• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

Coxy

[NDS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental (Bandai Namco) - 86.105 / 104.757 / 82,19% 27/05/10
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God (Bandai Namco) - 81,214 / 110,846 73,27% 12/01/12
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥7.480) - 37.266 / NEW <40-60%>
[PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥6.480) - 18.356 / NEW <40-60%>

PS3 + PSV = 55.622

What happened, here?

they went with 3d animations

AniHawk

[NDS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental (Bandai Namco) - 86.105 / 104.757 / 82,19% 27/05/10
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God (Bandai Namco) - 81,214 / 110,846 73,27% 12/01/12
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥7.480) - 37.266 / NEW <40-60%>
[PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥6.480) - 18.356 / NEW <40-60%>

PS3 + PSV = 55.622

What happened, here?

maybe the ds audience that bought the first also had a psp. maybe the ds audience that bought the first eventually bought a psp once it was clearly the ps2's successor. maybe the audience got sick of the platform changes from entry to entry.

EDarkness

A price drop cannot save a system which is getting no support from publishers, retailers, and even the first party. There can't be a price drop before Nintendo gets their act together for a healthy stream of releases for the system, or it will be a total waste of a short momentum boost.

Seems like people have 0 confidence in the system. It has virtually no point. It's not getting any new games outside of Nintendo stuff, so if anyone was going to own a Wii U in Japan, my guess it's only the super hardcore Nintendo gamers. Everyone else is served properly with games and announcements of upcoming games. What has the Wii U got? Basically nothing. After TGS last year, it should have been clear that the Wii U was all but doomed in Japan. Not saying it's gonna pick up, but at this point it's gonna take a miracle of massive proportions to get people actually care about buying games for it. At least Gamecube owners actually wanted to play stuff.

I'm sure Platinum didn't loose much over this game seeing that Nintendo funded it. It just looks bad on their studio's commercial history.

Making bomb after bomb doesn't help them get contract to make games too. Why should i fund a platinum game when the ROI is basically negative?

Nibel

A price drop cannot save a system which is getting no support from publishers, retailers, and even the first party. There can't be a price drop before Nintendo gets their act together for a healthy stream of releases for the system, or it will be a total waste of a short momentum boost.

Mhm, but what other options are left? Hiring more people for more effective development?

I don't think Nintendo is doomed, but the Wii U itself is doomed - I just can't understand how they make mistake after mistake; did the Wii really destroy their perception of the gaming landscape or what

Maedhros

The sad thing is: it will sell this

ikgoJl72rlUdl.gif

many units in the rest of the world

Does this count as 4 or 5 units?

Oh and wiiu should have crossed streams with the ps3 this week. Vita did to horribly last fall for that to happen but maybe during the drought next year

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Let's put things in perspective.

A title like Mind 0, a very low budgeted Persona ti...err, RPG for Vita developed by Acquire, sold TREE TIMES what W101 sold in its debut

watershed

Banned
I haven't played the game so I can't judge definitively but from videos W101 looks fantastically fun. Too bad for Kamiya, Platinum, and Nintendo.

The Boat

I don't think first party is the problem here, they've been releasing a game a month since Wario if I'm not mistaken and they'll do so until the end of the year. the problem is 3rd party releases because a game a month isn't enough and it's impossible for them to keep up that pace for long. Baring a miracle, I don't see anything making non-indie 3rd parties climb onboard, there's very little hope for Wii U in my opinion.

Scum

i think w101 has always appealed to western audiences more than japanese audiences. it won't sell a ton in america, but it will outsell the japanese release (i think).

bayonetta 2 might reverse things slightly.

I think if Nintendo give a toss. Start showing it off now and it will probably help out. Leave it 'til two weeks before launch and it'll be doomed.

This is one of those "Japanese gaming is dead" moments, isn't it?
You should more worried about those hardware numbers across all platforms rather than an unpopular game in an unpopular system. 3DS will essentially be the only major console in Japan barring a TGS surprise.

I don't think first party is the problem here, they've been releasing a game a month since Wario if I'm not mistaken and they'll do so until the end of the year. the problem is 3rd party releases because a game a month isn't enough and it's impossible for them to keep up that pace for long. Baring a miracle, I don't see anything making non-indie 3rd parties climb onboard, there's very little hope for Wii U in my opinion.

Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, NSLU.....er even then these aren't the type of games wiiu needs from nintendo. There certainly is a 1st party problem

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Things known from before but confirmed today:

Pikmin 3 will be lucky to sell half of what Pikmin and Pikmin 2 did
M&L4 will be lucky to sell the initial shipent

Asd202

Let's put things in perspective.

A title like Mind 0, a very low budgeted Persona ti...err, RPG for Vita developed by Acquire, sold TREE TIMES what W101 sold in its debut

Also Kamiya said it's there most expansive game yet, financially it's a failure of Mount Everest size. Good thing it was Nintendo funded, or I'm wrong?

AniHawk

I'd hope so. Is Bayonetta a big seller in Japan? I can find the debut week sales but unsure of the LTD.

not a big seller. it did 206k (plus 22k with the rerelease) on the ps3. it hit about 195k on the 360 in america.

doing worse, the same, or simply slightly better than w101 will take effort on nintendo's part.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I've never experienced such an insane discrepancy between quality of game and numer of sales as is the case for poor W101.

I hope it at least finds some love amongst gaffers and lives on as a legendary underperformer in the enlightened cult :p

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do we have any numbers on the general ration of eShop sales / physical sales of Wii U games?

i think w101 has always appealed to western audiences more than japanese audiences. it won't sell a ton in america, but it will outsell the japanese release (i think).

bayonetta 2 might reverse things slightly.

There was a reason why other publishers didn't want to fund Bayo2.

I believe that nintendo funded bayo 2 to build cred, not move units.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I hope people will stop thinking that Nintendo Directs are a great way to make the public aware of games. They are not and they will never be.
Directs only help at reaching fans who are already interested in Nintendo products to begin with. They should be a complement to traditional marketing.

Not like TW101 had much in its favour, though. It's a very confusing concept that I believe would be better suited for 3DS anyway.

Scum

Mhm, but what other options are left? Hiring more people for more effective development?

I don't think Nintendo is doomed, but the Wii U itself is doomed - I just can't understand how they make mistake after mistake; did the Wii really destroy their perception of the gaming landscape or what
NCL is after 3DS profit at the mo, so effort goes into that instead of steering the WiiU boat.

Kickz

Called it, W101 gave me bad ViewtifulJoeXPIKMIN vibes.

Ok Ninty you know what to do,
Super Mario 64 U, ZELDA

SmokyDave

Absolutely. I love the cast and setting of the game. The current form of the game is how it should be.

If anything this game is cautionary tale. Releasing new IP and new gaming experiences is not the route to success in today's market (even better marketing would only have been a marginal improvement).
It's only a cautionary tale against releasing your new IP on the Wii U.

The only excuse that remotely has merit is 'marketing', and even then I struggle to believe that there are only 5-6000 Japanese Wii U owners that are 'hardcore' gamers. Most hardcore gamers don't need an extensive marketing campaign to know when a game is being released, just an internet connection.

First Weeks (by Famitsu):

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
The Wonderful 101: 6,663 (Wii U)
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

Is it a coincidence that there two biggest flops are exclusive to Nintendo home consoles?

I think gamers got worried about the title after playing the game due its complex nature

Agreed.

The only possible solution I can see to sell the system is to do a price drop - and I'm not talking about a small one, I'm talking about a crazy-ass 3DS level one, probably even higher than that

They failed to sell the system at a high price, they should drop the price so that the bad Wii U stigma will vanish - they've lost this generation it seems

Unbelievable perfomance, really :lol

Or they didn't find it fun. A lot of people do not find hard games fun.

When the top sells better than the bottom you don't think that's a "gaming is dead" moment? What types of things do you see publisher more likely to greenlight going forward given the figures?

No not really. Different people like to play different games and if it brings enjoyment to them then why not. Theres no decisive line between a "top" game or "bottom" game. Some people may see Conception as a bottom game yet I am sure there are fans that will buy a sequel.

Also the W101 will not discourage pubs from greenlighting fighting games. Just look at Platinums best selling game. W101 was just a badly marketed , unappealing game on a console thats struggling to do 10k a week.

braves01

Banned
Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, NSLU.....er even then these aren't the type of games wiiu needs from nintendo. There certainly is a 1st party problem

They should be working double time to get Pokemon spinoffs on Wii U once X&Y launch. Animal Crossing Plaza also makes me think they've already got the groundwork laid for that. Yeah, right now Wii U's not looking too hot from a commercal perspective, as much I like the upcoming lineup plus Pikmin, NSLU, and W101.

And again the decision to not make this a Nintendo All-Stars property was a mistake.

AniHawk

There was a reason why other publishers didn't want to fund Bayo2.

I believe that nintendo funded bayo 2 to build cred, not move units.

i was unclear. i meant that bayo 2 will probably sell better in japan than america, like the first game did. sex appeal works in america, but it REALLY works in japan.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've never experienced such an insane discrepancy between quality of game and numer of sales as is the case for poor W101.

I hope it at least finds some love amongst gaffers and lives on as a legendary underperformer in the enlightened cult :p

duckroll

It's first party's problem because out of all the factors affecting the WiiU, the first party is the only stakeholder who actually cares for the WiiU to succeed. It doesn't matter if they release 1 game a month if no one wants those games, or if that isn't enough to sustain the WiiU. If it's not working then they're not doing enough. They're not going to change the minds of third parties at this point, so if Nintendo wants to keep the platform afloat, it's entirely on them, anyone else in the equation would be fine with the WiiU just being discontinued, so its definitely not -their- problem.

That's the reality as I see it. If Nintendo doesn't think they can support the system all by themselves, then they have to face the facts and cut their losses. If they think they can, then they have to prove it.

shink

not a big seller. it did 206k (plus 22k with the rerelease) on the ps3. it hit about 195k on the 360 in america.

doing worse, the same, or simply slightly better than w101 will take effort on nintendo's part.

Will definitely be interesting to see how that one sells.

cafemomo

After Bayo 2 bombs too, who would still be willing to publish/fund Platinum games? Maybe Konami for MGR: Revengeance 2?

Nintendo seems to be quite happy with P*.

That being said, P* future looks kinda bleak now. Konami will still prolly contract them for MGR. I doubt SEGA will come back to them though.

Frodo

This.

Top Bottom