• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2012 (Aug 27 - Sep 02)

BasilZero

Pretty good numbers.

Hopefully we'll see the momentum continue with future releases and hopefully from announcements at TGS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
yes, i responded to your mocking prediction last year to Jonnyram that the PSP would be dead by March (?) and here we are... Sept and it's very much going absolutely nowhere in Japan. I can't seeing it last into 2013 but the early death noises were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong.

Except that you keep reading things the way you want this is the thread you tried to convince everyone PSP is still No. 1 in Japan. Who was right, who was wrong?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458974&page=5

You are calling me for mocking predictions? Give me a break, you gave good laughs with MH3G.

p.s. I don't like to dig up old posts but since you continue to tell the same fairy tale I made an exception.

ASIS

Miku is like P4G, will be a shot in the leg but this isn't going to be the #gamechanger sony needs to start moving mass amounts of units.

Too soon man, too soon

It proves that demands for handhelds is still alive and well, and its not just the 3DS that's by some miracle still getting solid numbers all around.

Sony still needs to work HARD on Vita, but this week proves that its not some form of an impossible task to do. The demand is not gone yet.

It proves that demands for handhelds is still alive and well, and its not just the 3DS that's by some miracle still getting solid numbers all around.

Sony still needs to work HARD on Vita, but this week proves that its not some form of an impossible task to do. The demand is not gone yet.

All it really proves is that there is demand for Project Diva and Persona, not that there is demand for Vita. Those fan bases would buy a 360 if new exclusive titles were released on that platform.

Edit: Beaten

Vita needs more software

TGS should deliver some reveals to stimulate sales in the future, Sony had better deliver.

If they can get, let's say.. 1 Miku size exclusive release on the Vita per month, for a period of 6 months or so, then they can probably raise the week to week sales average of the system (even when it drops) because there'd be enough software for people to want to purchase the system outside of brand new releases

This proves Project Diva is a pretty strong IP (on PSP it peaked at almost 400k!) and still, Vita was not able to bring its entire userbase, nor to make the brand grow.

sure, with 800k userbase, how could you pretend Miku would have had a 1:2 tie ratio ? lol

NSMB2 is selling lower than its predecessor, but "hey, DS had 2mln units more than 3DS compared" but the same situation is not considered when talking about PSP sales and Vita sales, lol again

Eh? They're pointing out exactly what your talking about. Its about the franchises.
Unless you've only just come in you might have noticed some games are up strongly on the 3DS, NSMB2 is low though, yes.

Miku is bucking the trend on the Vita, showing the strengths of the brand...
Am really not sure what your saying here...

Not really, he was saying Miku is a strong franchise, thus it sold what it did on the Vita, and yet those sales pale in comparison to the PSP sales - which is a silly statement considering the difference in install base.

Laguna

Banned
Not really, he was saying Miku is a strong franchise, thus it sold what it did on the Vita, and yet those sales pale in comparison to the PSP sales - which is a silly statement considering the difference in install base.

It may seem silly but Sega obviously doesn´t care for tie-ratios that much.

ASIS

This proves Project Diva is a pretty strong IP (on PSP it peaked at almost 400k!) and still, Vita was not able to bring its entire userbase, nor to make the brand grow.

All it really proves is that there is demand for Project Diva and Persona, not that there is demand for Vita. Those fan bases would buy a 360 if new exclusive titles were released on that platform.

Edit: Beaten

The console market is not in question (at least not yet). Furthermore, the demand of consoles depend on the software. All PSV needs are the games

sure, with 800k userbase, how could you pretend Miku would have had a 1:2 tie ratio ? lol

No one expected it, actually.
A small(er) install base, though, doesn't prevent to reach the same sales of entries on predecessor, i.e. Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy X, Persona 4 The Golden (sold more than PSP Persona porting).

test_account

XP-39C²
I'd rather say that it shows that Vita can have success as well. Otherwise you can say it the other way around with 3DS too, for example with Monster Hunter. MH is a strong IP, TriG sold ~1.5 million, but was not able to bring the whole MH userbase over, nor to make the brand grow.

I'd rather say that it shows that Vita can have success as well. Otherwise you can say it the other way around with 3DS too, for example with Monster Hunter. MH is a strong IP, TriG sold ~1.5 million, but was not able to bring the whole MH userbase over, nor to make the brand grow.

You know, that's a 350k brand against a 4.5mln brand, a bit extreme comparison.

I feel like this makes the assumption that Sony is willing to do this.

patapuf

I don't think anyone doubted that handhelds are alive in Japan. A big part of the industry there is focused on them.

The problems the Vita has there have little to do with it being a portable.

test_account

XP-39C²
You know, that's a 350k brand against a 4.5mln brand, a bit extreme comparison.
True, but the point is still the same i think. ~1.5 million copies sold VS ~4.5 million sold in the previous entry. This shows that a lot of people who picked up MHP3rd didnt bother with TriG, and the serie didnt grow at all.

Earlier in this thread i said that i think MH4 has a good chance to sell 4 million copies, so i dont think that TriG is much of an indication of the MH franchise in the long run. My point was just to show that it is possible to have focus on different things when discussing sales. We can have focus on that the Vita can have success, or we can have focus on how much less Miku F sold compared to the PSP entries. The same goes with 3DS and MH. We can focus on how MH4 will do great, or we can focus on how little TriG sold compared to MHP3rd. Both things are true, but the focus are different :)

No one expected it, actually.
A small(er) install base, though, doesn't prevent to reach the same sales of entries on predecessor, i.e. Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy X, Persona 4 The Golden (sold more than PSP Persona porting).
Yeah, userbase tends to impact different fanbases differently. It greatly impacts more mainstream or casual-friendly franchises though (GT and Mingol on PS2 vs PS3 being good examples) while games with more dedicated fanbases tend to not get hit nearly as hard (like MGS or Yakuza on PS2 vs PS3).

I think it's pretty easy to see which sides of that NSMB and Project Diva would fall on.

True, but the point is still the same i think. ~1.5 million copies sold VS ~4.5 million sold in the previous entry. This shows that a lot of people who picked up MHP3rd didnt bother with TriG, and the serie didnt grow at all.

Now, earlier in this thread i said that i think MH4 has a good chance to sell 4 million copies, so i dont think that TriG is much of an indication of the MH franchise in the long run. My point was just to show that it is possible to have focus on different things when discussing sales.

The comparions you're doing is unfair also considering that 3G is not a new chapter but an extended version of a two-year old game. Furthermore, we're talking about completely different sales numbers; it's way more likely to sell 300-350k on a 900k platform than 4.5mln on a 3.5mln platform (when MH3G was released, 3DS was still below that mark). That's also why Capcom didn't release 4 at first, but 3G.

TriG isn't a new game really though, it's basically the 4th version of MH3 and it's significantly outperformed it's projections. Can't really say the same for Project Diva f.

Even still the userbase argument for both hm and nsmb2 are bunk. As for tgs we have pretty much no indication still that anyone has anything even mid level to announce for vita. Like seriously announcements have slowed to almost nothing

test_account

XP-39C²
The comparions you're doing is unfair also considering that 3G is not a new chapter but an extended version of a two-year old game. Furthermore, we're talking about completely different sales numbers; it's way more likely to sell 300-350k on a 900k platform than 4.5mln on a 3mln platform (when MH3G was released, 3DS was still below that mark). That's also why Capcom didn't release 4 at first, but 3G.
TriG isn't a new game really though, it's basically the 4th version of MH3 and it's significantly outperformed it's projections. Can't really say the same for Project Diva f.
I'm pretty sure that MHP3rdG would have sold a lot more based on the sales of 2ndG, but that is just hypothetical since 3rdG doesnt excist and never will excist. My point was not to discuss much about the game itself however, and i'm not comparing the games to eachother either, it was just to show that it is possible to focus on different things.

Electroplankton: It took quite some time for MPH3rd to reach 4.5 million copies sold, so no one expected TriG to match this at day one. The 3DS hardware have also seen a very great increase in sales since the launch of TriG. There are over 7 million 3DS systems out there now, so it should be able to support more than 1.5 million copies of TriG. Why more people buy it could be for several of reasons.

But as you mentioned above here, userbase doesnt always mean that much, and you used Persona 4 Golden, an enhanced PS2 port, as an example of great sales. These things can also be applied to 3DS and TriG (even if it is not a brand new game, it is not a direct port of a previous game either).

But my point was not really about the sales and why things sells like this, only that the focus on the sales can be different.

I don't think its fair to say NSMB2 is underperforming if you consider all the circumstances around its launch and the launch of NSMB for the DS. At that time there were many multimillion selling games selling at the time of NSMB's launch period, all adding to the hardware sales creating the perfect synergy to help sell the game. As big as MH3G is, its total numbers is only as much as say English Training DS at that time. Everything else for the 3DS is tiny compared to the games that was out for the DS at that time like Pokemon D/P, BA, AC, etc etc.

The game will sell better as more multimillion selling games come out for the 3DS, as big as a system seller as it is, its also heavily reliant on a big userbase to sell. Looking at the 3DS landscape in terms of software, we're really only at the beginning of big IP's being released, I have no doubt the game's sales will end at a respectable number, to judge the games total sales based on its launch period is pretty shortsighted imo.

Kobitodzukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set has shipped 100k.
Its stuff like this that makes me enjoy sales-age, you never know whats gonna surprise you.

I'm pretty sure that MHP3rdG would have sold a lot more based on the sales of 2ndG, but that is just hypothetical since 3rdG doesnt excist and never will excist. My point was not to discuss much about the game itself however, and i'm not comparing the games to eachother either, it was just to show that it is possible to focus on different things.

Electroplankton: It took quite some time for MPH3rd to reach 4.5 million copies sold, so no one expected TriG to match this at day one. The 3DS hardware have also seen a very great increase in sales since the launch of TriG. There are over 7 million 3DS systems out there now, so it should be able to support more than 1.5 million copies of TriG. Why more people buy it could be for several of reasons.
If Capcom keeps doing this, they'll never transition the MH to the next-gen, the PSP is not gonna live on forever, they're basically sacrificing the short-term gain for long term gain, which should be in any company's best interests, especially in this industry where brands can diminish quickly for whatever reason and another brand takes its spot. Expecting 4.5M for TriG, no matter the userbase is stupid, its still basically an expansion pack at the end of the day. Lets also not forget Miku underperformed according to Sega's expectations and MH3G overperformed according to Capcom's expectations.

Kobitodzukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set has shipped 100k.
fIhha.png

mujun

The console market is not in question (at least not yet). Furthermore, the demand of consoles depend on the software. All PSV needs are the games

The PSV has a lot of games when you consider how far into its lifespan it is. It seems pretty obvious to me that while more games will help it's not the only measure needed.

BadWolf

The PSV has a lot of games when you consider how far into its lifespan it is. It seems pretty obvious to me that while more games will help it's not the only measure needed.

It is the most important measure, P4G and Miku are proof of this.

It's at ~180k sold on week one. I'm pretty sure Sega can ship 220k + 30k PSN downloads in the first month even if that means they won't have to ship more copies.
Nope, looking at Sega's IR information the 250k would be for "packaged games" only. They projected that amount for PDf at retail alone this quarter.

It's still an inherently flawed example due to franchise scale and fanbase though. Total userbase is likely going to impact a game like Monster Hunter to an incomparably greater degree than a game like Project Diva, so it makes little sense to use MH as a counter example in this context. And that's before we even get into the nature of the games themselves.

Laguna

Banned

They did the right move, while MH3rdG probably would have sold more, they would have faced some problems with MH4 if they didn´t build up a userbase on a next-gen system. Also MHTriG will probably sell around 2milion either way, which is a good result by itself. MH3rdportable sold about around 4,3 millions including the budget release but I hardly would take that as a baseline for its sales potential, that would be like taking FF7/8 as a baseline for Final Fantasy games or Super Mario Bros on NESs for the Super Mario games.

Quality =! Quantity. If those games aren't appealing to the mass market, its not gonna sell systems, which basically equals no games.

I'm not comparing the games up to eachother. It was not a counter example either, it was just a similar example to show where one could put the focus. If someone put focus on that TriG only sold 1.5 million copies on a 7+ million userbase so far, then this isnt a flawed example.
Its a flawed example because Miku relies on a dedicated fanbase that isn't that big, so a big userbase isn't needed to meet expectations, while MH3G is a massive game that relies on a huge mass market to meet expectations, so it does need a big userbase. The bigger the game, the more mainstream it is, the need of a big userbase increases exponentially.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's still an inherently flawed example due to franchise scale and fanbase though. Total userbase is likely going to impact a game like Monster Hunter to an incomparably greater degree than a game like Project Diva, so it makes little sense to use MH as a counter example in this context. And that's before we even get into the nature of the games themselves.
I'm not comparing the games up to eachother. It was not a counter example either, it was just a similar example to show where one could put the focus. If someone put focus on that TriG only sold 1.5 million copies on a 7+ million userbase so far, then this isnt a flawed example.

They did the right move, while MH3rdG probably would have sold more, they would have faced some problems with MH4 if they didn´t build up a userbase on a next-gen system. Also MHTriG will probably sell around 2milion either way, which is a good result by itself. MH3rdportable sold about around 4,3 millions including the budget release but I hardly would take that as a baseline for its sales potential, that would be like taking FF7/8 as a baseline for Final Fantasy games or Super Mario Bros on NESs for the Super Mario games.
It is fully possible indeed, i agree. This was not my point though. I'm just saying that you can put focus on that TriG only sold 1.5 million (on a 7 million userbase, which means that it could support higher TriG sales), while 2ndG and 3rd sold a lot more. Or you can put focus on that it is logical reasons why TriG sold like it did, and that MH4 has a big chance of selling a lot more. Both things are true, but the focus on the things are different :)

You can say this isn't a counter example or a comparison, but that's exactly what it is. And trying to divorce it from all reasonable context doesn't make it any less flawed or do your argument any favors.

It was a bad example, period :)

test_account

XP-39C²
If Capcom keeps doing this, they'll never transition the MH to the next-gen, the PSP is not gonna live on forever, they're basically sacrificing the short-term gain for long term gain, which should be in any company's best interests, especially in this industry where brands can diminish quickly for whatever reason and another brand takes its spot. Expecting 4.5M for TriG, no matter the userbase is stupid, its still basically an expansion pack at the end of the day. Lets also not forget Miku underperformed according to Sega's expectations and MH3G overperformed according to Capcom's expectations.
You can say this isn't a counter example or a comparison, but that's exactly what it is. And trying to divorce it from all reasonable context doesn't make it any less flawed or do your argument any favors.
It was a bad example, period :)
I think i worded myself poorly earlier because i agree with much of the counter arguements. But i'll try to explain better what i ment:

TurkishEmperor first said that the Vita had sales potential based on the increase Vita sales. Then Electroplankton counter argued this, saying that it only showed that Miku is a strong IP, and it wasnt able to bring the entire userbase over nor getting the serie to grow. Indirectly he said that these sales doesnt show any Vita sales potential.

Then i said that similar reasons could be used with TriG and 3DS as well. "MH is a strong IP, but TriG wasnt able to bring the entire userbase nor make the serie grow". I'm not using this as a counter arguement because i believe MH4 will sell great, i'm just saying that similar reason can be used. I'm not using this as a personal arguement.

What Electroplankton says isnt necessarily false, it could very well be the truth actually. But it shows that the focus was different. TurkishEmperor had focus on that the Vita could have sales potential, but Elektroplankton didnt.

Did this explain better what i ment? :) I'm not trying to sound rude against anyone here, i just wanted to say that it is possible to have different focus on the sales here.

Quality =! Quantity. If those games aren't appealing to the mass market, its not gonna sell systems, which basically equals no games.
Somewhat besides the point, but...

Appealing to the mass market doesn't necessarily equate to "Quality" either. Your avatar being just one example of this.

By choosing 3DS as platform they already decided to stay with PS2 level assets and skip chance to move it to next gen for mostly short term grab.

PS3/PSV crossplatform MH4 would sell well in Japan with PS3 userbase (even that shitty HD port sold well and Dragon Dogma also was one of better debiuts for new IP) and keep long legs on PSV (which would be selling at lot more than 10k weekly then ;) ) while giving them real shot at capturing western audience with fully developed multiplayer aspect.

Top Bottom