• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2013 (Jun 24 - Jun 30)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is Sega's doing, right? It's still weird, but if it's Nintendo using a Yakuza demo instead of their other games... why.

It is really odd. It is like Nintendo is acting like this is Yakuza 6 and not a year old HD port.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It is really odd. It is like Nintendo is acting like this is Yakuza 6 and not a year old HD port.

I feel the thought process is probably:

A.) It's one of the only games they have coming out soon.
B.) It's one of the only games they have coming out soon that doesn't appeal to their traditional audience.

It's a lot like when they spent a ton of time advertising MGS3 for 3DS, even when the HD collection on PS3/360 was already announced.

Kid Ying

Well, it's not much, shouldn't even count as an ad, but Nintendo is giving 10% of discount for people who buys Pikmin, Lego and W101 on their launch week on eshop. So, it's a start.

schuelma

I feel the thought process is probably:

A.) It's one of the only games they have coming out soon.
B.) It's one of the only games they have coming out soon that doesn't appeal to their traditional audience.

It's a lot like when they spent a ton of time advertising MGS3 for 3DS, even when the HD collection on PS3/360 was already announced.

I suppose, and I guess it shows some good faith towards Sega and all..but still, seems like they are betting on a horse that never had a chance to get out of the gate.

Edit- thinking a bit more on it, I think I see where Nintendo is going- even though it is a late HD port, it is still the first Yakuza game to hit a N platform. I imagine they are going to try reasonably hard to push for an audience.

Bruno MB

I remember that Yakuza 1&2 HD was treated in that "SEGA Direct" almost as if it were a big event title. They devoted 10 minutes to a port of 2 PS2 games that was already released on PS3 like half a year ago.

I feel that Nintendo's attempts to gather support from Japanese companies translated into Yakuza 1&2 HD, Sonic: Lost World and practically nothing else. They don't have many other better things to market. With Wii U, Nintendo really have outdone themselves when it comes to poor third-party support and market awareness, and it wasn't and easy task at all.

It is very revealing that for example Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z is skipping Wii U. A game from a company that apparently has a good relationship with Nintendo and doesn't have trouble supporting as many systems as possible. Even Wii got Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (which sold as much as Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit) and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

I suppose, and I guess it shows some good faith towards Sega and all..but still, seems like they are betting on a horse that never had a chance to get out of the gate.

Edit- thinking a bit more on it, I think I see where Nintendo is going- even though it is a late HD port, it is still the first Yakuza game to hit a N platform. I imagine they are going to try reasonably hard to push for an audience.
Crippled horses sometimes win lol

They're probably doing this just to let people know Yakuza is on Nintendo for the first time and if it does good we might see more
ports
in the future.

schuelma

It is very revealing that for example Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z is skipping Wii U. A game from a company that apparently has a good relationship with Nintendo and doesn't have trouble supporting as many systems as possible. Even Wii got Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (which sold as much as Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit) and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Right now Namco has nothing announced for the platform and the only games released on it so far were Tekken Tag and Tanks!

It appears they are heavily backing Sony right now- Vita is getting a lot of multi-platform stuff.

I would still expect a Taiko Drum game sooner or later though..

gogogow

Right now Namco has nothing announced for the platform and the only games released on it so far were Tekken Tag and Tanks!

It appears they are heavily backing Sony right now- Vita is getting a lot of multi-platform stuff.

It's funny though, Nintendo are collaborating with them on SSB, a huge game, but in return Nintendo gets nothing. What kind of deal is that?

It's funny though, Nintendo are collaborating with them on SSB, a huge game, but in return Nintendo gets nothing. What kind of deal is that?

This is what really annoys me. As time goes on and hardly anything shows up, it's becoming more and more like there's nothing for Nintendo to gain from this.

Hell Namco's been pretty silent on 3DS sans Taiko I guess. Bandai's been rocking, but it's Namco specifically that's doing SSB4.

Sounds like Nintendo came to Bandai with the SSB proposition, so they feel like they don't need to give anything back.

schuelma

Nintendo appears to have decent relationships with many Japanese 3rd parties and yet Wii U support is pretty much non existent.

I don't know who else to blame other than Nintendo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Oddly, after 7+ years of not releasing a single game for PC, Namco has been pretty big on supporting the platform lately.

They even just announced Naruto Ultimate Storm 3 for it (with no Wii U version) on top of Dark Souls, Ace Combat, and multiple Ridge Racer games from earlier.

I never thought going into gen 8 we'd see heavy Namco support for PC and next to none for Wii U.

gogogow

Nintendo appears to have decent relationships with many Japanese 3rd parties and yet Wii U support is pretty much non existent.

I hope Nintendo/Iwata wakes up very soon. Depending on goodwill will sink you sooner or later. All these collabs and Nintendo gets nothing in return. Make active deals, Iwata! Not like this, the "let's wait, cause we gave them SSB, they get their name out there and maybe they'll give us Tekken 7 or whatever in return" kind of deal. At this point it's clear that the majority of JP third parties aren't making any games for the Wii U. When they do start making, it's gonna take 2 or more years to complet, it's already too late.

schuelma

I hope Nintendo/Iwata wakes up very soon. Depending on goodwill will sink you sooner or later. All these collabs and Nintendo gets nothing in return. Make active deals, Iwata! Not like this, the "let's wait, cause we gave them SSB, they get their name out there and maybe they'll give us Tekken 7 or whatever in return" kind of deal.

Yes. It appears Sony is being much more aggressive with Vita 3rd party development (finally!). I do not believe most Japanese developers and publishers are adverse to Nintendo development like many Western companies- but with bad sales and little historical presence on N platforms for many 3rd party series I believe Nintendo has to be far more aggressive, even if that means spending money.

schuelma

Nintendo get SSB on shelves before 2016. That's what they get out of it.

And presumably a lot of Namco developers who will be intimately familiar with the system. I could see that being a benefit in a few years..

Bruno MB

With the exception of Monster Hunter 3G HD and Dragon Quest X if we count its supposedly good digital sales, everything bombed terribly. Things are so dire for Wii U that the third best selling release of this year for this platform hasn't even sold over 25.000 units. Even more, only 2 third-party titles have sold over 35.000 units since Wii U's launch.

So yes, the only one to blame here is Nintendo for creating such an unappealing platform.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seeing such an embarassing situation third party wise in Japan is what makes me think the next Nintendo home console will just be...a device that receives the signal from the handheld console, allowing to play games on the big TV screen, using the portable console as controller, a reversed Wii U.

Mario007

Seeing such an embarassing situation third party wise in Japan is what makes me think the next Nintendo home console will just be...a device that receives the signal from the handheld console, allowing to play games on the big TV screen, using the portable console as controller, a reversed Wii U.
Betting on the ever shrinking portable market is exactly not what they should be doing. Look how difficult it was to get 3DS to sell properly. And the system is still largely just a nintendo games machine outside of Japan, which takes away resources from building games for the Wii U, judging by the amount of Nintendo games coming out for the 3DS.

I never thought going into gen 8 we'd see heavy Namco support for PC and next to none for Wii U.

Nintendo really should have secured Dark Souls 2 for Wii U.

Such a marquee title could really sway popular opinion about the console and seems to have legitimate selling power.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo screwed up securing the next "SKU" spot for PS3 titles, i thought after they lost a bunch of games to the PSP last gen, they would have thought their lesson. But it seems that once again the Sony portable will be able the prefered console for ports. Titles like One Piece Musou 2 oder Dragon Ball Z not hitting WiiU was already a bad sign.

schuelma

Nintendo screwed up securing the next "SKU" spot for PS3 titles, i thought after they lost a bunch of games to the PSP last gen, they would have thought their lesson. But it seems that once again the Sony portable will be able the prefered console for ports. Titles like One Piece Musou 2 oder Dragon Ball Z not hitting WiiU was already a bad sign.

Unless Nintendo is paying for the port, I can see how a PS3 port makes little sense right now for 3rd parties. At least with Vita there is a unique feature that could lead to some sales- the portable nature of the platform.

cw_sasuke

Unless Nintendo is paying for the port, I can see how a PS3 port makes little sense right now for 3rd parties. At least with Vita there is a unique feature that could lead to some sales- the portable nature of the platform.

First Vita ports also didn't set the world on fire, but they kept going at it. And yes, Vita as a portable has a and advantage for japanese titles. But they are not even trying with new WiiU games, just cause off Off-TV alone WiiU skus might attract customers.

Sonys dev-kit environment must be great if its easier and more straight forward to port games to Vita instead of WiiU. Just didnt expect WiiU to end up with less 3rd party support from japanese publishers than 360 in its 8th year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
First Vita ports also didn't set the world on fire, but they kept going at it. And yes, Vita as a portable has a and advantage for japanese titles. But they are not even trying with new WiiU games, just cause off Off-TV alone WiiU skus might attract customers.

Sonys dev-kit environment must be great if its easier and more straight forward to port games to Vita instead of WiiU. Just didnt expect WiiU to end up with less 3rd party support from japanese publishers than 360 in its 8th year.
Yeah the Vita even lets you use PS3 shaders with zero modifications and run them on Vita, on top of also still being a LibGCM based system, so porting is pretty easy.

Spiegel

Little Battlers Wars is getting released 2 months after Little Battlers W Explosion Boost or whatever the expansion is called now (September 26th). And it's an ugly looking, low budget strategy game

afjDMh6.jpg

Does L5 want to kill the franchise or what?

schuelma

Yeah the Vita even lets you use PS3 shaders with zero modifications and run them on Vita, on top of also still being a LibGCM based system, so porting is pretty easy.

Right, that's the other factor. Amazingly, it appears that Nintendo designed a system that isn't port friendly for current or future gen systems.

cw_sasuke

Thanks, this explains much. The PS3/PSV/PS4 eco-system is probably the most attractive for multiplatform development concerning Japanese Non-3DS title. Sony probably is also in a better position to discuss ports since the PS4 will probably the go-to console worldwide this time.

Iwata should have secured ports before the system even launched to make sure, that even if sales are slow publishers will have to bring their games for the first 12-18 months to the system. He probably expected a Wii sales like situation, where 3rds would rally up to bring their games to the system once they see its sales figures.

Once again Nintendo were in a position of strength in the console market, but they screwed it up worse than most of us would have predicted.

schuelma

Thanks, this explains much. The PS3/PSV/PS4 eco-system is probably the most attractive for multiplatform development concerning Japanese Non-3DS title. Sony probably is also in a better position to discuss ports since the PS4 will probably the go-to console worldwide this time.

Iwata should have secured ports before the system even launched to make sure, that even if sales are slow publishers will have to bring their games for the first 12-18 months to the system. He probably expected a Wii sales like situation, where 3rds would rally up to bring their games to the system once they see its sales figures.

Once again Nintendo were in a position of strength in the console market, but they screwed it up worse than most of us would have predicted.

I still maintain the launch lineup was solid. It was the follow up that has been terrible, both 1st and 3rd party wise.

Little Battlers Wars is getting released 2 months after Little Battlers W Explosion Boost or whatever the expansion is called now (September 26th). And it's an ugly looking, low budget strategy game

afjDMh6.jpg

Does L5 want to kill the franchise or what?
I think L5 has proven time and time again that they have the worst brand management of all time. Its as if they actively try to ruin their franchises.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Right, that's the other factor. Amazingly, it appears that Nintendo designed a system that isn't port friendly for current or future gen systems.
One thing it is port friendly with though is Wii technology, which helped get things like Monster Hunter and DQX going quickly along with Nintendo's internal games.

The hardware choices they made were very inward focused instead of third party focused and well... It shows.

It is not friendly with the 3DS though which Nintendo has mention they regret and want to fix in future handheld/console pairings.

schuelma

One thing it is port friendly with though is Wii technology, which helped get things like Monster Hunter and DQx going quickly along with Nintendo's internal games.

The hardware choices they made were very inward focused instead of third party focused and well... It shows.

It is not friendly with the 3DS though which Nintendo has mention they regret and want to fix in future handheld/console pairings.

Right..which is why I still think the casual Wii stuff from Japan is most likely coming (Taiko Drum, Go Vacation, Inazuma Strikers).

cw_sasuke

I still maintain the launch lineup was solid. It was the follow up that has been terrible, both 1st and 3rd party wise.

I dont understand how a multi billion company can be so naive - they spend 100 million in R&D for their new console and even after the lack-luster response at two main trade shows, they still dont react ? I like Iwata, but not being able to secure a port of titles that are also on Ps3 and 360 like MGS V, just BLOWS my mind. When the WiiU was unveiled, everyone was skeptic that PS4/Xbox180 titles would be possible on it, but the majority agreed that it`ll at least get the Ps3/360 games as long these platforms are supported.

Is NIntendo to proud of a company to play the game like its competitors do or where is the problem ? In a world where F2P, Smartphones, Tablets etc. are taking time and money away from traditional plattforms releasing such a console with no "real" 3rd Party support just baffles my mind.

@Spiegel
The game doesnt look good in still, but its a S-RPG and i could probably find a Fire Emblem Awakening pic where it also looks this bad. It doesnt say much, without seeing it in motion. Maybe they think that their kids userbase wont even see the difference.

crinale

I think L5 has proven time and time again that they have the worst brand management of all time. Its as if they actively try to ruin their franchises.

IMO within the LBX franchise the big money lies in plastic models and toys. If the media franchise gets bloated (even it started as a video game), then video game priority goes down.
Expanding the universe beyond video game is double-edged sword (for video game fans) I guess...

DaBoss

One thing it is port friendly with though is Wii technology, which helped get things like Monster Hunter and DQx going quickly along with Nintendo's internal games.

That's Nintendo strategy or whatever it's caled in general. The industry is very 3rd-party focused with MS and Sony dancing the 3rd-party dance, while Nintendo doesn't seem to give a shit and only wants 3rd-parties to put games on their system. They should really change that and that I think will only happen with a drastic change in management.

And yea, Sony is leagues ahead of Nintendo in creating an ecosystem that is good for porting between the systems.

wrowa

There's definitely a huge difference in philosophy between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft. Nintendo's traditionally been lacking in relationships with 3rd parties, since it's a very 1st party focused company. First and foremost, their platforms are a vehicle to sell their own games. 3rd party games are only an additional source of income and mainly interesting to Nintendo in order to expand a platform's userbase -- so that in turn Nintendo can potentially sell their 1st party output to even more people. Sony and Microsoft's business however is much more focused on the success of 3rd party games, using 1st party games mainly as a means to get an edge over the competition, so that their platform becomes more viable for 3rd parties to sell as many games as possible.

As long as that stance won't change Nintendo will never be able to compete with Sony and MS in terms of 3rd party relationships. And it won't change, since their focus on immensely successful 1st party games is what made Nintendo successful to begin with.

Why would Namco Bandai need to develop additional games for the Wii U? Nintendo was in need of resources to develop Smash Bros and Namco had those. That's a pretty straight forward deal.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
O

Are we still talking about (up/down) porting or are you referring to other aspects such as scope of connectivity and cross-platform integration?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are we still talking about (up/down) porting or are you referring to other aspects such as scope of connectivity and cross-platform integration?
Taking the same engine, art assets, and tools pipeline and being able to scale between the two platforms relatively easily.

For example NVIDIA and DICE got Battlefield 3 running on a Tegra 5 because the Tegra 5 has a lot of hardware compatability with high end GPUs: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/1...-battlefield-3-on-new-kepler-mobile-hardware/

If you don't have something like this, switching staff between a 3DS and Wii U game is hard even if you're making a very similar game. This can have a knock on effect in terms of a company being able to support both their handheld and home console with a lot of games at the same time for example.

Road

Speaking of Wii U, 317k is the worst first-half for a just launched gaming machine in Japan* this side of Xboxes, WonderSwans and Neo Geo Portables. Vita bested it barely, with 333k in the comparable 26 weeks of 2012.

*hardware released since 1996, according to Famitsu.

And since I'm here and Chris1964 hasn't posted yet, but sell-through from that blog:

Earth Defense Force 4: over 80%, many places sold-out. For one system at least...
Toriko Gourmet Battle (3DS): Almost this week's Rabbids Land.
Mame Goma Happy whatever (3DS): This week's Rabbids Land.

Bruno MB

Why is that? Second hand market?

A game like Shin Megami Tensei IV doesn't appeal to a broad audience. The vast majority of its potential buyers are composed of loyal rpg fans that will rush to buy it as soon as it is become available. Then effectively, there are other factors to take into consideration such as the amount of used copies that can make this game have an even higher first week / LTD ratio than usual. I don't know if this will be the case with this title, probably not since its sales are in line with other similar entries.

L Thammy

So Nintendo x Platinum doesn't sound like it's on the verge of a decades long super-partnership or an imminent buyout: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614076

However, even if Nintendo stops publishing Platinum games after Bayonetta 2, I'm not sure that would have any negative effect on the platform given that Bayonetta 2 would pretty much attract any Platinum Games fans who were willing to buy a Wii U anyway.

I think this also further underlines Nintendo's marketing problem.

Many consumers don't know what the system is, their core-focused games since at least the Wii era are often severely underadvertised (to the point that a developer is complaining), and they're setting up demos station for an old port when they have them for bigger upcoming and current titles in North America. And, as noted, some of their best advertising is in Nintendo Direct rather than being spread about.

They really need to develop their marketing muscle.

Top Bottom