• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just for the halibut, let's see what 3DS (any) announcements we've had in the last... 30 days?

Steel Empire (eShop remake by Star Fish SD)
Karous: The Beast Of Re: Eden (retail, new or port, no idea, by Klon)
Toriko: Ultimate Survival (new, retail, by Bandai Namco)
A-Train 3D (likely retail, technically not a new announcement, just back from the dead, by Artdink)
VitaminX Evolution Plus (PSP port, likely retail and by D3 and HuneX)
VitaminZ Revolution (same)
Years of Amazones (retail, new RPG by Arc System Works)
Kamen Rider (retail, new, by Bandai Namco and 7th Chord)
"nansanden" (new, retail, by Klon)

Pretty sure that's it, not too shabby.
When talking about third party handheld games becoming less common, I don't think people usually are referring only to volume, but also the general status of the titles being released.

It's kind of like how the Vita has a ton of games, but almost no big hitters.

Obviously the 3DS has a notable line-up of software big hitters, and will continue to dominate the traditional Japanese market, but the main conception would be "Where is the next wave from third parties, which third parties are and aren't present, and how does their high profile and low profile output compare generation over generation in terms of volume?"

One possible reason for that could be that potential developers are under NDA to not leak stuff until the conference .

Reason it could be possible is that Sony has managed to not let a single leak or at least very little of them happen this year in regards to PS4 .

of course i realize this could sound the same as the Wii U faithful who thinks Nintendo is hiding multiple 3rd party games Waiting to be announced but somehow i could see Sony actually doing this and actually having something to hide since they actually have third party support .

Of course this is just one possibility amongst many .
it could be possible this is everything they have and PS4 has nearly jack squat but i tend to keep every road open right now .
Generally speaking Sony doesn't run that kind of NDA. If someone wants to wait for the event because they think it gets them more coverage, they might, but otherwise there's no signs they're blocking anything.

Kenka

When talking about third party handheld games becoming less common, I don't think people usually are referring only to volume, but also the general status of the titles being released.

It's kind of like how the Vita has a ton of games, but almost no big hitters.

Obviously the 3DS has a notable line-up of software big hitters, and will continue to dominate the traditional Japanese market, but the main conception would be "Where is the next wave from third parties, which third parties are and aren't present, and how does their high profile and low profile output compare generation over generation in terms of volume?"

Generally speaking Sony doesn't run that kind of NDA. If someone wants to wait for the event because they think it gets them more coverage, they might, but otherwise there's no signs they're blocking anything.
I don't want to be a pain to anyone and I have no precise goal in asking that but does anyone have a revenue rankings for 2012 of all companies developing software for portable devices ? I guess it will enlighten the few profanes among us about the real game being played in the japanese industry right now. To me, it's still weird that S-E prefers to develop games for iOS instead of catering at their huge fanbase on traditional plateforms.

Takao

Banned
image4.jpg

I get dizzy every time I see a Japanese phone game with trading cards.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't want to be a pain to anyone and I have no precise goal in asking that but does anyone have a revenue rankings for 2012 of all companies developing software for portable devices ? I guess it will enlighten the few profanes among us about the real game being played in the japanese industry right now. To me, it's still weird that S-E prefers to develop games for iOS instead of catering at their huge fanbase on traditional plateforms.

A ranking of portable revenue, portable and mobile, or just total revenue (for the game division)?

I'm not sure everyone breaks out handhelds unfortunately, but we might be able to get some.

Thorgal

As i said its just a possibility.

although if i was a (Japanese ) dev who wants to announce a PS4 game i Could announce that game right now or wait a few days and announce it during or after the conferences when it is likely that more people would be paying attention during the Media buzz.

From my POV it would make more sense to do it like that .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, I can at least do Square Enix for smartphones vs. every retail product they make (including consoles and Eidos) and the reasons they have stated for switching their focus around.

They still intend to do really big deal console games as those ones can make a lot of money, but smaller margin games seem to be falling by the wayside.

Current revenue split:

slide15_b.jpg

Their stated reason for switching:

slide08_b.jpg

Their mobile revenue trend in more detail from their Q3 report:

slide10_b.jpg

More Q3 commentary on social:

slide11_b.jpg

And an older slide about how their social games are almost all profitable:

slide10_b.jpg

Oregano

Nirolak I would actually say that the 3DS is very polarised in regards to type of releases. The Vita seems to get a lot of midrange releases but the 3DS gets relatively few. The only midlevel games I can think of in the last year(in Japan) are SMTIV, Bravely Default and Fantasy Life and the latter two were exoected to be quite a bit smaller than they ended up being.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nirolak I would actually say that the 3DS is very polarised in regards to type of releases. The Vita seems to get a lot of midrange releases but the 3DS gets relatively few. The only midlevel games I can think of in the last year(in Japan) are SMTIV, Bravely Defaukt and Fantasy Life and the latter two were exoected to be quite a bit smaller than they ended up being.

Yeah I would say the 3DS kind of looks like consoles in the West, where you have big hits, games that come out and bomb, and then (since there isn't that much of a digital store front) retail releases that are budgeted/sell more like XBLA/PSN games.

This isn't a perfect analogy, but the stratification seems to be happening slowly.

I suspect in another year or two it will look much more like this as people who are leaving leave and the people who are interested in coming over all finish getting over.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Today. But it's not clear if the game is Gundam Musou 4. It's called Shin Gundam Musou.

Famitsu leak or something?

Wow! Count me in for the Vita version. This is amazing! Wonder if it's going to be this year though?

If it's called "Shin" Gundam Musou then that leads me to believe it may be a spin off or reboot or something. In fact it may not be being developed by Omega Force. Would love if it was DWG4 though!!

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wasn't Samurai Warriors 4 planned for February 2014? Maybe they say something this TGS.
I hope is a PS4 release, but probably will be a PS3.

Ni-Oh, (that ps3 game from 2005 that was delayed until...) maybe announced at TGS as well.

SW4 is indeed planned for Feb 2014. TGS announcement sounds highly likely.

/!\ SPOILERS /!\

David Gibson
@gibbogame
Famitsu JP data out - WiiU sold 6200 down from 7000 last wk with no releases, 3DS increased to 60k from 52k and PS3 was 16k from 11k last wk

David Gibson
@gibbogame
Namco Bandai Bizare Adventure All Star Battle of JoJo sold 392k PS3 and was #1, #2 was FF14 with 184k units, #3 Lost Planet 3 with 34k

Bruno MB

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle will be ultra front-loaded, I don't think it will need a new shipment if they really distributed 500.000 units.

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn had a very strong opening.

At least Lost Planet 3 (PS3) managed to have a better debut than the Xbox 360 version of Lost Planet 2 (33K) and E.X. Troopers (27k 3DS + PS3) :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Great FFXIV numbers, it already outsold FFXI LTD, didn't it?

3DS increasing with no significant release? Dat MH4 hype.

Peff

This is supposed to be a surprise after W101 numbers?

Kinda? Now that it's Not Dead Space and it didn't even chart in the UK this week... admittedly it'd be more surprising because it outsold W101's shipment rather than actual sales, but still.

HOW THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED?

The screen is god damn vertical there. It's not even like the previous MH spin-off where it is stationary combat.

You just discovered the greatest secret of smartphone games - people buy them play them for 10 minutes realise it sucks due to crappy controls and go to buy another nostalgia/big ip fueled spinoff ;)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Glad to see XIV doing great. Is the best FF since 12 at least, although apparently the japanese version is dry as fuck while the english translation is endlessly hilarious. Maybe I'll even get to play it today after the server adds!!

U wot m8 @ LP3. Thats a very loyal 34k of Lost Planet franchise fans you had there Capcom! Much like the "loyal" 26k of Megaman fans you'll also be going without going forwards.

6k zone again for WiiU. People still think this can bounce back huh.

Road

@gibbogame
Namco Bandai Bizare Adventure All Star Battle of JoJo sold 392k PS3 and was #1, #2 was FF14 with 184k units, #3 Lost Planet 3 with 34k

Next week JoJo sales: 3.92k

Great FFXIV numbers, it already outsold FFXI LTD, didn't it?

Yep:

{2002-05-16} [PS2] Final Fantasy XI (Square) - 63,958 / 162,435

Other releases:

{2003-04-17} [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: All-in-One Pack 2003 (Rise of the Zilart) (Square Enix) - 4,184 / 50,865
{2003-06-12} [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: Entry Disk (Square Enix) - 3,059 / 3,059 *
{2004-09-16} [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: All-in-One Pack 2004 (Rise of the Zilart / Chains of Promathia) (Square Enix) - 5,286 / 5,286 *
{2005-03-03} [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: Entry Disk 2005 (Rise of the Zilart) (Square Enix) - 744 / 744 *
{2006-04-20} [360] Final Fantasy XI: All-in-One Pack 2006 (Rise of the Zilart / Chains of Promathia / Treasures of Aht Urhgan) (Square Enix) - 8,561 / 15,754
{2007-11-22} [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection 2008 (Rise of the Zilart / Chains of Promathia / Treasures of Aht Urhgan / Wings of the Goddess) (Square Enix) - 4,600 / 4,600 *
{2007-11-22} [360] Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection 2008 (Rise of the Zilart / Chains of Promathia / Treasures of Aht Urhgan / Wings of the Goddess) (Square Enix) - 3,212 / 14,808
{2009-11-12} [360] Final Fantasy XI: Ultimate Collection (Rise of the Zilart / Chains of Promathia / Treasures of Aht Urhgan / Wings of the Goddess / A Crystalline Prophecy / A Moogle Kupo d’Etat / A Shantotto Ascension) (Square Enix) - 830 / 830 *

(* first week only sales available)

Majmun

I think that Mario Kart's performance will be the final test for Wii U's relevancy.

If that fails or underperforms, the console is over, me thinks.

I think that Mario Kart's performance will be the final test for Wii U's relevancy.

Mario Kart on the Gamecube did well though. I'm sure first party titles like that will sell well its the hardware sales that will disappoint.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Mario Karts sales will still be good since NSMBU still sold to like 2 million peeps. Double Dash sold at least 6 million when all was said and done. The 'peak era' where it was selling XX million is pretty much over I think though. Its going to have to have like some fucking over 9000% effect on hardware sales to 'save' WiiU as well.

Spiegel

So Jojo is the new One Piece Musou which was the new Hokuto Musou.

What's with Namco and their disappointing anime games. They have potential but always fall short.

FZZ

Banned

This is what I've been going with. Ever since I played the demo at E3, I've been saving my final judgement for the console after the game is released.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, the reception for JoJo looks terrible right from the start. Really makes me wonder what it would've sold if it wasn't. Still, I'm sure Namco is more than happy with a 400k start. Plus it sounds like one of the biggest negatives is all the monetization, and with 400k sales already Namco will at least make more money from some of those people.

Pie and Beans

Wasn't FFXI a big money maker and remains popular to this day, how is it that only sold 160k on the PS2?

Requiring an add-on to even get started with is a fairly steep barrier of entry, remember.

Glad to see XIV doing great. Is the best FF since 12 at least, although apparently the japanese version is dry as fuck while the english translation is endlessly hilarious. Maybe I'll even get to play it today after the server adds!!

U wot m8 @ LP3. Thats a very loyal 34k of Lost Planet franchise fans you had there Capcom! Much like the "loyal" 26k of Megaman fans you'll also be going without going forwards.

6k zone again for WiiU. People still think this can bounce back huh.

well there will be no PS4 this year in japan and there will be zelda, wii party ,wii fit, mario 3D world also nintendo sales tends to increase at the end of the year.

it will bounce back from 6k weekly.

Top Bottom