• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2013 (Jun 24 - Jun 30)

Nintendo tryna make Pikmin 3 look important with a Saturday release date.
EPHQdOr.gif

Yes, I just noticed it.

hiska-kun

Media Create:

01./00. [PS3] Gundam Breaker <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.27} (¥7.980) - 200.564 / NEW <83,54%>

----

21./18. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800)
22./11. [PS3] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.05.23} (¥4.179)
23./16. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800)
24./00. [PSP] School Wars: Graduation Front # <ADV> (QuinRose) {2013.06.27} (¥6.300)
25./00. [PS3] FIFA 13 (EA Super Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.06.27} (¥1.995)
26./19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
27./12. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2013.05.23} (¥4.990)
28./20. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
29./00. [PS3] Injustice: Gods Among Us <FTG> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2013.06.27} (¥7.280)
30./23. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
31./04. [PSV] Kami Jigen Idol Neptune PP # <SLG> (Compile Heart) {2013.06.20} (¥6.279)
32./15. [3DS] Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter: Albatross no Tsubasa <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.06.13} (¥5.490)
33./17. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV # <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.05.23} (¥6.980)
34./00. [360] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) {2013.06.27} (¥7.140)
35./26. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
36./24. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980)
37./25. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040)
38./28. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040)
39./10. [PSP] Ro-Kyu-Bu! Lost Secret <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.06.20} (¥6.090)
40./22. [PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.23} (¥7.480)
41./08. [3DS] Sayonara Umihara Kawase <ACT> (Agatsuma Entertainment) {2013.06.20} (¥4.980)
42./33. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
43./14. [PSV] Winning Post 7 2013 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.20} (¥6.090)
44./40. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (PSP the Best) # <ADV> (Spike) {2011.11.23} (¥2.940)
45./30. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.14} (¥6.980)
46./00. [PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PlayStation3 the Best) <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) {2013.06.27} (¥2.940)
47./31. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980)
48./27. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.06} (¥1.800)
49./35. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
50./32. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PS3 - 15
PSP - 9
PSV - 3
WII - 2
WIU - 1
NDS - 1
360 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  1.010.000 |    517.000 |  1.117.000 | 21.436.000 | 23.650.000 |

Sellthrough for Toukiden (PSV and PSP) is +80%.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nothing from Dengeki (hoping Injustice Wii U made it in the top 3 of Wii U releases; I'm so eager to see how much it failed!)?

What confuses me about the situation is that Iwata said all the right things a few years ago. Nintendo is one of the saddest companies to watch because with other big corporations they basically get shoved out of the market after a few mistakes so even when they correct their mistakes it;s too late and they end up spiraling downward. Nintendo continues to get chance after chance after chance after chance and then screw it up again and again and again and again. Something has to change at the top level because its just been a mountain of excuses coming out of Nintendo executive's mouths.

And their strategy for 3rd party support now is just plain stupid. Build up the userbase and 3rd parties will come running? How about actually designing the system around a very easy to port to architecture. Takeda should have been let go years ago but I guess the Wii and DS bought him a lot of goodwill. Looking at the what Nintendo has done (or the lack of things Nintendo has done) it amazes me how people can shift the blame off Nintendo and make up conspiracy theories as to why no one seems to be on their side in the industry.

guek

Banned
What confuses me about the situation is that Iwata said all the right things a few years ago. Nintendo is one of the saddest companies to watch because with other big corporations they basically get shoved out of the market after a few mistakes so even when they correct their mistakes it;s too late and they end up spiraling downward. Nintendo continues to get chance after chance after chance after chance and then screw it up again and again and again and again. Something has to change at the top level because its just been a mountain of excuses coming out of Nintendo executive's mouths.

And their strategy for 3rd party support now is just plain stupid. Build up the userbase and 3rd parties will come running? How about actually designing the system around a very easy to port to architecture. Takeda should have been let go years ago but I guess the Wii and DS bought him a lot of goodwill. Looking at the what Nintendo has done (or the lack of things Nintendo has done) it amazes me how people can shift the blame off Nintendo and make up conspiracy theories as to why no one seems to be on their side in the industry.

Eh, I don't necessarily disagree with anything that you specifically said but I think you're focusing a bit too much on the wii u as well as being overly dramatic. In the past 2-3 years, the nintendo brass has made a plethora of mistakes but for 5 years or so before that, they did a lot of great things for the company. It's easy to pick on the wii u but even with the 3DS, the two big mistakes they made were giving 3rd parties breathing room during the launch and pricing it too high. Since then they've done a lot of great things for the platform and it's probably selling about as well as you could hope a dedicated gaming handheld can sell in the current market climate.

Nintendo screws up a lot but that's not all they do.

Eh, I don't necessarily disagree with anything that you specifically said but I think you're focusing a bit too much on the wii u as well as being overly dramatic. In the past 2-3 years, the nintendo brass has made a plethora of mistakes but for 5 years or so before that, they did a lot of great things for the company. It's easy to pick on the wii u but even with the 3DS, the two big mistakes they made were giving 3rd parties breathing room during the launch and pricing it too high. Since then they've done a lot of great things for the platform and it's probably selling about as well as you could hope a dedicated gaming handheld can sell in the current market climate.

Nintendo screws up a lot but that's not all they do.

Let's not buy into that Nintendo decided to give 3rd parties room at launch which is why the 3DS launch sucked. They just didn't have anything ready. Besides the DS and Wii being great moneymakers, what exactly did they do that was so amazing for the company because right now it seems like nothing has changed between the Gamecube era Nintendo and right now. They failed to invest in a real online architecture for years, failed to begin making deals so that anything besides their handheld would get 3rd party support, and failed to be ready for HD development when they had an enitre gen to prepare. It's not the fact that Nintendo screws up. Every company screws up something or isn't perfect. It's the fact that nearly everything Nintendo screws up is some mind boggling stupid with so many examples to point to how things should happen that Nintendo living inside their huge bubble seem to miss. I will give them credit though, their indie push over the last year has been pretty great.

So Nintendo made a lot of money, but what exactly did the brass do with that money for the their future? And just to note I'm not just talking about Iwata here. I'm talking about the entire board.

guek

Banned
Again, I just think you're being overly dramatic, which is funny since you can still easily criticize nintendo without doing so. You're also too quick to discount the wii/ds success. Those weren't complete flukes, even if luck did end up playing a part. You also don't seem to want to acknowledge the mild success the 3DS is experiencing either. Saying they didn't prepare the company during the wii/ds years is one thing but you seem to be claiming the nintendo brass can do nothing right which is just as myopic as saying they can do no wrong.

Again, I just think you're being overly dramatic, which is funny since you can still easily criticize nintendo without doing so. You're also too quick to discount the wii/ds success. Those weren't complete flukes, even if luck did end up playing a part. You also don't seem to want to acknowledge the mild success the 3DS is experiencing either. Saying they didn't prepare the company during the wii/ds years is one thing but you seem to be claiming the nintendo brass can do nothing right which is just as myopic as saying they can do no wrong.

No i never said they could do nothing right. I don't think you will find that anywhere in any of my posts. I said the mistakes they have made are so baffling that it confuses me. It's pretty obvious something has gone right over there otherwise they would be losing a lot more money than they have. And we're in a japanese sales thread do i really need to point out that the 3DS is a success? But yes, I don't trust the current management at Ninendo with the future of the company because they were able to tun the 3DS around after it the launch failure (which they were responsible for not 3rd parties), but watching them fail once again makes me think that luck was a huge factor in the Wii and DS successes rather than a minimal part of it. And I believe that if something doesn't change their next launch could be even more disastrous because they are staring down the face of a dwindling handheld market and a console market that on the current path they will be barely be a part of.

So yes I am criticizing them, but being critical doesn't mean I think they are complete failures that never did anything right. They made a lot of money, but the company was terribly prepared for the future, but we can agree to disagree because Nintendo is going to do what they are going to do and we can approach this conversation again when the next FY report comes in.

Wii especially looks more and more like a complete fluke every day. Motion control was a brilliant idea and a massive success for a few years, but that success appears to have accomplished very little for Nintendo in the long run.

Rather than transforming the industry in Nintendo's favor, which seems to have been Nintendo's fatally flawed assumption in designing Wii U, I'd say the Wiimote merely anticipated other industry trends that more forward-thinking companies have done a better job of capitalizing on (mainly mobile/social devs; Opiate has made quite a few excellent posts here on this point). Ultimately, its main achievement seems to have been in buying Nintendo a 3-4 year-long reprieve from the consequences of the bad decisions they've been making since at least the GC era.

guek

Banned
Wii especially looks more and more like a complete fluke every day.

I disagree with this just like I disagree with the general sentiment that wii sports was the only game that sold people on the wii. While I do think luck played a major factor and that nintendo made plenty of missteps along the way, they did a lot of great things to ensure its success. Wii Sports - an accident? a fluke? whatever, I don't want to get into that but even if it was...

- $250 price point
- Moving TP to the launch
- Fantastic marketing
- Wii Fit and Wii Play
- The timing and quality of Mario Kart, Brawl, NSMBWii, Galaxy 1/2, Donkey Kong, Wii Sports Resort

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you though. It sounds to me like saying the wii was a fluke is akin to saying Nintendo dropped it into the marketplace with wii sports and then everything fell into their lap accordingly. That doesn't make any sense to me. They did a lot from 2006 to the beginning of 2011 to make sure it a tremendous success. Did luck play a part? Yeah, I'd say so. But I don't think it was just luck.

Of course, the discussion of whether or not they squandered that success is something completely different.

Madouu

I think people are definitely right in heavily criticizing Nintendo for the situation the Wii U is in right now but this attitude of downplaying anything they did right in the past strikes me as very weird to say the least. Them having had successes in the past doesn't magically negate an analysis of the current situation they are in. I notice this a lot in Nintendo discussions but I guess this is more related to people thinking that Iwata is the main responsible for Wii U's current business shortcomings and want to see him go rather than Nintendo as a whole.

What I'd call a fluke is a company that is successful with one single product and then fades to irrelevancy right afterwards. Nintendo is probably the single opposite of that in the videogames industry.

DaBoss

Nintendo doesn't have any intent on making a console with the third-parties in mind. I don't think they'll change in that regard.

Wii especially looks more and more like a complete fluke every day. Motion control was a brilliant idea and a massive success for a few years, but that success appears to have accomplished very little for Nintendo in the long run.

The Wii and the DS were not flukes the way they capitalized on it during both of their prime times.

Nintendo made a bunch of software that really captured the casual audience on both systems. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, Brain Age, NintenDogs, Wii Party, and etc. They knew what to make

But I think the Wii and the DS gave them the wrong ideas when they were creating the Wii U and the 3DS. Well that's what I take from it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So one thing I noticed this week is that a fair number of people weren't aware of what Toukiden was, and it got me wondering if people would like me to do some write-ups on what notable upcoming games are about. This would basically only be when the game is either announced (or the first real details come out if it's a detailless reveal), or when something large enough happens that we can make new inferences about a title's sales potential. I can also provide some brief speculative sales analysis to along with it.

Basically, I will do an example version below, and feel free to tell me if you find this useful or not useful. I don't want to clog up the threads if people feel this is off-topic or unhelpful.

---

1.) Sengoku Basara 4 (PS3)

Sengoku Basara is basically a Dynasty-Warriors-type game based around stylized versions of historical Japanese generals with plotlines and combat styles that are highly flashy and highly unrealistic in favor of entertainment and drama. The series also had a (successful IIRC) anime adaptation, and has shown a somewhat atypical ability to appeal to women. While Capcom did not say a large amount about this game, what they did say is potentially telling as far as their plans for the series. Instead of taking place during the actual Sengoku period, everyone is teleported back in time a few hundred years to a fictional alternate history featuring both popular mainstay characters as well as new, rookie generals who serve as entry points for players new to the series. The game's director was eager to tell Famitsu that this is being built to be an excellent entry both for fans and newcomers to the series. The screenshots they released were too small for me to be able to tell if they're making notable use of the increased horsepower available now that the series is no longer on the Wii.

Sales Potential: The director's comments imply that Capcom is notably interested in having this game reach new audiences while retaining their old audience. This suggests that they will likely step up their marketing efforts to assist in achieving their goal. The PS3 is also quite old now, but still a market relevant platform, so there should be a large potential audience to sell to even among people who only pick up consoles when they're cheaper.

Hardware Impact: Minimal at best. While the previous game was also on Wii and this one is only on PS3, given how old the PS3 is, I imagine that by the time this comes out a large number of people who bought the game on Wii will have either already picked up the PS3 or likely don't have any intention of buying a PS3 regardless. The game's sales may ultimately be hardware relevant however if Sengoku Basara 5 is on a new platform.

2.) Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3: Full Burst (PS3/360/PC)

This game is essentially a game of the year style re-release of Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 that is releasing in tandem with a new DLC pack that adds the same extra content that is present in Full Burst for people who already own the game. The headline feature here is the PC version, but that's largely irrelevant in Japan. You may remember that Namco/From have done this previously with Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition and Capcom with Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition. The series is essentially a light licensed fighting game that focuses around retelling the plotline of Naruto.

Sales Potential: It's a re-release of an existing game that didn't really set the charts on fire the first go around, and the only new platform present is irrelevant in the region.

Hardware Impact: None, it's a re-release in a series that has already had four entries on the PS3.

3.) Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 (3DS)

The first trailer for Project Mirai 2, the newest Hatsune Miku rhythm game, finally released. Unfortunately, unlike the lavish, high production value videos and intricate dance routines present in the Vita/PS3 game, this entry mainly consists of Miku and/or other vocaloids standing in place in the middle of a mostly static stage and moving around a bit, given that the chibi/gashapon versions of vocaloids don't have much in the way of limbs to work with in terms of creating a detailed dance to begin with. Relative to the Vita/PS3 game, I would compare it most directly to a PSP spin-off of a notable PS2 game. However, this isn't that different from the nature of the Miku PSP games, which were also heavily based around singular stages upon which the characters danced. The most notable difference this go around is that Project Mirai 1 was released before the Vita/PS3 game raised the bar, whereas Project Mirai 2 is being released after.

Sales Potential: This one I feel is the hardest to tell with. On the one hand, the Vita/PS3 game reached a lot of people who have now experienced a notably higher standard. On the other hand, the 3DS is by far the best selling system in Japan. I think what the sales of this game will reveal the most is how important the actual videos/presentation/dance routines are to the Miku fanbase versus how many people just want a rhythm game with vocaloid music and don't care about all the extra aspects very much.

Hardware Impact: Very minimal at best, given that everyone who would buy the system for this game presumably either bought it for the first Project Mirai or already owns a 3DS due to all the other much higher profile games already released on the system.

ajjow

I couldnt agree more with metalslimer.
You cant conceive an asnwer to why they couldnt group third party support to their machines.

Every person in this industry know how nintendo hardware is terrible. Im not talki g about how strong the specifics are, but how different the hardware is.

It seems nintendo hardware exists only to justify the job of the people who works there. It is much more important to create an enviroment to third parties than to create a hardware per si.

Nintendo justify their hardware team by the controllers. Ok, so why they cant just creat the freakin crontroller and a hardware that resembles others hardware.

This blue ocean is a big bullshit. You cant create a market for yourself only without others appreciation, unless you create a teally cheap console that anyone can buy. Please, 250 dollars on a 3ds and 350 dollars on a wii u?!? Madness. You cant justify that.

Nintendo was lucky with wii and ds. They cant compreend that a cheap hardware with a new input can do marvelous, but a normal hardware with nothing substantial new cant be expensive.

Thats why i believe the new ps4 wont be a hot crazy seller as many think. It will do good numbers, but nothing like ps2 or DS.

Mr Swine

Banned
So does anyone think that SE has sent FFX and X-2 HD to die if the rumors of it being released in October are true? If it does get released a few days before the Pokemon craze, won't that affect its sales on Vita?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So one thing I noticed this week is that a fair number of people weren't aware of what Toukiden was, and it got me wondering if people would like me to do some write-ups on what notable upcoming games are about. This would basically only be when the game is either announced (or the first real details come out if it's a detailless reveal), or when something large enough happens that we can make new inferences about a title's sales potential. I can also provide some brief speculative sales analysis to along with it.

Yes, great idea.

I disagree with this just like I disagree with the general sentiment that wii sports was the only game that sold people on the wii. While I do think luck played a major factor and that nintendo made plenty of missteps along the way, they did a lot of great things to ensure its success. Wii Sports - an accident? a fluke? whatever, I don't want to get into that but even if it was...

- $250 price point
- Fantastic marketing
- Wii Fit and Wii Play
- The timing and quality of Mario Kart, Brawl, NSMBWii, Galaxy 1/2, Donkey Kong, Wii Sports Resort

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you though. It sounds to me like saying the wii was a fluke is akin to saying Nintendo dropped it into the marketplace with wii sports and then everything fell into their lap accordingly. That doesn't make any sense to me. They did a lot from 2006 to the beginning of 2011 to make sure it a tremendous success. Did luck play a part? Yeah, I'd say so. But I don't think it was just luck.

Of course, the discussion of whether or not they squandered that success is something completely different.

The Nintendo of 2006 seems so different compared to the NIntendo of 2013. It just takes a watch of E3 2006 vs watching E3 2012 to see the differece and how vast it is. The marketing was on point. The price was good. They had a huge core hitter right out of the gate and they had confidence in the product they were selling. I don't think it was a complete fluke the Wii enjoyed the success it did otherwise it would have died off in a year after Wii Sports 1 got old, but yes it does seem they were extremely lucky.

Nintendo has introduced many things to gaming over the years so it is not a crazy idea that something they would introduce would be as popular as motion control. In essence, the confusing part to me is that if the Wii was based off of so many wise decisions how in the world did they fall so hard? I would say hubris, but Iwata seemed to be saying all the right things before the Wii U launched in regards to lineups and 3rd parties. Nintendo just confuses me and I guess that's one thing they do that doesn't surprise me.

schuelma

The Nintendo of 2006 seems so different compared to the NIntendo of 2013. It just takes a watch of E3 2006 vs watching E3 2012 to see the differece and how vast it is. The marketing was on point. The price was good. They had a huge core hitter right out of the gate and they had confidence in the product they were selling. I don't think it was a complete fluke the Wii enjoyed the success it did otherwise it would have died off in a year after Wii Sports 1 got old, but yes it does seem they were extremely lucky.

I think another factor we don't really talk about is because of the Wii hardware decision it was very easy for Nintendo to have a ton of software ready for launch and 2007.

DaBoss

That's a great idea Nirolak. Those examples are good.

I think another factor we don't really talk about is because of the Wii hardware decision it was very easy for Nintendo to have a ton of software ready for launch and 2007.

Yea, I feel like people don't factor this when they say Nintendo should have put in stronger hardware. What troubles they're encountering now would have been even worse back then.

Basically, I will do an example version below, and feel free to tell me if you find this useful or not useful. I don't want to clog up the threads if people feel this is off-topic or unhelpful.

---

1.) Sengoku Basara 4 (PS3)

Sengoku Basara is basically a Dynasty-Warriors-type game based around stylized versions of historical Japanese generals with plotlines and combat styles that are highly flashy and highly unrealistic in favor of entertainment and drama. The series also had a (successful IIRC) anime adaptation, and has shown a somewhat atypical ability to appeal to women. While Capcom did not say a large amount about this game, what they did say is potentially telling as far as their plans for the series. Instead of taking place during the actual Sengoku period, everyone is teleported back in time a few hundred years to a fictional alternate history featuring both popular mainstay characters as well as new, rookie generals who serve as entry points for players new to the series. The game's director was eager to tell Famitsu that this is being built to be an excellent entry both for fans and newcomers to the series. The screenshots they released were too small for me to be able to tell if they're making notable use of the increased horsepower available now that the series is no longer on the Wii.

Sales Potential: The director's comments imply that Capcom is notably interested in having this game reach new audiences while retaining their old audience. This suggests that they will likely step up their marketing efforts to assist in achieving their goal. The PS3 is also quite old now, but still a market relevant platform, so there should be a large potential audience to sell to even among people who only pick up consoles when they're cheaper.

Hardware Impact: Minimal at best. While the previous game was also on Wii and this one is only on PS3, given how old the PS3 is, I imagine that by the time this comes out a large number of people who bought the game on Wii will have either already picked up the PS3 or likely don't have any intention of buying a PS3 regardless. The game's sales may ultimately be hardware relevant however if Sengoku Basara 5 is on a new platform.

2.) Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3: Full Burst (PS3/360/PC)

This game is essentially a game of the year style re-release of Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 that is releasing in tandem with a new DLC pack that adds the same extra content that is present in Full Burst for people who already own the game. The headline feature here is the PC version, but that's largely irrelevant in Japan. You may remember that Namco/From have done this previously with Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition and Capcom with Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition. The series is essentially a light licensed fighting game that focuses around retelling the plotline of Naruto.

Sales Potential: It's a re-release of an existing game that didn't really set the charts on fire the first go around, and the only new platform present is irrelevant in the region.

Hardware Impact: None, it's a re-release in a series that has already had four entries on the PS3.

3.) Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 (3DS)

The first trailer for Project Mirai 2, the newest Hatsune Miku rhythm game, finally released. Unfortunately, unlike the lavish, high production value videos and intricate dance routines present in the Vita/PS3 game, this entry mainly consists of Miku and/or other vocaloids standing in place in the middle of a mostly static stage and moving around a bit, given that the chibi/gashapon versions of vocaloids don't have much in the way of limbs to work with in terms of creating a detailed dance to begin with. Relative to the Vita/PS3 game, I would compare it most directly to a PSP spin-off of a notable PS2 game. However, this isn't that different from the nature of the Miku PSP games, which were also heavily based around singular stages upon which the characters danced. The most notable difference this go around is that Project Mirai 1 was released before the Vita/PS3 game raised the bar, whereas Project Mirai 2 is being released after.

Sales Potential: This one I feel is the hardest to tell with. On the one hand, the Vita/PS3 game reached a lot of people who have now experienced a notably higher standard. On the other hand, the 3DS is by far the best selling system in Japan. I think what the sales of this game will reveal the most is how important the actual videos/presentation/dance routines are to the Miku fanbase versus how many people just want a rhythm game with vocaloid music and don't care about all the extra aspects very much.

Hardware Impact: Very minimal at best, given that everyone who would buy the system for this game presumably either bought it for the first Project Mirai or already owns a 3DS due to all the other much higher profile games already released on the system.

What would you say the chances of Sengoku Basara 4 coming to the West are (SB 3 was an absolute disaster outside Japan IIRC)?

And yeah, it's a good idea. This was a nice write up.

Anyone think Nintendo might announce Basara 4 in the Fall Direct?

Remember some JP ports were announced then, like:

Monster Hunter 3G
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyer/2 Hyer
Ken's Rage 2
ROTK 12

Was Dragon Quest X announced then or at another event?

Basara 4 is ripe for a Wii U port considering past entries, it's odd that Capcom wouldn't announce it there, but maybe like last year Nintendo's in this (we'll announce it ourselves later) thing or something.

That's a great idea Nirolak. Those examples are good.

Yea, I feel like people don't factor this when they say Nintendo should have put in stronger hardware. What troubles they're encountering now would have been even worse back then.

Well I think it would have somewhat been mitigated if Wii Sports was still the success it was. Let's not forget the Wii lineup was awful post launch as well. Wii Sports and Twilight Princess carried the thing for almost a year until stuff like Metroid Prime 3 and Galaxy game out. Nintendo's Wii lineup would have probably been vastly different though and I doubt we see something like Sin and Punishment 2. I don't know what would have been better for Nintendo: facing difficulties for development while in the middle of 2 massive successes or facing difficulties now while having the Wii U be a failure while they get a handle on it?

Edit: I wouldn't expect much from Capcom or any JPN 3rd party for this holiday. It was said earlier,but with such a huge focus given to something like Yakuza 1&2 HD it would be pretty shocking if they had some mega surprise saved up and if there is some more I would expect it for early next year.

schuelma

Basara 4 is ripe for a Wii U port considering past entries, it's odd that Capcom wouldn't announce it there, but maybe like last year Nintendo's in this (we'll announce it ourselves later) thing or something.

Its possible I suppose, but I think late ports of already released stuff like DW7 is more likely, if anything.

DaBoss

Does Nintendo always hold Fall conferences now?

Well I think it would have somewhat been mitigated if Wii Sports was still the success it was. Let's not forget the Wii lineup was awful post launch as well. Wii Sports and Twilight Princess carried the thing for almost a year until stuff like Metroid Prime 3 and Galaxy game out. Nintendo's Wii lineup would have probably been vastly different though and I doubt we see something like Sin and Punishment 2. I don't know what would have been better for Nintendo: facing difficulties for development while in the middle of 2 massive successes or facing difficulties now while having the Wii U be a failiure why they get a handle on it?

That's a bit bullish. Looking at this list, I see they released a bunch of titles throughout the year and it's actually had a bunch of games and a bunch of shovelware coming out. The Wii U list is literally empty with Nintendo developed (specifically leaving out Lego City Undercover) games for literally 6 months. Their output would have been drastically affected if the Wii had stronger hardware.

Your example of Sin & Punishment 2 is weak since it was made due to the sales of Sin & Punishment on the VC.

Spiegel

Remember some JP ports were announced then, like:

Monster Hunter 3G
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyer/2 Hyer
Ken's Rage 2
ROTK 12

Was Dragon Quest X announced then or at another event?

Didn't Iwata just told investors that he can't announce third party games and it's up to them to announce the games?

It makes no sense to delay announcements now.

That's a bit bullish. Looking at this list, I see they released a bunch of titles throughout the year and it's actually had a bunch of games and a bunch of shovelware coming out. The Wii U list is literally empty with Nintendo developed (specifically leaving out Lego City Undercover) games for literally 6 months. Their output would have been drastically affected if the Wii had stronger hardware.

Your example of Sin & Punishment 2 is weak since it was made due to the sales of Sin & Punishment on the VC.

The Sin and Punishment 2 thing was just wondering if Nintendo would have give Treasure the budget for an HD games based off thoseVC sales. My point was that Wii Sports and Twilight Princess was the catalyst to get core and casual gamers to buy the Wii and if they had managed to get those out they would have had a lot easier time dealing with delays while their system was selling gangbusters than having to deal with delays while the system rots on store shelves. Of course this assumes that the system still takes off. It's really a bunch of what ifs though. No one could have seen the Wii being that big of a success so I don't really fault Nintendo for those times. I fault them for what they failed to do over the following 6 years.

The Wii did have a much better intial lineup than I remembered with Mario Party 8, Super Paper Mario, Big Brain Academy, Warioware, and Mario Strikers

L Thammy

I think it could be very helpful. But the people who will need this the most are probably going to be those who don't follow these threads too closely. In that case, accessibility may be more important than full detail. Going towards that extreme:

Sengoku Basara 4
Genre: Hack and slash (e.g. Dynasty Warriors)
Port/Multiplatform: Exclusive
Aesthetic: Historical/Over-the-top
Sales concerns: Attempting audience expansion, aged platform
Hardware impact: Unlikely (Aged platform)

Not nearly as informative, but less intimidating and easier to get a quick answer from. If any of those things concerned me I could quickly see them. You could also include your in-depth analysis alongside a more accessible summary.

Sinnick

I believe that 3rd parties want to consolidate their target audience to as few platforms as possible (PS, XBox, and PC) without giving up what leverage the have over a platform holder. I think a major reason why many 3rd party Wii, & Wii U ports had either a different artstyle, release date, advertising push, etc than the other versions was because 3rd parties didn't their audience to migrate to a fourth platform (in this case Nintendo). The end result are ports (tests) that are targeted at those that make Nintendo systems their primary console.

I don't think 3rd parties are interested in how much a Wii U port sells, but rather how much it can sell to those who only or mostly invest in Nintendo platforms. Thus, we get Yakuza tests, stealth CoD & Watchdogs updates, etc...

In recent memory (from 2006-present), they only skipped 2009.

2006-2008 were Wii focused, 2010-2011 were 3DS focused, and 2012 was Wii U focused.

guek

Banned
If the Wii was based off of so many wise decisions how in the world did they fall so hard? I would say hubris, but Iwata seemed to be saying all the right things before the Wii U launched in regards to lineups and 3rd parties.

Yeah no joke, man. I'm totally with you there. While I think they deserve credit for resurrecting the 3DS, the Wii U has such bigger problems that are only magnified as more time passes. If Iwata orchestrated a Wii U "comeback," it'd be an astonishing feat that'd easily eclipse both the PS3 and 3DS comebacks.

As far as whether or not HD development would have set nintendo even further back in 2006 compared to now, I don't think it had to. The Wii and Wii U are not analogous in terms of power. The Wii U has 2x the ram of the previous gen, more advanced graphical features, and the benefit of EDRAM. I don't think it's really even a "half gen" leap from last gen (as in halfway between 360 and XB1) but it's much more of a leap comparatively than Wii was over PS2/XB.

I say this as someone who enjoyed the Wii more than his 360 last gen - the biggest boneheaded decision nintendo made was crippling the hardware improvements to such a drastic degree. They could have made some significant improvements over the previous gen like they have with the Wii U, taken a slight loss on hardware at the same price, and likely made even MORE money. If Wii had been an HD-capable system with basic shader support, it would have gotten much more attention from 3rd parties based on HD alone, regardless of how short it fell compared to PS360. Of course, that probably wouldn't have allowed them to incorporate flawless GC backwards compatibility but I don't think that would have hindered the console any in the long run. I recall reading an interview where either iwata or miyamoto state they had board members wanting to go HD and others pushing SD and that it wasn't an easy decision. It drives me crazy knowing what could have been had they made some relatively minor changes to the Wii. It could easily be at 150mil right now instead of 100mil.

ack, sorry, I ranted for way too long...

L Thammy

Sorry if this doesn't exactly follow (I'm just eyeballing the discussion), but I think the DS should be compared to the Wii when we're discussing whether it was a fluke or otherwise.

The DS was certainly handled in a competent way. Not only was it a unique, appealing product, but Nintendo did a fantastic job of supporting it with the Touch! Generations line, the revival of 2D Mario and such. They kept up a supply of new, fresh products alongside their tried-and-true franchises.

The Wii relied more on existing franchises, I think. There was the Wii line, but a lot of their other original games were hardcore focused stuff that didn't seem to succeed.

I believe that 3rd parties want to consolidate their target audience to as few platforms as possible (PS, XBox, and PC) without giving up what leverage the have over a platform holder. I think a major reason why many 3rd party Wii, & Wii U ports had either a different artstyle, release date, advertising push, etc than the other versions was because 3rd parties didn't their audience to migrate to a fourth platform (in this case Nintendo). The end result are ports (tests) that are targeted at those that make Nintendo systems their primary console.

I don't think 3rd parties are interested in how much a Wii U port sells, but rather how much it can sell to those who only or mostly invest in Nintendo platforms. Thus, we get Yakuza tests, stealth CoD & Watchdogs updates, etc...

The wii situation was that most had already sunk a year into their ps3 engines and trying to rework to include a wii version would have been even more expensive and time consuming. They were stuck on their path because of betting on sony based on the ps2. With 360 versions some of those jp games still managed to do pretylty good in the west, lost planet etc from capcom come to mind.

The wiiu situaion is something else anecdotally it doesnt seem like it is a difficult task to create a port of a 360 game for the system, so it theoretically should be getting more support than it is with the move toward spreading accross many platforms for mwxinun revenue.

I wonder if the impending next gen systems might be playing a rle here, not from a focus to them specifically but that they are using up the resources for supporting multiple systems. More of a limit to manpower than money is what I'm trying to say we have seen a coule of examples in the west where the current gen versions are being handled by port teams which would normally do the wiiu work i think.

Jus a thought, what do you think guys think?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks everyone.

I think it could be very helpful. But the people who will need this the most are probably going to be those who don't follow these threads too closely. In that case, accessibility may be more important than full detail. Going towards that extreme:

Sengoku Basara 4
Genre: Hack and slash (e.g. Dynasty Warriors)
Port/Multiplatform: Exclusive
Aesthetic: Historical/Over-the-top
Sales concerns: Attempting audience expansion, aged platform
Hardware impact: Unlikely (Aged platform)

Not nearly as informative, but less intimidating and easier to get a quick answer from. If any of those things concerned me I could quickly see them. You could also include your in-depth analysis alongside a more accessible summary.

Yeah I think I'll do a quick summary version too. That makes sense.

What would you say the chances of Sengoku Basara 4 coming to the West are (SB 3 was an absolute disaster outside Japan IIRC)?

Not wholly implausible, but I think it might end up digital only.

As Spiegel mentioned, Iwata just noted that he would like to announce more games, but third parties have full control of that, so it doesn't really make sense for Capcom to sit around driving tons of attention to Basara as a PS3 only game if there's a Wii U version.

Thorgal

So does anyone think that SE has sent FFX and X-2 HD to die if the rumors of it being released in October are true? If it does get released a few days before the Pokemon craze, won't that affect its sales on Vita?

Why ? if it is both well Marketed it will sell.
FF is still huge in japan so i would not worry.

I don't believe either that pokemon /MH4 will crush that game into irrelevance .

I have never seen a game no matter how monstrously huge it may be Suck any sales potential a game has on another platform dry .

hiska-kun

According to Japanese retailers blogs, The Last of Us is sold out in many places. Toukiden is also another game that is facing stock problems.
Strong opening for Earth Defense Force 4.

- $250 price point
- Fantastic marketing
- Wii Fit and Wii Play

One thing people seem to be ignoring is HD TV adaption ratio in first years of this gen - a lot of consumers still had crt tvs at that point in time so the Wii wasn't looking that bad compared to competition.

And of course economic climate - buying 250$ toy in 2007-2008 was not a problem at all while in 2013 spending 300$ on machine to play few games is much harder to accept for general consumer.

Looking at next gen I'm expecting big reduction in multiconsole ownership rate.

Thorgal

MHP3 PSP and Ninokuni DS.

Just to be sure.

Do you name these two because their ports underperformed ( sorry . wasn't around back then to know ) on another platform ?

Or did these games sell so well that other games on other platforms under performed because of it ?

I you mean the first then you misunderstood me as i meant that While Poké and MH4 will be huge which is undeniable . i don't believe those will make FF irrelevant on another platform .

probably should have worded that better.

Just to be sure.

Do you name these two because their ports underperformed ( sorry . wasn't around back then to know ) on another platform ?

Or did these games sell so well that other games on other platforms under performed because of it ?

I you mean the first then you misunderstood me as i meant that While Poké and MH4 will be huge which is undeniable . i don't believe those will make FF irrelevant on another platform .

probably should have worded that better.
Hmm? You guys were posting about two games in two different platforms competing each other. Ninokuni (DS) released one week after MHP3 (PSP), and Hino (L5 CEO) believes that was a bad decision.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/21/ni-no-kuni-over-500000-in-sales-says-level-5-ceo/

So basically, MHP3 did hurt Ninokuni sales.

Top Bottom