• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2016 (Jul 25 - Jul 31)

wrowa

I told y'all publishers would force a transition to PS4 even if it killed them. They drew the battle lines at PS4 and all the other systems can burn for all they care.

I'm kinda anxious to see NX's Japanese 3rd party support. Kid-oriented companies like Level-5 are seemingly shifting their focus to smartphones, the big Japanese publishers are focusing on sales in the west and Japan's smaller core-gaming publishers are traditionally focusing on PS platforms and seem to be placing their bets on PS4.

It's kind of a weird situation, considering NX will in all likelihood become Japan's most popular dedicated gaming platform for the upcoming years. And yet I can't but wonder if the 3rd party support will be there. Gonna be interesting to see if NX is capable enough that companies like SE deem it worthwhile to port their PS4 games there.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PAD turning out to be such a fad (hohoho) on 3DS is kind of surprising. This one had an anime series and a sizeable merch campaign behind it.

So ? xD Its not like Gaist Crusher did well - just because companies are interested in burning money it doesnt mean that the market will respond.

PaD X its the 3rd game on a aging system - everyone interested in PaD plays the mobile version, the younger audience they are trying to attract has other and more popular options like YW at their disposal.

They got lucky that Nintendo let them the Mario IP for the second game because otherwise we would have seen the major crash already happening 2 years ago.

I
It's kind of a weird situation, considering NX will in all likelihood become Japan's most popular dedicated gaming platform for the upcoming years. And yet I can't but wonder if the 3rd party support will be there. Gonna be interesting to see if NX is capable enough that companies like SE deem it worthwhile to port their PS4 games there.

They are happy to port most of their games to Vita as well if its possible - i doubt they wont find a way to port their game to a more powerful and popular portable system in 2017.

Dinda

What, Noooo. Why did Toukiden bomb. It looks so good,(and it also played great in the 2nd demo) i really like the direction they are going with the franchise.....

Damn, bring it to the west as soon as possible, hopefully it will have decent sales here.

Eolz

There's actually no proof of this, unless you're thinking the Wii U was a good test for if Western console gamers want to play an action game.

Toukiden is fucked in every country though. Just let it die, it will never sell well. The people have shown what they want in a hunting game and it's basically just MH.

In the west, MonHun came out on PS2, Wii and WiiU. In Japan, it was on PS2, PS3, X360, Wii and WiiU. All console versions sold like shit comparred to handheld versions no matter the place. So yes, there is proof. And let's not forget that in the west it started to sell well (even amazing, considering it got to a million) when it was put on 3DS.

Basically what I was going to reply :p
Obviously marketing help, and that's partly why it's a nintendo exclusive now...
Thay's not to say it won't come back on console, but it'll likely be ports or frontier as usual. There's nothing showing potential for main monhun games on consoles. Even more when you look at competitors like Toukiden.

It did. But not when comparred to Gen 3 handheld entries. I think it didn't even got to a million WW. So yeah, P3rd and 3U outsold it by a lot.

I remember Tri getting to a million WW actually. Will have to check on that.

Takao

Banned
So ? xD Its not like Gaist Crusher did well - just because companies are interested in burning money it doesnt mean that the market will respond.

PaD X its the 3rd game on a aging system - everyone interested in PaD plays the mobile version, the younger audience they are trying to attract has other and more popular options like YW at their disposal.

They got lucky that Nintendo let them the Mario IP for the second game because otherwise we would have seen the major crash already happening 2 years ago.

Gaist Crusher is an IP that cratered on arrival. PAD has a lot of success in the mobile space and had that in the dedicated one too. I assume Gungho were hoping the mixed media push would tell people this was a bigger effort than Mario PAD. I guess not all is lost, though. If the push brought people back to the mobile game, that's still money in Gungho's pockets.

Escalario

Banned
MH Tri got to 1.8 million WW. It under performed in Japan but beat Capcom's international expectations.

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Damn. Guess after Wii sales it did make even more sense to go with 3DS as the main MonHun machine, not only because of it being the only handheld (and console in general) in Japan with possible good sales (Vita was DOA long before release).

MacTag

Banned
Kid-oriented companies like Level-5 are seemingly shifting their focus to smartphones,
Level 5 seems like an odd example to use here given they just announced their most diverse 3DS lineup since launch. After a couple years of doing nothing but Yokai Watch on the system too.

They've also made multiple big (and unsuccessful) pushes towards mobile before. The real change for Level 5 is that they're now moving multiplatform for a lot of projects but that's still seems to be mobile+Nintendo (Yokai Watch, Snack World, Lady Layton, Megaton Musashi, likely IE Ares).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Level 5 shared some of their plans for their next cross-media franchise Megaton Musashi:

Gematsu said:
  • Megaton Musashi will be the top of the line of the robot genre. Its setting will resonate well with the older generation. [Nirolak's Note: Good luck with that one.]
  • The protagonist of the anime is Yamato, but in the game you can play from the perspectives of other characters. It’s similar in image to Little Battlers eXperience Wars for 3DS.
  • They’re paying particular attention to the coolness of the robots—the “cool actions in the cockpit” like shouting the name of techniques and pulling levers.
  • Level-5 announced toys that simulate the cockpit of Musashi, but they also want something that connects to the game like Capcom did with Steel Battalion for Xbox.
  • Supported platforms have yet to be decided, but Level-5 is considering 3DS development. As these are giant robots and they’re placing considerable emphasis on anime, Level-5 is also considering development on high-spec machines so that the content can be enjoyed to its fullest. Hino wants to see it on as big a screen as possible.
  • A release is planned from around summer 2017.
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/08/level-5-...t-see-big-screen-possible#IbEyIBVcGvX3rLYL.99

horuhe

It seems Splatoon goods were quite popular during this week, the new manga and other stuff. The game could have suffered the sold-outs the related goods suffered as well.

I told y'all publishers would force a transition to PS4 even if it killed them. They drew the battle lines at PS4 and all the other systems can burn for all they care.

What company you talking about here? Didn't TK just post record profits last FY, and stuff like Nioh looks promising.

crinale

The blog guys is saying Sony is narrowing PS4 shipment heavily for some unknown reason.
I'm sure he knows why though hehe.

cheesekao

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Damn. Guess after Wii sales it did make even more sense to go with 3DS as the main MonHun machine, not only because of it being the only handheld (and console in general) in Japan with possible good sales (Vita was DOA long before release).
Talking in terms of sales, P3rd is the peak of the franchise and they just ditched the PSP just like that. Over time, the PSP would have been fazed out but I'm pretty sure 3G could have done much better if it were PSP/3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cool. I was just reading Zhuge's writeup about them on his blog. They seem to be doing well even with missteps.

And obviously Berserk will become the most popular game ever released.

I went to follow up on this a bit more, and here's how they did in Q1 (April - June 2016) by segment:

koeitecmoq1wbslh.png

MacTag

Banned
That would be hinting at a newer revision and not only the PS Neo...
People have been assuming Neo would be an intended additional model sold alongside a cheaper PS4 but what if it's actually meant to be a full replacement to hold pricepoint higher? More like a DS Lite than an XL?

Elios83

The blog guys is saying Sony is narrowing PS4 shipment heavily for some unknown reason.

Yes it seems retailers have been informed that Sony is clearing stock of current models.
They have warned about shortages especially towards the end of august.
That could hint to new hardware coming in september and not just Neo considering that Sony plans to continue to make the bulk of PS4 sales on the original model.

L~A

Was wondering why the 3DS was down so much Year on Year, and was reminded of that little bugger:

01./00. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.320) - 522.556 / NEW <76,29%>

Bruno MB

Prediction League July 2016 Results

Congratulations to:

- Aters, for winning by units!
- Ryng_tolu, for winning by mean error %!

Code:
    BY UNITS                                            BY MEAN ERROR %

01            Aters          234.284                01          Ryng_tolu         29,20%
    02          Ryng_tolu        319.106                02            Aters           30,65%
    03          astrogamer       465.284                03             Eolz           32,96%
    04             Eolz          483.284                04            Yeshua          40,51%
    05        DarkLordMalik      492.061                05          astrogamer        42,89%
    06            horuhe         608.273                06          Chris1964         45,06%
    07           Bruno MB        614.106                07           Bruno MB         46,78%
    08           casiopao        656.284                08            horuhe          58,82%
    09            Yeshua         752.992                09        DarkLordMalik       66,67%
    10          Chris1964        841.441                10           casiopao         80,49%

Code:
                                                          Famitsu  Ryng_tolu  casiopao   Yeshua   Bruno MB DarkLordMa  Aters   Chris1964 astrogamer  horuhe     Eolz
          [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura           818.964  1.050.000 1.170.000 1.500.000 1.300.000 1.111.111  950.000  1.567.890 1.150.000 1.243.661 1.199.000
            [PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA               57.411    50.000   147.000    48.000    55.000   122.222    60.000    56.789    81.000    46.013    60.000
 [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter / Dragon Chapter   100.943   140.000   280.000   100.000   165.000   155.555   150.000   123.456   175.000   191.404   177.000
                    [PSV] Toukiden 2                       64.169   100.000    90.000   100.000   115.000   122.222   100.000   123.456    90.000   122.764    88.000
                    [PS4] Toukiden 2                       55.771    50.000    45.000    30.000    40.000    33.333    40.000    45.678    45.000    32.649    55.000

TOTAL ABS. DIFF.                                319.106   656.284   752.992   614.106   492.061   234.284   841.441   465.284   608.273   483.284
                      MEAN ERROR %                                   29,20%    80,49%    40,51%    46,78%    66,67%    30,65%    45,06%    42,89%    58,82%    32,96%

Code:
                        STATISTICS                         FAMITSU   GAF_AVG     MIN       MAX      UNDER      OVER             CLOSEST BY
          [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura            818.964  1.224.166  950.000  1.567.890     0%       100%            950.000 Aters
             [PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA               57.411    72.602    46.013   147.000     50%       50%           56.789 Chris1964
  [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter / Dragon Chapter   100.943   165.742   100.000   280.000     10%       90%            100.000 Yeshua
                     [PSV] Toukiden 2                       64.169   105.144    88.000   123.456      0%       100%             88.000 Eolz
                     [PS4] Toukiden 2                       55.771    41.666    30.000    55.000     100%       0%              55.000 Eolz

Our predictions were a total mess this month.

Oregano

I'm kinda anxious to see NX's Japanese 3rd party support. Kid-oriented companies like Level-5 are seemingly shifting their focus to smartphones, the big Japanese publishers are focusing on sales in the west and Japan's smaller core-gaming publishers are traditionally focusing on PS platforms and seem to be placing their bets on PS4.

I already said a long time ago there's a good possibility that NX gets caught in the awkward middle ground between mobile and PS4. I could really see it having weak support.

What company you talking about here? Didn't TK just post record profits last FY, and stuff like Nioh looks promising.

People already explained it earlier in the thread but that was on the back of social browser games. Their core franchises are all in a serious state of decline. Whether Ni-oh does well remains to be seen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People already explained it earlier in the thread but that was on the back of social browser games. Their core franchises are all in a serious state of decline. Whether Ni-oh does well remains to be seen.

Well, it's also the collaboration titles. They get big payments from publishers for that.

Hiring Koei Tecmo is more expensive than hiring a random independent studio that has to live contract to contract.

casiopao

Bah. All title bombed.T_T

Toukiden is dead.T_T, Puzzle and Dragon is just sad. From a million seller into not even a able to reach 100k.T_T

Idolmaster original idol is dead lol. Starlight Stage is the true path now.^_^

Sterok

So what lessons have we learned today? Hunting games still aren't transitioning to home consoles. Mobile to handheld games can't retain their audiences. Idols still make some money. Squids can only prop up an expensive console for so long. The newest hot kids property can fade away as fast as it blew up.

But on the bright side, Pokemon is still going strong (though XY not getting much of a boost compared to the rest of the world is slightly odd), and everyone seems to be jumping on the otome gravy train. Good for those fans.

KT seems to recognize they have issues, so they're trying to fix them while they're still stable financially. Don't know whether they'll succeed, but it's probably better than what Capcom ended up going through.

Oregano

Well, it's also the collaboration titles. They get big payments from publishers for that.

Hiring Koei Tecmo is more expensive than hiring a random independent studio that has to live contract to contract.

Fair enough but I've got to question if it's going to be worth it for license holders soon. The Nintendo/SE collars have done well but their anime licenses have had mixed performances.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That console/handheld gaming remains a wasteland in Japan but people will continue to act somewhat surprised/taken aback by results such as these?

While I think the path was drawn on the map, some people are surprised at the speed with which we're driving down it this year.

I'm continually bearish here, but I can't blame them for not expecting a major acceleration this year.

Fair enough but I've got to question if it's going to be worth it for license holders soon. The Nintendo/SE collars have done well but their anime licenses have had mixed performances.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the anime licenses are necessarily the collaborations they're talking about. The license holders still make it out great in this scenario while Koei Tecmo potentially loses money.

That's them paying in a big chunk of money to license something to help their game sell better as opposed to them being paid a big chunk of money and a royalty to make a game for someone else. Koei Tecmo earns money regardless of how the game does here, with the publisher taking the risk.

Now, making your own successful games is the most profitable, which is why they're trying to do that, but they're struggling there. Similarly they're trying to get into mobile to expand upon their successful social-browser audience. These are correct steps, but obviously at some point you want to execute successfully.

However, you can make a good living off of making games for others if they're interested, and they have some good revenue sources elsewhere (plus increasing digital revenue which is big profit revenue).

THE:MILKMAN

Don't have a link do you? It would amaze me if there is also a PS4 "slim". Sony have hardware coming out of their ears...

While I think the path was drawn on the map, some people are surprised at the speed with which we're driving down it this year.

I'm continually bearish here, but I can't blame them for not expecting a major acceleration this year.
Fair enough.

I guess I already reached the full acceptance stage so nothing catches me off guard. I look at titles that meet or exceed expectations as the notable exception more than anything else.

Kanann

I could be wrong, but I don't think the anime licenses are necessarily the collaborations they're talking about. The license holders still make it out great in this scenario while Koei Tecmo potentially loses money.

That's them paying in a big chunk of money to license something to help their game sell better as opposed to them being paid a big chunk of money and a royalty to make a game for someone else. Koei Tecmo earns money regardless of how the game does here, with the publisher taking the risk.

Now, making your own successful games is the most profitable, which is why they're trying to do that, but they're struggling there. Similarly they're trying to get into mobile to expand upon their successful social-browser audience. These are correct steps, but obviously at some point you want to execute successfully.

However, you can make a good living off of making games for others if they're interested, and they have some good revenue sources elsewhere (plus increasing digital revenue which is big profit revenue).

sound like what platinum games survival plan.....

Oregano

I think the fact that NX might actually be a handheld/hybrid is good news because it seemed like the 3DS was going to be dragged out even one month ago.

Yeah as I said earlier they could survive on Nintendo projects if push came to shove. There's obviously a bit more risk there though and they would probably have to streamline.

Also how many SE collars are there? DQ Heroes and Dissidia are the two off the top of my head.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sound like what platinum games survival plan.....

This is how a lot of independent studios survive, it's just that Koei Temco's setup is a lot closer to Respawn/Bungie/Gearbox where they have sweetheart deals with publishers who are actively interested in signing and keeping them while supporting and augmenting their vision instead of publishers who are trying to exert lots of control and lowball them as much as humanly possible.

I think the fact that NX might actually be a handheld/hybrid is good news because it seemed like the 3DS was going to be dragged out even one month ago.

Yeah as I said earlier they could survive on Nintendo projects if push came to shove. There's obviously a bit more risk there though and they would probably have to streamline.

Also how many SE collars are there? DQ Heroes and Dissidia are the two off the top of my head.

I think that's it for Square Enix, but Bandai Namco is also a big partner. They don't really have a shortage. Even Level-5 signed them for a Yo-Kai Watch game.

I already said a long time ago there's a good possibility that NX gets caught in the awkward middle ground between mobile and PS4. I could really see it having weak support.

No.

The segment also accounted for 78% of Koei Tecmo’s overall Operating Profit which shows how Koei’s focus on expanding their current IP, Collaborating with others, streamlining development through in house tools and focusing on digital has helped increase profit margins and overall profit for the company.

Vena

Don't have a link do you? It would amaze me if there is also a PS4 "slim". Sony have hardware coming out of their ears...

This is going to be a right mess if they have a Slim, a Neo, and a PSVR all hitting retail around one another. That's too many products competing for the spot-light with each other.

That said, they've kept the Slim hidden extremely well if this is the case because there's not been a word of it aside from one analyst's guess at its release. And we've a completely leaked PSNeo, the Xbox Slim leaked, and so on.

Oregano

This is how a lot of independent studios survive, it's just that Koei Temco's setup is a lot closer to Respawn/Bungie/Gearbox where they have sweetheart deals with publishers who are actively interested in signing and keeping them while supporting and augmenting their vision instead of publishers who are trying to exert lots of control and lowball them as much as humanly possible.

I think that's it for Square Enix, but Bandai Namco is also a big partner. They don't really have a shortage. Even Level-5 signed them for a Yo-Kai Watch game.

I totally forgot Yo-Kai Watch RotTK was actually developed by them.

I'm guessing they've done it thinking about western sales.
Which won't be that good either, if the performance of the first game is an indication.

I genuinely can't see western sales making up for the lost japanese sales let a lone lead to a better return.

I have to give it to Koei though, they have demonstrably shown why "turn Monster Hunter into an ultra high budget console game, japanese gamers will buy it anywhere and it will do gangbusters in the west" is just misguided wishful thinking.

Stefarno

Ouch for Toukiden.

I think trying to transition Toukiden towards the PS4 is a decent idea long-term - and 50k for PS4 is pretty good really in comparison to God Eater on PS4 - but killing the Vita sales to do so was.

Which won't be that good either, if the performance of the first game is an indication.

I genuinely can't see western sales making up for the lost japanese sales let a lone lead to a better return.

I have to give it to Koei though, they have demonstrably shown why "turn Monster Hunter into an ultra high budget console game, japanese gamers will buy it anywhere and it will do gangbusters in the west" is just misguided wishful thinking.
I don't think they have demonstrated anything like that. MH on console has potential to be successful on the name alone. Toukiden is just...Toukiden.

THE:MILKMAN

This is going to be a right mess if they have a Slim, a Neo, and a PSVR all hitting retail around one another. That's too many products competing for the spot-light with each other.

That said, they've kept the Slim hidden extremely well if this is the case because there's not been a word of it aside from one analyst's guess at its release. And we've a completely leaked PSNeo, the Xbox Slim leaked, and so on.

I agree. Though I guess if the APU is literally the only part changed over the CUH-1200 model (though the PSU would shrink, surely?) they could get away with a stealth launch like other revisions.

At this rate of hardware coming Sony would need a whole separate event just to go through everything....

Ōkami

Famitsu retail + digital

Best selling Microsoft published games in Japan
  1. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition: 225.732
  2. [360] Blue Dragon: 203k
  3. [360] Kinect Adventures!: 154k
  4. [360] Viva Piñata [All Versions] 113k
  5. [360] Lost Odyssey 109.517
Best selling third party games on Wii U
  2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 224.986
  3. Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version!: 181.289
  4. Pokken Tournament: 156.810 (Not a third party game, but not published by Nintendo either)
  5. Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online [All Versions]: 148.706
Minecraft in Japan:
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition: 1.081.559
[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition [PlayStation Store]: 355.000
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition: 313.531
[WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition: 225.732
[360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition: 24.394
[XB1] Minecraft: Xbox One Edition: 855

[ALL] Minecraft: 2.001.071

Nah, IMO it's no problem. Assuming there is a slim coming:

It isn't another product to compete for the spotlight, it's the replacement for PS4. It will be marketed as PS4, not PS4 slim and the focus will be on a new price and not the form factor.

Neo and PSVR releasing so close to each other could have been a problem but I do agree with some posters on these forums that PSVR being sold out for now probably lessens the hit. The question is once it's readily available everywhere next year it could conflict with Neo. For example I probably would have bought PSVR out of curiosity but with Neo being a thing I'd rather save my money for that thing and just wait out and see how VR manages next year.

As for marketing the machines I don't think Neo gets much focus at all. It's for the hardcore users and they know about it already. 299 PS slim is what they will push this holiday to reach that 20 mil target they had. Neo sells mostly to an audience they already have. PSVR is the only product I'm not confident about.

&#332;kami;212379224 said:
Famitsu retail + digital

Best selling Microsoft published games in Japan
  2. [360] Blue Dragon: 203k
  3. [360] Kinect Adventures!: 154k
  4. [360] Viva Piñata [All Versions] 113k
  5. [360] Lost Odyssey 109.517
Best selling third party games on Wii U
  2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 224.986
  3. Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version!: 181.289
  4. Pokken Tournament: 156.810 (Not a third party game, but not published by Nintendo either)
  5. Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online [All Versions]: 148.706
Minecraft in Japan:
[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition: 1.081.559
[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition [PlayStation Store]: 355.000
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition: 313.531
[WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition: 225.732
[360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition: 24.394
[XB1] Minecraft: Xbox One Edition: 855

[ALL] Minecraft: 2.001.071

Wow

Top Bottom