• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

saichi

BurntPork said:
Ah. Good point. Still, 16 million is impossible. I'd say 12 million if the price cut and Mario Kart 7 get sales going, and 6-8 million if they don't. Just guesses, nothing more.

6-8 millions for the fiscal year? I think they might hit it even without releasing MK 7 and 3D Mario. that's a really low ceiling you set there.

BurntPork

Banned
saichi said:
6-8 millions for the fiscal year? I think they might hit it even without releasing MK 7 and 3D Mario. that's a really low ceiling you set there.
They got 0.71 million last quarter. And I said if sales don't recover.

It's amazing how well PSP sells in Japan compared to how dead it is in NA/EU. Sigh.

I still love my PSP!

Beam said:
I am expecting between 225k and 250k 3DS sold next week. PS2 is outselling the 360. I guess the Japanese really hate the 360.

Now that THE IDOLM@STER 2 has been announced for PS3, there is literally no reason for anyone in Japan to buy a 360 anymore.

BurntPork

Banned
saichi said:
they got a price cut as well as holiday seasons.
It's 6-8 million if the price cut fails to improve sales significantly. That's very unlikely, but it's possible. $170 is still slightly above the mass-market price for handhelds in the US.

Instro

Unknown Soldier said:
Now that THE IDOLM@STER 2 has been announced for PS3, there is literally no reason for anyone in Japan to buy a 360 anymore.
I can't wait for the neck and neck race between the 360 and the PSPGo.

AceBandage said:
It's a $250 handheld releasing outside of the holiday season with no multimillion selling franchise exclusive at launch....

No, no it's not going to sell out at launch unless Sony ships an incredibly low number.

Uncharted is a multmillion selling exclusive.

EDIT: And so is Hot Shots Golf.

BurntPork said:
and I said if sales don't

Aww BP even if I find you a wee bit crazy at times, I do love you.

Technically what you say, is yes, factually accurate, if sales don't increase they are going to not make that number.

However, how in the world would sales not increase? Look at the ds numbers for America alone last year then apply a percentage cut based on how it is done this year, and even then it goes over your estimate. You think that many crazy folks are going to get a DSI instead of 3ds?

Sammy Samusu said:
Famitsu would have reported big first day sales.

It's vacation time, if there was any news-making on the numbers it would come out today.

Unknown Soldier said:

YOU take that back now MISTER! Don't you be talking bad about stien's gate Darlin!

Silly analysis of what happened with monster hunter villageG;

1. Stores "How in the world could this concept sell? I'm not going to order this"
2. Customers "THERE IS special bonus I can use in MHP3 BUYING NOW"
Massive sale out, no stores have enough stock
3. Stores "woops, not going to let that happen again.
4. Stores order massive amounts based on last time's bitter experience
5. Customers "minor update to a non-multiplayer emphasized game, with no MHP3 extras? Okay, no thank you!, "
6. Tragedy (even at my local suburb store that is still selling ridge racer 3d used for 2900 yen MHVG is down to 2500 yen)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
YOU take that back now MISTER! don't you be talking bad about stien's gate Darlin!

Chaos;Head (5bp, developer of Stein's;gate) is going to the PS3 too so...

ULTROS! said:
Chaos;Head (5bp, developer of Stein's;gate) is going to the PS3 too so...

Yes, but is darlin going with them?

To be serious, I'm planning on making a thread on this later, but there is 5 interesting(well if you like graphic adventures) Japanese exclusive 360 games coming out this winter season.

klee123 said:
Lol, you think 5pb isn't thinking about porting that to the PS3 as we speak?

PSP / Iphone would be more likely, and I just base my assumption on the fact that Chu-Chu Fan disk never got a port to anywhere. (although 5PB and thier crazy new 7 Platform Axis strategy it wouldn't surprise me in the least)

enishi

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Technically what you say, is yes, factually accurate, if sales don't increase they are going to not make that number.

However, how in the world would sales not increase? Look at the ds numbers for America alone last year then apply a percentage cut based on how it is done this year, and even then it goes over your estimate. You think that many crazy folks are going to get a DSI instead of 3ds?

It's vacation time, if there was any news-making on the numbers it would come out today.

YOU take that back now MISTER! Don't you be talking bad about stien's gate Darlin!

Silly analysis of what happened with monster hunter villageG;

1. Stores "How in the world could this concept sell? I'm not going to order this"
2. Customers "THERE IS special bonus I can use in MHP3 BUYING NOW"
Massive sale out, no stores have enough stock
3. Stores "woops, not going to let that happen again.
4. Stores order massive amounts based on last time's bitter experience
5. Customers "minor update to a non-multiplayer emphasized game, with no MHP3 extras? Okay, no thank you!, "
6. Tragedy (even at my local suburb store that is still selling ridge racer 3d used for 2900 yen MHVG is down to 2500 yen)
The holiday is till 15th, so it is still holiday in Japan today.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The 360 is only down to the Cave shmups.

BKK

Even if 360 lost all Japanese exclusives it will still have western ones like Gears and Halo, so there will still be a reason for some people to buy a 360, but it does seem to be getting towards the end of it's life as far as hardware sales are concerned.

BKK said:
Even if 360 lost all Japanese exclusives it will still have western ones like Gears and Halo, so there will still be a reason for some people to buy a 360, but it does seem to be getting towards the end of it's life as far as hardware sales are concerned.

If we are seriously talking about 360's strategy in Japan right now: it appears to be entirely focused on brand-building of Kinect, running around with their Kinect "caravanw"(Star Wars playable) to many of the larger summer festivals, holding tons of different press events on Kinect. Takashi Sensui even gave a ludicrous pie in the sky he wants to sell a million Kinects in Japan, Kinect is the push this year.

In what I assume is an appeal to the family market with Kinect, companies like alchemist have actually reported them getting stricter with their rules of what is allowed/isn't on the platform.

Rolf NB

I've said it before. If you're greenlighting an Xbox exclusive for the Japanese market now, you're an idiot. No amount of audience fostering can justify it. It's irrelevant what game you're making, or what games you've made before: going multiplat, or even PS3 exclusive, will double your sales at the very least.

Rolf NB said:
I've said it before. If you're greenlighting an Xbox exclusive for the Japanese market now, you're an idiot. No amount of audience fostering can justify it. It's irrelevant what game you're making, or what games you've made before: going multiplat, or even PS3 exclusive, will double your sales at the very least.

It's a whole lot easier to get a game in on the 360 then it is the PS3. (which I think shows why we are seeing a whole lot of 360/PSP dual releases)

BKK

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
If we are seriously talking about 360's strategy in Japan right now: it appears to be entirely focused on brand-building of Kinect, running around with their Kinect "caravanw"(Star Wars playable) to many of the larger summer festivals, holding tons of different press events on Kinect. Takashi Sensui even gave a ludicrous pie in the sky he wants to sell a million Kinects in Japan, Kinect is the push this year.

In what I assume is an appeal to the family market with Kinect, companies like alchemist have actually reported them getting stricter with their rules of what is allowed/isn't on the platform.

Yeah, good luck to them with that. They should be doing the opposite, loosen the rules and corner the hardcore hentai market, 360 hardware sales would skyrocket!

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
PSP / Iphone would be more likely, and I just base my assumption on the fact that Chu-Chu Fan disk never got a port to anywhere. (although 5PB and thier crazy new 7 Platform Axis strategy it wouldn't surprise me in the least)
What's that strategy?

I think 5pb, Cave, Alchemist, Kadokawa, Prototype, Cyberfront, G.rev, Milestone, Chunsoft, Treasure, Qute and the rest of the adv/shmup makers focusing ob iOS could be really bright for their futures. The platform works incredibly well for both genres and it gives them a clear road to worldwide growth.

BurntPork

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

The casual audience might still it's a revision. DSi buyers might not want to pay $20 "just for 3D," while DSi XL buyers are buying it for the huge screens and may see the XL as better. Really, NoA pussied-out with the price, imo. They should have gone all the way with it and went down to $150 and discontinued the DSi. It'll probably still sell great, but I really feel that if they were going to go this far that they should have gone all-out.

BKK

lunchwithyuzo said:
What's that strategy?

I think 5pb, Cave, Alchemist, Kadokawa, Prototype, Cyberfront, G.rev, Milestone, Chunsoft, Treasure, Qute and the rest of the adv/shmup makers focusing ob iOS could be really bright for their futures. The platform works incredibly well for both genres and it gives them a clear road to worldwide growth.

Shmups deserve to played on the big screen with an arcade stick, iOS can never be a substitute for a home console version.

Maybe Microsoft should consider waiving their fee for Japanese exclusives.

lunchwithyuzo said:
What's that strategy?

At least 5pb and Cave are on the iOS bandwagon. I believe Chunsoft has done some iOS releases too, though none of their major games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Yes, if the numbers are big, Famitsu will share them in 2-3 hours.
As happened with NSMB Wii, FFXIII and PS3 bump, PS3 Slim, etc.
...or at least... this is what I hope :p

Mpl90

enishi said:
The holiday is till 15th, so it is still holiday in Japan today.

Eh, this should also be right... let's see if they will release them however.
About Cave and 5pb. support to 360.
I think the only support now 360 can have from them are multiplatform games with PS3.
And maybe we are starting seeing it now with things such as Robotics; Head

Mpl90 said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

What does Sinobi say, here?

Google translate until something better turns up

Bon middle of a sales season, 3DS body was stronger than expected price cut.
The new color "red flare" which works well in all colors led,
in the soft, "Zelda," "One Piece" "Fox" and has been upward.
Instead be called a killer and there is no
impression that it is evenly throughout the uplift seems to have raised voices from the distribution of relief. DS has been resolved in short supply, "Pokemon typing" and 3DS "Pokemon Super Scramble" and is also showing signs of strong original DS, the recipient of the replacement demand for DSL in many of the parents was not a candidate 3DS

Mandoric

Banned
Mpl90 said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

What does Sinobi say, here?

That Howl's Moving Castle and Earthsea are getting blurays, and this fall's HidaSketch special is due out November 23rd?

Oh, and that the 3DS and especially the red one are now beating expectations and doing well in the Bon shopping season, with no particular killer app but Zelda, One Piece, and Star Fox all doing well. Sales of Pokemon Typing and Pokemon Scramble have picked up following restocks and family users now appear to be trading up to the 3DS.

Mpl90

velvet_nitemare said:
Google translate until something better turns up

The fact is that I already used GT.
But, you know... Google Translation! XD
So, apart from 3DS games and RH, what games do you think will rise?
I was thinking about Taiko PSP, Pawapuro and Inazuma.
Other candidates for a bit of Obon effect?

Mpl90

Mandoric said:
That Howl's Moving Castle and Earthsea are getting blurays, and this fall's HidaSketch special is due out November 23rd?

Oh, and that the 3DS and especially the red one are now beating expectations and doing well in the Bon shopping season, with no particular killer app but Zelda, One Piece, and Star Fox all doing well. Sales of Pokemon Typing and Pokemon Scramble have picked up following restocks and family users now appear to be trading up to the 3DS.

Wow, I still have to see Howl... now that I think about it...
However, it would be great if we knew Sinobi's expectations... maybe, they forecasted only 50k!

Gaspode_T

Who is this Sinobi person? The article doesn't say anything about games at all, it's just a post about movies being released on Bluray...

They seem to be posting about 3DS sales post-price drop in a post below that one, but I have no idea who the heck this person is or what sort of authority they have? Sticking a place like andriasang.com is a better bet if you want to stay on top of reliable news.

Gaspode_T said:
Who is this Sinobi person? The article doesn't say anything about games at all, it's just a post about movies being released on Bluray...

They seem to be posting about 3DS sales post-price drop in a post below that one, but I have no idea who the heck this person is or what sort of authority they have? Sticking a place like andriasang.com is a better bet if you want to stay on top of reliable news.
Sinobi is a well known credible source.

Mandoric said:

Good signs! Let's hope that it's a sustained increase and not just a temporary bump.

Cygnus X-1

pharmboy044 said:
Wow that google translate is total gibberish.

Interesting is that it seems there are shortages. That's surprising and probably an artificial move from Nintendo to increase the hype.

Edit: oh, wait....

Erethian

Yeah Sinobi is a reputable retailer blog that used to provide all sorts of Famitsu/Enterbrain sales data, specifically first day sales.

Gaspode_T

All it looks like is a page set up to get Amazon.co.jp referral money to me, there are literally about a dozen pages that look almost exactly like this one so I had a hard time seeing something so special about it.

Many of these pages simply take info from 2ch.net and copy/paste it to the blog, that's why I'm suspicious. Probably the guy really does work in retail somewhere...

The one I personally like is http://blog.esuteru.com/ if you just want to stay up to date on late breaking stories (they also post on twitter as @htmk73 I think)

There is another one Tai on Twitter who owns a game shop that sells a lot of foreign games. http://twitter.com/#!/GSOTAI

onipex

BurntPork said:
I did mean worldwide. They shipped 710k worldwide last quarter.

Noooooo. You're either messing with me or I'm not understanding you. Your really can't be suggesting that they will not reach 5 million world wide, because they shipped 710k last quarter? The total shipment is already about 4.3 million. They can ship 350k- 500k per quarter at this point and reach 5 million. They should hit 5 million ww in the first 30 days of the price drop unless the market just really doesn't care.

Edit:

Yeshua said:
He is talking about shipment during the current fiscal year not the total shipment.

Thanks I completely missed that.

Top Bottom