• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ratrat said:
They were at GEO. Used were 20k. So tempting. Also both stores I went to 3ds and ps3 were sold out.

Considering 3DS should have now much more shipment than PS3... interesting.
PS3 at 40k this week,guys?

Cygnus X-1

walking fiend said:
do we know if 3DS is actually selling at loss for each hardware? I believe his wording was that the profit has been very limited, which I believe may mean that it is not covering their r&d, etc, as much as they want.

Iwata stated 3DS is now selling at a loss who is larger than the loss they had while selling the first bulky DS. He also added that if sales would go up considerably (and stay there of course), costs would be significantly reduced. No additional informations though.

Anyway, considering that most of the profits for this FY were cut out, I suppose that it is not just some $ per handheld. We're probably talking about 20-30$ per console. But it's my supposition and there is no evidence. One should extrapolate the numbers from the Q1 report, but I'm too lazy to do this now.

test_account

XP-39C²
BKK said:
It was announced "with immediate effect", so it should happen in Japan today. I don't see it as being big enough to have a major effect on sales though, maybe 40k - 50k this week, with a baseline closer to 30k than 20k after. I think Neptune 2 is the only PS3 release this week, so I doubt that will push hardware sales, but maybe Neptune can benefit with increased sales from new owners.
True, but some stores in Europe seemed to have dropping the price before the announcement, so i was wondering if something similar had happen in Japan as well :) (unless those pricedrops some places in Europe was something outside the official pricedrop).

Ratrat said:
They were at GEO. Used were 20k. So tempting. Also both stores I went to 3ds and ps3 were sold out.
Thanks for the info :)

Cygnus X-1 said:
Iwata stated 3DS is now selling at a loss who is larger than the loss they had while selling the first bulky DS. He also added that if sales would go up considerably (and stay there of course), costs would be significantly reduced. No additional informations though.

Anyway, considering that most of the profits for this FY were cut out, I suppose that it is not just some $ per handheld. We're probably talking about 20-30$ per console. But it's my supposition and there is no evidence. One should extrapolate the numbers from the Q1 report, but I'm too lazy to do this now.

I am pretty sure his wording was that profitability has been cut more compared to that, no that loss has increased. Does anyone have the transcript?

---
And I predict 108K for 3DS this week (well, next week data)

test_account

XP-39C²
The only thing i've seen that Iwata says is that the 3DS may be sold at a loss. But i might have missed some later statements from him though.

test_account said:
The only thing i've seen that Iwata says is that the 3DS may be sold at a loss. But i might have missed some later statements from him though.
that is what I can infer as well, that is it may or may not sell at a loss, but it doesn't make much profit from hardware, unlike, say, apple or DS

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Iwata said:
On the other hand, a drastic markdown like this, before the mass-production effect can take place for the hardware, will naturally generate red ink on the hardware sales. As a result, a significant minus effect is expected on the profitability of the current fiscal year. Even though we understand this, for us to elevate Nintendo 3DS to be the platform that can sustain our business, we have concluded that we need to take the best possible measure we can take now, even at the cost of short-term profitability.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110729/index.html

This statement from Iwata confirms sharp drop in profits after price cut, not 3DS hardware loss.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 33, 2011 (Aug 08 - Aug 14)

01./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Felyne G | ETC | (Capcom) {2011.08.10} | ¥3.990 |
02./00. [3DS] Pokemon Rumble Blast | ACT | (Pokemon Co.) {2011.08.11} | ¥4.800 |
03./03. [WII] Rhythm Heaven | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.07.21} | ¥5.800 |
04./02. [NDS] Kirby Mass Attack | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.08.04} | ¥3.800 |
05./01. [PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7: Euro + | SPT | (Sega) {2011.08.04} | ¥6.279 |
06./04. [PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival | ACT | (Bandai Namco) {2011.08.04} | ¥5.229 |
07./00. [PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Repeat | ADV | (Broccoli) {2011.08.11} | ¥5.040 |
08./00. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} | ¥4.800 |
09./08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort | SPT | (Nintendo) {2009.06.25} | ¥4.800 |
10./05. [NDS] All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation | ACT | (Bandai Namco) {2011.08.04} | ¥5.040 |

pramath

Banned
So, I'd guess the 3DS to lead at 214k units, the PSP would be second with 35k units, the PS3 to be third with 19k units, the Wii would be fourth with 17k units, the DSi LL fifth at 4,800 units, the DSi sixth at 3,500 units, the PS2 seventh at 3k units, the Xbox 360 eighth at 1,800 units, the DS Lite ninth at 140 units, and the PSP Go charting 0 again.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Shiggy said:
Why would he say "generate red ink on hardware sales" then if they did not make a 3DS hardware loss?
gogogow said:
"will naturally generate red ink on the hardware sales"

Does that not mean 3DS hardware loss?
Red ink at hw profit. It doesn't speak for loss.

Road

pramath said:
So, I'd guess the 3DS to lead at 214k units, the PS3 to be second with 42k units, the PSP would be third with 35k units, the Wii would be fourth with 17k units, the DSi LL fifth at 4,800 units, the DSi sixth at 3,500 units, the PS2 seventh at 3k units, the Xbox 360 eighth at 1,800 units, the DS Lite ninth at 140 units, and the PSP Go charting 0 again.
Why would it be?

Ydahs

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu Sales: Week 33, 2011 (Aug 08 - Aug 14)

01./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Felyne G | ETC | (Capcom) {2011.08.10} | ¥3.990 |
02./00. [3DS] Pokemon Rumble Blast | ACT | (Pokemon Co.) {2011.08.11} | ¥4.800 |
03./03. [WII] Rhythm Heaven | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.07.21} | ¥5.800 |
04./02. [NDS] Kirby Mass Attack | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.08.04} | ¥3.800 |
05./01. [PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7: Euro + | SPT | (Sega) {2011.08.04} | ¥6.279 |
06./04. [PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival | ACT | (Bandai Namco) {2011.08.04} | ¥5.229 |
07./00. [PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Repeat | ADV | (Broccoli) {2011.08.11} | ¥5.040 |
08./00. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} | ¥4.800 |
09./08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort | SPT | (Nintendo) {2009.06.25} | ¥4.800 |
10./05. [NDS] All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation | ACT | (Bandai Namco) {2011.08.04} | ¥5.040 |
Going off last week's sales, Zelda should be around 20K. Very good boost.

Wonder how many 3DS titles are in the top 20.

gogogow

Chris1964 said:
My interpretation is that Nintendo is losing money (red ink on HW) on every 3DS sold thus having a less profitable fiscal year. Still profitable thanks to 3DS/DS/Wii SW and DS/Wii HW sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ydahs said:
Going off last week's sales, Zelda should be around 20K. Very good boost.

Wonder how many 3DS titles are in the top 20.

Even more, because Resort was at 18k last week, and it has probably risen last week due to Obon.
25k for Zelda are possible

Alrus

pramath said:
So, I'd guess the 3DS to lead at 214k units, the PS3 to be second with 42k units, the PSP would be third with 35k units, the Wii would be fourth with 17k units, the DSi LL fifth at 4,800 units, the DSi sixth at 3,500 units, the PS2 seventh at 3k units, the Xbox 360 eighth at 1,800 units, the DS Lite ninth at 140 units, and the PSP Go charting 0 again.

Why would the ps3 get such a boost for last week? Price drop hadn't taken place yet.

pramath

Banned
Road said:
Why would it be?
Oh no, I messed up.
42k was the original prediction I made for the 3DS, I somehow goofed up bad. In my defens, I'm sleepy :p

I'll edit that out and put the PS3 in its proper place :p

wrowa

I'm a little bit surprised to see only two 3DS games in the top ten. Doesn't seem like the new 3DS owners actually bought much software together with the handheld.

Chris1964 said:
"Red ink" is normally used as an euphemism for "loss".

Erethian

wrowa said:
I'm a little bit surprised to see only two 3DS games in the top ten. Doesn't seem like the new 3DS owners actually bought much software together with the handheld.
If you were going to buy back catalog games after getting a new 3DS, it'd be cheaper to get them used.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Original Japanese text doesn't include the word "red ink". It says "hw losses" so you are probably right and I'm wrong.

Road

pramath said:
Oh no, I messed up.
42k was the original prediction I made for the 3DS, I somehow goofed up bad. In my defens, I'm sleepy :p

I'll edit that out and put the PS3 in its proper place :p
It happens. (I would know.)

When the numbers come out, the PS3 may even be lower than Wii.

Road said:
It happens. (I would know.)

When the numbers come out, the PS3 may even be lower than Wii.

Yes, Rhythm Heaven looks to have held up again this week so I wouldn't be surprised if Wii > PS3 this week, but then next week is price cut week so we could see 60k.

3DS had a very good week. The most impressive result is Pokémon, I would have expected around 60k.
Great legs for Rhythm Heaven, I hope it will be the next Wii million seller!
Epic Mickey holds great as well!

Ratrat said:
dsi and dsill did better than I expected. Yeah, I just cannot fathom why anyone would buy those...
DSi, good question. DSiLL with its massive screens, there's still going to be some appeal that 3DS can't match with its DS-playing options of "smaller and blurry" or "even smaller and not blurry".

Top Bottom