• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: September 13-19

Bebpo

Banned
Last I looked Blue Roses has 25 ratings on PSN. If you are generous and figure 1 in 10 people who buy something take 5 seconds to give it a star rating, that means it sold 250 digital copies

:lol

It's even priced really fair at 4800yen compared to all these other 5000yen+ psp games. If I didn't dislike Flightplan games I'd be willing to give it a shot, but Fightplan doesn't click with me.

cvxfreak

Busaiku said:
I wonder if it'll be possible for Diamond/Pearl and Black/White to outsell Gold/Silver.
Diamond/Pearl did push 128k last year, and with Black/White, I think it could get a bit of a boost.
Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green were still selling 60k+, so I imagine Diamond/Pearl, at the very least could do it in 3 years.
I doubt it since Platinum is also around to take potential sales away.

Actually, given that Platinum outsold Crystal, we can say that Gen IV was even more popular than Gen II overall.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
To be fair, our current pop culture isn't saturated with Pikachu like it was back in the day. Good golly gosh though, that's a big number.

Also, Wii sales have died in the arse.

Most likely it will, as a matter of fact. New Year is still on the horizon and the release of NSMBW raised the profile of 3D Mario.

Last time I saw numbers for the original, they were just under a million.

Wii sales are about the same at this point last year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375233

Grimmy

Banned
Bebpo said:
Last I looked Blue Roses has 25 ratings on PSN. If you are generous and figure 1 in 10 people who buy something take 5 seconds to give it a star rating, that means it sold 250 digital copies

:lol

It's even priced really fair at 4800yen compared to all these other 5000yen+ psp games. If I didn't dislike Flightplan games I'd be willing to give it a shot, but Fightplan doesn't click with me.

How is the game anyhow? Any reactions from Japan? From Amazon.co.jp I see it currently has 3 stars....not so good.

And congrats to Monhun Diary: Pokapoka Airu Village and Capcom for shipping 500,000 of the game.

d+pad

Meier said:
I think it will in time. Should get a bit of a bump around the new year.

Still amazed Nintendo has not put out a Wii revision to spur sales..

Actually, I'm just amazed they haven't released a few limited/special edition colors/bundles. Why didn't they release a Famicom-colored or even a red Wii to go along with NSMBWii, for instance? (A pink Wii to go along with Kirby would be nice, too.)

Speaking of which, I'd be kind of amazed if they didn't try to re-promote NSMBWii around the end of the year.

AniHawk

Wait, so Pokemon BW is based off just two day of sales? ...and it still crushes all other sequel pokemon games?

AniHawk said:
Damnit Sakamoto didn't make Samus womanly enough.
They should probably push the sequel further. If Metroid doesn't get shiny bikinis and beach volleyball I'm worried it might run into a creative dead end just copying Super Metroid over and over again.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Wait, so Pokemon BW is based off just two day of sales? ...and it still crushes all other sequel pokemon games?
Since the Wii is dead, Nintendo had the ability to make more plastic cases and thus ship more copies right out the gate.

AniHawk

cvxfreak said:
Since the Wii is dead, Nintendo had the ability to make more plastic cases and thus ship more copies right out the gate.

Oh right. Forgot about the shortages.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
They should probably push the sequel further. If Metroid doesn't get shiny bikinis and beach volleyball I'm worried it might run into a creative dead end just copying Super Metroid over and over again.

Metroids in shiny bikinis? I'm in.

Anyway, if we want comparisons, it seems the furthest back our info goes in the OP is 2005. A similar week in 2005:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78630&page=4

Code:
GBM - 170,306
DS - 72,167
PSP - 70,152
PS2 - 24,396
GBASP - 11,147
GC - 1,882
GBA - 624
Xbox - 109

The PS2 is handily above, in year 5, where the Wii is in year 4. I don't have the time to calculate YTD's. The GC was d.e.a.d. already in its fourth year. The 360 is a marked improvement.

Celine

gundamkyoukai said:
That Wii number is really low . What is the lowest Wii have ever sold in japan for a week ?
Can't remember the exact number but it had week(s) lower than 10K.
I believe the lowest is around 8K.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AniHawk said:
Damnit Sakamoto didn't make Samus womanly enough.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm hoping the next game will be about her running a daycare and falling in love with Hugh Grant, a single father of one of the kids there.

Preferably it will have twelve times the number of crying scenes as Other M.

Nirolak said:
I'm hoping the next game will be about her running a daycare and falling in love with Hugh Grant, a single father of one of the kids there.

Preferably it will have twelve times the number of crying scenes as Other M.
Samus should be played by Julia Roberts as a warmhearted southern belle looking for Mr. Right, but who always ends up dating Mr. Wrong. Damn man, I think we're onto something here. I'm drafting an e-mail to Sakamoto. We'll see if he's really interested in what fans think.

Yoboman said:
So PS3 should be selling about ~1,882 right now?
Had this gen followed last gen's pattern, yes. Thing is, I'm becoming more and more convinced that this current gen was abnormal thanks to 3rd parties' hard-headedness when it came to the market leader, especially at the beginning of the generation. What's more, I'm becoming convinced that had Krazy Kaptain Ken Kutaragi not pulled a Spruce Goose on the triple, the PS3 would have won this generation in Japan. Not won it with the same force as its predecessor, obviously (I'm thinking a neck and neck race a la SNES vs Genesis in the US), but it would have outlasted the Wii thanks to third party support.

The PS3 resurgence post the Slim and a price drop actually shows that the insane Sony fanboys at the start of the generation may have been right. People in Japan actually were waiting in the wings to jump into the jacuzzi with Sony's new console. The power of the Sony brand may have meant little in the US and other markets, but it seems to still have some pull in Japan, where the company has its tentacles in everything.

Loss of momentum early on may have killed its chances at the number one spot before next gen arrives, but the PS3 number is robust, especially for a number 2 system and I attribute a big part of that to brand loyalty.

spwolf

The PS3 resurgence post the Slim and a price drop actually shows that the insane Sony fanboys at the start of the generation may have been right. People in Japan actually were waiting in the wings to jump into the jacuzzi with Sony's new console. The power of the Sony brand may have meant little in the US and other markets, but it seems to still have some pull in Japan, where the company has its tentacles in everything.

Loss of momentum early on may have killed its chances at the number one spot before next gen arrives, but the PS3 number is robust, especially for a number 2 system and I attribute a big part of that to brand loyalty.

blah, as if general public has any brand loyalty towards ps2 left anymore.... it is not like ps3 is selling 50k per week now...

if anything, this has shown us how little brand value means, at the end you still have to have competitive product at competitive price.

Bebpo

Banned
Grimmy said:
How is the game anyhow? Any reactions from Japan? From Amazon.co.jp I see it currently has 3 stars....not so good.

Not sure, haven't really looked around as I don't care much about the title. It looks nice enough. Like Dragon Shadow Spell or Flightplan's other nice sprite 2d srpgs. It's probably more of the same, so fans of those will dig it.

spwolf said:
blah, as if general public has any brand loyalty towards ps2 left anymore.... it is not like ps3 is selling 50k per week now...

if anything, this has shown us how little brand value means, at the end you still have to have competitive product at competitive price.
We're like four to six years into this generation. Nothing should be selling that much. The PS3 is doing market leader numbers right now. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ashes1396 said:
When if at anytime will there be a proper console version of Pokemon on console?
I'm guessing never. The cost of making such a thing would likely be astronomical relative to what Nintendo normally spends on console games.

This issue will be especially compounded when their next console goes HD.

Boney

Banned
I think it comes down to people not getting the software they wanted on the Wii and PS3 becoming affordable.

Celine

The power of the Sony brand is the same in US as it is in Japan, they were king of the hill just 5 years ago everywhere ( althought in America it has competition from Xbox brand that's irrilevant in Japan).
The gap in Japan between Wii and PS3 is so "small" more because the Wii never catched fire as it did in US or Europe if not for a brief period at the beginning than PS brand loyalty.
Still they both are doing average numbers.

EDIT:
We're like four to six years into this generation. Nothing should be selling that much. The PS3 is doing market leader numbers right now. That's nothing to sneeze at.
I sneeze at those "market leader numbers".
Both Xbox360 ( well in other markets ) and PS3 are enjoying more prominent sales in the latter half because of their abnormal high launch prices.

Normally slow early years coupled with a bursting competitor would mean a lose of third-party support in favor to your rival but it wasn't the case this gen.

Boney said:
I think it comes down to people not getting the software they wanted on the Wii and PS3 becoming affordable.
Moneyhatted JRPGs didn't do much to help the 360 and price drops did jack for the GCN. I'm thinking that sticker shock overcame brand loyalty for a lot of people and once that barrier was removed, the system got those sales.

But yeah, the software situation on the Wii didn't help.

Ashes

Banned
I wish we had a chart showing wii and ps3 sales this year. Year to date sales I guess is showing the wii downward trend and the ps3 holding steady rather then the ps3 selling above and beyond.

Boney said:
Pretty much it.

In no way, shape or form is PS3 the market leader.

Celine

Nirolak said:
I'm guessing never. The cost of making such a thing would likely be astronomical relative to what Nintendo normally spends on console games.

Yep, not counting that , like Monster Hunter, it would lose one of its selling factor.

KingDizzi

Banned
3 games I give a toss about doing well this year, one (well technically two) released this week and no shock the numbers are immense. MHP3G is next, 70 or so days left to release and already almost 2000k comgnet points so again that game will do massive numbers. Then there is GT5.........hope through some miracle that does 1 million lifetime. :/

AniHawk said:
A lot of things predate you here, but Tabris predated you by about 2 years before he was removed from these threads by unearthly men in black. Anyway, here's a small sample of his stuff.

Ah the good ol days, been lurking around this site for many years and honestly this forum peaked a few years ago. He does not post much anymore which is sad, same can be said for drinky crow. :(

Ashes

Banned
Nirolak said:

Agreed. Although art wise, it's not particularly stretched so shouldn't it be akin to a zelda title or something? Maybe even a mario galaxy?

btw what is the ball park figure for a nintendo production these days?

Celine said:
The power of the Sony brand is the same in US as it is in Japan, they were king of the hill just 5 years ago everywhere ( althought in America it has competition from Xbox brand that's irrilevant in Japan).
The gap in Japan between Wii and PS3 is so "small" more because the Wii never catched fire as it did in US or Europe if not for a brief period at the beginning than PS brand loyalty.
Still they both are doing average numbers.
Were you here for the start of the gen? The pacman charts? The jokes about Nintendomination? The all-Nintendo top 15? The Wii caught fire, all right. It just up and slowed right down in '09 when it became apparent that the audience wasn't going to get the software they wanted.

Also, brand loyalty to Sony in 2005 in the US and Europe didn't even compare to what it was like in Japan at the time. I remember reading a Time magazine article about how they had a corporate Midas touch and every business they entered turned to gold. People in Japan bought life insurance from Sony. No company has that kind of brand power or golden touch in the US right now, except maybe Apple or Google.

Celine said:
I sneeze at those "market leader numbers".
Both Xbox360 ( well in other markets ) and PS3 are enjoying more prominent sales in the latter half because of their abnormal high launch prices.

Normally slow early years coupled with a bursting competitor would mean a lose of third-party support in favor to your rival but it wasn't the case this gen.
That's basically what I'm saying - abnormally high launch price flattened out the adoption curve something wicked. It would have burst out of the gate and won otherwise.

Or are you saying PS3's current sales are reflective of a normal number two console?

BishopLamont said:
In no way, shape or form is PS3 the market leader.
In absolute numbers, never. I'd never argue something so daft. I'm not even predicting that it'll beat the Wii in an LTD comparison at the end of December. In steady-state week-by-week baseline numbers, though? It's doing what the market leader should be doing right now and certainly much better than your typical number two in Japan. I put forward my claim only as a hypothesis for the numbers we've seen over the last few years. I'm not trying to argue against established facts.

AniHawk

KingDizzi said:
Ah the good ol days, been lurking around this site for many years and honestly this forum peaked a few years ago. He does not post much anymore which is sad, same can be said for drinky crow. :(

The problem for Tabris is that he's actually banned from discussion in threads like these, but he still posts here. He was in a "why were you banned" thread on the OT recently explaining why he was right in every situation he was banned. aaaaand most of it was due to some nintendo vs sony/ds vs psp thing.

AniHawk

Boney said:
You can be banned for certain topics? I guess that's an old member/old gaf type of deal.

Well it's something Dragona I think enforces. Part of it was his own ban bet that's now part of his tag.

I dunno. I think he should be let back in when the new generation starts.

Celine

Moneyhatted JRPGs didn't do much to help the 360 and price drops did jack for the GCN. I'm thinking that sticker shock overcame brand loyalty for a lot of people and once that barrier was removed, the system got those sales.

But yeah, the software situation on the Wii didn't help.
Common JRPG is a dying genre in the sense that only few strong brand do great numbers ( Dragon Quest, final fantasy ).
There weren't that many japanese that wanted to play Sakaguchi's Lost Odissey or Blue Dragon.
The GC was a fantastic console ( the best designed by Nintendo from a technical point of view) but it was deeply flawed cause it lacked a distinctive differentiation factor and it had a bad timing.
In the end only Nintendo fans that longed for Nintendo core franchises bought it ( price cuts did little in the long run ), the rest owned a PS2 that had virtually the totality of third-party support.

Were you here for the start of the gen? The pacman charts? The jokes about Nintendomination? The all-Nintendo top 15? The Wii caught fire, all right. It just up and slowed right down in '09 when it became apparent that the audience wasn't going to get the software they wanted.

Also, brand loyalty to Sony in 2005 in the US and Europe didn't even compare to what it was like in Japan at the time. I remember reading a Time magazine article about how they had a corporate Midas touch and every business they entered turned to gold. People in Japan bought life insurance from Sony. No company has that kind of brand power or golden touch in the US right now, except maybe Apple or Google.

That's basically what I'm saying - abnormally high launch price flattened out the adoption curve something wicked. It would have burst out of the gate and won otherwise.

Or are you saying PS3's current sales are reflective of a normal number two console?

In absolute numbers, never. I'd never argue something so daft. I'm not even predicting that it'll beat the Wii in an LTD comparison at the end of December. In steady-state week-by-week baseline numbers, though? It's doing what the market leader should be doing right now and certainly much better than your typical number two in Japan. I put forward my claim only as a hypothesis for the numbers we've seen over the last few years. I'm not trying to argue against established facts.
You're comparing a time where consoles were the market leader or at least split with handhelds, to now, where handhelds are clear winners. It was PS2/GBA back then now its DS....everything else. Nothing is really second, all because of the software development landscape. Look at the DSi and LL, two revisions that are selling comparable to both "second and third" home consoles, that just shows how dominant the DS is.

Saying its selling like a market leader/second place console or whatever you wanna call it is just cherry topping for no reason and promotes ignorance towards the bigger picture as a whole (not calling you ignorant).

AniHawk said:
I dunno. I think he should be let back in when the new generation starts.
I support this.

Celine said:
Common JRPG is a dying genre in the sense that only few strong brand do great numbers ( Dragon Quest, final fantasy ).
There weren't that many japanese that wanted to play Sakaguchi's Lost Odissey or Blue Dragon.
The GC was a fantastic console ( the best designed by Nintendo from a technical point of view) but it was deeply flawed cause it lacked a distinctive differentiation factor and it had a bad timing.
In the end only Nintendo fans that longed for Nintendo core franchises bought it ( price cuts did little in the long run ), the rest owned a PS2 that had virtually the totality of third-party support.
This was at the beginning of the gen, coming at a time just after the greatest JRPG generation and at a time when there was a dearth of the genre on consoles. It should have helped a lot more than it did, coming off the PS2. I agree that console JRPGs are dying though.

Also, my point was that GCN never really benefited from the price cuts. All they did was to keep sales at the status quo rather than boost them a la the PS3. The PS3 must therefore have had something the GCN lacked. I contend that this was a mixture of brand name and 3rd party software.

Celine

I would like to ask you with what software could PS3 "won" ( not that Wii or PS3 can aspire to be market leader in japan ).
On the console space it is clear that there was a lack of new hit games ( I'm talking about 1 million plus new software ) outside of Nintendo.

As a side note I say that I believe the high price for PS3 was inevitable due to the attrition war with Microosft in the west.

This was at the beginning of the gen, coming at a time just after the greatest JRPG generation and at a time when there was a dearth of the genre on consoles. It should have helped a lot more than it did, coming off the PS2. I agree that console JRPGs are dying though.

Also, my point was that GCN never really benefited from the price cuts. All they did was to keep sales at the status quo rather than boost them a la the PS3. The PS3 must therefore have had something the GCN lacked. I contend that this was a mixture of brand name and 3rd party software.
The peak for the genre was during the PS1 hey days, no doubt about it ( I'm speaking sales-wise obviously ).
Don't understand how could have helped more Blue Dragon or Lost Odissey, really.
New IPs with old gameplay in a genre that has already seen its prime time.

On GC I think we agree. It was desiderable only by core Nintendo fans while for the rest there was the PS2.
While not receiving the same support as the handhelds ( but bigger budget are required ) PS3 has the third-party favor that Wii lacks ( but PS3 unfortunately lacks Nintendo :lol ).

Celine, PS3 could have competed with its launch software and the strong support it received in its first two years. Had its launch not been as bungled, there needn't have been the situation we saw where Wii Sports alone had outsold every single piece of PS3 software combined.

BishopLamont said:
You're comparing a time where consoles were the market leader or at least split with handhelds, to now, where handhelds are clear winners. It was PS2/GBA back then now its DS....everything else. Nothing is really second, all because of the software development landscape. Look at the DSi and LL, two revisions that are selling comparable to both "second and third" home consoles, that just shows how dominant the DS is.

Saying its selling like a market leader/second place console or whatever you wanna call it is just cherry topping for no reason and promotes ignorance towards the bigger picture as a whole (not calling you ignorant).
I see this argument made all the time, but I don't think it holds. Yes, the handheld market has grown substantially at the expense of the console market, but I don't think they should be seen as competing directly because things like budgets, values and the types of games available all tend to differ. One pie got bigger and the other got smaller, but (to stretch the analogy further) once the pies are baked (i.e. when customers decide which segment they're in), they can be treated as distinct.

In that respect, I must reiterate that the PS3 is punching well above its weight. In previous generations, sales would be humming along at post-peak numbers with the non-leading consoles trailing well behind in a YTD comparison.

Top Bottom