• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2013 (Apr 29 - May 05)

Guess we'll wait and see if Sony fails to keep it afloat this year, and like I said, it's not necessarily the case that they wouldn't be aiming to just based on this years forecast.

Consumer perception would change after various other things also.

Indeed, consumers' perception will worsen dramatically once it will be clear that Sony won't have big plans for this year, and will entirely focus on PS4 and the last years of PS3. Then, Sony would also have to re-gain retailers trust (I mean, 33k units in March in the US is something terrible); and third parties trust must be gain, because it doesn't seem there has ever been.

wishful thinking based on completely unrealistic assumptions, and a distorted view of the world...

Leaving the product in the market for one year without much support, and expecting it will comeback later on is pure fantasy. Consumers' perception is being damaged, and it will not change immediately ...
... and in general it's not viewed as an attractive product (sales speak for themselves, 33k units in the US in March are PSP-numbers during the end of its lifecycle)...
... A product selling so badly in all countries is losing also confidence in retailers, not only consumers. Both must be convinced that the product is valid, and it's a slow process. In the meanwhile, there will be two new platforms, new products taking space on shelves ...

In the meanwhile, third parties are completely focusing elsewhere.
Interesting...

redcrayon

can someone make a thread like make your prediction on what they think will be the fate of the vita? this way we can look back someday when the vita is discontinued and see who was wrong. i have no problem making my prediction and admitting when i am wrong and eat crow. it is just tiring to see week in week out people saying the same things over and over. i guess the same thing can be done for the wii u because those are the two that are dominating these threads nowadays.
Vita has little in the pipeline but is still plugging away, just, so it's continued sales are of interest.
WiiU has what is rumoured to be a very strong winter coming up that is its only realistic chance of survival, so it's continued sales are of interest.
Both are in trouble, and speculation on their future is interesting.

Of the other systems, Ps3 and 3DS are established systems with fairly stable sales and constant software/shares of the charts, and their successes are usually the first thing mentioned in the threads. Once the first page is full of 'xxx sold well' there's not a lot else to say, whereas Wii and PSP are obviously out of the limelight now their successor systems are available.

The fact that the first two are the main points of discussion and get the lions share of the doom based on their current circumstances shouldn't be a surprise, and if you find it tiring to read, then what do you want people to do? Start discussing the stuff that isn't actually rolling news?

If anyone would like a discussion point for vita, although it may not be relevant here, then I wonder if the fact it's pretty good tech and not losing shedloads (after the memory cards are taken into account) means that it can survive for long after the 3DS shows its age, and, a bit like the GameCube, at least does a good job of not surrendering the market entirely, leaving the groundwork in place for Sony to try again a few years down the line. Sure, it's software sales aren't comparable to GC, but the point is it keeps Sony in the game with experience in the portable market, much as the WiiU might do for Nintendo's next bite of the cherry. Eventually that portable market might be a battle worth putting their primary focus on, and lessons learned now might pay dividends years down the line. What do you think?

Nintendo lucked out with their portables from the start, but Sony have been their only long-running competitor in what is obviously a fairly lucrative space in Japan, and it's a market worth chasing long-term if they can do so without it losing them money.

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=45288486&postcount=510

The conditions for you to start cheering and calling for WiiU's discontinuation must be getting close?

What are we considering a significant title and how long do we give for it to come out?

If we were underestimating how much of a disaster Vita was are we also underestimating how much of a disaster WiiU is?

The big difference between the wii U and the vita and why thoses same conditions aren't met is because nintendo will be supporting the wii U. Sony's 1st party isn't nearly as strong and more importantly they barely even bother to support their handheld devices (even when it's as successful as the PSP).

That's not to say the wii U won't be a failure (only have to look at the GC). Nintendo will be supporting the wii U with much bigger games than anything the vita has seen or is ever likely to see. Will that actually make any difference? I've got no idea but it's not the same situation as the vita.

Just on this discussion though i don't think Sony will discontinue the vita. I think it will be play second fiddle to the PS4 but they won't just discontinue it within the year.

Edit: Have you had that post bookmarked for almost a year just to try and call him out for it?

Skyzard

Banned
Vita has little in the pipeline but is still plugging away, just, so it's continued sales are of interest.
WiiU has what is rumoured to be a very strong winter coming up that is its only realistic chance of survival, so it's continued sales are of interest.
Both are in trouble, and speculation on their future is interesting.

Of the other systems, Ps3 and 3DS are established systems with fairly stable sales and constant software/shares of the charts, and their successes are usually the first thing mentioned in the threads. Once the first page is full of 'xxx sold well' there's not a lot else to say, whereas Wii and PSP are obviously out of the limelight now their successor systems are available.

The fact that the first two are the main points of discussion and get the lions share of the doom based on their current circumstances shouldn't be a surprise, and if you find it tiring to read, then what do you want people to do? Start discussing the stuff that isn't actually rolling news?

If anyone would like a discussion point for vita, although it may not be relevant here, then I wonder if the fact it's pretty good tech and not losing shedloads (after the memory cards are taken into account) means that it can survive for long after the 3DS shows its age, and, a bit like the GameCube, at least does a good job of not surrendering the market entirely, leaving the groundwork in place for Sony to try again a few years down the line. Sure, it's software sales aren't comparable to GC, but the point is it keeps Sony in the game with experience in the portable market, much as the WiiU might do for Nintendo's next bite of the cherry. Eventually that portable market might be a battle worth putting their primary focus on, and lessons learned now might pay dividends years down the line. What do you think?

I agree with that potential.

And with this:
Nintendo lucked out with their portables from the start, but Sony have been their only long-running competitor, and it's a market worth chasing long-term if they can do so without it losing them money.

Especially if the market has significantly been influenced by iOS, would be good to have Vita as PS4's backup.

redcrayon

GC was in the market just for 4 years, though; it was selling better, and it had wa bigger games. Comparison is not exactly correct, also because Sony could cut Vita easily and focusing on other products than Nintendo with an home console.
But in the same vein, Sony can also afford to run Vita at its current depressing state for six years, experimenting with its features to research their next device whereas Nintendo couldn't. Works both ways, doesn't it?

I'm not an evangelist for either company, I just think surrendering even a tiny share of the portable market when it's where their home territory is going would be an unwise move.

But in the same vein, Sony can also afford to run Vita at its current depressing state for six years, experimenting with its features to research their next device whereas Nintendo couldn't. Works both ways, doesn't it?

I'm not an evangelist for either company, I just think surrendering even a tiny share of the portable market when it's where their home territory is going would be an unwise move.

It depends whether it's a profitable product or not.

redcrayon

It depends whether it's a profitable product or not.

Well, I think perhaps a small loss in order to stay as a potential major player in the future of portable consoles, whatever it happens to evolve into, is fine, but sure, if its leaking absolutely shitloads of cash, then alright, I agree.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
when it was Sony itself to state that doesn't care about Vita anymore, through the financial report they shared yesterday.

What did they say exactly?

I do agree with you on most points, though sadly, what you are saying, seems to apply to both, Wii U and Vita. Too bad, because I like both (and the probability is high that I like each more than PS4 or Xbox 3).

Afrit

.... People won't buy a platform for indie titles; people that bought the platform weren't expecting indie titles......

I completely agree with your two sentences here; They're quite logical.

But the fact that Guacamelee! downloads on vita outsold the PS3 version by "a significant margin" (just like retro city rampage before it). It could tell us about the perception of indie games on a dedicated handheld compared to a console, keeping in mind the large install base difference of course. Also, it could means that a relatively significant portion of Vita owners -although weren't expecting indies when they bought the system- they do like the idea.
It may never push the vita sales itself by any significant margin but it's good to see if indie devs will ever find the Vita as the indie handheld of choice.

What did they say exactly?

I do agree with you on most points, though sadly, what you are saying, seems to apply to both, Wii U and Vita. Too bad, because I like both (and the probability is high that I like each more than PS4 or Xbox 3).

They forecasted 5 million PSP+Vita for the entire fiscal year. That means 3-3.5 million Vita. It's quite clear Sony is not going to support the platform in any relevant way. Those numbers are abysmally low; they are ok if the platform is in its 7 year in the market (PSP last fiscal year).

I completely agree with your two sentences here; They're quite logical.

But the fact that Guacamelee! downloads on vita outsold the PS3 version by "a significant margin" (just like retro city rampage before it). It could tell us about the perception of indie games on a dedicated handheld compared to a console, keeping in mind the large install base difference of course. Also, it could means that a relatively significant portion of Vita owners -although weren't expecting indies when they bought the system- they do like the idea.
It may never push the vita sales itself by any significant margin but it's good to see if indie devs will ever find the Vita as the indie handheld of choice.

My point still stands. Indie games are not going to push hardware sales (otherwise they wouldn't have been indie!). And I don't know to what extent people owning a Vita were expecting to play mainly indie games; the fact that software is lacking, might well push sales for indie titles, that's true. But will Vita be the indie handheld of choice? We have a lot of successful stories on 3DS as well: Gunman Clive, Colors 3D, Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, The Denpa Man, Touch Battle Tank 3D; and many other indie titles are arriving (Shovel Knights, Gero Blaster, Jett Rocket 2, Mighty Switch Force 2, Shantae, Mutand Mudds 2, Cult County, Yatagarasu).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, I like the Vita.

But I don't have any delusions about its chances of survival though :\

Well, it can "survive" maybe, if "survive" here means only "not dead." :\

Ah well.....

SmokyDave

My point still stands. Indie games are not going to push hardware sales (otherwise they wouldn't have been indie!). And I don't know to what extent people owning a Vita were expecting to play mainly indie games; the fact that software is lacking, might well push sales for indie titles, that's true. But will Vita be the indie handheld of choice? We have a lot of successful stories on 3DS as well: Gunman Clive, Colors 3D, Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, The Denpa Man, Touch Battle Tank 3D; and many other indie titles are arriving (Shovel Knights, Gero Blaster, Jett Rocket 2, Mighty Switch Force 2, Shantae, Mutand Mudds 2, Cult County, Yatagarasu).

Yes, yes it will.

serplux

Although the 3DS is certainly not hurting for indie games, the Vita is generally getting more high-profile ones.

The multiplatform 3DS/Vita indie releases generally sell more on the 3DS though.

Afrit

yeah, the success story of Gunman Clive is interesting as well. The 3DS seems to have an advantage of being a stand alone platform to develop for compared to the Vita. I mean, for Vita, indie games ,and most games apparently, has to be cross-developed with PS3 in order to gain any significant exposure on the media. If Guacamelee was released as a vita exclusive, I don't think it will chart like it did on Vita store. (Although, Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs, developed by DrinkBox also, did quite well on its own)
But, it remains to be seen how things will go forward between them.

SmokyDave

escapeVektor. Colors! 3D.

There aren't a ton of multiplatform handheld indie releases, mind you.

Edit: If someone has a list of Vita indie games, that would help.
Where did you get sales numbers for the Vita stuff?

I can't find a straightforward list of Vita indies :(

DrFurbs

Does any one in this thread see parallels between the launch of the PSP and Vita? I mean ask I read is about the Vita is "Sony have have up" .."its dead"...I remember when there was no games on the PSP way back for months and months and look how well it did.

Perhaps that is why Sony is taking the viewpoint/stance it is regarding its development...perhaps they know in years to come it will sell as many as the PSP.

Does any one in this thread see parallels between the launch of the PSP and Vita? I mean ask I read is about the Vita is "Sony have have up" .."its dead"...I remember when there was no games on the PSP way back for months and months and look how well it did.

Perhaps that is why Sony is taking the viewpoint/stance it is regarding its development...perhaps they know in years to come it will sell as many as the PSP.

About as many parallels as there is between Wii U and the PS2.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
escapeVektor. Colors! 3D.

There aren't a ton of multiplatform handheld indie releases, mind you.

Edit: If someone has a list of Vita indie games, that would help.

Colors 3D is on Vita ?

serplux

Where did you get sales numbers for the Vita stuff?

I can't find a straightforward list of Vita indies :(

I didn't. I just went straight up to the developers and asked what was their best selling platform.

Also where the hell is Urban Trial Freestyle 3DS?

Edit: Blogpost from the Colors! developers: http://www.collectingsmiles.com/new...ces-are-better-for-games-than-smart-phones-2/

Edit 2: Comment from the escapeVektor devs: PM me.

Colors 3D is on Vita ?

It's not in 3D, but yes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's interesting to see you yet to call out skyzard, but have no qualm to call out Nintendo fans when they do even remotely the same thing.

It's not really the same, Wii u is bad and will probably won't do significantly well, but Nintendo, as significant first party titles, they can poorly support the system by themselves, Sony simply can't and was never in a position to do so.

3Dland and Mario kart with a price cut single-handily save the 3DS in the west, different circumstances but the implication is clear. Nintendo does have the software to move hardware at the right price by itself. It's just not enough to save the system but is probably enough to limp along until next gen.

Thorgal

People actually think Sony is launching another dedicated handheld?

releasing a handheld as we know handhelds now ? no.

But i could imagine Sony releasing a handheld device that is fully built with the Gaikai streaming capabilities from a console or server farm in mind or even its the main focus .
(while still allowing physical media for those country's with shitty internet) .

Don't qoute me on this but i think VITA is/was to be a testing ground to see how well the tech would work with their systems.

pure speculation from my part though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
releasing a handheld as we know handhelds now ? no.

But i could imagine Sony releasing a handheld device that is fully built with the Gaikai streaming capabilities from a console or server farm in mind or even its the main focus .
(while still allowing physical media for those country's with shitty internet) .

Don't qoute me on this but i think VITA is/was to be a testing ground to see how well the tech would work with their systems.

pure speculation from my part though.

Wait how would that work, it'd be like the Vita 2, they would have learnt consumers don't want console experiences on the go by releasing a device aimed again at provided console experiences on the go. Also the 3G vita bombed. Sounds like a terrible idea.

Nekki

Nintendo lucked out with their portables from the start, but Sony have been their only long-running competitor in what is obviously a fairly lucrative space in Japan, and it's a market worth chasing long-term if they can do so without it losing them money.

I agree with that potential.

And with this:

Especially if the market has significantly been influenced by iOS, would be good to have Vita as PS4's backup.

Now i know you're delusional.

extralite

So I remember correctly (I didn't put "almost" at the beginning). I wonder how Sony could fuck up such a big IP.

I think it's pretty obvious. Arc the Lad was popular when there weren't many other RPGs on PS. It is also a 2D franchise that was really pretty looking at a time before FFVII wowed people with 3D.

It filled a gap. When the gap disappeared, Arc the Lad collapsed. PS thrived thanks to Namco and Capcom. But they didn't put out RPGs for the PS at the time. The big RPGs were still on SNES. So Sony landed a hit by serving a genre well which hardly anyone else did on PS.

Gran Turismo, which you didn't mention as a million seller although it is much bigger than Arc, just declined together with PS hardware. Like most Japanese Sony IPs.

Frillen

It's not a guarantee but neither are any portable games made for mature gamers on pricier platforms. It makes a lot of sense to do it though.

Killzone won't be a revival...it should keep it alive though.

2014-2015 is year of the Vita, unless Sony lost faith in themselves, which we don't yet clearly know either way.

Just one of many things you just pull out of your ass. Wishful thinking, dreams etc. Just stop with it.

Let's say you're a father and your child is a student. They take a class and say "I'm definitely going to get 100% on this!"

But they come back with 40%, a failing grade. They apologize, and instead promise that they'll be able to get a 90%.

But they come back with 40%, a failing grade. They apologize, and instead promise that they'll be able to get a 80%.

At what point do you imagine that your child, without more help, will be able to pass the course? Do you believe they have a strategy to improve their grades?

The kid is quite possibly dunce.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

What parallel? The psp came off the success of the ps2, launched in a period before smartphone/tablet gaming, and had major 3rd party supports.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./10. [PS3] Bioshock Infinite <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.04.25} (¥7.700)
22./46. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
23./25. [3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! <TBL> (FuRyu) {2013.04.11} (¥5.229)
24./45. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
25./32. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥6.280)
26./08. [PSP] Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Portable # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.04.25} (¥6.279)
27./12. [PS3] Mugen Souls Z # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2013.04.25} (¥7.329)
28./39. [WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935)
29./35. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.14} (¥6.980)
30./37. [PSV] Muramasa Rebirth <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.03.28} (¥4.980)
31./36. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980)
32./43. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
33./40. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500)
34./38. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980)
35./41. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090)
36./00. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800)
37./00. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
38./42. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥7.140)
39./00. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
40./00. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
41./00. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935)
42./00. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
43./00. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
44./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan <ADV> (FuRyu) {2013.03.07} (¥5.229)
45./00. [3DS] Pretty Rhythm: My Deco Rainbow Wedding <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2013.03.20} (¥6.279)
46./47. [PS3] Far Cry 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2013.03.07} (¥7.770)
47./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980)
48./15. [PSV] Meikyuu Cross Blood: Infinity <RPG> (CyberFront) {2013.04.25} (¥6.090)
49./00. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
50./00. [3DS] Fantasy Life <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PS3 - 11
PSV - 5
WII - 5
PSP - 4
WIU - 4
NDS - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    827.000 |    894.000 |    836.000 | 16.878.000 | 16.549.000 |

saichi

TGS announcements and then next year's E3 would be ideal of course for bigger announcements. PS4 would have been out by then I think, why not start the change strong, both the vita needs it and so will the PS4.

we were told to wait for last year's E3, TGS, then Christmas to see VITA's big announcement/release and now we need to wait for next year's E3 for it now? wtf

^ But they are trying not to let it die with the pricedrop, SS, Tearaway, Killzone and all the indies. Killzone being more important than usual as it will likely be the best handheld fps ever.

Killzone would be lucky to be better than Dementium.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
we were told to wait for last year's E3, TGS, then Christmas to see VITA's big announcement/release and now we need to wait for next year's E3 for it now? wtf

Killzone would be lucky to be better than Dementium.

Look at Sony's new Vita sales forecast and you will understand why it got shifted beyond E3/TGS/Gamescom/Christmas this year.

As for all the speculation about GT6 Vita, doubt it's happening. I don't think it'd be much of a system-seller in the post iOS/Android handheld market (though it'd at least do better than a Vita GoW), but Sony would probably assume otherwise, and, well... see the forecast.

Top Bottom