• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2012 (Aug 27 - Sep 02)

Takao

Banned
I dont know if SE is in a position to forfeit that PS3 FFX HD money, for some reason they dont plan to put the title on 360....but as a PS Vita only ? I wont care since i planned on buying it on Vita from the start, but this doesnt sound like something SE would do. With the right push the title could end up selling + million in Japan alone on both consoles.

I didn't say cancel the PS3 version. I said launch the Vita version first.

People will still be saying this a year from now, won't they?

Its cause theres misinformation going about as to why Capcom went the Nintendo route.
People don't seem to understand that Capcom's strategy essentially forbids the idea of a Vita version.

They want a single system that is affordable to develop for. They no longer want the split market of Sony/Nintendo. Add to this the fact that Sony do not support their handhelds (come at me all you want, but at least from Capcoms perspective they caused the PSP success, not Sony who sat on their backsides) whereas Nintendo created the best selling handheld of all time, one of the best selling systems overall of all times and DO support their handhelds.

There is zero value for Capcom to create a Monster Hunter Vita. Zero.

Capcom want the Nintendo audience to merge with the Monster Hunter audience. They want to sell to both groups, and they know that Sony is not a competitive company in this market place; to them, Vita is not a threat and Capcom's strategy isn't to make Vita fail, its that they believe it will.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I didn't say cancel the PS3 version. I said launch the Vita version first.

True, but i doubt Sony would be willing to pay or provide as much for SE to release a PS3 version later. But you never know...if a publisher can save the Vita its probably SE.

Laguna

Banned
I may be reading too much into it, but my understanding was that one of the big draws of Tales games were the high-quality video portions. That would follow post-FFVII games in focus compared to pre-FFVII games. Not that the PSP Tales spinoffs/remakes did hugely better than the DS "mothership" iterations, but the fact that spinoffs/remakes did significantly better than "mothership" titles (even if they were generally panned) says something about the fanbases on each console. I just don't attribute the fanbase differences to being mainly a Sony vs. Nintendo thing.

I agree to an extent. That PSP also got some ports of the mainline "Tales of" games while NDS got Tales of the Tempest may also be a reason why most were very cautious about Namcos efforts on NDS.

Takao

Banned
True, but i doubt Sony would be willing to pay or provide as much for SE to release a PS3 version later. But you never know...if a publisher can save the Vita its probably SE.

I don't think the PS3 version would be negatively affected much by releasing after. However, I suspect the Vita version would sell less if launched alongside the PS3 version, or after. I suspect SCE will release special commemorative PS3s, and Vitas too. Well ... assuming the thing comes out in a timeframe that can be linked to an anniversary, haha.

DCharlie

Banned
Its cause theres misinformation going about as to why Capcom went the Nintendo route.
People don't seem to understand that Capcom's strategy essentially forbids the idea of a Vita version.

They want a single system that is affordable to develop for. They no longer want the split market of Sony/Nintendo. Add to this the fact that Sony do not support their handhelds (come at me all you want, but at least from Capcoms perspective they caused the PSP success, not Sony who sat on their backsides) whereas Nintendo created the best selling handheld of all time, one of the best selling systems overall of all times and DO support their handhelds.

Capcom want the Nintendo audience to merge with the Monster Hunter audience. They want to sell to both groups, and they know that Sony is not a competitive company in this market place; to them, Vita is not a threat and Capcom's strategy isn't to make Vita fail, its that they believe it will.

Sony created several MH related PSP releases including an extended 9hour PSP for the release of MH3rdP - to say Sony "sat on their backsides" is more than a touch unfair.

I also don't fully buy that Monster Hunter -alone- saved the PSP - the number of Japanese games on the PSP is -insane- and it was already well on the way as well supported machine long before Monster Hunter popped up. Not saying that Monster Hunter didn't help - but the idea that it alone saved the PSP?

Now onto the "get on one platform" - Capcom -doesn't give a shit-. It's as simple as that. Capcom -absolutely will- support the Vita if/when it gets to an X million units threshold, there is no benefit to them not doing that when they get there (the "splitting the userbase" argument is a load of old wank - again, they don't give a flying toss. The more people they can sell to the better, plus there's the Tri/3rd etc differentiators to highlight them as being "different" regardless of how slight that maybe over time) .

I'm actually half expecting a PSP "3rd G" for the holiday period at this rate given the PSP is the machine everyone predicted to be dead by Q2 this year yet is seemingly impossible to kill and it would be an -easy- 4+ million seller.

There's no value to Capcom tying themselves to a platform outside of short term locked exclusivities - they are the power player here, not Nintendo. They know their IP is strong and they can do what they want with it. 3DS is absolutely the right choice for the moment, but i can honestly see another PSP game, a vita game, a (full) iOS game, a Wii U game, a PS3/X360/PC/PS4/X720 game...

ElFly

Sony created several MH related PSP releases including an extended 9hour PSP for the release of MH3rdP - to say Sony "sat on their backsides" is more than a touch unfair.

Yeah but that example only happened after the PSP was saved by Capcom. Sony was sitting on their backsides before that.

Lots of people come into these threads because they feel happy when the competitor of their favourite console is doing badly. Stating the truth is a different issue entirely. I'm sure that they enjoy the failure itself. Just comes with being extremely serious or interested about any topic really. Internet is full of this in any area, whether it is gaming, politics or whatever.

I tend to agree.

Kenka

11./22. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 15.689 / 109.939 (+264%)

SPOCK.gif

I'm actually half expecting a PSP "3rd G" for the holiday period at this rate given the PSP is the machine everyone predicted to be dead by Q2 this year yet is seemingly impossible to kill and it would be an -easy- 4+ million seller.
You've been pushing the PSP/Vita MONHAN SURPRISE for almost a year now. Doesn't it get tiring?

Sony needed IPs to protect itself (or at least launch some with the Vita) and sell its platform to make it attractive to devs like Capcom.

In the end Capcom quite rightly move on.

I also don't fully buy that Monster Hunter -alone- saved the PSP - the number of Japanese games on the PSP is -insane- and it was already well on the way as well supported machine long before Monster Hunter popped up. Not saying that Monster Hunter didn't help - but the idea that it alone saved the PSP?

It created an active userbase on the PSP for Japanese devs to engage with. This is what Nintendo does with its IPs; Sony didn't - why would Capcom go to them?

Now onto the "get on one platform" - Capcom -doesn't give a shit-. It's as simple as that. Capcom -absolutely will- support the Vita if/when it gets to an X million units threshold, there is no benefit to them not doing that when they get there (the "splitting the userbase" argument is a load of old wank - again, they don't give a flying toss. The more people they can sell to the better, plus there's the Tri/3rd etc differentiators to highlight them as being "different" regardless of how slight that maybe over time) .

Capcom don't believe Vita can be a success without Monster Hunter support though. Thats the point. If it starts selling well - they'll come running though, your 100% right. At the moment however they want to ensure their customers know where Capcom

Eh...no...how would it be an 'easy' 4m seller anyway? And why on earth would Capcom support both the PSP and Vita if it can make all its sales on the cheaper to develop for PSP?

Your not really thinking through that logic. Anyway, Capcom made 3G 3DS to build up the MH userbase on 3DS for when they bring out MH4 who they'll sell to traditional Nintendo customers and traditional Monster Hunter customers.

There's no value to Capcom tying themselves to a platform outside of short term locked exclusivities - they are the power player here, not Nintendo. They know their IP is strong and they can do what they want with it. 3DS is absolutely the right choice for the moment, but i can honestly see another PSP game, a vita game, a (full) iOS game, a Wii U game, a PS3/X360/PC/PS4/X720 game...

Well thats a lot of games, and Capcom are pretty happy keeping MH with a big profit margin. Its possible, but PSP? No, let it die; I don't see why you'd buy MH3G for PSP when its available for 3DS. Vita? Not unless Sony make it an attractive proposition as oppose to continuing to fully support the 3DS.

WiiU is possible. PS3/360 is just bonkers, PS4 is possible at some point sure.

muu

The worst thing Sony did MH-wise was not sit on the sidelines until they knew things were picking up, but that they implemented stuff that went against the interest of Capcom. People don't seem to talk about it much in the western forums, but it was likely a HUGE deal when they added Ad Hoc party as an official feature for the PS3. It's one thing when players are using X-Link Kai to play MHP online, it's quite another when Sony uses it as a feature to push sales of another one of its consoles. It's a huge plus for Sony since it increases the value of the PS3 as a device, but it eats in to the customer base that Capcom wants paying for Monster Hunter online services -- be it PS2, Wii, or PC. On the surface they've acted like they support the whole thing (I would probably do the same too, considering the bad PR you'd get if you went clandestine and block the feature from future releases), but I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting to jump ship at the earliest time available. And between that and talks of Sony starting the development of MHP3HD w/o Capcom's acknowledgement at first, it's not at all surprising for Capcom to be wary of future MH releases on a Sony platform.

The worst thing Sony did MH-wise was not sit on the sidelines until they knew things were picking up, but that they implemented stuff that went against the interest of Capcom. People don't seem to talk about it much in the western forums, but it was likely a HUGE deal when they added Ad Hoc party as an official feature for the PS3. It's one thing when players are using X-Link Kai to play MHP online, it's quite another when Sony uses it as a feature to push sales of another one of its consoles. It's a huge plus for Sony since it increases the value of the PS3 as a device, but it eats in to the customer base that Capcom wants paying for Monster Hunter online services -- be it PS2, Wii, or PC. On the surface they've acted like they support the whole thing (I would probably do the same too, considering the bad PR you'd get if you went clandestine and block the feature from future releases), but I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting to jump ship at the earliest time available. And between that and talks of Sony starting the development of MHP3HD w/o Capcom's acknowledgement at first, it's not at all surprising for Capcom to be wary of future MH releases on a Sony platform.

What? How does that make sense?

Laguna

Banned

Actually PSP releases decreased year by year after 2005 before the Monster Hunter hype started to reverse that trend.

Another factor in Nintendo vs Sony incentives is their reach. When Nintendo strikes a deal for MH, that means marching orders sent down the chain to their western subsidiaries and the end result is a formidable worldwide push. When Sony does it, thanks to their fragmented nature, you get some nice perks in Japan and SCEA blocking it's release in the US.

DCharlie

Banned
Eh...no...how would it be an 'easy' 4m seller anyway? And why on earth would Capcom support both the PSP and Vita if it can make all its sales on the cheaper to develop for PSP?

I'm talking about a holiday version for the PSP -only- - a G revision of MH3rd P specifically. No Vita version at all, just a nice PSP "finale" that would sell by the boat load. I don't think they'd particularly have an issue hitting 3-4 million sales.

Your not really thinking through that logic. Anyway, Capcom made 3G 3DS to build up the MH userbase on 3DS for when they bring out MH4 who they'll sell to traditional Nintendo customers and traditional Monster Hunter customers.

I agree that traditional MH customers will move for MH4, but the movement has yet to happen in earnest. Given i don't think we're going to get MH4 until the middle/late of next year at least, then i don't see any harm in a PSP version - especially if they give it a title like "MH3rd G Finale"

But ultimately yes - MH4 is where the big damage lies for Sony. They need to get as many compelling titles onboard as they can before MH4 hits.

Its possible, but PSP? No, let it die;

it's the machine that -refuses- to die! Sept Chameleon Club release list : DS 2 games, 3DS 7 games, Vita 10 games, PSP.... *40* games. I'm sure it's a royal pain in the arse for Sony wanting people to migrate over but the top and bottom of it is the platform isn't going anywhere. The other thing i've noticed here is the insane number of bargains available on the PSP. As long as you are happy playing on second hand UMDs you can build an insane library of games up for about $100 equivalent. It's the ultimate Japanese recession machine ;)

Run for Money has had larger increases. Like +968%. Edit: and +371% before that. Really weird.

a few weeks ago you couldn't find Run For Money anywhere in stores - completely sold out. The second hand copies were hitting as much as 7980 yen in some places as well. Then they restocked and everyone jumped on it. I should play it, it sits in the Backlog of Shame (tm)

donny2112

Once the bar has been moved though, I feel the new target platform has to meet that fanbase's expectations in order to generate interest from them.

Even if the Xbox 3 was far more powerful than the Xbox 1, that wouldn't really meet the Xbox 1's audience's expectations anymore.

I don't think I understand this part. Could you try to reword it?

test_account

XP-39C²
They already started shit on their own and hurt your bottom line several times, what makes you think this won't happen again if they're given the chance?
Do you have any examples of this?

Also source to the MHP3HD claim? MHP3HD is running in a PSP emulator (hence why cross save stuff is possible), so i assume that any PSP game would work in that emulator. I know the info about that Sony presented this to Capcom, but since it is an emulator, i dont know how this is anything negative towards Capcom, especially since the game sold like 400k copies.

I'm talking about a holiday version for the PSP -only- - a G revision of MH3rd P specifically. No Vita version at all, just a nice PSP "finale" that would sell by the boat load. I don't think they'd particularly have an issue hitting 3-4 million sales.
We already got the nice 4m PSP "finale".

it's the machine that -refuses- to die! Sept Chameleon Club release list : DS 2 games, 3DS 7 games, Vita 10 games, PSP.... *40* games.
Okay, now do a count minus the ADV/VN deluge, licensed shovelware and budget reprints. It's kinda like marveling at the Dreamcast post-mortem schedule, I'm sure it's impressive in it's own way.

Laguna

Banned
Here something interesting

Which system has the most games at TGS?

System: *This Year2007* (Last Year2006)
> NDS: *17.1%* (10.4%)
> Wii: *8.1%* (1.0%)
> PS2: *7.2%* (20.1%)
> 360: *4.9 %* (4.0%)
> PS3: *3.2%* (3.6%)
> PSP: *2.6%* (6.6%)
> PC: *0.2%* (0.4%)
> GBA: *0.0%* (0.4%)

DCharlie

Banned
We already got the nice 4m PSP "finale".

the point is a G revision would be an easy repeat - pumping out a G revision would be a) not a massive shock/borderline expected b) easy money.

Obviously there's platform movement considerations to take into account and <otherstuff> but hey, point stands it would be easy cash.

Okay, now do a count minus the ADV/VN deluge, licensed shovelware and budget reprints. It's kinda like marveling at the Dreamcast post-mortem schedule, I'm sure it's impressive in it's own way.

even with that in account, STILL more new releases than the others and October doesn't look like slowing down either.

Here something interesting

Which system has the most games at TGS?

System: *This Year2007* (Last Year2006)
> NDS: *17.1%* (10.4%)
> Wii: *8.1%* (1.0%)
> PS2: *7.2%* (20.1%)
> 360: *4.9 %* (4.0%)
> PS3: *3.2%* (3.6%
)

that X360 v PS3 is a bit (wibble) as well - though with no Microsoft this year i think that's the white flag on caring about Japan for the rest of this gen.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Releasing a portable Monster Hunter when MH 4 is coming relatively soon and MH Tri G is still selling makes zero sense.

Tiktaalik

Is listing the prices new? How did I never notice this before during all these years. Also holy shit are those prices high. Am I reading this wrong or is it 7329Yen for Hatsune Miku: Project Diva? That's $92 Canadian.

Takao

Banned
If there is any handheld monhun release this Xmas it'll be a best release of tri g

This is the first year ever without a new big MH:

2004 - Monster Hunter
2005 - Monster Hunter Portable
2006 - Monster Hunter Dos
2007 - Monster Hunter Portable 2
2008 - Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
2009 - Monster Hunter Tri
2010 - Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
2011 - Monster Hunter Tri G
2012 - ...
2013 - Monster Hunter 4

DCharlie

Banned
Releasing a portable Monster Hunter when MH 4 is coming relatively soon and MH Tri G is still selling makes zero sense.

tri G is 1980 yen in some places, 2980 yen new in most others (new) - it's maintaining 10k-ish sales on clearance. I don't think it has that much legs in it... unless....

Am I reading this wrong or is it 7329Yen for Hatsune Miku: Project Diva?

That's the RRP - welcome to the horror of Japanese games pricing (though Hatsune Miku has a "premium" price for some reason)

2012 - ...

well, there's clearly a few candidates that can fill that though right?

Laguna

Banned
that X360 v PS3 is a bit (wibble) as well - though with no Microsoft this year i think that's the white flag on caring about Japan for the rest of this gen.

PS3 released in the end of 2006 and X360 actually had more exclusives back then (just a few examples Last Odysey, Blue Dragon, Last Remnant, Infinite Undicovery, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean, Ace Combat etc.)

DCharlie

Banned
don't consider Puzzle de Airu, Frontier G, or Super Mega Ultimate Dynamic Hunting as major.

neither do i !

(still don't know why we've gone to Frontier G and not just Season <number> - hopefully G means "Graphics update" and not Great)

Thoraxes

Yay, the Vita finally broke half a million sold this year. I can hear the sounds of lost bets for the 3MIL vs. 500k people now.

Yay Soul Hackers and Senran Kagura! That game came out of nowhere with its popularity. NSMB2 crosses 1 million.

boiled goose

good with gravy
nice bump for Vita hardware and great miku sales.

My only worry is that no other software was bumped up. This (seems) to suggest that Vita was only for Miku and nothing else. Hopefully wrong.

the point is a G revision would be an easy repeat - pumping out a G revision would be a) not a massive shock/borderline expected b) easy money.

Obviously there's platform movement considerations to take into account and <otherstuff> but hey, point stands it would be easy cash.
It'd have been easy cash last year. If it was going to happen we'd probably know about by now.

Besides, PSP sequels have been down across the board. I think a theoretical 3rd G hitting 4m+ this holiday is very much questionable, particularly with MH4 looming just a couple months later.

even with that in account, STILL more new releases than the others and October doesn't look like slowing down either.
It wouldn't in fact. Even if we only look at new September releases (not discounting VNs and licensed junk) per system they're not too far off.

Nintendo DS
09.05 peakvox: MajiMajo (Fun-Unit)
09.27 Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (Bandai)

Nintendo 3DS
09.05 Hungry Burger (Arc System Works)
09.05 Rhythm Hunter: Harmo Knight (Game Freak)
09.06 Lost Heroes (Bandai)
09.16 PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2 (IREM)
09.13 Medarot 7: Kabuto / Kuwagata Versions (Rocket Co.)
09.13 Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd (Koei)
09.13 Shin Egokoro Kyoushitsu (Nintendo)
09.26 Denpa Ningen no RPG 2 (Genius Sonority)
09.27 Chibi * Devi! (Alchemist)
09.27 Kokuga (G.Rev)
09.27 Style Savvy: Trendsetters (Nintendo)

PS Vita
09.20 LittleBigPlanet PS Vita (SCE)
09.27 DJ Max Technika Tune (Cyberfront)
09.27 Earth Defense Force 3 Portable (D3 Publisher)
09.27 NextRev: Shakai Fukushishi Shiken (Media5)
09.27 Nobunaga no Yabou: Tendou with Power-Up Kit (Koei)
09.27 Ys: Foliage Ocean of Celceta (Falcom)

PSP
09.04 Gensou Chronicle (Kemco)
09.06 Lost Heroes (Bandai)
09.06 Sorairo Portable (Cyberfront)
09.13 Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei (Bandai)
09.13 Elminage Ibun: Ame no Mihashira (Star*fish SD)
09.13 Sucre Portable (Cyberfront)
09.20 24-ji no Kane to Cinderella: Halloween Wedding (Quinrose)
09.20 Akatsuki no Goei Trinity (5pb.games)
09.20 Final Fantasy III (Square Enix)
09.20 Hunter X Hunter: Wonder Adventure (Bandai)
09.20 Kiyoka no Ori: Hiiro no Kakera 4 (Idea Factory)
09.20 Tiger & Bunny: On-Air Jack! (Bandai)
09.27 Confidential Money: 300-Hi de 3000-Man Dol Kasegu Houhou (Idea Factory)
09.27 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate Portable (Kadokawa Games)
09.27 SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (Bandai)

Arla

I can't tell if all this praise is overreacting our sarcasm. It nearly quadrupled its HW numbers and still sold less than the 3ds. We all know next week the surge is gonna drop considerably.

Great soul hackers and senran kagura numbers.

Takao

Banned
I can't tell if all this praise is overreacting our sarcasm. It nearly quadrupled its HW numbers and still sold less than the 3ds. We all know next week the surge is gonna drop considerably.

Right now the goal for Vita isn't to outsell 3DS. It's to show a pulse. This is more than just a pulse, though it'll fall into a coma unless SCE somehow has some major heat for TGS.

Spiegel

We can praise the bump even if it's not going to last more than one week, you know. It's a great bump.

Kazerei

Banned
This is the first year ever without a new big MH:

2004 - Monster Hunter
2005 - Monster Hunter Portable
2006 - Monster Hunter Dos
2007 - Monster Hunter Portable 2
2008 - Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
2009 - Monster Hunter Tri
2010 - Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
2011 - Monster Hunter Tri G
2012 - ...
2013 - Monster Hunter 4

Tri G was announced just before TGS last year, so it's still possible to see Portable 3rd G this year
for 3DS

Takao

Banned
Tri G was announced just before TGS last year, so it's still possible to see Portable 3rd G this year
for 3DS

Having both the normal series and the Portable series on the same platform is more than just a little weird. Then again bringing the main series to a handheld when you have the Portable series is bizarre in itself.

Top Bottom