• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2012 (Mar 26 - Apr 01)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It seems it's time for Square-Enix to actually activate the famous "Plan N"
Nintendo + Dragon Quest Action RPG.
Millions, baby.

At this rate, I won't be surprised if the next DQ game for the 3DS (Monsters I think) won't reach over 1m.

3D is the next KH from the Osaka team (BBS), the other 2 are outsourced, lower profile spinoffs with no new disney worlds and one of them is basically a cellphone port with new battle systems.

Which IMO is a mistake to do with your franchise because people don't always know that and the just know they played one of the other 2 and didn't like it as much so they became less interested in the series. Still like I said I think the sales were maybe a little weak, I would have thought maybe 300k. I just don't think you can ignore a difference in 15 million platform owners when comparing them. And a sales difference of a hundred thousand is miniscule when talking about 15 million system owners.

SykoTech

Man, so even the handheld-centric Japanese market doesn't seem to care as much about Kingdom Hearts on handhelds these days.

Hope SE finally wakes up and gets the franchise back on the top. They're completely squandering its potential.

Alex

Id like to get one of the new KH games a go but I've yet to play one since the first and I can only imagine how lost and confused I'd be. :lol

I think franchise fatigue is setting in for Kingdom Hearts.
This is sort of where I stand. They just keep piling more and more onto a story that was pretty dire to start with and I've come to the point where I just want them to shed all the baggage and start fresh. A Kingdom Hearts 3 where they bring the current story to a close isn't going to do it for me any more. Not having played the GBA or DS games doesn't help either. Here's hoping that they'll make it easier for people to get into the franchise again once they got 3 out of the way.

Mario007 said:
Look I want 3DS to succeed, I own one, but it's pretty obvious that most of those 5 million people seem to be interested in Mario rather than any of these more core gaming experiences.
That seems to be the general trend among humans.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Id like to get one of the new KH games a go but I've yet to play one since the first and I can only imagine how lost and confused I'd be. :lol

Just know this; there are plenty of people who have played most or every game and have no idea what is going on.

Hero

That makes it sound like a problem that can be fixed by waiting out the 3DS as it grows its install base. I would say instead that Square-Enix's overall shittiness is a key factor for a series like Kingdom Hearts.

My instinct here is that the problem is that Square-Enix has dicked around with spinoffs for too long and people are starting to realize that there is never going to be a Kingdom Hearts 3.

At this point we're seeing franchise decline for pretty much all of SE's Japanese properties across all systems. There are individual explanations in each case, but I think the general explanation here is simpler.

I have to agree here on the perfomance on KH. I mean hell, how many spin-off games have there been since KH2? 4 by my count? Asking fans to buy all these non-KH3 games for 7 years now since KH2 and maintain that kind of sakes consistency is pretty conceited. One just has to look at SE's last bomba, FFXIII-2 to see the effect that franchise fatigue has.

I think the real concern here is how relevant Square-Enix is going to be in Japan in the next few years if all the population still cares enough about to buy are Dragon Quest games. I believe both FF and KH brands are damaged, FF needs to release Versus and then chill out for a while and KH just needs to have the sequel the fans have been waiting for.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have to agree here on the perfomance on KH. I mean hell, how many spin-off games have there been since KH2? 4 by my count? Asking fans to buy all these non-KH3 games for 7 years now since KH2 and maintain that kind of sakes consistency is pretty conceited. One just has to look at SE's last bomba, FFXIII-2 to see the effect that franchise fatigue has.

I think the real concern here is how relevant Square-Enix is going to be in Japan in the next few years if all the population still cares enough about to buy are Dragon Quest games. I believe both FF and KH brands are damaged, FF needs to release Versus and then chill out for a while and KH just needs to have the sequel the fans have been waiting for.

They are banking on social and phone games like everyone else.

Is that considered a bomba for KH? I was expecting much higher. Damn.

Most of our pre-release discussion was talking about a performance in the neighborhood of BbS as being solid and one in the neighborhood of 179 Days being on the poor side. This is worse.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Maybe the KH look like a surprise to many but they are in line with most retailers' expectations. YSO predictions were at that range.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
WTH at people calling Kid Icarus a disappointment. A month ago most people were expecting the title to barely hit 100k, and now it's pretty much a lock for 250k+ LTD. Considering it might as well be a new IP, I would say those numbers are pretty good. Also, as for 3DS titles "underperforming" I would point you to the new Harvest Moon for established franchises selling better on 3DS.

And people saying KH:DDD should of been a PSP title, you are only considering the japanese market. 3DS is a much better choice for such a franchise that sells so well both in the western AND eastern market. Though I do have to agree that the KH:DDD numbers are disappointing.

Tron 2.0

SE and Nomura have really mishandled the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

KH3 should have been released five years ago. Versus has become such an albatross to the entire company.

muu

factors I would consider:

* BbS launched almost right after new years. Younger kids have the most disposable income at this time period, making purchases easier. There were also no serious games for the PSP launching at the same time vying for users' mindshare. KI launched a week prior for 3DS, and while not a real series title, the marketing blitz Nintendo's provided likely resulted in some cannibalized sales.
* DS/PSP userbase at time of release. It does take a serious fan to buy a system for a game.
* Number of previous SquareEnix games/RPGs/etc prior to release. This is the big one IMO, Square's obviously shown they're ramping up support for 3DS but we've only seen the start of things. Only thing 3DS has had Square-wise so far is Theatrhythm, which has the looks of a cash-in if you don't have access to the demo. Both DS and PSP releases came after waves of SE titles, and that's a userbase that may not necessarily buy a system for KH, but will buy KH if they already owned the system.

Numbers could have been a lot better but I wouldn't say it's at bomba range. I'd be interested to see how SE follows up over the years though; maybe I'm wrong here but Nomura-ish titles like Dissidia and Crisis Core share a similar userbase with KH, and if they don't end up migrating those types of titles to the 3DS at a later date then this KH3D launch would have been a complete waste. Like many people in the thread have said it would have sold double on the PSP easy. It'd be like Capcom making MH3G and then going back to PSP/Vita for MH4P.

Xater

How is that going to work? "Hey everybody, just so you know, when Nomura's team finishes working on this Versus game that is never coming out, they will leap immediately to working on this Kingdom Hearts 3 game that will also never come out"?

They should just say "Fuck it!", rename Versus to KH3, put in Disney characters and be done with it. Doesn't matter that the story is totally different, because no one understands what is going on in KH anyway!

Alex

Just know this; there are plenty of people who have played most or every game and have no idea what is going on.

That franchise is like a decade old now, I wonder if the convolution hurts bringing in lapsed and newer generations of fans into it. I also wonder that about Metal Gear, too, though. After 4 and it's hype cloud dissipated, that is and how it will do in the future.

so much for Pit and Palutena. :(

It's a really good game but I don't understand what they were thinking with the controls. I realize it started life as a Wii game but it's like after they moved it they refused to redesign anything because the game would likely work FLAWLESSLY on the Wii with IR and extra in-reach buttons.

I do like it, again, but I wonder what word of mouth is like in a lot of spots since I can't even play the thing without the stand, myself... Not so great for a handheld game.

Kingdom Hearts is a Bomba.
PSVita on life support.

The market is too risky nowadays and the 3DS is not helping to alienate those fears. Not a good situation.

ZenaxPure

And people saying KH:DDD should of been a PSP title, you are only considering the Japan market. 3DS is a much better choice for such a franchise that sells so well both in the western AND eastern market. Though I do have to agree that the KH:DDD numbers are a bit disappointing.

Yeah, it probably would of done a lot more in Japan on PSP but then absolutely abysmal sales anywhere else. They are probably taking a hit here due to the small install base of the 3DS in Japan compared to the PSP or even the DS but this way it actually has a chance outside of Japan.

Personally I don't think the numbers are that surprising given how few (in comparison to PSP/DS) 3DSes are out there.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Awesome 3DS numbers (colors!) but those make KH's debut even more disappointing.
Decent little bump for Vita, see? Release *games*.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
WTH at people calling Kid Icarus a disappointment. A month ago most people were expecting the title to barely hit 100k, and now it's pretty much a lock for 250k+ LTD. Considering it might as well be a new IP, I would say those numbers are pretty good. Also, as for 3DS titles "underperforming" I would point you to the new Harvest Moon for established franchises selling better on 3DS.
It did well above my expectations. I am just disappointed because, for a moment, it looked like it wasn't gonna have such a big drop-off.

wrowa

A friend of mine lives currently in Japan and even though he considers himself a KH fan he was hesitant to pick up KH3D. Why? Because the memories of the DS games put him off.

Throwing two half-assed, low-budget spin-offs on the market might have actually salted the ground on Nintendo handhelds. That and the neverending flood of KH "sidegames". Even though the games after KH2 have been pretty substantial nevertheless, many people still regard them as "just" spin-offs or lesser parts of the series -- I think it's time to finally develop KH3.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kingdom Hearts is a Bomba.
PSVita on life support.

The market is too risky nowadays and the 3DS is not helping to alienate those fears. Not a good situation.

No plattform alone can or will be able to sustain the console market, the home console area will need WiiU, the same way the portable will and should find a place for Vita.

I think in general most Gaffers seem to have just way to high expectations. I look around and there is tons of competition for these handheld titles nowadays and publishers are still charging +5-6000k when social and mobile games are pretty much for free.

L5 sold around 400K witch Layton and Inazuma 11 last year on a system which just had passed the 5 million market and people acted as if they were to go bankrupt in a minute. Expectation needs be checked, enviroment has changed and if you arent Mario, Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest you better adjust the development costs correctly to at least make your money.

Anything past 300-400K great is a very good result for personally and there arent many handheld games i would expect to sell way more in the markets current state.

Anything less than 600K ltd for 3D would be disappointing, i hope its one of the games which will rise again once the Redesign is out. Or maybe there will be a Final Mix version for both handhelds next year.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's a really good game but I don't understand what they were thinking with the controls. I realize it started life as a Wii game but it's like after they moved it they refused to redesign anything because the game would likely work FLAWLESSLY on the Wii with IR and extra in-reach buttons.

I do like it, again, but I wonder what word of mouth is like in a lot of spots since I can't even play the thing without the stand, myself... Not so great for a handheld game.
This is the nation that introduced the Monster Hunter claw though. Unorthodox control designs are not an impediment for Japan.

Alex

This is the nation that introduced the Monster Hunter claw though. Unorthodox control designs are not an impediment for Japan.

I tore through all of freedom unite without the claw or anything else and a method of finger movement isn't akin to a physical plastic stand in any case.

Monster hunters controls are eccentric, but they also make sense to its design whereas kid icarus just feels crippled to me. I still like the game, really good game, but it should've been on wii or it should've been redesigned when it was moved, that's just my opinion on it.

No plattform alone can or will be able to sustain the console market, the home console area will need WiiU, the same way the portable will and should find a place for Vita.

I think in general most Gaffers seem to have just way to high expectations. I look around and there is tons of competition for these handheld titles nowadays and publishers are still charging +5-6000k when social and mobile games are pretty much for free.

L5 sold around 400K witch Layton and Inazuma 11 last year on a system which just had passed the 5 million market and people acted as if they were to go bankrupt in a minute. Expectation needs be checked, enviroment has changed and if you arent Mario, Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest you better adjust the development costs correctly to at least make your money.

Anything past 300-400K great is a very good result for personally and there arent many handheld games i would expect to sell way more in the markets current state.

Anything less than 600K ltd for 3D would be disappointing, i hope its one of the games which will rise again once the Redesign is out. Or maybe there will be a Final Mix version for both handhelds next year.

Also: all these titles surely are building a really strong reputation for 3DS; software houses should insist on this direction so we can see follow-ups opening better.

saichi

I'm not seeing any sign of legs yet.

Would be too soon to talk about legs but looks like a pretty healthy decline for 2nd week to me.

Dragon Quest Monsters will be the last big test for Square, methinks. They're probably already expecting Bravely Default to bomb.

define bombing. I would be pleasantly surprised if Bravely Default sells more than 4WOL. Are you expecting more?

I don't think there's an userbase issue with Kingdom Hearts. A few 3DS games have had way better opening weeks and those...didn't have those userbase problems? And maybe even solved them by moving hardware?

The few 3DS games with bigger opening are MK7, SM3DL, and MH3G. All 3 franchises are much bigger than KH.

Boney

Banned
Glad KI didn't have a 70+% drop. Hopefully word of mouth will carry it far.

that's not true at all.

define bombing. I would be pleasantly surprised if Bravely Default sells more than 4WOL. Are you expecting more?

I'm expecting much much more. SE is being very hands on with the release of timely demos as a prologue and they're gonna try to pass it off as the next big thing.

I'm not expecting FFIII numbers, but FFIVr numbers seem reasonable enough if the push and quality is there.

muu

I think people will get over the controls. Myself I can play w/o a stand just fine if I use my right pinky as extra support on the right side, others have devised their own way of playing comfortably. If local multiplayer amongst teens takes off, this kind of workaround for comfort will probably propagate alongside word of mouth for the game -- much easier to propose oddball methods of control when you're face-to-face with a person. As Regulus Tera has mentioned, see: MHP.

Of course, if local MP never takes off and it remains a mostly online affair for everyone, we'll probably end up with 300K LTD or so at best.

Alex

Glad KI didn't have a 70+% drop. Hopefully word of mouth will carry it far.

that's not true at all.

Really? That's what I heard a few times (and it sure seems like it was designed around that), apologies if I am mistaken.

I played it a ton the first day or so but it cramped up my wrists and I couldn't be assed to keep busting out the little stand each time so I just returned to Mario Kart :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I tore through all of freedom unite without the claw or anything else and a method of finger movement isn't akin to a physical plastic stand in any case.

Monster hunters controls are eccentric, but they also make sense to its design whereas kid icarus just feels crippled to me. I still like the game, really good game, but it should've been on wii or it should've been redesigned when it was moved, that's just my opinion on it.
Putting it on the Wii would have seriously hurt the multiplayer aspect. It seemed to me like Sakurai was trying to ape some of the Monster Hunter social formula by making it a game you could play with anyone on your commute/at lunch/whatever.
Really? That's what I heard a few times (and it sure seems like it was designed around that), apologies if I am mistaken.

I played it a ton the first day or so but it cramped up my wrists and I couldn't be assed to keep busting out the little stand each time so I just returned to Mario Kart :lol
Play sitting down/reclined against a wall with the 3DS resting on your lap. I haven't had any problems with this posture.

cw_sasuke

Also: all these titles surely are building a really strong reputation for 3DS; software houses should insist on this direction so we can see follow-ups opening better.

This, it`ll take some time to rebuild those markets - after all the DS and the PSP was the by far the most popular handheld generation. 3DS was dead after it launch and just at the end of last year it started to fulfill expectations, you cant just jump from a +30 million handheld which is owned by everyone to the 3DS and expect the sales to be the same for ever IP. We are still pretty early in the 3DS life cycle, the system still need time to mature and for 3rd partys to see what works and what doesnt.

There are still many people waiting on the 3DS redesign and Nintendo is hoarding their big casual games. Animal Crossing, Brain Training and Co. were all released before more bigger "classic" title were released, this time is different and we are still waiting on real big casual hits to be released. As i said before, for me KH is an IP with strong casual appeal which would have benefited from being released on a bigger userbase.

Anyone expecting bbs numbers for ddd was crazy and even days numbers would've been a little ambitious, overall i'd say it did solidly with smidgin of dissapointing, hopefully with the 3ds userbase growing rapidly it may have decent legs especially with golden week coming up soon but we will see

fernoca

If anything, what I'll keep an eye out is how Kingdom Hearts games perform from now on.
Could be the platform of choice, could be Square-Enix jumping platforms (PS2, GBA, DS, PSP, 3DS)..or could be that people not saw this as an "important release", or maybe just people "getting tired" of it.

Who knows. Guess the legs (or lack of legs) could give an idea, maybe sales outside Japan; but not sure until at least the next game is released...and on which platform.

This, it`ll take some time to rebuild those markets - after all the DS and the PSP was the by far the most popular handheld generation. 3DS was dead after it launch and just at the end of last year it started to fulfill expectations, you cant just jump from a +30 million handheld which is owned by everyone to the 3DS and expect the sales to be the same for ever IP. We are still pretty early in the 3DS life cycle, the system still need time to mature and for 3rd partys to see what works and what doesnt.

There are still many people waiting on the 3DS redesign and Nintendo is hoarding their big casual games. Animal Crossing, Brain Training and Co. were all released before more bigger "classic" title were released, this time is different and we are still waiting on real big casual hits to be released. As i said before, for me KH is an IP with strong casual appeal which would have benefited from being released on a bigger userbase.

The proof that the userbase is pretty good is the performance MK7, MH3G, SM3DL are showing on a weekly basis. They're pretty different games, and they're holding nicely since last November / December.

I think no one expected MH3G to sell so constantly, and reaching the 1,5 mark. This is a great result and we know that MH userbase might bring nice result in such genres or brand that were more typical on PSP.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
KH3D megabomba! S-E wasted resources finally making an internal game for a Nintendo system. We'll see if it can make up for that with time and international release, but that's a bad start no matter how you try to paint it.

cw_sasuke

The proof that the userbase is pretty good is the performance MK7, MH3G, SM3DL are showing on a weekly basis. They're pretty different games, and they're holding nicely since last November / December.

I think no one expected MH3G to sell so constantly, and reaching the 1,5 mark. This is a great result and we know that MH userbase might bring nice result in such genres or brand that were more typical on PSP.

Actually i expected Tri G sell up to 2 million lifetime. Anything less than 1.5 million would have been a failure in my eyes, especially since there was no new Vita/PSP title announced.

KH3D megabomba! S-E wasted resources finally making an internal game for a Nintendo system. We'll see if it can make up for that with time and international release, but that's a bad start no matter how you try to paint it.

After one week ? Erm okay, on which hardware would you have put 3D when making the decision in 2010 ?
They developed it in less than 2 years and pretty much re-used the engine, its no 50 million hd game they were developing here. Though without legs, sales will be disappointing.

Actually i expected Tri G sell up to 2 million lifetime. Anything less than 1.5 million would have been a failure in my eyes, especially since there was no new Vita/PSP title announced.

Well, it's still selling 20k on a weekly basis, + a Best Price version should be granted.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
After one week ? Erm okay, on which hardware would you have put 3D when making the decision in 2010 ?
They developed it in less than 2 years and pretty much re-used the engine, its no 50 million hd game they were developing here. Though without legs, sales will be disappointing.
Making it PSP in Japan would've been fine, then porting it for international release. Or at least outsourcing it to h.a.n.d. or another studio so it wouldn't take up internal resources.

FoneBone

Do you really think "a Nintendo system" is the issue here?

Top Bottom