• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

The Boat

Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, NSLU.....er even then these aren't the type of games wiiu needs from nintendo. There certainly is a 1st party problem
He said there wasn't 1st party support, there has been a game a month, that's all I'm saying. What are the types they need? Release a Mario Kart a month? Wario doesn't sell, but Pikmin could be a decent seller and NSLU is an expansion to Wii U's highest selling game, I see no problem with these releases. In the coming months, we'll have Mario, Zelda and DKC, 3 of their biggest IPs, I see no major problem with these choices. In fact, they're safe choices.

Usobuko

Banned
It's only a cautionary tale against releasing your new IP on the Wii U.

That's what I assumed too. It's a commercial failure that speaks more on Wii U as a platform than the game itself. Not that it won't face similar situation if it was available on other platform, just not to this extent. 5k.

Bayonetta was not a bomb. It even had its sequel in development until sega decided to go pc/sonic

It didn't bomb, but it didn't do well.

It was the best selling game Platinum made, but still didn't do well for them.

Platinum is just cursed when it comes to being able to successfully sell their games.

Let's put things in perspective.

A title like Mind 0, a very low budgeted Persona ti...err, RPG for Vita developed by Acquire, sold TREE TIMES what W101 sold in its debut
Vita software, especially third party, is in a much healthier state than Wii U sw. Not just in Japan either.

It's still rather shitty though, I feel bad for Platinum.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I honestly expect Bayonetta 2 to do worse than its predecessor, regardless of its (sure to be) quality.

Bayonetta opened over 200K so I think that's pretty much a given.

I mean it would have to open with basically twice what Pikmin 3 did to match its old performance.

Is it a coincidence that there two biggest flops are exclusive to Nintendo home consoles?

I think it's a pretty straight forward audience mismatch.

Anarchy Reigns and Mad World are rather similar, and Anarchy Reigns opened 5 times higher (though we're dealing with pretty small numbers here anyway).

EDarkness

It's first party's problem because out of all the factors affecting the WiiU, the first party is the only stakeholder who actually cares for the WiiU to succeed. It doesn't matter if they release 1 game a month if no one wants those games, or if that isn't enough to sustain the WiiU. If it's not working then they're not doing enough. They're not going to change the minds of third parties at this point, so if Nintendo wants to keep the platform afloat, it's entirely on them, anyone else in the equation would be fine with the WiiU just being discontinued, so its definitely not -their- problem.

That's the reality as I see it. If Nintendo doesn't think they can support the system all by themselves, then they have to face the facts and cut their losses. If they think they can, then they have to prove it.

I don't think they can do it. Better to get out now while they can and regroup. What they have now is going nowhere, but maybe they're too proud to admit it.

It didn't bomb, but it didn't do well.

It was the best selling game Platinum made, but still didn't do well for them.

Platinum is just cursed when it comes to being able to successfully sell their games.

In Japan? The game definetly did good enough.

Considering the genre and similar games like DMC, the game did well enough. Hell, it sold better than DmC...

Fabrik

Banned
That's what I assumed too. It's a commercial failure that speaks more on Wii U as a platform than the game itself. Not that it won't face similar situation if it was available on other platform, just not to this extent. 5k.

Given the sales, I think it would have bombed everywhere.

Pitmonkey

Such a shame - directly correlated with Nintendo's failures at CHOOSING not to market their products outside of their own bubble. As a huge Nintendo fan (and someone looking to pick this up) it's starting to get painful watching such blind arrogance portrayed by such a company.

Next week's software sales will see a huge boost due to Jojo.

Explain?

Next week's software sales will see a huge boost due to Jojo.

Yes, i was more talking of the vita sales being blamed on no holiday like they will get a big boost next week.

Also i hope the exclusive nintendo game directs less than a month before launch die. Nintendo directs are terrible advertising tools that dont get to the general public. And exclusive ones just split the numbers even more.

The Boat

It's first party's problem because out of all the factors affecting the WiiU, the first party is the only stakeholder who actually cares for the WiiU to succeed. It doesn't matter if they release 1 game a month if no one wants those games, or if that isn't enough to sustain the WiiU. If it's not working then they're not doing enough. They're not going to change the minds of third parties at this point, so if Nintendo wants to keep the platform afloat, it's entirely on them, anyone else in the equation would be fine with the WiiU just being discontinued, so its definitely not -their- problem.

That's the reality as I see it. If Nintendo doesn't think they can support the system all by themselves, then they have to face the facts and cut their losses. If they think they can, then they have to prove it.
I don't disagree entirely with this, just with the basis that there wasn't 1st party support. There's a difference between this being Nintendo's problem which is pretty obvious and the 1st party output being the cause of the problem though.

Are people really surprised? W101 will be lucky to sell 200k worldwide in its lifetime. The WiiU is toxic for new releases and W101 was going to bomb (although not this badly) regardless of platform.

faridmon

Sad to see W101 bombing. It seems traditional games aren't as sellable as its used to be. Also, the fact that WiiU is underselling didn't help either.

Hope for the best for Platinum.

Making bomb after bomb doesn't help them get contract to make games too. Why should i fund a platinum game when the ROI is basically negative?

Platinum is known for being great fighting game makers. What other independent fighting game studios are there? There games can sell for instance MGR and Bayo but I think they will be attractive to Sony, MS and Nintendo for making great exclusives for their respective systems.

Scum

Time to put the console on hiatus. Then again, at this rate, NCL already has...

Code:
05./00. [PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.08.22} (¥6.279) - 18.878 / NEW 
16./00. [3DS] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.08.22} (¥6.279) - 5.072 / NEW

At this point I think we can all agree that niche games tend to do better on the Vita that on the 3DS.

At the very, very, very least, it's safe to assume Spike Chunsoft will be on board the Vita boat for the foreseeable future. Laying the smackdown vs a new Nintendo-published game will probably prompt some cheers, even if the game itself bombed on its own shipments.

Hopefully this convinces N that you have to actually hype and market your game if you want it to sell. The idea that they hide most of what the game has until a couple months before release is stupidity at its finest. Where are previews for DK? Where are previews for mario? Its just retarded in directs are good ways to do it, and hopefully they relize this after this game.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Those are some horrible sales for 101. But meh, Platinum are probably indifferent about it, if Nintendo fully funded the game's production and distrubtion.

Code:
[B]FAMITSU HARDWARE SALES, WEEK 34, 2013 (August 19th - August 25th):[/B]

3DS - 52141
PSV - 12928
PS3 - 10772
[B]WIU - 7024[/B]
PSP - 4901
WII - 1117
360 - 177

Is this the new baseline now? Is Wii U going to stay at 7K?

Because that's quite a sharp post-Obon drop.

I didn't expect Wonderful 101 to do great, but it was a lot worse than I ever though.

This paints an ominous sign for things to come. Nintendo need to cancel all their Wii U projects and do them for 3DS before it's too late.

Swallow your pride and do the right thing or face the consequences

So why would anyone work with Platinum if they just can't ring up sales? Makes me wonder about that platinum and msft rumor. Though devils advocate says Nintendo and platniums relationship may not be good due to obvious lack of marketing so Platnium may be open to new partners...hmmm.

Horrible numbers though. Makes me wonder if it will hit 20k in the states...

I think it's a pretty straight forward audience mismatch.

Anarchy Reigns and Mad World are rather similar, and Anarchy Reigns opened 5 times higher (though we're dealing with pretty small numbers here anyway).

I understand in the case of Mad World, but W101 is the most "Nintendo" game PG has done, the whole style and look definetly could pass at times from one of those wacky Nintendo IP (like Captain Rainbow). Maybe not in terms of gameplay but I think the looks suited well enough the audience.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's only a cautionary tale against releasing your new IP on the Wii U.

The only excuse that remotely has merit is 'marketing', and even then I struggle to believe that there are only 5-6000 Japanese Wii U owners that are 'hardcore' gamers. Most hardcore gamers don't need an extensive marketing campaign to know when a game is being released, just an internet connection.

This I find surprising too. From 1 million Wii U's not even 1% to be aware of an upcoming game? I find that hard to believe. Even without marketing at all. You see it there when you open the eshop. I wonder how many did download the demo? It's like people bought an Wii U just for Mario and that's it. And then we wonder why is Nintendo releasing so many Mario games ...

First Weeks (by Famitsu):

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Viewtiful Joe: 93,563 (GC)
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
The Wonderful 101: 6,663 (Wii U)
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

Went ahead and added my boy Viewtiful Joe sold through his initial shipment of sub-100k in less than a week

Kamiya pls

duckroll

I don't disagree entirely with this, just with the basis that there wasn't 1st party support. There's a difference between this being Nintendo's problem which is pretty obvious and the 1st party output being the cause of the problem though.

There isn't enough appealing first party support. That's a huge contributing factor I think. If we look at previous "failed" Nintendo consoles, they got by because no matter what, the first party stuff were so super appealing they could sell millions just off that. This time they couldn't deliver. Does that make more sense? I'm not saying that there are no first party games, but that it was done poorly and there wasn't enough of it to make up for the rest.

Another Platinum bomba, I don't know how this guys can keep their passion to make games. Bayonetta 2 will bomb too, wrong platform.

Foshy

I understand in the case of Mad World, but W101 is the most "Nintendo" game PG has done, the whole style and look definetly could pass at times from one of those wacky Nintendo IP (like Captain Rainbow). Maybe not in terms of gameplay but I think the looks suited well enough the audience.

well
4d0RQ.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

You inspired me.

[WII] Captain Rainbow (Nintendo) - 6.361 / 22.682 / 28,04% 28/08/08
10./00. [WIU] The Wonderful 101 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.08.24} (¥6.830) - 6.663 / NEW <20-40%>

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Perhaps Nintendo should have market this game more rather than shoving mario 3d world/new super luigi things down our throat

GetemMa

Ugh. Poor W101.

The common gamer has such awful tastes.

Shame. Yet another PG classic to go unnoticed among the knee high levels of total dross.

Top Bottom