• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2013 (May 20 - May 26)

SMTIV was always going to have a massive drop as do most RPGs, but I'm surprised there is no extra shipment planned until the 13th of June.

Bruno MB

Shin Megami Tensei IV has enough stock (46.000 units) for at least 2 more weeks.

Let's say it follows a normal pattern for a front-loaded title like this:

1st week - 188.562 / NEW (235.000 units shipped)
2nd week - 28.284 / 216.846 (-85%)
3rd week - 11.313 / 228.159 (-60%)
4th week (new shipment arrives) -

As evidenced by recent NPD sales and Pal charts, Wii hardware and software is actually selling better than the Wii U despite the former not receiving any notable support of any kind. So on a global basis overall, I think that Blue Ocean market is still there. Diminished but still there. It's just that Nintendo stopped supporting the Wii market to switch over to 3DS / Wii U.

I think it's because good first party software with a good reputation was released on Wii and has continued to draw in late adopters

Games like Zombi U would've sold much better if the system had more first party releases and a better effort from Nintendo. It's not that some of the more notable 3rd party games on Wii U had been released were all poor or to an non-existent audience, it's just that the majority of people buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games. There's really no double standard here. Nintendo needs 1st party games to get 3rd party games/support. Not the other way around.....

test_account

XP-39C²
Probably will stay on the top until Pokemon is up for Pre-order.
Yep, i think that is a guarantee, unless there is something other semi-big title that comes up for pre-order in the meantime.

Speaking of Amazon rankings, i'm surprised that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has been 106 days in the Top 100. I didnt think that a fighting game was this popular. Not that the Amazon Top 10 gives much indication how big numbers we're talking about though, but still.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This discussion is primarily happening in the other thread, but I feel I should drop it here too for those who mostly follow sales info through these threads.

PES 2014 has been announced for 360/PS3/PC/PSP.

Their angry community manager has already explicitly confirmed it's not on 3DS (as "no one bought it") and PS4/Xbox One (because apparently doing those versions is lazy), so it's presumably safe to assume it's not on the other unaddressed platforms of Wii U and Vita as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This discussion is primarily happening in the other thread, but I feel I should drop it here too for those who mostly follow sales info through these threads.

PES 2014 has been announced for 360/PS3/PC/PSP.

Their angry community manager has already explicitly confirmed it's not on 3DS (as "no one bought it") and PS4/Xbox One (because apparently doing those versions is lazy), so it's presumably safe to assume it's not on the other unaddressed platforms of Wii U and Vita as well.

Since we're here discussing PES not being on several platforms, this is what last two entries sold on 3DS in Japan

PES 2012 (launched on December 8th, 2011) - 3,714 / 46,182
PES 2013 (launched on November 1st, 2012) - 11,365 / 43,484

Both LTDs up to end of 2012. As anyone can see here, PES 2013 saw a giant jump in sales compared to PES 2012, given the amount of time considered (2 months v.s. over one year), and this is why I'm so surprised there's no 3DS version this year: it'd have had another increase, especially due to MH4 coming to the platform and, so, bringing possible PES audience.

Mpl90

The question mark is European sales though; the SKU may have underperformed there.

You're right. It's true that PSP SKU sees good sales in Spain, Greece and South-America, but outside of there, I don't think there has been such a big difference in sales. Who says there shouldn't have been another PES on PSP? It still sells despite being such a low budgeted effort in some parts of the world. But not making a 3DS SKU for a platform that will see a huge increase in installed base soon (due to Pokémon and AC here, due to MH4 in Japan), and that showed a big increase in sales from PES 2012 to PES 2013 in Japan seems not that right.

jcm

Since we're here discussing PES not being on several platforms, this is what last two entries sold on 3DS in Japan

PES 2012 (launched on December 8th, 2011) - 3,714 / 46,182
PES 2013 (launched on November 1st, 2012) - 11,365 / 43,484

Both LTDs up to end of 2012. As anyone can see here, PES 2013 saw a giant jump in sales compared to PES 2012, given the amount of time considered (2 months v.s. over one year), and this is why I'm so surprised there's no 3DS version this year: it'd have had another increase, especially due to MH4 coming to the platform and, so, bringing possible PES audience.

That's a giant jump in sales?

Mpl90

That's a giant jump in sales?

PES 2012 sold 46k between December 8th, 2011 to December 31st, 2012
PES 2013 sold 43k between November 1st, 2012 to December 31st, 2012

PES 2012 sold just 10k in its first four weeks, PES 2013 sold 10k in its first week.

It sounds like a notable jump in sales to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You're right. It's true that PSP SKU sees good sales in Spain, Greece and South-America, but outside of there, I don't think there has been such a big difference in sales. Who says there shouldn't have been another PES on PSP? It still sells despite being such a low budgeted effort in some parts of the world. But not making a 3DS SKU for a platform that will see a huge increase in installed base soon (due to Pokémon and AC here, due to MH4 in Japan), and that showed a big increase in sales from PES 2012 to PES 2013 in Japan seems not that right.

Given that they're forfeiting the entire next-gen market to EA for at least a year, I'm not sure the 3DS SKU is their biggest glaring issue, but yes there was at least a bit of potential there, even if they just shoved over the PSP version to at least have some kind of product present.

That said the PSP has fairly decent soccer sales in a few nations, which they presumably feel isn't met well enough by the 3DS SKU for them to put in the effort.

Yikes. So not only were the PES rumors about Vita/Wii U versions this year wrong, but they're dropping 3DS as well?

I wonder if Konami's Baseball games will be similarly dropping their Vita SKUs then given they've all sold worse than any PES 3DS?

SmokyDave

You may not think it, yet it may be so.

Mario007

Given that they're forfeiting the entire next-gen market to EA for at least a year, I'm not sure the 3DS SKU is their biggest glaring issue, but yes there was at least a bit of potential there, even if they just shoved over the PSP version to at least have some kind of product present.

That said the PSP has fairly decent soccer sales in a few nations, which they presumably feel isn't met well enough by the 3DS SKU for them to put in the effort.
I'm more surprised there's no Vita version given how Fifa sold on the Vita in PAL land.

Spiegel

Yikes. So not only were the PES rumors about Vita/Wii U versions this year wrong, but they're dropping 3DS as well?

I wonder if Konami's Baseball games will be similarly dropping their Vita SKUs then given they've all sold worse than any PES 3DS?

Konami's Baseball games don't sell anywhere near PES.

jcm

PES 2012 sold 46k between December 8th, 2011 to December 31st, 2012
PES 2013 sold 43k between November 1st, 2012 to December 31st, 2012

PES 2012 sold just 10k in its first four weeks, PES 2013 sold 10k in its first week.

It sounds like a notable jump in sales to me.

Maybe by percentage. In absolute units it looks decidedly unimpressive, if there even is a real increase, rather than just more front-loading.

Taker666

Nintendo should just give Mario to Konami and let them make a Wii U/3DS Mario Soccer game done in the same engine. It would sell then.

I would assume the budget allocations, and consequently sales expectations, for a baseball game targeted only at Japan(?) are much lower than a football game aimed at the global game market.

Not that the new PES shots particularly give off a big budget feel.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if Konami like other publishers was consolidating to less platforms.

Spiegel

If 40k isn't enough for a 3DS port, why would less than that be enough for a Vita port? Nevermind that PES 3DS actually does well more than 40k worldwide.

FW retail the three Vita baseball games sold better than PES 2012/2013 3DS. And the last one at retail did twice the sales of PES 2013 3DS.

Do you have updated LTD sales?

QaaQer

I think it's because good first party software with a good reputation was released on Wii and has continued to draw in late adopters

the key is cheap old/used wii software. thats what sells the system to parents, who are the ones still buying wiis.

Hmm, old, but seemingly relevant:
007.jpg

EDIT: Looking at the post below, it seems MC has more up to date numbers.

FW retail the three Vita baseball games sold better than PES 2012/2013 3DS. And the last one at retail did twice the sales of PES 2013 3DS.

Do you have updated LTD sales?
ltds from glancing at the 2012 MC1000:

Power Pro 2012 Vita: 37,294
Pro Spirits 2012 Vita/ 34,977
Power Pro 2012 Keteibann Vita: 7,658

PES 2011 3DS: 105,394
PES 2012 3DS: 46,182
PES 2013 3DS: 43,484
Pro Spirits 2011 3DS: 42,616

Looks like weak legs for Vita, although there's digital to consider.

Spiegel

3DS Spirits 11 - 50,209

No more Konami baseball games on the 3DS.

]

Konami shipped >50k in the first week and most of those sales were made at bomba bins.
And you are comparing LTD sales to FW or SW sales. But you already knew that because garaph doesn't have updated sales for any of the games and for some reason you could only find updated numbers for the 3DS game.

ltds from glancing at the 2012 MC1000:

Power Pro 2012 Vita: 37,294
Pro Spirits 2012 Vita/ 34,977
Power Pro 2012 Keteibann Vita: 7,658

PES 2011 3DS: 105,394
PES 2012 3DS: 46,182
PES 2013 3DS: 43,484

Looks like weak legs for Vita, although there's digital to consider.

Yes. And still comparing PES to the baseball games makes no sense.

They might drop the Vita version but it has nothing to do with passing or not passing what PES has sold on 3DS.

Konami shipped >50k in the first week and most of those sales were made at bomba bins.
And you are comparing LTD sales to FW or SW sales. But you already knew that because garaph doesn't have updated sales for any of the games and for some reason you could only find updated numbers for the 3DS game.
Actually, I didn't. I thought Famitsu numbers were up to date (Top 1000). My mistake! :( EDIT: To reflect your very dramatic edit, I was checking Famitsu data on Geimin. Ch...

Now using MC data:

3DS Spirits 11 - 42,616

No more baseball games from Konami on the 3DS.

PSV Spirits 12 - 34,977

Followed by:

PSV Power 12 - 37,294
PSV Power 12 Definitive - 7,658

I believe it's still a valid observation, Spirits 3DS bombed and so did every entry released on PSV. The difference, Konami is still supporting PSV and they will probably announce Spirits 2014 for it. Clearly the "sold like shit, bye" rule doesn't apply here.

And every one of these games were sold at bomb bins, let's not.

Spiegel

Actually, I didn't. I thought Famitsu numbers were up to date (Top 1000). My mistake! :( EDIT: To reflect your very dramatic edit, I was checking Famitsu data on Geimin. Ch...

Now using MC data:

3DS Spirits 11 - 42,616

No more baseball games from Konami on the 3DS.

PSV Spirits 12 - 34,977

Followed by:

PSV Power 12 - 37,294
PSV Power 12 Definitive - 7,658

I believe it's still a valid observation, Spirits 3DS bombed and so did every entry released on PSV. The difference, Konami is still supporting PSV and they will probably announce Spirits 2014 for it. Clearly the "sold like shit, bye" rule doesn't apply here.

And every one of these games were sold at bomb bins, let's not.

It is a fair and valid obsevation. At this point, trying again with Pro Spirits 3DS should be a good option.
But maybe Sony is pressuring Konami for the Vita SKU, considering PS3 and PSP is where the fanbase is or maybe Konami doesn't want two similar portable versions (PSP-3DS) in the market.

And now you are using the correct numbers and giving some thought and not using the usual "witty" response + a gif/video.

Well done.

Oregano

Isn't it a similar case with Team Ninja? DOA Dimensions did better than their Vita games(didn't it?) yet they are still supporting Vita and not 3DS. DOA Dimensions wasn't a port but it reused a lot of assets.

Alrus

Isn't it a similar case with Team Ninja? DOA Dimensions did better than their Vita games(didn't it?) yet they are still supporting Vita and not 3DS. DOA Dimensions wasn't a port but it reused a lot of assets.

Honestly both sold like shit. Just like the NG Vita ports or the countless Musou port for the PSP. I don't know why they keep doing these.

Toukkiden is different (putting it on handhelds is very sensible, it's where the genre sells), I honestly don't know why all these companies are doing PSP/Vita games but don't release the games on the 3DS at the same time, where the fanbase they're targeting is present in high numbers... Monster Hunter being on there doesn't mean similar games won't sell. God Eater did really well on the PSP after all. (speaking of which, what the hell is happening with God Eater 2? I don't understand what's taking Namco so long with this one...)

3Kaze

Honestly both sold like shit. Just like the NG Vita ports or the countless Musou port for the PSP. I don't know why they keep doing these.

Toukkiden is different (putting it on handhelds is very sensible, it's where the genre sells), I honestly don't know why all these companies are doing PSP/Vita games but don't release the games on the 3DS at the same time, where the fanbase they're targeting is present in high numbers... Monster Hunter being on there doesn't mean similar games won't sell. God Eater did really well on the PSP after all. (speaking of which, what the hell is happening with God Eater 2? I don't understand what's taking Namco so long with this one...)

Maybe because crossplay wouldn't work between 3DS and PSP/PSV. And I think GE2 will be playable at an event this weekend, now that MH4 has a release date they might announce something soon.

Alrus

Maybe because crossplay wouldn't work between 3DS and PSP/PSV. And I think GE2 will be playable at an event this weekend, now that MH4 has a release date they might announce something soon.

Oh that's a pretty sensible reason actually, considering the games thrive on local multiplayer. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Konami sort of weighed in on the "bad port" thing:

konamilols0lip1.png

I'm not sure how much he knows, but that doesn't sound like Konami has a lot of Wii U games coming.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case anyone was curious where Tales was heading:

Joystiq said:
"Compared to the existing consoles like the Xbox 360 or PS3, the PS4 and Xbox One have much improved CPU, GPU, and memory," Baba told us, "So I think they [have] more potential, especially with visual effects. I'm afraid I don't have any plans to release for titles for the Xbox One or PS4, because my policy is to release Tales titles to the console which most of the fans want to play on."

When asked about the Wii U, Baba said "Same as the Xbox One and PS4, I don't have any plans to release titles for the Wii U."

Baba announced Tales of Symphonia Chronicles last week - a few days after quashing rumors of it as speculation. The HD bundle of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World is due in North America in early 2014, and is coming to the PS3. Speaking to *****, Baba revealed he still sees the PS3 as the key console for the Tales series at present.

"The reason why Xillia was released only on PS3 was because that is the console where most of the users want to play Tales games," Baba told Sp ong. "When more and more users decide to buy a PS4 and want the Tales series on that platform, that will be when we re-assess things."
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/04/tales-producer-no-plans-for-xbox-one-ps4-wii-u/

It sounds like they won't be trying their current gen strategy again.

Thorgal

In case anyone was curious where Tales was heading:

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/04/tales-producer-no-plans-for-xbox-one-ps4-wii-u/

It sounds like they won't be trying their current gen strategy again.

well since this gen they have jumped to every other console there was and PS3 ports always outsold them handily this would be a wise decision

and at this point PS3 and later PS4 seem like the only viable option at this point in time .

Wii U is a fish on dry land.

we can almost 100% say that X1 is definitely a no-no either at this point

and while highly succesfull i have my doubts about them releasing a original mothership title on a nintendo handheld again. ( a port .sure but no motherships. )

how well did tales of hearts do on the DS compared to the console titles ?

Bruno MB

I'm not surprised that World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 is skipping 3DS. In fact, what truly surprised me was the release of World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 after the previous release flopped so hard. So yes, 2013 edition sold considerably better, but that doesn't mean anything when the figures are so low. It couldn't even match the sales of Winning Eleven 3DSoccer during the same time frame (48.339 units sold in its first 3 weeks). And talking about this one, it end up selling 105.394 units, but according to Media Create there are still about 25.000 units out there from the first shipment.

[3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) {2011.02.26} - 24.556 / 105.394 (First shipment 133.000)
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) {2011.12.08} - 3.714 / 46.182
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami) {2012.11.01} - 11.365 / 43.484

It's worth noting that after just two releases, Konami stopped producing more titles from this series on NDS. And they did considerably better than the 3DS ones.

World Soccer Winning Eleven DS was a success, great opening and no over-shipping issues. It would cross 200.000 units. And then, the sequel came and failed miserably. Since expectations were great, this time retailers ordered more units, around 136.000, the game barely sold 30.000 in its launch. That would be the last title for NDS.

[NDS] World Soccer Winning Eleven DS (Konami) {2006.11.02} - 89.275 / 226.387
[NDS] World Soccer Winning Eleven DS - Goal x Goal! (Konami) {2007.10.25} - 28.985 / 122.567 (First shipment 136.000)

Anyway, as people pointed out previously, the vast majority of World Soccer Winning Eleven sales come from Europe, so it would be a mistake to focus the analysis from a Japanese-centric perspective.

The best example of this is the Winning Eleven Playmaker series on Wii. Only the first entry managed to sell a respectably amount, yet Konami didn't stop releasing subsequent sequels. It's easy to figure out that those games did well enough in Europe to justify more entries, something that we probably can't say for NDS and 3DS ones.

[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 (Konami) {2008.02.21} - 36.067 / 112.763
[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2009 (Konami) {2009.05.14} - 14.232 / 45.028
[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2010 (Konami) {2009.12.10} - 9.386 / 54.619
[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2010: Aoki Samurai no Chousen (Konami) {2010.05.20} - 7.162 / 49.974
[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18} - 8.105 / 72.928
[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2012 (Konami) {2011.11.03} - 14.117 / 66.059
[WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2013 (Konami) {2012.11.01} - 8.148 / 28.815

World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 for PSP still makes sense, ultra cheap development and can still do decently well. It will probably be the last one.

With regard to the lack of a PS Vita and a Wii U version, the thing is self-explanatory.

Top Bottom