• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2011 (May 16 - May 22)

duckroll said:
Wut? What are you talking about? Here's what DoA usually sells in Japan (Famitsu numbers):

Fighting games:
DoA2 (PS2) - 158k
DoA3 (Xbox) - 84k
DoA:U (Xbox) - 52k
DoA4 (360) - 62k

Non-fighting games:
DoAXBV (Xbox) - 88k
DoAXBV2 (360) - 45k
DoA Paradise (PSP) - 31k

This is the worst result for a DoA game ever, and far worse than it has done on doomed platforms like Xbox and 360. Even a shitty (slutty?) non-fighting game fanservice garbage release on the PSP which was panned by everyone, had a better opening. :p

It's bad, but DOA never did that great in the first place. Can you really expect DOA on the 3DS to do much better being pretty much just a rehash? Never has been a huge franchise and it hasn't been on an upward trend these past years.

Leona Lewis said:
But 3DS is a whole new audience for the series, plus the game is a rehash for 3DS owners who are familiar with the series. No DOA has ever been released on Nintendo hardware until now. It would be like if Halo came out for NDS as was rumored and everyone compared its sales to Halo 3, a new game on a system with an established Halo fanbase.

The sales are indeed dreadful, but you can't just look at past games in the series. DOA3 came on a new system, but it was also a new game with (arguably) the best graphics of any game at the time. DOA:D is a retread.
By this rationale, why would anyone release an established ip on the 3DS?

Busaiku

I don't anyone saw Nintendo doing so horribly in general even one year ago.
This is insane.
I think the future releases will give it some boost, but until Mario Kart, their platforms are pretty much dead.
BattleMonkey said:
It's bad, but DOA never did that great in the first place. Can you really expect DOA on the 3DS to do much better being pretty much just a rehash? Never has been a huge franchise and it hasn't been on an upward trend these past years.
I think most people at least expected it to better than a system with less than 1 million userbase or some random volleyball spinoffs.
It was the worst debut for the series ever, and it's not even close.

wrowa said:
Oh. Wow. DoAD sales are absymal. That's way worse than I would have expected for the first week.

Something that confuses me:

Take a look here: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201105/25044073.html

Almost every single store reports Great Sales/sell-outs for DOA, my only guess for explaining this situation is that the game just failed horribly at the big electronic chains (where families shop) that aren't including in the polling

m.i.s.

Banned
You know, I don't know which is worse: trying to "revive" the Wii or launching a new platform entirely in crisis struck Japan.

That's some choice.

At least, there's still DQX to look forward to.

Lesiroth

Sammy Samusu said:
LOL! Were you expecting Dead or Alive to sell 100k or something?

All things considered, I think it's doing great! Let's see where it goes from here.
So we can safely say "wait for X" is being revived for the 3DS? I'm not sure how failing to surpass the Xbox DOA launches is anything good, and this is on the successor to the DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
No way will it do anywhere near 100K debut, but One piece is a whole different target zone then DOA, so give it the old wait and see, I will admit that is an utterly horrendous start for DOA
I see One Piece having an opening closer to 100k that 50k.

d+pad

M.I.S. said:
You know, I don't know which is worse: trying to "revive" the Wii or launching a new platform entirely in crisis struck Japan.

That's some choice.

At least, there's still DQX to look forward to.

I really think the Wii is well beyond reviving at this point. A price cut and a few, specific games -- possibly Rhythm Tengoku Wii and the DQ compilation, definitely DQX -- could/will give it a short-lived boost, but other than that the system is dead in Japan. Which is mostly Nintendo's fault, IMO. Sure, third parties dropped the ball, but so did Nintendo for long periods of time. I guess this is just how it is for modern (i.e., post-Super Famicom) Nintendo consoles, though...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jokeropia said:
It's not a bubble if it lasted 4.5 years, unless virtually all systems are bubbles.

I think there was a 3rd party software bubble that burst. The support virtually ended after holiday 2009. It went from poor to non existent in a matter of a month.

Jokeropia said:
It's not a bubble if it lasted 4.5 years, unless virtually all systems are bubbles.
The point is more, the time the Wii went from on top, to left for dead on the sidewalk is pretty amazing, not the length it was released for as a whole.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
BlazingDarkness said:
The point is more, the time the Wii went from on top, to left for dead on the sidewalk is pretty amazing, not the length it was released for as a whole.
It's not really a surprise. You could see this coming from 2007/2008 with the lack of support for the system. I'm just surprised it took as long as it did for sales to drop

Really awesome Akiba's Trip numbers, Acquire must be delighted. Going by MC, Acquire highest 1st ever (self-published titles) was Class of Heroes 2 PSP at 39k.

And Gungnir on the upper range for Sting's Dept. Heaven series, not bad at all (Famitsu numbers because they are way more complete here):
[GBA] Riviera: The Promised Land (Sting) {2004.11.25} - 9.540 / 16.467
[GBA] Yggdra Union (Sting) {2006.03.23} - 17.728 / 36.172
[PSP] Riviera: The Promised Land (Sting) {2006.11.22} - 10.047 / 10.047
[PSP] Yggdra Union (Sting) {2008.01.24} - 21.989 / 45.928
[NDS] Knights in the Nightmare (Sting) {2008.09.25} - 9.301 / 23.015
[NDS] Knights in the Nightmare (Dept. Heaven Episodes Series Special Pack) (Sting) {2008.09.25} - 4.200 / 4.200
[PSP] Knights in the Nightmare (Sting) {2010.04.22} - 5.353 / 5.353

Near their best start (Yggdra Union) for a brand new title.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week's releases {2011.06.02}

[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom)
[3DS] DualPenSports (Bandai Namco)
[3DS] Sudoku: The Puzzle Game Collection (Hudson)

[WII] Sengoku Basara 3 [Best Price!] (Capcom)

[PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Capcom)
[PS3] Tekken 6 [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Bandai Namco)

[360] Phantom Breaker (5pb.)
[360] Dance Central (Microsoft Game Studios)
[360] Tekken 6 [Platinum Collection] (Bandai Namco)

If the 3DS continues to lose ~1k sales per week is it conceivable it could go under 10k in like 2 months? Or are the game releases like RE next week good enough to keep it afloat?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Heavy said:
If the 3DS continues to lose ~1k sales per week is it conceivable it could go under 10k in like 2 months? Or are the game releases like RE next week good enough to keep it afloat?
I suspect it will go up slightly with RE and Zelda will bump it up slightly, and then it will continue downward again until something larger is released.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Heavy said:
Zelda will be released by then - as the eShop which could/should keep it on that level. It cant get much worse for the 3DS.

@Nirolak
TotA will probably be able to +100K too.

Heavy said:

The DS went down slightly but so did every other system. It'll bounce back. If every system followed this week's trend, PS3 will be selling ~1k in 10 weeks and the PSP will be in the negative.

Nirolak said:
I suspect it will go up slightly with RE and Zelda will bump it up slightly, and then it will continue downward again until something larger is released.

Zelda? Really? I've heard the argument before, but I still can't see people buying a $250 device to play a game they've played already (many times no doubt) but in 3D. If it was a new Zelda then, of course, I would expect big sales and a nice 3DS bump. However, I doubt very much there will be many people interested in Zelda OoT 3D who don't already have a 3DS.

I think Zelda will stop the downward trend for a week, maybe two. It needs a Mario game to get it moving, and a 3DS Lite version. The unit is too chunky...

Xavien

Wii and 3DS are not that great, but its not like any of the others are better either though, seems to be only PSP bucking the trend.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
zomgbbqftw said:
Zelda? Really? I've heard the argument before, but I still can't see people buying a $250 device to play a game they've played already (many times no doubt) but in 3D. If it was a new Zelda then, of course, I would expect big sales and a nice 3DS bump. However, I doubt very much there will be many people interested in Zelda OoT 3D who don't already have a 3DS.

I think Zelda will stop the downward trend for a week, maybe two. It needs a Mario game to get it moving, and a 3DS Lite version. The unit is too chunky...
By slight bump I mean maybe 5-10K.

Jokeropia

BlazingDarkness said:
There's been a slow descent since 2008, actually.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
zomgbbqftw said:

There are many people who haven't played Ocarina of Time before.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Were you the same guy who thought Zelda had the same selling power as God of War in Japan?

I don't think I was...

I think OoT will sell just okay, but Zelda as a franchise is massive.

Takao

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
But 3DS is a whole new audience for the series, plus the game is a rehash for 3DS owners who are familiar with the series. No DOA has ever been released on Nintendo hardware until now. It would be like if Halo came out for NDS as was rumored and everyone compared its sales to Halo 3, a new game on a system with an established Halo fanbase.

The sales are indeed dreadful, but you can't just look at past games in the series. DOA3 came on a new system, but it was also a new game with (arguably) the best graphics of any game at the time. DOA:D is a retread.

So you're saying Megaman Legends 3, and MGS3D are fucked? Well, Capcom might as well cancel MML3, since it already had the tough position of being a sequel to a game released nearly a decade ago, as well as being the least popular series, and Nintendo fans only got the first game anyways.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
If the lines at Nintendo World are any indication (and they might not be!), it'll be significantly larger than that.
I expect it to help a lot more in the U.S. than Japan.

Zelda is on the decline in the region, but I could definitely be too pessimistic here.

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
There's been a slow descent since 2008, actually.

Yeah. Also "left for dead on the sidewalk" isn't here, yet, unless PSP and PS3 were once "left for dead on the sidewalk," too. Not saying Wii will see a PSP-like resurgance, at all, but the eventual price cut and DQX will make it bob its head above the water a bit.

i.e. It's a "dead" system that can still sell million+ selling games.

Weird "dead" system, but that's the norm this generation. Maybe next-generation will be back to "normal" with the top system getting top support. *shrugs*

Chris1964 said:
This is the interesting week with One Piece.

Yeah, I'll go get charts if you want me to. but One Piece is at the height of popularity right now, the game is getting pretty good ratings, if that 3rd party game can't sell well now Nintendo is in much more trouble with 3rd parties then we have thought.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Yeah, I'll go get charts if you want me to. but One Piece is at the height of popularity right now, the game is getting pretty good ratings, if that 3rd party game can't sell well now Nintendo is in much more trouble with 3rd parties then we have though.
Re-releases for Wii have done very well, the DS one the same and so will the 3DS.

It's a port but with Zelda they will outsell many, many new games.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Has anyone tried to find from where exactly gehaneta is quoting this? It's supposed to be from 23 May press release but I can't match it.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/gehaneta/archives/3759261.html

「来期(2012年3月期)のゲーム事業は、PS2が収束に向かい、PSPは後継機が登場するタイミングで、(PS3は)次世代機の開発費がかかるため、収益は落ちる

http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/20110523.html

If it is true it says between others that this FY will include development costs for next generation hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
Has anyone tried to find from where exactly gehaneta is quoting this? It's supposed to be from 23 May press release but I can't match it.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/gehaneta/archives/3759261.html

「来期(2012年3月期)のゲーム事業は、PS2が収束に向かい、PSPは後継機が登場するタイミングで、(PS3は)次世代機の開発費がかかるため、収益は落ちる

http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/20110523.html

If it is true it says between others that this FY will include development costs for next generation hardware.
Development costs as in manufacturing the NGP or R&D on the PS4?

[Nintex]

Iwata should do another round of those Iwata Asks with the third party devs.. the 'After Bomba Edition'

At the PS4 thing, wouldn't surprise me. All these analysts and industry insiders think that this industry will grind to a halt that's not what Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony like. They're just going to 'brute force', 'bail-out', 'stimulus package', 'IMF loan' it back into action one way or another.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
[Nintex] said:
Iwata should do another round of those Iwata Asks with the third party devs.. the 'After Bomba Edition'
He should do one with Miyamoto about Steel Diver too.

[Nintex] said:

At the PS4 thing, wouldn't surprise me. All these analysts and industry insiders think that this industry will grind to a halt that's not what Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony like. They're just going to 'brute force', 'bail-out', 'stimulus package', 'IMF loan' it back into action one way or another.

Yeah, but then who pays for Greece and Portugal?!?

Top Bottom