• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2013 (Jul 22 - Jul 28)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Still think their plan is to ride out the gen losing as little money as possible on Wii U and milking 3DS for all they can. That'd mean no price cut until they can reduce the cost of the system enough to compensate. PS3/Xbox level losses, this ain't gonna be. If the GamePad is the reason for this (like Blu-Ray was a major reason for PS3 losses early on), they should ditch it, if at all possible. Make it an optional accessory somehow. Probably can't, though, so it's just a matter of riding this gen out as long as they can before closing the books on this one and moving on. Maybe that eDRAM manufacturer place's closing will end up being well-timed. :lol

I agree that is their plan,but at some point you have to bow to reality and realize your system could get pulled off retail world wide if sales don't improve.

Wii U's Combined Sales 3 Weeks Before Pikmin 3

Media Creates: 20,640
Famitsu: 16,462

Wii U's Combined Sales 3 Weeks Post Pikmin 3

Media Creates: 47,852
Famitsu: 45,689

While these numbers are by no means healthy, I don't see why the 'plan' or 'strategy' has to be any more complex than what they're planning on doing. The 9M goal is probably beyond what they can reasonably expect to ship at this point world-wide, yes. But I think that some are under-estimating the effect of actually releasing first party software for the system consistently.

Well, as you note, those sales even post-Pikmin launch, are not healthy. So therein lies the expectation of something more than just carrying on as if everything is going to plan.

Saying the 9M goal is beyond what they can reasonably expect, is a huge understatement. It is frankly a batshit crazy "goal," it's essentially willfully misleading any investor stupid enough to believe it.

As for under-estimating the effect of releasing first-party software consistently, this isn't limited to Nintendo, but to any of the three: First-party software is not enough. No platform holder can carry a system on its own. This was discussed prior to the systems release as well, iirc, with people dismissing the importance of third parties.

Because Nintendo can not release software consistently enough to fill the void left by the absence of third parties. They can not realistically release a game every month or every fortnight for the remainder of the system's life.

BlackJace

I don't know, I think there is some sort of strategy in place. I'm pretty sure a good number of their titles have been ready for months now, and they plan to intentionally bunch them up and drop them monthly until the holidays.

I know, I know, it's not comparable to the 3DS situation, but I really do think consistent release can help any situation.

Whether or not that was the best course of action remains to be seen, considering they effectively let the system die for 6 months. That has repercussions not easily dealt with.

Saying the 9M goal is beyond what they can reasonably expect, is a huge understatement. It is frankly a batshit crazy "goal," it's essentially willfully misleading any investor stupid enough to believe it.

I agree. However, while I recognize they are in different situations and the machine still missed its 2011 targets, the 3DS went from 6.68 million shipped LTD WW at the end of Q2 2011 to 17.13 million at the end of the FY on the back of Mario and Mario Kart and MH3G in Japan.

That's not broken.
According to a reviewer, the game seems like unfinished product and rushed production.

Id say it belongs around 25 just due to half of the game seems "unfinished". Since in these types of non visual novel types of games, half of it would be gameplay. The story and characters seem to be decent which adds up to 25. But -15 for the gameplay / animations / sound. Music isnt too bad so that doesnt really subtract or add to the score.

For a letter grade Id give this a C.

Do agree with you that with more TLC this game could have been a lot better and would have generated decent enough sales I think. Seeing how besides from all the money spent on the VA work, its low budget as is.

Generally too I dont put much stock into Famitsus reviews anyways. lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I agree that is their plan,but at some point you have to bow to reality and realize your system could get pulled off retail world wide if sales don't improve.

I think they need to decide what they actually want to do with their home console business.

So far the strategy of "a console for everyone" has landed them with a console for no one.

BlackJace

I think they need to decide what they actually want to do with their home console business.

So far the strategy of "a console for everyone" has landed them with a console for no one.

That's the thing, do they decide to compete with MS and Sony for the 16-35 male crowd, or tap into another demographic again? I don't envy their brainstorming team.

That's the thing, do they decide to compete with MS and Sony for the 16-35 male crowd, or tap into another demographic again? I don't envy their brainstorming team.

How about they try and get third parties on their system and not shoe horn some gimmick/feature unless they really do have have novel uses for said gimmick/feature that they can show off using their core franchises.

ohlawd

AA5; show them legs. You're blasting past 700k mmk! I got that shock thing doctors use to revive dead peoples.

It probably won't even matter what they choose.

In my opinion Wii and Wii U put them into Sega like situation where 2 years of drought on Wii and whole Wii U fiasco seriously undermined consumer trust into Nintendo home consoles.

How many happy Wii U owners can you see buying next Nintendo console day one ?

How about they try and get third parties on their system and not shoe horn some gimmick/feature unless they really do have have novel uses for said gimmick/feature that they can show off using their core franchises.
Question is, even if Nintendo did all that, would you still be willing to buy third party multiplatform games on their console rather than the alternatives?

jwhit28

How is it a shoehorned gimmick? Did you see how many games at E3 this year had 2nd screen features?

Question is, even if Nintendo did all that, would you still be willing to buy third party multiplatform games on their console rather than the alternatives?

Well owning a Nintendo console would be much more viable but personally no. I doubt my friends would make the jump too and there are franchises like GT that I really want to play.

Well owning a Nintendo console would be much more viable but personally no. I doubt my friends would make the jump too and there are franchises like GT that I really want to play.
And that kind of attitude is Nintendo's real problem, rather than their hardware on its own. Unless Nintendo can show that third parties can sell well in their platforms, having equal or better specs won't amount to support. The Gamecube is testament to this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How many happy Wii U owners can you see buying next Nintendo console day one ?

If he can't see any, I will step in for him to be able to see one. I'm quite happy with my Wii U. I really like the system itself (surprisingly, I wasn't too hot for the concept beforehand) and the line up fit with my spare time really well. Since launch, I've always had something to play: NSMBU, Batman, Darksiders and Sonic Kart 2 lasted until Luigi U came out, which almost lasted until I got Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and then Rayman Legends are not too far off. So despite the small line up up to this point, I've had enough to play. Nintendo also has the best year's end line up for me, with Super Mario 3D World, DKC5 and Sonic being must-haves, Zelda WW, Assassin's Creed 4, Watch Dogs (if it isn't too GTA-y) and Batman 3 as a supplement. I'll be there day one for the next Nintendo console, too, as long as it has games on a medium, no always-online-restrictions and Nintendo continues to deliver quality in lighthearted games.

jwhit28

No, what were they using the 2nd screen for?

Stuff like tablet players controlling drones in The Division, operating police helicopters in Need for Speed, building worlds with touch in Project Spark, Killer Instinct played on a tablet, inputting hacks in Watchdogs, playing as a designated commander in Battlefield.

Of course the Wii U's sales don't justify putting this stuff on there for most devs, but it's clear they like the idea of 2nd screens.

Also whats wrong with having subscreens? After playing RPGs on DS/3DS I wouldn't want it any other way.

Stuff like tablet players controlling drones in The Division, operating police helicopters in Need for Speed, building worlds with touch in Project Spark, Killer Instinct played on a tablet, inputting hacks in Watchdogs, playing as a designated commander in Battlefield.

Of course the Wii U's sales don't justify putting this stuff on there for most devs, but it's clear they like the idea of 2nd screens.

Also whats wrong with having subscreens? After playing RPGs on DS/3DS I wouldn't want it any other way.
They don't "like the idea of second screens," they simply realise there are billions of smart devices out there and want to try and attract those users.

It's quite clear from comments from people like Yves Guillemot, that Ubisoft and EA's concept of "second screens" and the intent behind them is so far removed from the Wii U's that it bears no relation.

What they want to do is capture the market on tablets. They do not envision tethered pseudo-tablets.

Sandfox

And that kind of attitude is Nintendo's real problem, rather than their hardware on its own. Unless Nintendo can show that third parties can sell well in their platforms, having equal or better specs won't amount to support. The Gamecube is testament to this.

I'm not disagreeing with you but he wants GT and nothing Nintendo does would get on that on their console lol. Even if they had third parties there would still be exclusives that could sway people in another direction but it works both ways so meh.

Kid Ying

I think Nintendo is banking thatcthose titles will move some units and to get some momentum. Its not a big plan and their objective is friggin impossible, but if they start to at least get some healty software sales i think theyll ve happy.

I was referring to Nintendo. Those games don't really depend on that feature and I doubt many would buy those games for that feature, but for the WiiU this second screen thing is its selling point alongside Nintendo games. Its clear to see that the selling point is weak, and to be frank I do see it as a gimmick. There is nothing revolutionary the gamepad provides from a game play standpoint that I have witnessed or played yet that justifies the increase in the systems price. If the WiiU did not have the gamepad I am willing to bet it would still sell the same because the main reason people are buying it are for Nintendo games. In that sense it (the gamepad) has little relevancy to the products use (as of now).

Kid Ying

The potential poor sales if killer dead makes me sad. Not like i believed the game was going to destroy the charts being number one and stuff, but aftet lolipop i thought grasshopper games were being more considered by the public. Perhaps people like more strange games about zombies than strange games about assassins...

Anyway, i saw people at the other thread said this game should've had a wiiu port, cause suda fans are at nintendo, and i disagree. I mean, not like theyre not, its just that suda games bombed at the nintendo side and the other side. It doesnt matter the platform, Suda is always going for the kill (of the wallets of his publisher) so, ii dont think it would've mattered

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
At least in terms of concurrent users, PSO2 seems to be doing very well:

ibrGXhZoFrewwe.png

For comparison, here are the peak numbers for Steam today:

495,282 Dota 2
65,085 Team Fortress 2
64,532 Sid Meier's Civilization V
46,544 Football Manager 2013
53,700 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
34,251 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
32,943 Counter-Strike
30,325 Garry's Mod
28,502 Counter-Strike: Source
28,306 Borderlands 2

Kid Ying

Nintendo is going to feel very nervous when the PS3 version of FrontierG outsells the WiiU one x30 lol
The release date doesnt help, but frontier has a chance to perform nice, since there is an audience on the wiiu for monhan. Not expecting to see the sales of tri g for frontier, but i dont think we have an yakuza 2.

At least in terms of concurrent users, PSO2 seems to be doing very well:

For comparison, here are the peak numbers for Steam today:

495,282 Dota 2
65,085 Team Fortress 2
64,532 Sid Meier's Civilization V
46,544 Football Manager 2013
53,700 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
34,251 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
32,943 Counter-Strike
30,325 Garry's Mod
28,502 Counter-Strike: Source
28,306 Borderlands 2
Still can't bring in to the states, SEGA :'(

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Pretty sure that PSO2 will happen at PS4 launch or very near after it - just makes too much sense for Sega not to do it. Porting the PC version to PC shouldnt be too difficult.

Alrus

Sega handled the original PSO rather weirdly so who knows if they're going to be logical with this one. I mean, PSO ep 1&2 never came out for the PS2 despite being on the Gamecube and the Xbox...

Anyway I just hope they're still planning to release it in the west on day >.>

Nintendo is going to feel very nervous when the PS3 version of FrontierG outsells the WiiU one x30 lol

Why would they be nervous because of Frontier?

duckroll

Monster Hunter Frontier G is a free download title with a monthly subscription fee. Both the PS3 and WiiU versions will be free for download in November, but they require a monthly hunter license of 1400yen to play. They are also selling retail "beginner packs" for both systems at 6090yen, which come with 2 months worth of subscription, and 16 different bonus freebies ranging from costumes, weapons, bonus points, etc.

This is similar to PSO2, not any of the normal MH games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
More specifically, they expect 610k software sales on Vita from Oct '13 to Mar '14. So it's definitely something which hasn't been announced yet.

Doesn't "Full Fiscal Year" refer to the whole FY, including Q1 and Q2?

He's probably implying that mainline MH games will shift to Sony platforms rather than Nintendo if Frontier sells as well as he's saying on PS3.
Seems a bit shortsighted to hope for that conclusion based on, you know, everything associated with both MH Frontier and the Wii U. The megaton would be if MHFG somehow magically voodooed higher sales on Wii U.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes and you can see the results for Q1 and the forecast for Q2 right there. :p

yeah, sorry, now I got it, I gave a better look at the prospect. Thanks for the explanation, though XD
Then, yes, 610k between October to next March, across five SKUs. Could we do a recap of SKUs coming out on every console by SEGA?

Spiegel

1/3 of that is probably miku, which would leave ~400k over 4 more sku

They miss expectations pretty often iirc.

Also shipments. Miku shipped 250k or so and Sega might expect a better result for the 2nd game now that the Vita is cheaper.

It might be 300k for 3 SKU (5 - Soccer game - Miku 2)

Top Bottom