• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

AniHawk

Vita software, especially third party, is in a much healthier state than Wii U sw. Not just in Japan either.

it's about the same in america. there were only eight vita games released between january and june in america, and twelve for the wii u in that same time period. it gets really lopsided because of lego city undercover and monster hunter. if you take those two away, then wii u third party releases pretty much equal vita third party releases in the first half of the year (less than 100k).

Elios83

W101 is a waste of resources, it is so niche that it's hard to understand what kind of game it is and how it plays even while watching a trailer. They should have tried to make something with a chance to sell........the fault is on who greenlighted the game in first place.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I understand in the case of Mad World, but W101 is the most "Nintendo" game PG has done, the whole style and look definetly could pass at times from one of those wacky Nintendo IP (like Captain Rainbow). Maybe not in terms of gameplay but I think the looks suited well enough the audience.

Yeah, but Captain Rainbow opened at 6,361 and did 22,682 LTD by Famitsu.

I would argue that despite being made by Nintendo, that was also an audience mismatch.

It's kind of like some of the Kinect games Microsoft made or almost all of the Move games from Sony. Even though they were first party, they weren't a good match for their demographics.

Another example would be something like Banjo 360.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont understand how The Wonderful 101 could sell this little. I guess it would maybe be a few thousand higher if it released on Thursday (as most games do) instead of Saturday though, but still.

Also, i guess either the percentage sellthrough on the 1st shipment numbers for Conception II are wrong? It was reported that the 1st shipment for the 3DS version was 30k, but Famitsu says this:

Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.08.22} (¥6.279) - 5.432 / NEW <40-60%>

40% of 5.432 isnt close to 30k.

Hopefully this convinces N that you have to actually hype and market your game if you want it to sell. The idea that they hide most of what the game has until a couple months before release is stupidity at its finest. Where are previews for DK? Where are previews for mario? Its just retarded in directs are good ways to do it, and hopefully they relize this after this game.

If anything it will convince Nintendo that they should have added some Mario to all new games.

Scum

There isn't enough appealing first party support. That's a huge contributing factor I think. If we look at previous "failed" Nintendo consoles, they got by because no matter what, the first party stuff were so super appealing they could sell millions just off that. This time they couldn't deliver. Does that make more sense? I'm not saying that there are no first party games, but that it was done poorly and there wasn't enough of it to make up for the rest.

Oh. I see what you mean.
Perhaps, it's high time Miyamoto was dragged away from the boardroom and into a dev room...

ASIS

A price drop cannot save a system which is getting no support from publishers, retailers, and even the first party. There can't be a price drop before Nintendo gets their act together for a healthy stream of releases for the system, or it will be a total waste of a short momentum boost.
Exactly, problem is not the price, it's demand.

Code:
[U][B]Wii U Games With The Highest Debut Week:[/B][/U]

WIU	New Super Mario Bros. U					Nintendo	2012-12-08	170,563
WIU	Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate				Capcom		2012-12-08	110,149
WIU	Pikmin 3						Nintendo	2013-07-13	102,188
WIU	Nintendo Land						Nintendo	2012-12-08	78,461
WIU	Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online 	Square Enix	2013-03-30	36,454
WIU	New Super Luigi U					Nintendo	2013-07-13	27,312
WIU	Game & Wario 						Nintendo	2013-03-28	23,995
WIU	LEGO City Undercover					Nintendo	2013-07-25	18,077
WIU	ZombiU							Ubisoft		2012-12-08	11,226
WIU	Resident Evil Revelations				Capcom		2013-05-23	8,179
[B]WIU	The Wonderful 101 					Nintendo	2013-08-24	6,663[/B]
WIU	Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 			Koei Tecmo	2013-01-31	6,241
WIU	Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper	Koei 				Tecmo		2012-12-08	6,184
WIU	Tank! Tank! Tank! 					Bandai Namco	2013-02-21	5,513

The Boat

There isn't enough appealing first party support. That's a huge contributing factor I think. If we look at previous "failed" Nintendo consoles, they got by because no matter what, the first party stuff were so super appealing they could sell millions just off that. This time they couldn't deliver. Does that make more sense? I'm not saying that there are no first party games, but that it was done poorly and there wasn't enough of it to make up for the rest.
Yes, this I completely agree with.

LTWood12

14./00. [WIU] The Wonderful 101 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.08.24} (¥6.830) - 5.258 / NEW

Alys_Death.jpg

There are no words...

Oh and wiiu should have crossed streams with the ps3 this week. Vita did to horribly last fall for that to happen but maybe during the drought next year

The gap will close a bit next week, week 35 last year was miku and vita never went below 9k till week 40 after that with some other minor bumps in between.

Still should be a decent enough gap between them by the time mario3d comes out for it not to come close to crossing though.

Kid Ying

.... Wasnt expecting this... What a shame.

I bought on the eshop, so you can count one more. But had i played before, i probably would not spend that much money on it. Still, was cheering for it. To see it lose badly for lego is disheartning...

Fisico

[NDS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental (Bandai Namco) - 86.105 / 104.757 / 82,19% 27/05/10
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God (Bandai Namco) - 81,214 / 110,846 73,27% 12/01/12
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥7.480) - 37.266 / NEW <40-60%>
[PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥6.480) - 18.356 / NEW <40-60%>

PS3 + PSV = 55.622

What happened, here?

Franchise fatigue, the second game on PSP also had a bundle with the first one inside, only the ones who have bought the 2nd episode bought the third one and some of them probably weren't on PSV and didn't want to play it on home consoles.

It has nothing to do with 3D models (the two previous episodes were 3D too)

Frodo

Looking at new IPs sales it is easier to understand why Nintendo is trying to push Wind Waker, Donkey Kong and Mario for the rest of the year.

Now the question is, does Nintendo wants to lose money and try to revive the Wii U or is it okay with just letting it die a slow death?

liger05

Isnt the problem that titles like Pikmin 3 and W101 should of been titles to complement the already released big Nintendo 1st party titles. Instead they have been released to somehow try save a dying system.

It sold so well, Sega cancelled the sequel, dropped Platinum, and stealth released their final game as a budget title.

Again, talking about Japan here.

DMC4 sold 245K in the first week. And it's the biggest IP in the genre in Japan (If we don't count MGR which obviously was helped by the fact is a MGS spin off), Bayonetta, a new IP in the same genre did 200k+. How is that a failure?

DmC barely passed 100k in the first week...

If Bayo 2 was cancelled was mostly because Sega faced a huge restructuring and dropped any console development that wasn't their most succesful and fail safe IP's. It probably didn't do lot of money or maybe even Sega lost money in the end, but the game "in Japan" did quite well, considering the market.

W101 is an utter bomba in comparisson.

Mdk7

I'm ashamed of the reception of TW101.
This game is so awesome and deserved very very different sales (and reviews). D:

Holy crap the W101 bombed to hell and back.

Almost makes me want to pick up a Wii U just to buy it when it hits American shores. Really shows the kind of audience Nintendo has built over time.

Scum

Time to retire Iwata. Wasting your company's money on titles lile W101 is not smart business.
DragonSworne, pls. :lol
He' deserves plenty of blame but if anything, Iwata should go "Yamauchi" on his Board and retire them instead. He's needs to surround himself with ideas from Young Members on the Board and not the old bunch of gits he has now.

AniHawk

Isnt the problem that titles like Pikmin 3 and W101 should of been titles to complement the already released big Nintendo 1st party titles. Instead they have been released to somehow try save a dying system.

well kinda, yeah. they should have been holiday titles at or shortly after launch. the wii u did have a pretty good launch in japan though, so it's hard to criticize that. nintendo was better off saving the likes of game & wario and pikmin 3 for some holiday blitz instead of this one game a month thing.

Looking at new IPs sales it is easier to understand why Nintendo is trying to push Wind Waker, Donkey Kong and Mario for the rest of the year.

Now the question is, does Nintendo wants to lose money and try to revive the Wii U or is it okay with just letting it die a slow death?

Trying to revive the Wii U is a lost cause. Personally, they need to seriously consider not releasing SSB4 and the next Zelda on Wii U and think about converting the Zelda game and make it a launch game for their next system.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
G&W sold over 3x more than W101 in the first week: time to start reflecting on the big questions in life

saichi

W101 sells better than Conception 2 on 3DS... that's a small consolation.

Code:
[U][B]Wii U Games With The Highest Debut Week:[/B][/U]

WIU	New Super Mario Bros. U					Nintendo	2012-12-08	170,563
WIU	Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate				Capcom		2012-12-08	110,149
WIU	Pikmin 3						Nintendo	2013-07-13	102,188
WIU	Nintendo Land						Nintendo	2012-12-08	78,461
WIU	Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online 	Square Enix	2013-03-30	36,454
WIU	New Super Luigi U					Nintendo	2013-07-13	27,312
WIU	Game & Wario 						Nintendo	2013-03-28	23,995
WIU	LEGO City Undercover					Nintendo	2013-07-25	18,077
WIU	ZombiU							Ubisoft		2012-12-08	11,226
WIU	Resident Evil Revelations				Capcom		2013-05-23	8,179
[B]WIU	The Wonderful 101 					Nintendo	2013-08-24	6,663[/B]
WIU	Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 			Koei Tecmo	2013-01-31	6,241
WIU	Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper	Koei 				Tecmo		2012-12-08	6,184
WIU	Tank! Tank! Tank! 					Bandai Namco	2013-02-21	5,513

And also not the worst first week on WiiU! Within striking distance from RER!

It's a wonderful world we live in!

EDIT:
Flop developer plus flop console. What were you guys expecting?

double negative should get us a positive :(

At this point I am not so sure about the sales impact of 3D Mario World or Donkey Kong. Could be a lot worse for the Wii U than many thought. I mean isn't the install base the same or better than Vita? Yet they are not very active at all. It's like people bought Wii U's and now don't even use them.

DragonSworne, pls. :lol
He' deserves plenty of blame but if anything, Iwata should go "Yamauchi" on his Board and retire them instead. He's needs to surround himself with ideas from Young Members on the Board and not the old bunch of gits he has now.

I completely agree. Get rid of Miyamoto and Takeda.

They should be nowhere near a board room making business decisions.

I called it!
Wii U (and consoles specifically) are dying in Japan.
If a Kamiya game can't boost Wii U sales, or even get high up on the charts... then it's in deep shit.

Also, Target is giving me an advert for Xbox 1 on the top of my page....

>_>....

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Trying to revive the Wii U is a lost cause. Personally, they need to seriously consider not releasing SSB4 and the next Zelda on Wii U and think about converting the Zelda game and make it a launch game for their next system.

That would destroy any all third party relations Nintendo has. It's suicide. Wii U needs to survive this gen, Nintendo does not went to enter another console cycle with worst third party relations than it started this one with. Might as well leave the console business all together. Regardless how the wii u sales Nintendo needs to at least make sure some third parties are reasonably ok in developing for their system.

Top Bottom