• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2016 (Apr 04 - Apr 10)

Yeah about that, I checked (couldn't originally see the ltd on my phone)...

Only about 5% of the XB1 install base "wanted" QB on opening week... Which is imo insane because wouldn't the very point of having an XB1 in Japan to play its exclusives? I guess the game doesn't appeal to the core demo there (maybe more useed to get Shmups and Ninja Gaidens on Xbox?)... #shrug
Well, I was speaking relative to the other exclusives. It is all poor in the grand scheme of things though.

Lime

rip valkyrie profile

me right now:
AnAQ1Mw.gif

Saoshyant

XB1 game in top 20... That's news.

I'd rather say when a top 20 entry can just be 3000 units, the news isn't the Xbox entry itself, but that the market there is just getting bleaker and bleaker to the point of irrelevance. There are probably tiny countries in Eastern Europe selling more videogames than Japan right now, the once giant of the tech industry.

On the other hand, Quantum Break does seem like one of the biggest sellers for the Xbox One in Japan in spite of such a small audience. It's clear that that audience bought the system for its exclusives and the attachment rate seems fairly good.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There are probably tiny countries in Eastern Europe selling more videogames than Japan right now, the once giant of the tech industry.

You have to do some research for the size of European countries and how many copies they sell every week.

L~A

Huh, looks like Famitsu is yet to share their Top 30 for this week... They went from 30mn late for the past few weeks to ???. But today isn't a public holiday or anything, so no idea what's up.

I'd rather say when a top 20 entry can just be 3000 units, the news isn't the Xbox entry itself, but that the market there is just getting bleaker and bleaker to the point of irrelevance. There are probably tiny countries in Eastern Europe selling more videogames than Japan right now, the once giant of the tech industry.

The top 20 alone this week sold 277,000 copies. That's not great, certainly, but I want to know what country in Eastern Europe is doing those sorts of video game sales on a weekly basis.

casiopao

Digital, rest of Asia, West and Martians will save Star Ocean.

Damn savage lol.^~^ sayonara tri-ace. Both mobile and console market give middle finger to tri ace here. I guess, they can be like now platinum and just help making asset or develop games for other here.

Surprised to see QB chart to be honest. Wasn't expecting that.

08./06. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 7.374 / 730.853 (-31%)

Seems an oddly big drop. Hardware seems to be moving towards sub 10k again too, bleh.

I thought the Star Ocean franchise was dead after IV, so at least we got another one out of it. And from what I hear, it's a great (if slightly short) game. Works for me.

This just kills any hope of that Valkyrie Profile proposal ever getting greenlit.

Sterok

Easy million seller Joker 3 isn't reaching that, Star Ocean is dead, Dark Souls isn't having good legs, looks like a bad run for JRPGs. Thank goodness the Yo-kai train shows no signs of stopping.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess NieR Automata will tank even harder in Japan.

rhandino

Banned
06./02. [PS4] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.03.31} (¥7.980) - 10.386 / 123.408 (-91%)
A mess. A kii. A cackle.

I'm greatly surprised at the legs of Pokken, they are not Splatoon levels but I'm surprised nonetheless and I wonder how the game is going to do on Golden Week.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Easy million seller Joker 3 isn't reaching that, Star Ocean is dead, Dark Souls isn't having good legs, looks like a bad run for JRPGs. Thank goodness the Yo-kai train shows no signs of stopping.

Thats becuase they made Joker 3 "worse" than the 2nd game. As it is filled with palette swap enemies that have a lot of the original fans disappointed. Rightfully so and am saying this as one who owns the game and have played all the others.

No idea why they thought that was a good idea...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Legit question: what are some of the games that tanked badly in Media Create?

I don't think SO5 tanked hard, iirc it did 60-80% of the shipment so it seems like it's on target I guess?

The top 20 alone this week sold 277,000 copies. That's not great, certainly, but I want to know what country in Eastern Europe is doing those sorts of video game sales on a weekly basis.

LOL, yeah. In fact that easily outpaces the UK top 20 on your average week, and the UK is the biggest market in Europe (Germany may be close)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Huge drop for SO5, but man... You'd think the Japanese owners of an XB1 would grab QB en masse...
3k copies? Remedy am cry :(

How many Japanese owners of XB1 do you think even exist in Japan, let alone actively buying games?

That 3k represent a pretty sizeable chunk of Xb1 active userbase.

Hexa

Bummer all around.
Hoping someone somewhere makes up for SO5. :(
Hoping that they can keep at least a 20k baseline for PS4 as well.

hiska-kun

A mess. A kii. A cackle.

I'm greatly surprised at the legs of Pokken, they are not Splatoon levels but I'm surprised nonetheless and I wonder how the game is going to do on Golden Week.

Pokken still has 70k on shelves (first shipment was 190k). Price drop still hasn't happened, and probably it will be safe, but I don't think we can be surprised by its legs yet.

notaskwid

Yeah, I'm sure Letonia and their neighbours Are buying hundreds of thousands of videogames every week.

L~A

Star Ocean IV had bad word of mouth.
Nier had good word of mouth.

True, but last Nier game was 6 years ago. But I agree that compared to SO5, it has a much better outlook.

Pokken still has 70k on shelves (first shipment was 190k). Price drops still hasn't happened, and probably it will be safe, but I don't think we can be surprised by its legs yet.

Looks like they're gonna wait until post GW week to drop price, so if it hasn't sold its shipment until then, retailers will definitely "help" it do that a bit.

Famitsu finally out: http://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

omonimo

Banned
23k ps4 :/ The cruel reality of the state of the home console in Japan strikes again. I don't expect to see ps4 below 25k after this long positive trend That's not a good signal for the next weeks...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I don't think SO5 tanked hard, iirc it did 60-80% of the shipment so it seems like it's on target I guess?

The shipment is determined by retailers, not publisher expectations.

hiska-kun

SO5 had a 70% sell-through according to Dengeki = 158000 units shipped. If the game sold 10k during its second week making 123k in total, how many units do you think it will move on its third week? Still 35k to go.
There's no way it sells the first shipment without price drops, actually they are already happening anyway.

Saoshyant

Yeah, sorry, the hyperbole got the better of me, but I'm always surprised how every week seem bleaker and bleaker. Without Dragon Quest and Yo-kai on the top 2, we would be seeing about 100k sales across the entirety of the top 20. The third entry here sold a miserable 25k copies; that's the sort of thing that would have been at the bottom of the chart two/three years ago.

I have a question about that: if that's how it works, do publishers get informed of the numbers they will have to print or do they print a number of copies beforehand which would mean that whatever the retailers didn't take would sit rotting on a warehouse? I imagine it's the former, but wouldn't that slow down the whole process with publishers having to get in touch with all big retailers to have an idea how many copies should be printed?

ULTROS!

I hope SE didn't have high sales expectations for this, like we've seen how it looks budgeted and all.

Guess SE should go for budgeted releases if they want to continue releasing JRPGs, ugh but better last gen when they didn't really release new stuff.

Lime

I hope SE didn't have high sales expectations for this, like we've seen how it looks budgeted and all.

Guess SE should go for budgeted releases if they want to continue releasing JRPGs, ugh but better last gen when they didn't really release new stuff.

I wonder what their expectations are for the West.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In general, Matsuda's strategy appeared to be to give all their mid-tier franchises another go with the caveat that the producers on most of them have said they have to hit unspecified sales expectations to keep going.

It will be interesting to see what those actually are, presumably as revealed by the future of what each team does.

The one that we seemed to get an immediate status update on was Bravely Second, where the producer said he wanted to immediately propose a third game if it sold well enough, and then in an interview a few weeks later, said they were debating between more Bravely Default or what sounded like a New IP (I've consulted with Aeana on the context of this and she determined New IP was more plausible than "BD game with new setting/characters.").

That game actually did better than Star Ocean I think, and I have to imagine it cost less.

Yeah, sorry, the hyperbole got the better of me, but I'm always surprised how every week seem bleaker and bleaker. Without Dragon Quest and Yo-kai on the top 2, we would be seeing about 100k sales across the entirety of the top 20. The third entry here sold a miserable 25k copies; that's the sort of thing that would have been at the bottom of the chart two/three years ago.

"Without the two best selling games, things wouldn't look as good" is something you could apply to any region/market. Those games still exist.

Sure, we can look at everything below the top selling games and draw some conclusions, but beware of trying to draw a conclusion looking at one week. You're trapped in the fog of war.

Would 25k not have gotten third place two years ago? That's true. It was actually good enough for second place in this week in 2014. Three years ago the third place game this week was at 26k, so basically the same. I had to go all the way back to 2008 to find a time in which 25k would be well lower on the charts in week 14, landing in 9th place then.

We're not in the holidays right now, there were no major releases this week, and Yokai Watch was the only major release from last week expected to have any legs. I don't think you should be drawing massive conclusions about the market from a sample size of this week.

Aces&Eights

I wonder how many of the DS3 sales were people like me importing the game? Probably not a lot but I'd be curious to know the %. Doubt it would be listed, though.

ULTROS!

In general, Matsuda's strategy appeared to be to give all their mid-tier franchises another go with the caveat that the producers on most of them have said they have to hit unspecified sales expectations to keep going.

It will be interesting to see what those actually are, presumably as revealed by the future of what each team does.

The one that we seemed to get an immediate status update on was Bravely Second, where the producer said he wanted to immediately propose a third game if it sold well enough, and then in an interview a few weeks later, said they were debating between more Bravely Default or what sounded like a New IP (I've consulted with Aeana on the context of this and she determined New IP was more plausible than "BD game with new setting/characters.").

That game actually did better than Star Ocean I think, and I have to imagine it cost less.

Did I Am Setsuna do well relative to its budget? It had almost non-existent marketing compared to SO though.

I'm guessing they're also giving Valkyrie Profile a shot too from the looks of it.

Why is Dark Souls 3 so soft in the homeland...

Is it because Japan just outright rejects the PS4?

Maybe they have a larger digital and PC audience?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did I Am Setsuna do well relative to its budget? It had almost non-existent marketing compared to SO though.

Setsuna is a bit harder to judge because it's basically a digital game a la Child of Light or Undertale that happened to be sold at retail in Japan due to the nature of the domestic market.

I'm guessing they're also giving Valkyrie Profile a shot too from the looks of it.
I doubt Star Ocean the IP is dead so much as it's going to be harder to greenlight a traditional PS4 game.

Star Ocean 3 moved 710,000 copies in Japan, so they might try to find where that audience went by similarly releasing a mobile product.

Top Bottom