• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2013 (Jul 29 - Aug 04)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Falling from 18 to 1 million seller is more than market change, lol.

How so? PS3 still had FF, still had Musou, still had Pro Evo, still had Hot Shots, still had GT but none of those sold anything like they did on the PS2.

It was missing DQ and KH and Onimusha got Capcom'd but what else would you say it was other than the market changing and generally shifting away from consoles?

Even Sony realizes this. The way the PS4 has been marketed and the audience it has been targeted at out of the gate doesn't include Japan.

duckroll

Oh I certainly think the PS3 had a lot to do with the failure of consoles in Japan. The reality is that third parties were never going to flock to Nintendo's console no matter what, because there have been too many generations of poor relations on the console front. MS was a non-starter in Japan. So the only hope of having a big and powerful third party console platform in Japan was entirely on the PS3's shoulders. By failing on many levels, Sony effectively helped destroy the hopes of that in Japan, and it didn't help that many developers were struggling on the hardware. There was a huge market change which saw gamers move away from consoles in Japan this generation, and I think a lot of that is due to how Sony dropped the ball on the PS3.

test_account

XP-39C²
you are mixing thing up. Mobile games is not equal to digital download sales.
I'm not mixing it up. I know that the amount of money posted earlier isnt about digital download of retail games, and those "lol @ digital sales in Japan" comments might have been for the most part aimed towards digital versions of retail games indeed. However, my point was that it shows how much money Japan is willing to spend on digital download stuff, and that they've embraced it a lot (hence how much money they spent on it). Its not irrelevant as it was belived (and maybe it was to some extend though to be fair) only some years ago, especially seeing that they spent more money in Japan on downloaded games than physical games in 2012.

On the retail side of gaming, we have some examples like Animal Crossing selling like 700k or something copies of the download version. I wouldnt be surprised to see several hundred thousand download version sales for Monster Hunter 4 either. Mobile games only excist as digital downloads as well :) (but i know that you're only referring to download versions of games that also excist as retail version as well).

EDIT: I fixed a typo.

Nibel

Mhm, makes sense. Thanks!

Wonder how they will play their cards with the PS4 - we don't know their launch lineup for Japan yet. But man, the shift to handheld and mobile systems seems so strong that I wonder how many people from the PS3 userbase will jump on board

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The problem with the PS3 is that it had very few big hitters compared to the PS1/PS2.

PS2 top 20

Code:
1 	Dragon Quest VIII 	3,538,860
2 	Final Fantasy X 	2,323,463
3 	Final Fantasy XII 	2,322,329
4 	Final Fantasy X-2 	1,960,937
5 	Dragon Quest V 	1,611,974
6 	Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec 	1,437,581
7 	Dynasty Warriors 4 	1,197,349
8 	Kingdom Hearts II 	1,129,196
9 	World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 	1,115,707
10 	World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 	1,085,082
11 	Hot Shots Golf 4 	1,083,079
12 	Gran Turismo 4 	1,066,749
13 	World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 	1,059,585
14 	World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 	1,050,236
15 	Abarenbo Princess 	1,037,103
16 	Dynasty Warriors 3 	1,030,473
17 	Samurai Warriors 	1,024,253
18 	Onimusha 2 	1,002,968
19 	Jissen Pachislot secrets! Fist of the North Star 	962,768
20 	Onimusha 	927,534

PS3 top 20

Code:
1 	Final Fantasy XIII 	1,904,313
2 	Final Fantasy XIII-2 	860,514
3 	One Piece: Pirate Warriors 	825,860
4 	Resident Evil 6 	821,053
5 	Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 	706,461
6 	Tales of Xillia 	632,151
7 	Gran Turismo 5 	595,881
8 	Yakuza 5 	557,788
9 	Yakuza 4: Heir to the Legend 	557,771
10 	Hokuto no Ken Musou 	553,229
11 	Resident Evil 5 	520,564
12 	Yakuza 3 	509,223
13 	World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 	479,473
14 	Dynasty Warriors 7 	474,238
15 	Dragon's Dogma 	468,108
16 	Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. 	465,976
17 	World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 	443,008
18 	World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 	438,552
19 	Yakuza: Of the End 	413,172
20 	Hot Shots Golf 5 	409,840

~20 games managed to hit 1m on the PS2 but only one PS3 game did over 1m so far.
There's no denying the landscape changed thanks to many factors (which includes the PS3 dropping the ball), but seeing this chart also confirms a few things: SE was responsible for a chunk of those PS2 millions sellers, and some of the company's IPs has been in decline or switched to handheld/mobile. And then you have Winning Eleven, an IP that has lost a significant amount of its appeal and market-share WW to Fifa.

For some reason I was expecting an entirely different million-seller chart for the PS2, in both number and variety. Then again, I've only started tracking sales this gen.

Into

Ive never been more interested in seeing sales for a console, than i am for PS4 in Japan.

Its either a confirmation of our worst fears or some sort of resurgence

On one hand, yes the market has somewhat moved over to phones and tablets, on the other hand Sony will have a much better launch with a much more competitive price (PS3 was a disaster), they will also have some integration with smartphones, Gaikai stuff later on and a much snappier and faster system. It also creates a very unique situation for Sony, they will be the only "next gen" (tech wise, Wii U is obviously next gen) console that is relevant in Japan, Xbox One will crater and PC is irrelevant.

The most boring parts of all these PS4 presentations has been the social stuff, but perhaps that could be the key to Japan, amongst all the other things that they are doing, much of which we do not even know of yet and there are still games to be released.

Perhaps its not the software that will dictate the success or lack thereof for the PS4, perhaps it will be the features and ways people interact with the console that will be determining that. Either Sony are wasting their time talking about Gaikai, streaming features, social aspects etc etc. or they are actually on to something, the enthusiast gamer mostly sits there and groans about these things, but who knows what kind of appeal it will have for the mainstream out there

If the console does not do well, i expect a lot of "consoles are officially dead in Japan" articles for years to come.

If the console does not do well, i expect a lot of "consoles are officially dead in Japan" articles for years to come.

Well with Wii U < GC and PS4 flopping then yes consoles would be officially dead in Japan.

Sez

There's no denying the landscape changed thanks to many factors (which includes the PS3 dropping the ball), but seeing this chart also confirms a few things: SE was responsible for a chunk of those PS2 millions sellers, and some of the company's IPs has been in decline or switched to handheld/mobile. And then you have Winning Eleven, an IP that has lost a significant amount of its appeal and market-share WW to Fifa.

For some reason I was expecting an entirely different million-seller chart for the PS2, in both number and variety. Then again, I've only started tracking sales this gen.

The PS2 vs PS3 comparison is not fair.

Can anyone compare the top sellers of PS2 & GC (combined) vs PS3 & Wii (combined too)?

saichi

I'm not mixing it up. I know that the amount of money posted earlier isnt about digital download of retail games, and those "lol @ digital sales in Japan" comments might have been for the most part aimed towards digital versions of retail games indeed. However, my point was that it shows how much money Japan is willing to spend on digital download stuff, and that they've embraced it a lot (hence how much money they spent on it). Its not irelevant as it was belived (and maybe it was to some extend though to be fair) only some years ago, especially seeing that they spent more money in Japan on downloaded games than physical games in 2012.

On the retail side of gaming, we have some examples like Animal Crossing selling like 700k or something copies of the download version. I wouldnt be surprised to see several hundred thousand download version sales for Monster Hunter 4 either. Mobile games only excist as digital downloads as well :) (but i know that you're only referring to download versions of games that also excist as retail version as well).

Japan has been embracing mobile gaming for a long time. Most of the money from mobile now are micro transactions and it's completely different from digital download of full games. You can not use this as an example for digital download being relevant or not.

guek

Banned
Ive never been more interested in seeing sales for a console, than i am for PS4 in Japan.

Its either a confirmation of our worst fears or some sort of resurgence

On one hand, yes the market has somewhat moved over to phones and tablets, on the other hand Sony will have a much better launch with a much more competitive price (PS3 was a disaster), they will also have some integration with smartphones, Gaikai stuff later on and a much snappier and faster system. It also creates a very unique situation for Sony, they will be the only "next gen" (tech wise, Wii U is obviously next gen) console that is relevant in Japan, Xbox One will crater and PC is irrelevant.

The most boring parts of all these PS4 presentations has been the social stuff, but perhaps that could be the key to Japan, amongst all the other things that they are doing, much of which we do not even know of yet and there are still games to be released.

Perhaps its not the software that will dictate the success or lack thereof for the PS4, perhaps it will be the features and ways people interact with the console that will be determining that. Either Sony are wasting their time talking about Gaikai, streaming features, social aspects etc etc. or they are actually on to something, the enthusiast gamer mostly sits there and groans about these things, but who knows what kind of appeal it will have for the mainstream out there

I feel the same way. Though unless Sony has some big surprise launch titles at Gamescom, I can't foresee a future where PS4 doesn't come in at least a bit soft for the first few months in Japan. Or maybe their marketing will just be that damn good, who knows.

test_account

XP-39C²
Japan has been embracing mobile gaming for a long time. Most of the money from mobile now are micro transactions and it's completely different from digital download of full games. You can not use this as an example for digital download being relevant or not.
In the part that you bolded, there i'm talking about digital games in general (any gaming related stuff that is being purchased through download). I'm not saying that the amount of money posted earlier counts for retail digital download versions nor that it is any indication of that (because that number is for mobile gaming only), i'm only saying that digital games is huge in Japan when it comes to total revenue, and i think this shows that people are willing to spend a lot of money on gaming eventhough that they dont get any physical copy.

I was also under the impression that the "lol @ digital sales in Japan" comments were sometimes refering to the digital market in general, not just digital version of retail games, that is why i mentioned it in my first post. Sorry if i didnt make that clear earlier. We have also seen some big digital download sales (Animal Crossing in particular), which i also think shows that many people are willing to pay for games without getting a physical copy. To me, the digital market as a whole seems to be quite relevant in Japan today, compared to a few years ago when it seemed to be hardly anything to concider.

EDIT: What was the total revenue for mobile gaming in Japan in 2008 and 2009 etc.? Is there any numbers for this?

StayDead

My gosh at Yakuza HD's numbers...

It's hardly surprising. It's a HD re-release that was already released on PS3 quite a while back so anyone who wanted it would most likely have it already.

I personally imported a copy as I don't own a PS3, but whatever :p

Nintendo would do good to take this outside of Japan as the HD collection was never released in Europe or America right?

Glass Rebel

Just looking around on David Gibson's Twitter and I found something that could be interesting.

After MGS3D Vita is the only mobile platform I want KojiPro to work on. Unless it's something like AC!D. An announcement this late makes it sound like it's on smartphones though.

Glass Rebel

That sentiment really surprises me. It's one that I vehemently agree with, but not one I often see echoed.

And I don't even own a Vita (yet)!

Honestly though, as opposed to Monster Hunter, which still works extremely well on 3DS and runs at a great framerate, MGS3D was such a shoddy job, it makes me think that either Konami or KojiPro aren't interested in the platform.

It probably also doesn't need the huge userbase of the 3DS.

And I don't even own a Vita (yet)!

Honestly though, as opposed to Monster Hunter, which still works extremely well on 3DS and runs at a great framerate, MGS3D was such a shoddy job, it makes me think that either Konami or KojiPro aren't interested in the platform.

It probably also doesn't need the huge userbase of the 3DS.

I honestly don't think MGS3D was a shoddy job, just the job that was possible on the 3DS with the time given. I'm giving the benefit of doubt to Hexadrive when it comes to ports. Not only did they have to port a very demanding PS2 game but also make it 3D. I know RE: Revelaitions is much more impressive, but MT Framework is also probably much more scalable than the MGS3 engine,

Nibel

After MGS3D Vita is the only mobile platform I want KojiPro to work on. Unless it's something like AC!D. An announcement this late makes it sound like it's on smartphones though.

I had a blast with Peace Walker on Vita and if they do something like that - I'm fucking in

Kid Ying

Yeah. If we see the numbers today ( even on famitsu top 30), it would actually surpass every expectation here on this forum for this game.

Glass Rebel

I honestly don't think MGS3D was a shoddy job, just the job that was possible on the 3DS with the time given. I'm giving the benefit of doubt to Hexadrive when it comes to ports. Not only did they have to port a very demanding PS2 game but also make it 3D. I know RE: Revelaitions is much more impressive, but MT Framework is also probably much more scalable than the MGS3 engine,

It was a pretty ill-conceived product to begin with but nobody could have guessed that with the way Naked Sample at E3 looked. Should have gone with Sons of Liberty instead.

Yeah. If we see the numbers today ( even on famitsu top 30), it would actually surpass every expectation here on this forum for this game.

was the game even advertised or have any marketing? Other the the initial announcement I dont remember hearing anything else about it. Hell, I didnt even realize it came out.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm pretty sure most people are gonna react like that when they see the numbers.
So this is a "when" and not an "if"? Because if we can see the numbers, they can't be as bad as I am expecting (I'm expecting a debut outside of even the top 50) :D.

Top Bottom