• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2016 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
3DS in Japan has simply reached a saturation point, there is simply not that many young kids being bought their first 3DS. Even for those new sales Nintendo needs to beat out competition from smart devices. Nintendo is simply going to have to concentrating on getting the maximum number of people to upgrade to NX from the 3DS. I don't see how their sales can expand in Japan unless they are able to expand the demographics and bring more women and older people into the fold.

What interests me - how much is Pokemon Go is doing in terms of generating capital in Japan. It's 4th despite the fact that there haven't actually been any notable updates to keep interest going. Depending on how updates are handled it's probably the greatest area of expansion for Nintendo. It is definetly interesting how their next mobile games will fair and who will be the target demographic. Since this will give me a better idea about their long term strategy in Japan and the World. Miitomo is supposed to be integrated with the NX and new Nintendo ecosystem, so we shall see what type of updates are implemented there in the upcoming months.

See this part

DS and GameBoy sold over 30 million, now you can say those millions users are now on mobile but the reason of Pokémon GO is attract some of those users, so saturation is a fair point cause 3DS in Japan has yes sold very good, but not that good

3DS may have saturated the console market, but the Pokémon GO boost come from mobile market buyers.

Always found pretty amusing that the 3DS XL outsold the 3DS pretty much right out of the gate, but once the New 3DS models were launched, sales dropped like a rock... while the OG 3DS kept going.

Total opposite of the west where OG 3DS sales pretty much died when the XL launched, and the model was actually discontinued after a while.

OG 3DS really is Japan's 2DS, when you think about it.
Well, they do have some great color options for the regular 3DS in Japan.

e.g. I wuv my Light Blue 3DS.

See this part

3DS may have saturated the console market, but the Pokémon GO boost come from mobile market buyers.

3DS selling several million more in Japan that is way smaller market than US should tell you that in Japan 3DS has already simply reached some of that more casual market. There are less of those people that are interested in Pokemon now after Go but have not bought 3DS than there is in west. In west handheld market crashed this gen and now tiny fraction is coming back to 3DS. That same crash didn't happen in same decree in Japan. 3DS has tapped to casual base in Japan since its launch.

3Kaze

So it's fairer to compare 2 skus released on Sony platforms to 1 sku released on a Microsoft console? Really?

As I told you is a flawed comparison no matter which side you take. For me Vesperia PS3 and Graces F could be considered as another sku of the main game (despite having more characters, costumes, bosses and a new arc in the case of Graces F) because I highly doubt that for a game like Graces (full of glitches and bugs in the Wii version) would've been a lot of double dippers like you said. And that game had a 363.000 launch week (combined), more than 100.000 copies than Berseria did. If you think that there were many double dippers then I want to see the receipts :p

If you think that they should be 2 different versions and not combined... then I agree to disagree. But the fact remains: Berseria sales are pretty disappointing (Not to kill the brand but enough to reconsider the next game).

Wut. Sorry but why are you even combining two first week in the first place? It would be 8 days vs 4. Your argument makes absolutely no sense.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sun/Moon and a possible Japanese price cut will be one of the last hurrahs for the system.

Sun/Moon hype is definitely real.

See this part

Pokémon Go isn't the master key to the entire mobile audience. It's a casual game, but it's not "Learn English on the DS" or sudoku-type casual gaming. There is indeed a remaining potential audience for the 3DS in Japan, but it's not the audience that's playing Pokémon Go.

I think Pokémon Go is targeted at people who would find quite a lot of games they would enjoy on the 3DS already. The system being much more popular in Japan, I think it's likely that a lot of those people had been convinced by its offerings long before they were reminded of Pokémon (if they needed to be reminded).

In the West, where the 3DS isn't visible in people's hands everywhere you go, Pokémon Go is doing some much needed convincing. It's a powerful advertising tool that Japan didn't need as much as the West.

The impact of Pokémon Go looks impressive in the West because the 3DS had been selling below its potential for years. It's been disappointing since 2012 there.

Assuming Persona 5 hits 500k, what are the guesses for the PS3/PS4 split? 200k/300k? 150k/350k?

I expect a way bigger difference between the two compared to Tales of Berseria PS4 vs PS3. Right now I'm going with 280K on PS4 and 80K on PS3, and that's not taking into account the probable release of the slim model.

hiska-kun

Just heard that PS4 stock likely to cease entirely throughout in Japan within weeks..

Well, since WSJ leaked that a new Slim model is coming, people should refrain from now to buy a PS4, so sales should slow down anyway. The ones that keep buying these days are just uninformed people, better for them if they don't find the console on stores.

crinale

Well, since WSJ leaked that a new Slim model is coming, people should refrain from now to buy a PS4, so sales should slow down antway. The ones that keep buying these days are just uninformed people, better for them if they don't find the console on stores.

I think those uninformed cloud won't give two fucks about which model they're getting. However they will be very disappointed if they find out the price difference so yes it's good for them to not current models I guess.
As for me my wife is asking for another DualShock4 but I'm telling her to wait until something happens within weeks :D

Fisico

Assuming Persona 5 hits 500k, what are the guesses for the PS3/PS4 split? 200k/300k? 150k/350k?

Rather the later.
With Berseria we just saw a 70/30 split and unlike many other games I don't think the game was marketed as a PS4 entry first and foremost and "btw there's also a PS3 SKU but that's kinda for LOSERS", Persona 5 should be around that.

But I'm mainly talking about first week, before in case of multiplat releases PS3/PS4 the PS3 sku had better legs, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore but let's wait for Berseria 2nd, 3rd and 4th week numbers to be sure.

sphinx

the piano man
Well, since WSJ leaked that a new Slim model is coming, people should refrain from now to buy a PS4, so sales should slow down anyway.

this, under the assumption that the slim will be cheaper than OG PS4.

do we know that for a fact though?

I mean, there a chance the slim and the regular one will cost the same,right?

Scum

Well, what do you know. It finally happened. Konami just announced a Powapro game for the 3DS. Out this year (Winter 2016, so November/December)

http://gamestalk.net/powerpro-heroes/

jose.png

So 500K is looking a little high for Persona 5 given these sales. I can see it comfortably beating Tales, and potentially MGS V, but not by that degree, at least not before discounting. The active users at launch for any PS4 game look to be in the 250-400K range.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering how the producer said this new Pawapuro game will be "easy to play", I wonder if this could be a sort-of-successor of the former, Nintendo-handheld exclusive Power Pro Kun Pocket spin-off series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Considering how the producer said this new Pawapuro game will be "easy to play", I wonder if this could be a sort-of-successor of the former, Nintendo-handheld exclusive Power Pro Kun Pocket spin-off series.

I imagine they also want to make it accessible to any kids who are interested in the mobile game, but don't own a mobile phone. There's no real downside there given it's not a hard as nails core game where they're going to upset the audience.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famista came out last October and maybe they think there is still potential for Power Pro sales at 3DS even so late at its lifetime.

casiopao

This could end up being huge. PowaPro Baseball is still very frequently a Top 10 performing mobile game in Japan on a monthly basis (this is a *lot* of money) and Konami's two other mobile soccer games are strong performers.

Yup. Konami actually is doing absolutely great on mobile and considering the base of the game is sport, we can see how easy it will be for Konami to look for collab for the game to push more event revenue.

I mean, manga is like the goldmine for collab.^^

Ōkami

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: 438.478

There's a big discrepancy regarding this game between Famitsu and the other trackers.

It returned around March on Media Create when it was sold at a high discount on Amazon, they had it above 450k by then.

It returned to Dengeki this week and it's at 461.710.

To my understanding Famitsu doesn't track Amazon sales so I guess that'd be the problem.

BKK

Famitsu just stops tracking sales of certain titles after they haven't sold much for a while, then they miss them when they start selling again. #inferiortracker

L~A

Famista came out last October and maybe they think there is still potential for Power Pro sales at 3DS even so late at its lifetime.

Do we have an updated LTD for Media Create?

Famitsu has the game at 77k LTD. I think PowerPro should easily be able to beat that. In fact, I think it should be able to at least outsell the worst selling version of the latest entry (I believe that's the PS3 version?).

While I agree it's a bit late, I don't think it should matter much. As long as the game is good, at least. Definitely won't push hardware, that's for sure.

Takao

Banned
I imagine they also want to make it accessible to any kids who are interested in the mobile game, but don't own a mobile phone. There's no real downside there given it's not a hard as nails core game where they're going to upset the audience.

Given Yu-Gi-Oh!, there's a chance that could be another F2P game. Konami already operates a F2P Power Pros on PlayStation.

Top Bottom