• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2016 (Jul 25 - Jul 31)

casiopao

It's not like they have infinite budget for everything. And I don't like the idea that when a big publisher publish a bad game, it's always the publisher's fault. Tri-Ace, Platinum and too many devs get more free pass than they deserve, while big publishers always get the blame.

Yes DQMJ3 is not very good, but they released DQB amd DQH2, both are great games. It's not like they are just killing off franchises and not doing anything else. This is how the industry works. You have hits and misses, and the end result shows that SE have more hits than misses, hence they are making money.

While i agree that the devs is also on the fault here, i don't think some of the game i listed there is the problem of the devs here. Especially on Bravely Second. The developer actually mentioned their small budget even after all their success in the west which is just idiot move by SE.

DQMJ3 series had always been a guaranteed million seller. Thanks to the bad word of mouth from many of the fans due to palette swap monsters, the sales fall down badly. Budget may be finite, but u sure should know where to dedicate here rather than goes cheap and end up killing the brand u had been cultivating for soo long.

And also, i don't agree that DQB is doing absolutely well there. As they failed to reach that Minecraft market which is the main purpose of this Builders game.

horuhe

Persona 5 has got great adverts at Sofmap. The 20th Anniversary Edition caught the attention of everyone.
rOsTldr.jpg

HvZzaZE.jpg

There were also other games showed... as Reco Love.

Splatoon Set, Mario Maker Set and Premium Set all available. It seems Nintendo is not having problems to deliver Wii U units during this summer. However, people seem to go for the Premium Set.

Other stores had Tales of Berseria and Gravity Rush 2.

Oregano

Honest question, in Japan, has a game ever failed, and then succeeded with a late port on a new system months later?

I think in this case it might not help as much either because families are not likely to be early adopters of new hardware.

Hopefully NX is unveiled soon though and the future of the JP market becomes a bit clearer.

Honest question, in Japan, has a game ever failed, and then succeeded with a late port on a new system months later?

Depends on what you call failing. If a game is unappealing, there's nothing to be done.

I don't think Stories will be a failure. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the game and I think it will do well enough on the 3DS but the active user base is getting smaller and smaller so it can't reach its full potential on the 3DS alone anymore.

Porting Resident Evil 4 to PS2 or Super Street Fighter IV to 3DS for example worked out very well for Capcom. Even porting Revelations 1 was well worth it.

DKHF

Isn't it just because high demand from new Persona or FF? lol

less shipment happen in Europe too IIRC
Possibly but I think Sony will do an Apple style Neo launch, announcing it in early September, then releasing it later in the month. I'm probably wrong though.

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 31, 2016 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

18./00. [PSV] Genkai Tokki: Seven Pirates <RPG> (Compile Heart)
24./00. [PSV] Genkai Tokki: Seven Pirates (Limited Edition) <RPG> (Compile Heart)

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 31 2016

09./00. [PSV] Genkai Tokki: Seven Pirates <RPG> (Compile Heart)

Wonder how this will end up doing. I'm seeing reports on Twitter saying it's sold out, but it doesn't look too good from COMG/Rakuten/Tsutaya.

Monster Monpiece - 24,978
Moero Chronicle - 32,957
Moero Crystal - 18,721

I'd expect it to at least do better than Moero Crystal, especially since they seem to have pumped more money into it this year.

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 31, 2016 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

26./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors: Ei Ketsu Den <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
30./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors: Ei Ketsu Den (Treasure Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 31 2016

11./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors: Ei Ketsu Den <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) [/b]
16./00. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors: Ei Ketsu Den <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
19./00. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Ei Ketsu Den <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)

Forgot about this. Utter bomba apparently.

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 31, 2016 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

19./36. [PSV] Collar x Malice <ADV> (Idea Factory)

Quite interested how this does now I know it's coming west :p

Ydelnae

The anime episode of Tales of Berseria aired yesterday and apparently it bombed on Niconico, fans didn't like it as much as Zestiria (lol). How are pre-orders looking for the game? I wonder if +200k first week sales is a possibility, Zestiria opened with 340k.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess my main question would be what people are expecting out of the initial version of Monster Hunter Stories.

My vision of what an NX port would sell is notably different depending on if people are thinking more along the lines of 100-200K or 300-500K.

Hellraider

The anime episode of Tales of Berseria aired yesterday and apparently it bombed on Niconico, fans didn't like it as much as Zestiria (lol). How are pre-orders looking for the game? I wonder if +200k first week sales is a possibility, Zestiria opened with 340k.

I really don't think it's possible for it to decline that much to open with less than 200k. A decline is pretty much certain, though.

L~A

I'm surprised Danganronpa didn't get a bump with two animes airing in Japan.

There already was a bump when the first one aired a couple of years ago.

Talking of the animes, I still don't get why they went with two animes at once, instead of spreading them over 2 seasons. Seems like a waste.

I think MH Stories should have targeted a more shonen anime look, so that there would be a bit more overlap with the normal MH crowd.

It looks like a great game, but I don't know if the kid/Pokemon/Yokai Watch audience will bite. We'll have to see if the anime will do well.
is MH Stories going to have a toy bracelet like YW/Pokemon/PADX? Seems absurd if they don't considering everybody else is trying to copy the concept.

Shizuka

There already was a bump when the first one aired a couple of years ago.

Talking of the animes, I still don't get why they went with two animes at once, instead of spreading them over 2 seasons. Seems like a waste.

They're intertwined, specially if you watch them as they're airing in Japan.

I'm expecting this to happen.

But the main problem, at least from I can see, for Sony in Japan is that if NX software sales blow up, a lot of Japanese games that don't benefit hugely from Western sales will shift to being NX only. And well, that's a lot of stuff coming out of Japanese developers. Wii U tried to get in on that Playstation family port train and got shoved out fairly quickly.

I'm just curious to see what Sony are going to do when NX is out and that system kills off the PS3, Vita, 3DS, XB1 and Wii U within 12 months. I don't think PS4 Slim or Neo will really kick all that many sales in the pants.

Ain't go to worry. Japanese third parties have actively shown they want the Western/Asian pie and PS4 is doing very well in those markets. WiiU was failing in both domestic and foreign markets.

Orgen

I guess my main question would be what people are expecting out of the initial version of Monster Hunter Stories.

My vision of what an NX port would sell is notably different depending on if people are thinking more along the lines of 100-200K or 300-500K.

Between 500.000 and 1 million... let's say 650-700K

Ain't go to worry. Japanese third parties have actively shown they want the Western/Asian pie and PS4 is doing very well in those markets. WiiU was failing in both domestic and foreign markets.

They did but they also shown domestic market comes first for every decisions they make.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Between 500.000 and 1 million... let's say 650-700K

If it does that well, I would expect an enhanced port to have success in the 100K+ region.

There's potential upside depending on how the system itself does and the demographics of the early adopters.

Vena

If it does that well, I would expect an enhanced port to have success in the 100K+ region.

There's potential upside depending on how the system itself does and the demographics of the early adopters.

If the Pokemon rumors are true, and if it has Minecraft day-and-date (which given the performance of it even on the WiiU after launching incredibly late shouldn't be too outlandish and expectation), I can see it making it way into the hands of the target demographic at a healthy clip early on even before the big hitters come out.

casiopao

Well, when u are continuing a series from a very badly received title, what do u guys hope?

Hellraider

If the Pokemon rumors are true, and if it has Minecraft day-and-date (which given the performance of it even on the WiiU after launching incredibly late shouldn't be too outlandish and expectation), I can see it making it way into the hands of the target demographic at a healthy clip early on even before the big hitters come out.

Did we learn nothing from the WiiU? A Minecraft port and a pokemon port (which if you ask me does not exist) aren't gonna affect the system's early on adoption.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine the broader point is that people usually don't pay out $300+ to play a game they already own.

The difference with cross-gen games at the launch of the PS4/XB1 is that they were out at basically the same time.

Vena

I'd guess he's substituting Dragon Quest & Monster Hunter for Minecraft & Pokemon in the whole "any reason WiiU *won't* dominate Japan" thing.

I imagine the broader point is that people usually don't pay out $300+ to play a game they already own.

Oh I am not saying its going to light the world ablaze, my statement was aimed at the idea that the presence of the products would help facilitate moving the audience. Not that, suddenly, a million people would pick-up and buy the the NX because of them.

Also I don't think whatever Pokemon game comes out is going to be a straight port of Sun&Moon.

gtj1092

They did but they also shown domestic market comes first for every decisions they make.

Really? Then why are so many games coming to PS4 despite its slow sales in Japan? Why would developers drop ps4 for NX and not just do both? Especially now that they are bringing more games to steam/pc.

Really? Then why are so many games coming to PS4 despite its slow sales in Japan? Why would developers drop ps4 for NX and not just do both? Especially now that they are bringing more games to steam/pc.
Right.

NX may get support the Wii U/3DS lacked. It wouldn't be taking from PS4 or vice versa. That sort of thing is proposed here from time to time and I find it to be nonsensical for several reasons.

don't put much stock on it. most of the negative ones are just because there's no alisha (lol) in that episode. i'm expecting the same when anime go back to zestiria and the bait & switch happened
i'm not saying there's no way berseria will open less than zestiria btw

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think there's an extent to which Japanese publishers are refocusing on the domestic market, but that doesn't favor the NX, it favors smartphones.

Just look at what Konami and Sega put out these days, and Capcom isn't far behind.

Oregano

I think there's an extent to which Japanese publishers are refocusing on the domestic market, but that doesn't favor the NX, it favors smartphones.

Just look at what Konami and Sega put out these days, and Capcom isn't far behind.

It could theoretically favor NX if Nintendo convinces publishers to publish on NX as well.

Well it wouldn't really be a positive but it would be less of a negative.

I disagree. Many pubs have shown favouritism to the foreign market. Apart from some clear handheld franchises (even then I expect MH PS4 to eventually happen), third parties are focusing on the PS4 for their traditional games.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Jul 2016 (Jun 27 - Jul 31)

01./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.07.16} (¥4.800) - 818.964 / NEW
02./00. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter / Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2016.07.28} (¥4.800) - 100.943 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.30} (¥8.200) - 78.485 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] The Idolm@ster: Platinum Stars # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.07.28} (¥8.200) - 74.490 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Toukiden 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.07.28} (¥6.800) - 64.169 / NEW

Top 5

3DS - 2
PS4 - 2
PSV - 1

SOFTWARE

Level 5 - 836.000
Nintendo - 367.000
Bandai Namco Games - 305.000

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Month | Last Month |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |    110.106 |     73.141 |    108.438 |    778.013 |  1.041.369 |  20.814.969 |
|  PS4  |    106.135 |     81.376 |     65.724 |    822.984 |    605.095 |   2.953.717 |
| PSV # |     55.834 |     47.430 |     53.628 |    588.842 |    550.830 |   4.971.259 |
|  WIU  |     39.819 |     16.584 |     49.012 |    258.034 |    322.076 |   3.201.621 |
|  PS3  |      4.027 |      3.284 |     10.246 |     36.977 |    144.783 |  10.243.718 |
|  XB1  |        314 |        210 |        611 |      3.486 |     10.945 |      67.537 |
|  ALL  |    316.235 |    222.025 |    287.659 |  2.488.336 |  2.675.098 |  42.252.821 |

I disagree. Many pubs have shown favouritism to the foreign market. Apart from some clear handheld franchises (even then I expect MH PS4 to eventually happen), third parties are focusing on the PS4 for their traditional games.

Which companies ?
I never said 3rd parties won't be focusing on the PS4. My point was that Domestic market is always the priority for them.

I wonder if V3 is still coming this year. How long is the anime gonna run, is there any chance it could culminate on V3 release?

I don't think that's likely. Firstly because it's not like DR3 is leading into V3 (or so we've been led to believe blah blah). Secondly, if I'm not mistaken, DR3 will be ending on the 15th of September which is even before TGS is over. I think it's pretty fair to have doubts that's a 2016 game, let alone releasing with the end of the anime.

Edit: Was completely wrong on the date that it's ending, is actually the 29th. Calendar I was using was complete shit lol how do you fuck up a calendar.

lol when did the Yokai Watch franchise collapse? Poor that. Dead before we even got a chance to compare it to a new Pokemon generation.

cheesekao

Well, when u are continuing a series from a very badly received title, what do u guys hope?
Actually, the previous episodes were pretty well received. The reason for the low rating is because they played the OP of the Zestiria game to pad out the episode and that made people angry or perhaps "triggered", unsurprisingly.

Square Enix
Capcom
TK
Konami (lol)

For traditional games, I don't think the domestic market is the biggest priority for them.

You have a point for Capcom. As for the rest... especially TK, they're all cathering to Japan first and foremost. Unless you consider Eidos for SE, but that'd be a different beast.

hiska-kun

It begins: Yokai Watch 3 ¥2,980 (+ tax) http://geo-online.co.jp/sale/

To be fair, this sale is just for Obon Week (Aug 10 - Aug 16). It's very typical to have sales during this season.
What it's not that normal is that a game that was just released last month goes already to this sale.
Obviously this sale is due to the huge shipment. 1.3 million units of YW3 are shipped, still 400k at shelves.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You have a point for Capcom. As for the rest... especially TK, they're all cathering to Japan first and foremost. Unless you consider Eidos for SE, but that'd be a different beast.

Capcom didn't discover America with PS4. Their flagship titles, with the exception of Monster Hunter, were always targeting west at first. Same with Konami and S-E.

Top Bottom