• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2016 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Vena

However, rather conveniently, the full combined force of Capcom, Koei-Tecmo, Sega-Atlus, Namco Bandai, and Square-Enix will be on display on PS4 between now and the NX's launch, so we can see just how much these companies move hardware in 2016. Konami already contributed what they could, so that's baked in to the sales trajectory.

Well, we could also just look at how much they've failed so far and, I have to ask, do some of them even have anything left to offer? With Berseria out and its release having... no affect, what else do they have with much of any sway? Does KT have anything left? Nioh? But that feels like a title for the west and even then its targeting a pre-existing audience*.

Capcom completely crashed with their largest IP so far, but maybe we will see good things with RE7.

For SE, they initially had some successes with the DQ spin-offs but that's since largely petered out. World of FF is so low on the radar, it seems, that it has tunneled underground at this point.

All that's left is really Persona/Atlus, an event that happens once every decade, and FFXV, a game that is tracking right along with Lightning's Return to Clock Town (also I still don't think its smart to have this release anywhere near Pokemon). The Slim will do a lot, I imagine, as we've seen that price-cuts have *some* affect. Though if I missed any real big titles/tentpoles, let me know. I could very easily have forgotten some huge release other than those I mentioned.

*This is generally the problem I see with all of this. This is all the same sets of audiences and everything is converging on the same core. This is why Splatoon exploded as it did and did more on its own than, seemingly, the entire-at-the-time Japanese industry, it targeted an audience that hadn't been represented and catered to with much of anything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, we could also just look at how much they've failed so far and, I have to ask, do some of them even have anything left to offer? With Berseria out and its release having... no affect, what else do they have with much of any sway? Does KT have anything left? Nioh? But that feels like a title for the west and even then its targeting a pre-existing audience*.

Capcom completely crashed with their largest IP so far, but maybe we will see good things with RE7.

All that's left is really Persona/Atlus, an event that happens once every decade, and FFXV, a game that is tracking right along with Lightning's Return to Clock Town (also I still don't think its smart to have this release anywhere near Pokemon). The Slim will do a lot, I imagine, as we've seen that price-cuts have *some* affect. Though if I missed any real big titles/tentpoles, let me know. I could very easily have forgotten some huge release other than those I mentioned.

*This is generally the problem I see with all of this. This is all the same sets of audiences and everything is converging on the same core. This is why Splatoon exploded as it did and did more on its own than, seemingly, the entire-at-the-time Japanese industry, it targeted an audience that hadn't been represented and catered to with much of anything.
You have correctly identified this as a rhetorical statement. ^_^

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Basically I'm expecting a modest uptick between the Slim and the various games coming out, but that it won't change things for the long term.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

01./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
02./04. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
03./01. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
04./00. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore)
05./02. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
06./06. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
07./00. [PS4] No Man's Sky <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
08./00. [PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom)
09./11. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
10./00. [PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom)
11./09. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
12./12. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
13./14. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
14./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./00. [PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD <ACT> (Sega)
16./17. [WiiU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
17./13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
18./23. [WiiU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
19./18. [PSV] Toukiden 2 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
20./16. [3DS] Pokémon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
21./00. [PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle <FTG> (Planet G)
22./25. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
23./20. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
24./21. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo)
25./15. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth <RPG> (Atlus)
26./10. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
27./08. [PSV] Collar x Malice <ADV> (Idea Factory)
28./24. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous)
29./27. [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Doko Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
30./00. [PSV] PuraMai Wars V <ADV> (Entergram)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

01./01. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
02./10. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
03./02. [PS4] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
04./08. [PS3] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
05./03. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./06. [PS3] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
07./07. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
08./09. [PS4] Yakuza 6: Poetry of Life <ACT> (Sega)
09./11. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
10./13. [PS4] World of Final Fantasy <RPG> (Square Enix)
11./26. [PS4] The Last Guardian <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
12./16. [PS4] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
13./18. [PSV] Fate/Extella (Regalia Box) <ACT> (Marvelous)
14./42. [PSV] Geten no Hana with Yume Akari - Aizouban <ADV> (Koei Tecmo)
15./44. [PS4] Utawarerumono: The Two Hakuoros (Premium Edition) <RPG> (Aquaplus)
16./19. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
17./62. [PS3] Utawarerumono: The Two Hakuoros (Premium Edition) <RPG> (Aquaplus)
18./39. [PSV] Utawarerumono: The Two Hakuoros (Premium Edition) <RPG> (Aquaplus)
19./23. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Deluxe Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix)
20./66. [PS4] F1 2016 <SPT> (Ubisoft)

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 33, 2016 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

Shahed

I've always been curious why Japanese companies seemed so risk averse.

To use a Western example it seemee a lot of the publishers were surprised at how well the PS4 and Xbox One did out the gate, and at how fast the older generation was left behind. But while they were surprised by it, they weren't necessarily caught unaware. With the exception of odd games like Borderlands Pre Sequel which I think underperformed, as a whole they released all their games as cross gen titles. This allowed them to offer products to the high spending early adopters, to be be able to transition their buying audience to their future problems, while also having the safety net of the PS360 install base who'd buy games if the PS4 and Xbox One were slow out the gate. It seems like such an obvious thing to. Either way it would have worked out for them, so it was in thwir best interest to go for that route and mive their buying base as soon as they could.

Yet in Japan that didn't materialise. There were still so many PS3 only games releasing not only as or just after PS4 released but even a year and more out. They should have pretty much all been PS4 games. Not necessarily exclusively, cross gem would have been fine but there should have been more or an effort to transition their audience to future dedicated platforms they'd want to releaee games on, but they didn't. Now the writing was kind if on the wall already for home consoles in Japan anyway, but I'd imagine things would have been healthier if there was a more concentrated effort.

Now in NX we have another new platform launch coming soon. One that could become the last bastion of successful dedicated platforms in Japan. Any publisher who has an interest in developing games for the platform in the future should be there as soon as possible. Again it doesn't have to be exclusive. 3DS/NX or PS4/NX work ae well. But for some reason I just get the impression they'll just tip toe around in a 'will we, won't we' scenario, being risk averse and playing things by ear that it might be too late by the time they get their act together.

jnWake

To be fair, western publishers don't take that many risks in terms of genre. Most AAA games of this generation are either continuation of a franchise started last gen or a new IP in a successful genre from last gen.

horuhe

This weekend Persona 5 was the most pre-ordered game at Santy Shop. It will do even better as we reach the release day. Splatoon amiibo were also popular.
Bxlj8XW.jpg

v3iymgf.jpg

In that shop also, Federation Force hasn't moved at all. The shipments were very low, so they weren't doing discounts. (On Rakuten, for example, it did around Rhythm Heaven did this week, so if it enters on Top 50, it would do it on the very low positions)

Fire Emblem Cypher is popular at little shops. In one in Hachioji, every Thursday of this month were helding an event for playing it. Also, used Xbox One are at 28,000yen (only three units, lol), near retro consoles and other old stuff.

casiopao

I've always been curious why Japanese companies seemed so risk averse.

To use a Western example it seemee a lot of the publishers were surprised at how well the PS4 and Xbox One did out the gate, and at how fast the older generation was left behind. But while they were surprised by it, they weren't necessarily caught unaware. With the exception of odd games like Borderlands Pre Sequel which I think underperformed, as a whole they released all their games as cross gen titles. This allowed them to offer products to the high spending early adopters, to be be able to transition their buying audience to their future problems, while also having the safety net of the PS360 install base who'd buy games if the PS4 and Xbox One were slow out the gate. It seems like such an obvious thing to. Either way it would have worked out for them, so it was in thwir best interest to go for that route and mive their buying base as soon as they could.

Yet in Japan that didn't materialise. There were still so many PS3 only games releasing not only as or just after PS4 released but even a year and more out. They should have pretty much all been PS4 games. Not necessarily exclusively, cross gem would have been fine but there should have been more or an effort to transition their audience to future dedicated platforms they'd want to releaee games on, but they didn't. Now the writing was kind if on the wall already for home consoles in Japan anyway, but I'd imagine things would have been healthier if there was a more concentrated effort.

Now in NX we have another new platform launch coming soon. One that could become the last bastion of successful dedicated platforms in Japan. Any publisher who has an interest in developing games for the platform in the future should be there as soon as possible. Again it doesn't have to be exclusive. 3DS/NX or PS4/NX work ae well. But for some reason I just get the impression they'll just tip toe around in a 'will we, won't we' scenario, being risk averse and playing things by ear that it might be too late by the time they get their act together.

Because in Japan adoption of new consoles is not as fast as the World and also, we had already seen how bad PS4 is doing vs handhelds so there is almost zero incentives to dive deep into the new generation first especially when the cost is keep rising every year.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 34 2016

01./01. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
02./02. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
03./00. [PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom)
04./00. [PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom)
05./00. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore)

06./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
07./00. [PS4] No Man's Sky <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
08./04. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
09./00. [PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD <ACT> (Sega)
10./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
11./11. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
12./08. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./09. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
14./10. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
15./06. [PSV] Toukiden 2 <&#65362;(Koei Tecmo)
16./00. [PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle <FTG> (Planet G)
17./00. [3DS] Metroid Prime: Federation Force <ACT> (Nintendo)

18./07. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth <RPG> (Atlus)
19./15. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
20./14. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)

_____

Metroid charted lol
A lot of discrepancies this week between stores. I guess most of the new releases sold about the same. Still, you know Tsutaya is the most accurate 8)

sense

For SE, they initially had some successes with the DQ spin-offs but that's since largely petered out. World of FF is so low on the radar, it seems, that it has tunneled underground at this point.

This seems like a weak argument. I feel like your expectations are too high for non mainline games and mainline entries also on PS3/vita to push console sales more than they have. KT/TK have done really well with their dqh games and attack on titan game which were the games they seemed to have put more effort in the ps4 version and in the game itself in general and it seems to have worked out for them. I guess Toukiden 2 is probably their major failure so far since they tried to convert a handheld audience to console to appeal to the western audience and probably killed the ip.

I know people like to shit on sfv and its sales and deservedly so but it was nowhere near capcom' s "largest ip" in this day and age. There is a reason why they needed outside help to even make the game. Fighting games are just not that popular with the exception being maybe mortal kombat in the western market. Did its sales disappoint? Absolutely. The point is that even if they had executed its launch perfectly with a story mode and many options and modes and scored higher, the game wouldn't have done that much better or hits its 2m goal. If resident evil flops then your argument is stronger.

Square enix hasn't put anything major on ps4 yet that would classify as a game meant to push ps4 sales besides maybe dqb but that also felt like a handheld oriented game which also was a success anyways.

Mgsv and persona 5 are also hampered by the fact they are on PS3 to judge their strength in pushing consoles and from the looks of it dq11 is also going to have less of an effect with it releasing on multiple platforms simultaneously.

None of the publishers have put their best foot forward to say they have failed. They launched games with safety nets and I don't blame them for it as most of the games have sold as well as they could have with a couple of exceptions like sfv, Toukiden and maybe berseria. Tales of berseria just seems like brand fatigue alongside bad reception from the previous entry.

Do you think square is expecting world of ff to light the charts on fire and sell millions? They will be absolutely delighted if it sells like dqb and it has decent chance of meeting it if the reviews come out good.

All these publishers have done the best they can to make sure ps4 hardware sales haven't totally collapsed and now going forward they SHOULD be able to reap the rewards with a cheap ps4 slim and actual exclusives like ffxv, resident evil, yakuza 6 and many more going ps4 only to come out that will get people to pick up the ps4 in bigger numbers which is when they should truly be judged imo.

If something like splatoon was also on 3ds it would have probably sold like shit on wii u. It was just a surprise hit that just took off and no one even probably Nintendo expected the game to do as well as it did and if they did, it would have been on 3ds as well.

horuhe

&#332;kami;215307613 said:
500gb Xbox One is getting a price drop starting September 1st until the end of the year, from 36.729 yen (about $320) to 29.980 yen (about $260).

Haha, just wow. Those stores really knew that, lol.

crinale

Oregano

<snip>
That said, there's also the issue that these companies aren't actually very impressive anymore, so there's a question of how many units they can motivate even with their top brands. However, rather conveniently, the full combined force of Capcom, Koei-Tecmo, Sega-Atlus, Namco Bandai, and Square-Enix will be on display on PS4 between now and the NX's launch, so we can see just how much these companies move hardware in 2016. Konami already contributed what they could, so that's baked in to the sales trajectory.

As for your self awareness note, I guess it's possible they're so oblivious that they think Nintendo can float everything themselves, but I would think the Wii U would be a good enough display of how totally not true that is.

Well we're touching on a slightly different subject before but I think there's a reap expectation for Nintendo to prove their own platforms which just isn't there for PlayStation on account of Sony's nonexistent first party.

I also think that whilst dedicated devices are important to those third parties, it's not Nintendo dedicated devices.I'll break it down by publisher a bit:

Square Enix: Dragon Quest is their only Nintendo focused brand(less so recently) and that's announced for NX. Final Fantasy, (mainline)Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Nier, etc aren't going to be on a Nintendo handheld so it doesn't matter if NX is a success for those. At most they'll lose a million or two DQ customers(but DQ is making bank on mobile anyway).

Koei Tecmo: The only products they put on Nintendo systems are ones funded by Nintendo and Nintendo funded them for the Wii U so even it NX is a failure Nintendo will probably hire them.

Capcom: They only have Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter on Nintendo systems. AA is declining to irrelevance anyway and MH is likely to be on NX. Similar to SE everything else is console/PS4 focused so NX's success matters little.

Sega: Actually probably the most effected on a product by product level because the vast majority of Atlus' catalogue has been on the 3DS this past gen and a weak Nintendo system hurts Sonic worldwide.

Namco Bandai: They have a lot of more family friendly IPs that would be negatively effected but their bread and butter(Tekken,Dragonball Z and Dark Souls) are western and console focused and even Tales isn't seen as having an audience on Nintendo systems.

I think like the 3DS, Wii and Wii U we'll see a lot of "one and done" releases from traditionally PS franchises because they won't see a need to cultivate an audience they don't believe is there. We already saw it with Musou dropping Wii U after two late ports sold terribly but continuing on PS4 after similar numbers.

Celine

Well we're touching on a slightly different subject before but I think there's a reap expectation for Nintendo to prove their own platforms which just isn't there for PlayStation on account of Sony's nonexistent first party.

I also think that whilst dedicated devices are important to those third parties, it's not Nintendo dedicated devices.I'll break it down by publisher a bit:

Square Enix: Dragon Quest is their only Nintendo focused brand(less so recently) and that's announced for NX. Final Fantasy, (mainline)Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Nier, etc aren't going to be on a Nintendo handheld so it doesn't matter if NX is a success for those. At most they'll lose a million or two DQ customers(but DQ is making bank on mobile anyway).

Koei Tecmo: The only products they put on Nintendo systems are ones funded by Nintendo and Nintendo funded them for the Wii U so even it NX is a failure Nintendo will probably hire them.

Capcom: They only have Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter on Nintendo systems. AA is declining to irrelevance anyway and MH is likely to be on NX. Similar to SE everything else is console/PS4 focused so NX's success matters little.

Sega: Actually probably the most effected on a product by product level because the vast majority of Atlus' catalogue has been on the 3DS this past gen and a weak Nintendo system hurts Sonic worldwide.

Namco Bandai: They have a lot of more family friendly IPs that would be negatively effected but their bread and butter(Tekken,Dragonball Z and Dark Souls) are western and console focused and even Tales isn't seen as having an audience on Nintendo systems.

I think like the 3DS, Wii and Wii U we'll see a lot of "one and done" releases from traditionally PS franchises because they won't see a need to cultivate an audience they don't believe is there. We already saw it with Musou dropping Wii U after two late ports sold terribly but continuing on PS4 after similar numbers.
Disagree with the bolded.
If we look at 3DS software sales (and compare to Vita or PS4) it's evident that Nintendo handhelds are very important for third party who want to sell in Japan:
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/nintendo-3ds
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/playstation-vita
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/playstation-4

SE: Nier and Star Ocean aren't important for SE bottomline so I'm not sure why you cite those but not something like Bravely Default.

Koei Tecmo: Yup Sony home consoles.

Capcom: Only? You are under the impression Capcom have many bankable IPs?
Everything else is Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Dead Rising for which the first isn't even out (mainline episode) and the latter two had at least one game partially funded by a console manufacturer.

Namco Bandai: Namco Bandai is usually the second or third publisher by volume in Japan.
Of course their bread and butter is also on Nintendo handhelds.
Part of NB bread and butter is releasing a bunch of small/mid budget games that sell relatively well but not huge in Japan.

EDIT:
Could someone post the latest sales figures or the like for god eater 1 and 2 please

GE Burst (PSP): 618K
GE (PSP): 617K
GE2 (PSV): 417K
GE2 Rage Burst (PSV): 366K
GE2 (PSP): 206K
GE Resurrection (PS4): 47K

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

Tizoc

EDIT:

Thanks, didn't the GE games release on PS4 in Japan too? What're the available figures for those?
EDIT: Ah saw the edit thanks again.

Oregano

If we look at 3DS software sales (and compare to Vita or PS4) it's evident that Nintendo handhelds are very important for third party who want to sell in Japan:
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/playstation-vita
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/playstation-4

SE: Nier and Star Ocean aren't important for SE bottomline so I'm not sure why you cite those but not something like Bravely Default.

Everything else is Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Dead Rising for which the first isn't even out (mainline episode) and the latter two had at least one game partially funded by a console manufacturer.

Namco Bandai: Namco Bandai is usually the second or third publisher by volume in Japan.
Part of NB bread and butter is releasing a bunch of small/mid budget games that sell relatively well but not huge in Japan.

Nier and Star Ocean were named because they are recent/current mid-tier projects, not because they're particularly important.

In Capcom's case, you are probably right, it is different because it is probably more important but there's not much they can do other than Monster Hunter on there(which they will). They tried throwing Resident Evil and Lost Planet on 3DS and it didn't really work.

As for Namco Bandai it's been a while since I've seen a breakdown but Nintendo platforms usually represent a small minority of their sales.

I also realise that I ended up parroted a lot of what Nirolak said back to him.@_@

EDIT:

GE Resurrection (PS4): 47K

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

I think the point is for Capcom, KT, Konami(lol), NB and especially SE the Playstation ecosystem is a bigger priority and of greater importance globally.

Celine

Nier and Star Ocean were named because they are recent/current mid-tier projects, not because they're particularly important.
The current state of Nintendo devices is that 3DS is old (5-6 years in the market), WiiU is dead and NX isn't even being officially unveiled.

In Capcom's case, you are probably right, it is different because it is probably more important but there's not much they can do other than Monster Hunter on there(which they will). They tried throwing Resident Evil and Lost Planet on 3DS and it didn't really work.
RER probably soured Capcom 3DS expectation for western sales.
3DS big problem was that it sold very well in Japan but met with decent but disappointing sales outside Japan.

As for Namco Bandai it's been a while since I've seen a breakdown but Nintendo platforms usually represent a small minority of their sales.
Look at the links I gave you and sort for publisher, a good chunk of NB sales this generation came from 3DS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ask yourself...how many of those projects would still be Sony-only if the 3DS was able to run them without to much effort ? WiiU was a flop and caught between lower budgets handheld/mobile games or high end stuff, obv. it didnt make sense to establish another target plattform next to PS3/PS4(PSV).

We still need to see what NX will be but if the current rumors are accurate, i think projects like KH3 and NNK2 will hit the system as well.
3DS big problem was that it sold very well in Japan but met with decent but disappointing sales outside Japan.
It sold okay, but at the end of the day the 3DS was an outlier from early on. You either develop for higher spec HD system from the get go or use the 3DS as a base, which could have negatively effect on the project for more capable systems.

It will be way easier to find a common development ground for NX and the current systems than it ever was for the 3DS. Just looking at the japanese console market i really dont see too many projects were i can say...yeah this will never run the NX rumored hardware, though this might change depending on what kind of announcement we will see during the PS4 Neo Event.

Oregano

The current state of Nintendo devices is that 3DS is old (5-6 years in the market), WiiU is dead and NX isn't even being officially unveiled.

Look at the links I gave you and sort for publisher, a good chunk of NB sales this generation came from 3DS.

Capcom's issue isn't really any specific franchises or markets. They're dying a slow death in general.

Also 3DS has represented a significant portion of domestic sales for Namco Bandai and it would hurt to lose them(though obviously they wouldn't disappear overnight as Nirolak said) but when you look at their global sales I think the marketshare for Nintendo platforms is much smaller.

Edit: cw_sasuke Japanese publishers had dropped Wii U before it even launched as evidenced by the fact there was no second wave of software after launch. A bunch of Western publishers at least made a second effort.

Ask yourself...how many of those projects would still be Sony-only if the 3DS was able to run them without to much effort ? WiiU was a flop and caught between lower budgets handheld/mobile games or high end stuff, obv. it didnt make sense to establish another target plattform next to PS3/PS4(PSV).

We still need to see what NX will be but if the current rumors are accurate, i think projects like KH3 and NNK2 will hit the system as well.

It sold okay, but at the end of the day the 3DS was an outlier from early on. You either develop for higher spec HD system from the get go or use the 3DS as a base, which could have negatively effect on the project for more capable systems.

It will be way easier to find a common development ground for NX and the current systems than it ever was for the 3DS. Just looking at the japanese console market i really dont see too many projects were i can say...yeah this will never run the NX rumored hardware, though this might change depending on what kind of announcement we will see during the PS4 Neo Event.

The point isn't exclusivity rather where the audience is. FFXV may be on XB1 but the majority of the audience are on PS4 hence the latter being a priority. Same with KH3.

But this is just JP sales? NB has a lot foreign sales.

cw_sasuke

The point isn't exclusivity rather where the audience is. FFXV may be on XB1 but the majority of the audience are on PS4 hence the latter being a priority. Same with KH3.

The point is if its worth to develop or put a game on multiple plattforms - my answer is that unless NX is a mayor bomba japanese 3rd Party devs will have more content ready for the system because the hardware specs will allow easier ports compared to the 3DS.

XB1 is a non factor in Japan and hasnt played a role for SE Japan games since its launch in 2014 - dont know why you are bringing it up.

Edit: cw_sasuke Japanese publishers had dropped Wii U before it even launched as evidenced by the fact there was no second wave of software after launch. A bunch of Western publishers at least made a second effort.

Yeah - as said between mobile/handheld and the upcoming next-gen system the WiiU was caught in a bad spot - didnt help that the system was expensive and hardware/software sold like crap.

Oregano

The point is if its worth to develop or put a game on multiple plattforms - my answer is that unless NX is a mayor bomba japanese 3rd Party devs will have more content ready for the system because the hardware specs will allow easier ports compared to the 3DS.

XB1 is a non factor in Japan and hasnt played a role for SE Japan games since its launch in 2014 - dont know why you are bringing it up.

Nintendo also has to convince publishers that there is an audience on Nintendo platforms for those games and that it won't just spread the audience out whilst increasing development costs.

To use the current example of Tales of Berseria they would have to convince Namco that the ~200k users who have bought Tales games on Nintendo platforms in the past aren't just core fans who are already buying the game on the PS4.

Sandfox

Nintendo also has to convince publishers that there is an audience on Nintendo platforms for those games and that it won't just spread the audience out whilst increasing development costs.

To use the current example of Tales of Berseria they would have to convince Namco that the ~200k users who have bought Tales games on Nintendo platforms in the past aren't just core fans who are already buying the game on the PS4.

Given the direction the series seems to be going I would think that trying to expose the Tales series to more fans on a platform that will likely have a strong number of RPGs would be beneficial for BN.

cw_sasuke

I doubt many devs will have to luxury to play hard to get down the line - we see many publishers still bringing mutiple games to additional PS plattforms even if the sales per single SKU are low just because ports are easy.

Many PSV/PS3 games did get PS4 version even though the PS4 sales were lackluster for the first 2 years on many titles - obv. potential western releases played a role but i think the streamlined development process for easy ports was the No. 1 reason.

Looking at the current Tales of Sales as still one of the bigger IPs - i think if they think they can sell up to 100k units on NX for a multiplattform game it will be worth the effort. With less units sold for smaller IPs.

Nintendo needs solid support from all of these companies to make a splash with NX in Japan, and elsewhere, mostly to increase the catalogue on the new system so western gamers feel like it's worth their investment. Hyrule Warriors sold... over a million alone on Wii U? So that game beat expectations. So we can definitely expect a sequel to that game, likely funded by Nintendo, but who cares? A game is a game.

I think SEGA has become almost completely irrelevant. Sonic is not as strong of a brand as it once was, even since the Wii generation ended. Lost World was not a low-quality game, I just think the audience for the game didn't own a Wii U, due it's high price, and so the game crashed and burned. Truly a shame. I seriously do not think Lost World's quality was worthy of the low sales, it was a true Sonic game made by their A team. Regardless, if SEGA and Nintendo can't even sell Sonic games in high numbers, then none of SEGA's other various IP will do the trick. Sonic had found a successful home on Nintendo platforms after the end of the Dreamcast.

With Namco Bandai, obviously given that MH is a beast and it's home has been on 3DS for five years now, I think people are trained to think of Nintendo platforms when they think of MH, so I doubt Capcom or Nintendo are interested in changing that. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. Outside of that, fighting games not called Smash Bros don't seem to do so well on Nintendo systems, so I wonder if they'll even try Tekken or SF on NX. It might not even be worth the low investment of a port, but we'll see. Outside of MH, Nintendo seems to also use NB to outsource some of it's first-party production on major titles, in order to meet deadlines. They literally gave Sakurai an entire development team of internal NB staff to make Smash 3DS/ Wii U. And then there were all of the rumors earlier this year that Nintendo was using NB to help with "several launch titles" for NX, including what many of us believe to be some kind of port of Smash Wii U.

Fisico

Outside of that, fighting games not called Smash Bros don't seem to do so well on Nintendo systems

You could even scrap the "on Nintendo systems" part, fighting games not called Smash Bros don't do well anywhere.
Outside of minor success for ArcSys that is (P4 Arena and Blazblue)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It took closer to 12-18 months for Japanese publishers to start meaningfully showing up on Sony's last two platforms, so if we use that as the model, we can pencil in larger NX support to start showing up in 2018.

Well, or I guess even later if we view them as seeing NX as less valuable.

3DS was a lot faster, but it could even be a factor of hardware capability in the end.

Though, if we wind my point back to the start, essentially what I was trying to say is that Japanese publishers have the opportunity to at least try and not let the last dedicated platform go totally to shit, but I'm not sure if they care (varying by publisher) to actually attempt to help out on that front given how they approached the last four new hardware launches from Nintendo and Sony compared to the all in approaches of Western publishers that lead to hugely successful launches.

Oregano

Given the direction the series seems to be going I would think that trying to expose the Tales series to more fans on a platform that will likely have a strong number of RPGs would be beneficial for BN.

I doubt many devs will have to luxury to play hard to get down the line - we see many publishers still bringing mutiple games to additional PS plattforms even if the sales per single SKU are low just because ports are easy.

Many PSV/PS3 games did get PS4 version even though the PS4 sales were lackluster for the first 2 years on many titles - obv. potential western releases played a role but i think the streamlined development process for easy ports was the No. 1 reason.

Looking at the current Tales of Sales as still one of the bigger IPs - i think if they think they can sell up to 100k units on NX for a multiplattform game it will be worth the effort. With less units sold for smaller IPs.

The issue there being it would be ridiculously easy for Namco execs to think "We're already in decline on the platforms our game sells on. We need stricter budgets and can't risk spending on a risky platform."

Being closer in tech specs and more modern definitely lowers the bar significantly for what number makes it viable.

Nintendo needs solid support from all of these companies to make a splash with NX in Japan, and elsewhere, mostly to increase the catalogue on the new system so western gamers feel like it's worth their investment. Hyrule Warriors sold... over a million alone on Wii U? So that game beat expectations. So we can definitely expect a sequel to that game, likely funded by Nintendo, but who cares? A game is a game.

I think SEGA has become almost completely irrelevant. Sonic is not as strong of a brand as it once was, even since the Wii generation ended. Lost World was not a low-quality game, I just think the audience for the game didn't own a Wii U, due it's high price, and so the game crashed and burned. Truly a shame. I seriously do not think Lost World's quality was worthy of the low sales, it was a true Sonic game made by their A team. Regardless, if SEGA and Nintendo can't even sell Sonic games in high numbers, then none of SEGA's other various IP will do the trick. Sonic had found a successful home on Nintendo platforms after the end of the Dreamcast.

With Namco Bandai, obviously given that MH is a beast and it's home has been on 3DS for five years now, I think people are trained to think of Nintendo platforms when they think of MH, so I doubt Capcom or Nintendo are interested in changing that. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. Outside of that, fighting games not called Smash Bros don't seem to do so well on Nintendo systems, so I wonder if they'll even try Tekken or SF on NX. It might not even be worth the low investment of a port, but we'll see. Outside of MH, Nintendo seems to also use NB to outsource some of it's first-party production on major titles, in order to meet deadlines. They literally gave Sakurai an entire development team of internal NB staff to make Smash 3DS/ Wii U. And then there were all of the rumors earlier this year that Nintendo was using NB to help with "several launch titles" for NX, including what many of us believe to be some kind of port of Smash Wii U.

I think you got NB and Capcom mixed up(or thought they merged?) but Nintendo needs Koei Tecmo and Namco Bandai to be there with their own titles too. Wii U had first party titles by KT and NB and it didn't help.

Shahed

Because in Japan adoption of new consoles is not as fast as the World and also, we had already seen how bad PS4 is doing vs handhelds so there is almost zero incentives to dive deep into the new generation first especially when the cost is keep rising every year.

But they're going to go to the new platform anyway, so why wait? Especially since getting there early can not only get you additional sales from high spending early adopters, but also allow you to develop your own customer base on the new platform earlier and have them more ready for the later content. And if that doesn't work out you still have the version on the previous platform to get the sales anyway

I mean if a developer releases on 3DS, chances are they'll also be on NX as well. So why wait? If the NX is going to be an important platform for them in the future, then it's in their best interest to be there and help it grow. Again they don't have to go all in and make them exclusive, cross gen can serve that end while also offering the safety net of a release of the older platform.

But in the case ot PS3>PS4 it just didn't happen. Now most of them are releasing PS4 games, be they exclusive or with a PS3 version. What I'm saying is that instead of being PS3 only at or after the PS4 release, they should have been PS3 and PS4. If the develop/publisher had no interest in transitioning to PS4 then fair enough. But as it seems to be the case they are going PS4, just really late. It would have been in their best interest to be there earlier and develop their customers on a platform they would rely on in the future.

When the NX comes out they should be on there as early as possible. But I just don't see it happening and I have no idea why. It makes no sense to me when they still have the previous platform to fsll back on in a cross gen release.

It took closer to 12-18 months for Japanese publishers to start meaningfully showing up on Sony's last two platforms, so if we use that as the model, we can pencil in larger NX support to start showing up in 2018.

3DS was a lot faster, but it could even be a factor of hardware capability in the end.

Though, if we wind my point back to the start, essentially what I was trying to say is that Japanese publishers have the opportunity to at least try and not let the last dedicated platform go totally to shit, but I'm not sure if they care (varying by publisher) to actually attempt to help out on that front given how they approached the last four new hardware launches from Nintendo and Sony compared to the all in approaches of Western publishers that lead to hugely successful launches.

This is what I mean. Why such a long timescale to get on the new platform? Going exclusive to the new platform is very risky and it makes perfect sense why they won't do that. But you don't need to be exclusives to be present. Cross gen works just as well while minimising risks.

Oregano

True. I think NX is going to be at a significant disadvantage compared to 3DS because of hardware capability.

3DS games could be developed quicker and cheaper than NX will be and it was a lot easier then for someone like Koei to make an exclusive Musou or Dead or Alive. Whatever NX gets early in its life is likely mostly dependent on what's already in production on other systems and can afford to work on another Sku. That's essentially the issue Wii U and PS4 had.

I'm not sure what teams are actually in a good space to have been developing for NX exclusives(if they exist). It would have to be developers who haven't shipped a product in the last year or two and I'm not sure who that would be off the top of my head.

Celine

This wasn't true two or more generation ago.

Also Japanese developers should be concerned that currently 11 out of 20 best selling PS4 games in Japan were developed abroad.
This was something unthinkable two generations ago.

Oregano

Actually on the cross gen note is there anything substantial announced for 2017 on 3DS apart from DQXI, Lady Layton and Ever Oasis?

DQXI is already confirmed for NX.
Layton(and other Level 5) is possible considering Layton hit 3DS launch.
Ever Oasis unlikely, it's the token late in the gen Nintendo IP.

casiopao

This wasn't true two or more generation ago.

Also Japanese developers should be concerned that currently 11 out of 20 best selling PS4 games in Japan were developed abroad.
This was something unthinkable two generations ago.

I believe the reason on those other games doing much better vs their own local develop game is quite easy lol.

The Japanese devs simply is not on par this gen, the audience had moved to handhelds and mobile or the hardcore player number had decreased heavily leaving only a few in Japan.

Datschge

the hardcore player number had decreased heavily leaving only a few in Japan.
I think the big part the industry in Japan was missing is that there is no single hardcore audience, they have to (re)build them every gen there. The last time this worked smoothly was on PS2 which was a runaway hardware success after the good image PS1 had, and the publishers jumped on board as well even though they took their sweet time doing so. Audience size wise the replacement for PS2 in Japan was the Wii, but aside the runaway software successes which made the Wii the success it was criminally underserved regarding software options, leading to the system getting dropped at a rate that the slow build up of PS3 could never catch on. PS3 itself, having had full publisher support from the get go, slowly reached an acceptable albeit low sales level. From this miserable end of last gen Wii U managed an even smaller uptake and little to no publisher support but still being ahead of PS4 in total install base even now, showing how busted the overall console market really is in Japan today.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nirolak's take on the "late to jump in" approach for Japanese third parties is justified, but at the same time I'd say it would be risky for them (as probably Nirolak too already stated), in terms of sustain the classic dedicated device market.
At least the cross-gen release (aka DQXI-like model) should be taken into consideration, imho, if they are interesetd in supporting the dedicated device market.
IF, because maybe they are not. But I'm not THAT sure that the mobile market could be seen as a sure success for all the existing Japanese software houses neither.
Let's see..

Takao

Banned
I really disagree with the idea that third parties were late to cross-gen PS3/PS4 games. Sony seemed to deliberately make sure that was a thing ASAP. Compare that transition to PSP -> Vita, where the former was getting notable exclusive content well after the latter had launched. What was the last notable PS3-only game in Japan? Zestiria?

Top Bottom