• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: September 13-19

duckroll said:
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Yakuza 3 showed that it's not impossible to do. Not only did Sega get approval from Sony to do it, but they also charged a discounted price for it. Although that might have more to do with removing content and an incomplete localization, rather than just having subs.

We'll see what Sega does for Yakuza 4, and if any other publishers decide to try that business model out.

I'd really like to know the cost to add an english subtitle track and english menus. I just can't believe the cost would outweigh adding the games to PSN and selling them for $40.

ksamedi

charlequin said:
Irrelevant to the point I'm making. You can make literally the exact same argument about HD to spell out why Wii isn't "really" in the running in the console market and I think everyone would agree that such an argument would be ludicrous.

But motion controls make consoles 'meaningfully distinct' as you put it, much more so that HD or big TV's or big budgets. The set of genres that are possible on handhelds and home consoles are not fully overlapped. Thats why I believe there will always be a significant market for both home consoles and handhelds.

cw_sasuke said:
Even though Iwata stated many time how important strong 3rd party support is even for nintendo ? why publish games like monster hunter and dragon quest in the west when they dont care or dont think that they need 3rds partys.

If 3rd party games don't sell on Wii it's not Nintendo fault
the 3rd party companies stopped to support Wii, but Nintendo games still sell very well in every market, so what cares to Nintendo if only their games make profit ?
nothing

Nintendo also published games during GC era (Soul Calibur II, just to mention one title) but 3rd party software was lacking on the system, and Nintendo didn't care so much about that.
Gamecube was profitable for Nintendo, both on hardware and software, Wii is much much better in term of profits, even without a strong support from external companies.
i think this is the only thing that cares to them

duckroll

demosthenes said:
I'd really like to know the cost to add an english subtitle track and english menus. I just can't believe the cost would outweigh adding the games to PSN and selling them for $40.

It's not really just "English subtitle track and English menus" though. Translating a ton of text, editing it to read and flow well, and running the product through enough QA cycles to ensure a polished product is not exactly as cheap and easy as you make it sound. That's not to say you don't save a lot by not having to cast and record voices.

ksamedi said:
But motion controls make consoles 'meaningfully distinct' as you put it, much more so that HD or big TV's or big budgets.

That would mean that we only had one home console until Move came out, at which point we had two. The existence of motion control is if anything a more arbitrary standard to judge by here than "handheld" vs. "home console."

The set of genres that are possible on handhelds and home consoles are not fully overlapped.

The set of genres possible on Wii and PS360 aren't fully overlapped either. :lol

Regardless, the point is more about how these systems operate from a business and market perspective. The games and genres on different systems never align perfectly, but they still compete against one another when they're directly jockeying for the same consumer spending and the same development capital. In Japan now, the idea of "handheld" and "console" development as entirely separate worlds is basically gone and there's demonstrable evidence that the separation is reduced or absent on the consumer side as well.

duckroll said:
That would be the case if it's the only version of the game on the market... like Blue Roses.
Are you implying that Blue Roses would have had more sales if it was multiplatform?

But I thought Flight Plan went out of business for a reason. :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First week expectations from azalyn

[PSP] Black Leopard: A New Tale of Yakuza (Sega) - 150.000 (>50% sell-through)
[PSP] Durarara!! 3-way Standoff (ASCII Media Works) - 20.000 (50% sell-through)
[PSP] Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Ryouran Sangokushi Engi - Wu-Hen (Yeti) - 12.000 (>50% sell-through)
+ very strong Pokemon sales

Fularu

Banned
charlequin said:
The set of genres possible on Wii and PS360 aren't fully overlapped either. :lol
I'm curious, which genres can be done on the P360 that can't be done on the Wii? (I can see the other way round for now, but this will be a thing of the past once both Move and Kinect are out)

onipex

Moor-Angol said:
If 3rd party games don't sell on Wii it's not Nintendo fault
the 3rd party companies stopped to support Wii, but Nintendo games still sell very well in every market, so what cares to Nintendo if only their games make profit ?
nothing

Nintendo also published games during GC era (Soul Calibur II, just to mention one title) but 3rd party software was lacking on the system, and Nintendo didn't care so much about that.
Gamecube was profitable for Nintendo, both on hardware and software, Wii is much much better in term of profits, even without a strong support from external companies.
i think this is the only thing that cares to them

People just assume that Nintendo does not care because their games sell. That makes no sense business wise because Nintendo makes more money with healthy third party support than they do without it.

Japanese Market Overview as of 09/12/2010 (Famitsu) (not complete of course)
*Pokémon Black/White is included

259y105.png

The NDS should pass the PS1 soon.

ksamedi said:
Although you make a fair point I don't think I agree. I remember that there was a time where both Wii and DS were doing amazing numbers. Both of them declined but I don't think the decline of the Wii was because of the DS or PSP. I don't think there is anything that points to that actually. It's far more likely to have declined because of poor software support.

Where did that software support go? Yes some of it went to the HD systems but alot of it went to the DS and PSP.

So whether or not you think handhelds and consoles are competing with each other for consumers dollars (which is silly in my opinion anyway) they are still fighting for dev support.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Previous entries for next week's important releases (Famitsu)

[PS2] Okami (Capcom) - 67.768 / 147.627

[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki FC (Nihon Falcom) - 14.610 / 32.712
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki SC (Nihon Falcom) - 25.881 / 56.515
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd (Nihon Falcom) - 48.737 / 77.972

[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (Bandai Namco) - 61.469 / 140.863
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road (Bandai Namco) - 41.988 / 97.739

[360] Dead Rising (Capcom) - 22.240 / 68.078

EDIT: Media Create numbers

[PS2] Okami (Capcom) - 60.161 / 142.676

[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki FC (Nihon Falcom) - 14.113 / 114.161
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki SC (Nihon Falcom) - 23.728 / 92.954
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd (Nihon Falcom) - 38.805 / 80.030

[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (Bandai Namco) - 70.559 / 140.706
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road (Bandai Namco) - 44.337 / 114.563

[360] Dead Rising (Capcom) - 20.230 / 42.397

Opiate

I believe Basketball competes with home consoles, let alone the DS. The question is always a matter of the amount of overlap, not whether they absolutely do or absolutely do not.

The time and money people spend on handhelds appears to strongly overlap in Japan and modestly overlap in the US. That overlap seems to have been increasing in both territories.

Grimmy

Banned
Captain Smoker said:

259y105.png

This list makes no sense. There's no way PCE sold less software than XB360.

I think 8 titles might have something to do with it?

Ok looks like the chart is incomplete...so is the ltd software accounting just the number of titles tracked or is it the ltd for all titles for a particular console?

Linkup

FME doesn't exactly sit in a genre with a great sells past.

Chromehounds, Armored Core, and Gundam games didn't exactly light up the sells charts in the US and Europe. I think the chances are pretty good that this game cost more to make than any past FM game and also pretty good that it flops in the US and EU with the typical lame/nonexistent marketing. Reviews score are probably going to be a mixed bag with most being pretty low, like 60-70% low.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu started extrapolating numbers for Japanese market after 16/09/96. Before then they used to post just top 30 with points from a very limited number of stores. It's obvious we miss almost every game before N64/PSX/SAT generation and even these aren't complete.

charlequin said:
That would mean that we only had one home console until Move came out, at which point we had two. The existence of motion control is if anything a more arbitrary standard to judge by here than "handheld" vs. "home console."

Regardless, the point is more about how these systems operate from a business and market perspective. The games and genres on different systems never align perfectly, but they still compete against one another when they're directly jockeying for the same consumer spending and the same development capital. In Japan now, the idea of "handheld" and "console" development as entirely separate worlds is basically gone and there's demonstrable evidence that the separation is reduced or absent on the consumer side as well.
I haven't had time to respond to your point properly, but I would argue that from a consumer perspective, usage patterns are still the significant differentiator between the handheld and console markets, just as it is between the fixed and mobile phone markets.

Changing technology, lifestyles and perceptions of the products in the marketplace have changed, however. Just as many gen Yers forgo the landline and go mobile only thanks to falling prices, better coverage and a lifestyle on the move, more people in Japan are going handheld-only thanks to better software, the commoditisation of wireless Internet and the existing downtime commuters face each day on public transport.

Will there always be a market for fixed line phones? Most certainly: they provide a contact point akin to a fixed address, are cheaper to use and are more reliable - values mobile phones will never be able to match thanks to the perceived "disposability" of the mobile device, the architecture of the cellular network and the nature of the wireless channel.

Likewise, the home console provides larger screen entertainment at home, multiplayer on the couch, arguably better ergonomics and the overwhelming majority of high-production, long play session tent-pole games. Not being constrained by the problems of size, portability or battery life, handhelds cannot hope to match consoles on a point-by-point basis and certainly do not provide the same type of experiences.

My view is that existing pressures combined with new technology and changing lifestyles are the cause of the handheld revolution, rather than handhelds somehow "catching up" to consoles in some way (software, production values) and the markets merging. The values that differentiate both are still there and as long as that is true, there will be needs each provides that do not overlap.

Yes, the home console market is shrinking. I say that much like the market for phones, this is because a section of the market that was always underserved now have a new kind of product that meets their needs better. This isn't to say that the iPhone competes with your Samsung cordless landline phone directly however, and the number of people with both will be much higher than people with two competing mobile phones.

Apply this to the game market and you see the same thing - multi-console ownership has always been low and remains so. Same with multi-handheld ownership I wager. Owning both a handheld and a console, on the other hand isn't so unusual. Until this difference disappears (and it may someday) I won't see the two markets as having merged in a meaningful way.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Changing technology, lifestyles and perceptions of the products in the marketplace have changed, however. Just as many gen Yers forgo the landline and go mobile only thanks to falling prices, better coverage and a lifestyle on the move, more people in Japan are going handheld-only thanks to better software, the commoditisation of wireless Internet and the existing downtime commuters face each day on public transport.

That's kind of the gist of my argument, though! There used to be a time that it made sense to distinguish between people's "phone number" and "mobile number," because everyone had a home phone and if they had a cell it was for extra accessibility on the go or for business or something. After a certain shift in the marketplace happened (some point that's difficult to pin down precisely but easier the less resolution you use), it no longer made sense to refer to people's "phone numbers" and mean their home landline because so many people are mobile only, or primarily mobile with a landline they don't usually use, or whatever. Nowadays, polling firms can't get accurate poll data just from calling landlines, looking at use data for landlines doesn't give you a remotely accurate picture of what phone use overall is like, you can't count landline phone numbers to find residences, etc.

My contention is that the Japanese game market has mostly or entirely undertaken a similar transition -- whereas previously handhelds filled a purely supplemental role as secondary systems or children's devices, they have moved to a position where you can't extract a meaningful picture of "the market" by looking only at home consoles, because so much of what's happening in the market is tied up in these two devices whose form factor would've clearly separated them in the past, but which today are massively outselling home consoles, snapping up big franchises that used to be console-only, and otherwise reshaping the market through their own successes.

The values that differentiate both are still there and as long as that is true, there will be needs each provides that do not overlap.

How does that differ from the Wii/HD split, though? I think it's fair to say that people who have attempted to split the Wii off as its "own thing" and thereby declare 360 as the "US market leader for real consoles" or whatever have been consistently mocked for this position, but it's based on similar principles: the 360 and PS3 offer fundamentally distinct benefits and drawbacks compared to the Wii (which is, at least up until about now, very much true) and therefore should be "counted" separately.

Ashes

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
PS2 Third Party % 91.12
Wii Third Party % 25.17

PS2 was a monster for Third Parties holy cow.

I don't know if that's conclusive. But I will say that even the ps3 seems to be beating the wii where third parties are concerned. And in Japan no less.

hsukardi

Ashes1396 said:
Even the ps3 seems to be beating the wii where third parties are concerned. And in Japan no less.

There used to be a time on GAF where you could get utterly slammed for saying something like this.

Osuwari

i noticed that the first party numbers for the SNES are abnormally low relative to the platform's sucess. could this be an efect of incomplete software sales or were nintendo's games selling very low outside the big guns like SMW and SMK?

I didn't know that the N64 had so little third party support. The wii dosne't look quite as bad, but its still terrible. Nintendo needs to increase and diversify their output if they are going it alone.

I am rather curious about how Blue Roses does in its second week; that'll be the real test re: whether or not it ends up being a losing proposition for NIS and ApolloSoft. The game got straight 7s in Famitsu, so I'm not sure how good its word of mouth will be. I doubt it'll really do much to sink NISA, but it might mean trouble for ApolloSoft, depending on how much BR actually cost to make.

If BR can manage to get above 20k by the end of the month, I think it'll end up doing alright for itself.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I haven't had time to respond to your point properly, but I would argue that from a consumer perspective, usage patterns are still the significant differentiator between the handheld and console markets, just as it is between the fixed and mobile phone markets.

Will there always be a market for fixed line phones? Most certainly: they provide a contact point akin to a fixed address, are cheaper to use and are more reliable - values mobile phones will never be able to match thanks to the perceived "disposability" of the mobile device, the architecture of the cellular network and the nature of the wireless channel.

Likewise, the home console provides larger screen entertainment at home, multiplayer on the couch, arguably better ergonomics and the overwhelming majority of high-production, long play session tent-pole games. Not being constrained by the problems of size, portability or battery life, handhelds cannot hope to match consoles on a point-by-point basis and certainly do not provide the same type of experiences.

My view is that existing pressures combined with new technology and changing lifestyles are the cause of the handheld revolution, rather than handhelds somehow "catching up" to consoles in some way (software, production values) and the markets merging. The values that differentiate both are still there and as long as that is true, there will be needs each provides that do not overlap.

Yes, the home console market is shrinking. I say that much like the market for phones, this is because a section of the market that was always underserved now have a new kind of product that meets their needs better. This isn't to say that the iPhone competes with your Samsung cordless landline phone directly however, and the number of people with both will be much higher than people with two competing mobile phones.

Apply this to the game market and you see the same thing - multi-console ownership has always been low and remains so. Same with multi-handheld ownership I wager. Owning both a handheld and a console, on the other hand isn't so unusual. Until this difference disappears (and it may someday) I won't see the two markets as having merged in a meaningful way.
From the moment you see Japanese third parties move main entries of important series to handhelds (Dragon Quest, Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts) you know the two markets have merged. It will get better (or worse of some people) with 3DS.

hsukardi

Ashes1396 said:
Even if you are just commenting on the stats presented above?

Yep. Those days are gone now.. in the past there used to be a ton of excuses made for Nintendo for this particular argument. Of course, Sony and Microsoft fans make up their own excuses for their particular failures.

Koren

hsukardi said:
Yep. Those days are gone now.. in the past there used to be a ton of excuses made for Nintendo for this particular argument.
Still, I think it's true that if you compare 3rd-party offerings on Wii and PS3, you can't really expect similar sales... I won't say 3rd party didn't tried, but it's obvious they haven't tried enough, or failed. I refuse to believe only Nintendo games can sell on a Nintendo console.

Celine

hsukardi said:
Yep. Those days are gone now.. in the past there used to be a ton of excuses made for Nintendo for this particular argument. Of course, Sony and Microsoft fans make up their own excuses for their particular failures.
Nah.
Initially total third-party sales for Wii hold up with PS3 ones because Wii hardware sales were booming and despite having clearly less prominent 3rd party efforts Wii had the upper hand even there ( if memory serves me right ).
There was hope that seeing Wii success japanese third parties would embrace the underdog platform that became dominant.
As we know , with the exception of one game, that wasn't the case at all.

The average sales for Famicom games back in time was incredible.
Less games that sold way more.

Koren

Celine said:
The average sales for Famicom games back in time was incredible.
Less games that sold way more.
Forget that... The list is just incomplete. There's more games than that, and those in the table are most probably the 51 biggest success.

Thus, the mean number for those is indeed incredible... and most probably the 1st-party ratio is higher than it's really is.

If you take the 51 best-selling games on PS2, you're at 50millions units sold, thus their average is 1 million.

Remove Super Mario Bros from NES numbers (pack-in) and you'll get very similar numbers.

Prediction League (09/27-10/03)

[NDS] Okamiden (Capcom) -
[PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega) -
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) -
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) -
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) -
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) -

Btw, found in YSO numbers for some Sora no Kiseki PC entries:
 **,*** / 36,953 英雄伝説 空の軌跡 the 3rd (PC, 2007/6/28)
 **,*** / 57,246 英雄伝説 空の軌跡SC (PC, 2006/3/9)

Aru

Predictions:

[NDS] Okamiden (Capcom) - 75k
[PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega) - 22k
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 35k
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) - 20k
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 70k
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 25k

duckroll

Predictions:

[NDS] Okamiden (Capcom) - 60k
[PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega) - 60k
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 60k
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) - 60k
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 60k
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 10k

Spiegel

[NDS] Okamiden (Capcom) - 65k
[PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega) - 120k
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 55k
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) - 45k
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 70k
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 12k

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

In both cases, I'd argue that you can't view things in terms of what's distinct and what's not, but rather what's good enough and what isn't. Fixed line phones are more reliable, but maybe mobile phones are already/will soon be considered reliable enough, for instance. I know I value reliability, yet have only few complaints pertaining to reliability with my cellphone. Pricing seems to be the biggest remaining hurdle, and since I'm no expert, I don't know whether that has any chance of ever being cheap enough.

As for consoles, the original Gameboy didn't have many multiplayer games, they were 2-player at best, they required a link cable and 2 cartridges, and the screen sucked. By all accounts, multiplayer wasn't a convenient, comfortable experience. Today, they allow for up to 8 players local (see MKDS), are wireless, have online play sometimes and better ergonomics. It's true that they might never be as good as home systems on that front, but if they're good enough and add other values that home systems don't share and customers care about those values, then home systems will effectively lose their edge. They might not disappear (and God knows I don't want them to, I like home systems), but they might be relegated to a niche market. Also, if you view multiplayer as a way for people to bond (however superficial that bonding may sound), then I'd argue things like the 3DS qill likely be better than home systems in some respect — assuming Nintendo doesn't screw up... assuming —, because they allow you to meet people with the tag mode in a way that home systems can never. This kind of features at least will be very important in Japan, as demonstrated by DQIX and Pokémon B&W.

To me, the best case for handheld/home cohabitation is the software. Unless handhelds can some day provide fitness software that's good enough for most people (which, as unrealistic as it sounds now, I wouldn't discount), home systems will have value. As long as companies can create software that consumers want and isn't feasible in any way on handheld systems, home systems will be fine. But then, the day might come when they can't any longer, who knows.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Koren said:
Forget that... The list is just incomplete. There's more games than that, and those in the table are most probably the 51 biggest success.

Thus, the mean number for those is indeed incredible... and most probably the 1st-party ratio is higher than it's really is.

If you take the 51 best-selling games on PS2, you're at 50millions units sold, thus their average is 1 million.

Remove Super Mario Bros from NES numbers (pack-in) and you'll get very similar numbers.
The list includes 42 million sellers + 9 random games. I don't think Nintendo bundled Super Mario Bros in Japan.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The rise of the handhelds in Japan had an obvious negative impact to the home consoles but I don't think the term "merging" represents the situation accordingly.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions:

[NDS] Okamiden (Capcom) - 65.432
[PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega) - 123.456
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 56.789
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) - 43.210
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 54.321
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 32.109

yurinka

Captain Smoker said:

259y105.png

Wow, PSP sold in Japan more games than GameCube, N64, all Sega, both Xboxes and all non-Nintendo portables, and close to Wii.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
yurinka said:
Wow, PSP sold in Japan more games than GameCube, N64, all Sega, both Xboxes and all non-Nintendo portables, and close to Wii.
Being close to Wii with 2 years headstart isn't a compliment.

duckroll

I know that K-On is probably going to sell more than 60k, but I'm too stubborn to change it because I feel the general demand for all the titles next week are about 60k each. :(

No, it's because I hate K-On, and all K-On fans. :(

Koren

yurinka said:
Again, take that with a grain of salt, the list is incomplete, probably for any console pre-2000. Do you really believe that SNES has 152 games, FC has 51, PCE only 8? N64 count is also doubtful.

But the position of the PSP software could still be right.

When Famitsu began to count games in units, by the way? They used to use a "point" system, in the 8-16 bit era?

[NDS] Okamiden (Capcom) - 75k
[PSP] K-On! After School Live!! (Sega) - 50k
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 45k
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) - 25k
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 30k
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom) - 15k

Top Bottom