• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2011 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

BurntPork said:
And why won't 3DS stabilize? :/ I'm getting worried that the 20-30k naysayers are right after all. I guess it'll be in hibernation until November.
At the rate it's been going at it won't hit that 20-30K range till early to mid October. At that time won't there be a new color, the Pink 3DS? That should give the 3DS a boost till when the heavy hitting software hits in Novemeber.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, it's not like Symphonia happened because they were having problems selling Tales on PlayStation.

True, but maybe now they're seeing that concentrating main efforts on a single console ( a Sony console ) can be much more profitable than spreading mothership titles on all platforms... let's see.
IMHO, the Tales of brand is the most difficult brand to have for Iwata: simply, so far, main titles do a lot better on Sony consoles.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2011.09.22}

[3DS] Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei <ACT> (Marvelous Entertainment) (¥5.980)
[3DS] Frogger 3D <ACT> (Konami) (¥3.980)

[PSP] Busou Shinki: Battle Masters Mk. 2 <ACT> (Konami) (¥5.800)
[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 6 <ACT> (Konami) (¥5.250)
[PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥2.990)

[WII] Champion Jockey: Gallop Racer & G1 Jockey <TBL> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.140)

[PS3] Dark Souls <RPG> (From Software) (¥7.800)
[PS3] ICO <ADV> (SCE) (¥3.980)
[PS3] Shadow of the Colossus <ADV> (SCE) (¥3.980)
[PS3] ICO / Shadow of the Colossus Limited Box <ADV> (SCE) (¥6.980)
[PS3] To Heart 2 DX Plus # <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥8.379)
[PS3] To Heart 2 DX Plus [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Aqua Plus) (¥12.075)
[PS3] Shadows of the Damned <ADV> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[PS3] Champion Jockey: Gallop Racer & G1 Jockey <TBL> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.560)

[360] Gears of War 3 # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥7.140)
[360] Gears of War 3 [Limited Edition] <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥8.190)
[360] Gears of War 3 [Epic Edition] <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥15.540)
[360] Gears of War 3 [Limited Edition with 320GB Xbox 360] <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥39.800)
[360] Shadows of the Damned <ADV> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[360] Champion Jockey: Gallop Racer & G1 Jockey <TBL> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.560)

Lord_Byron28 said:
At the rate it's been going at it won't hit that 20-30K range till early to mid October. At that time won't there be a new color, the Pink 3DS? That should give the 3DS a boost till when the heavy hitting software hits in Novemeber.

I suspect the pre-TGS announcements, whatever comes at TGS, the continued pricedrop effect and the new colour will be enough to keep things moving until the bombs start dropping in November.

Laguna said:
Not sure if you are serious. But the biggest difference is everyone expected that the PS3 would get all the JRPG love in Japan and in fact pre release FF13 and FF13Versus were announcend and footage was shown pretty early on, also it got most of the popular JRPG franchises like Star Ocean and new ones. plus - let´s not forget 2 Tales of games before Xilia. So it´s no surprise that a JRPG fanbase was built on PS3 rather than on Wii that got niche and scurille things like Opoona to built a fanbase before a Tales of Spin-off debuted on Wii. You can compare it with the MH clones that wouldn´have sold so much if there wasn´t MH on that system that actually built up a fanbase for that kind of games with FF13+Versus beeing MH and "Tales of" beeing God Eater.

Half-serious. Seems like Vita's hardware would be better for playing Monster Hunter, and it's one of those franchises where the better graphics would benefit. Plus it's the successor to the PSP. I could see MH3G getting ported to Vita and doing better than on the 3DS. Probably won't happen though.

noobie

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
A lot of Tales fans are fans of RPGs in general and are the hardcore otaku gamer type who like things like the PS3 and 360.

The PS3 was still getting big RPGs like FFXIII and Versus, had niche RPGs like Gust and NIS games, and ToV coming to the PS3 probably only helped people to settle more. It's pretty reasonable to think people who would be into Tales have a PS3 and never really left, even though handhelds got a lot of RPG support from developers and consumers. Tales is one of the series where it's popularity on consoles didn't translate as well to handhelds compared to a number of other RPG series (though I feel that's partly due to the PSP getting nothing but ports and spinoffs, and the DS getting half-assd Tales games for years, but whatever).

i beg to differ... most people dont buy a console in advance.. rather i think hardcore gamers will wait for their favourite game to launch so that they can buy special console bundles rather than buy a console well in advance.. Just my opinion...
So i believe PS3 getting original (no port, remake) Tales game so late in gen and getting so high sales is really amazing and totally unthinkable..

randomkid

Hmm, undercurrent to some of the discussion here is that third parties should have released RPGs on the PS3 to create an environment like the PS2 had. So I'm curious, what are non-port/remake RPG sales like on all the current-gen systems? I can only really think of Inazuma, Ni no Kuni, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts, maybe Yakuza if you count it and now Xillia that've broken 500K. How many games have even broken 200K? That's where Atlus and NIS seem to stall at right?

I guess I'm not really talking about Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter clones here, but I'm still curious what other third party successes there've been like in the PS2 days.

EDIT: Whoops and FF13 and DQ9 and I guess the DQ Joker games, duh.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Spiegel said:
Hehehehe

Last MH release on Sony systems?

MH surely is going out of PS Systems with a bang!

Still believe the brand will appear on Vita

Instro

Wow, great opening for Tales.

Will be interesting to see how the announcements and MH commercials affect 3DS sales in the coming weeks.

wrowa

Truth101 said:
If Nintendo's smart they will offer a transfer tool. But they might have shot temselves into the feet :)P) with the copy restrictions of online-capable games on the Wii.

KingDizzi

Banned
Spiegel said:
Hehehehe

Last MH release on Sony systems?

Could very well me, still stick with the thought that for the real money maker, in this case the MHP games there is no point in splitting the userbase. The console MH games mean shit all, they can go on every system under the sun because they don't have the appeal of the portable games for an obvious reason. It will pass 5 million though so yeah, least the franchise left with a bang at least for the forseeable future.

Does anyone know the average salary is in Japan? Just that for the big games the prices are fucking ridiculous, Xillia for example is £66!

Wow PS3 broke 7 million units in Japan. The grand canyon that used to seperate Wii and PS3 is now just the Los Angeles river.

la_river6.jpg

noobie

Banned
What will be the above expectation, expected and below expectation 2nd week numbers for TOX?

what did other Tales of game did on PS3 in Second week.?
and what MGS 4, GT5, RE5 Second week sales? (i think all these games did around 500k on PS3)?

Rolf NB

When was the 3DS tumor confirmed? Should we expect to see a hardware sales impact? Are we seeing a hardware sales impact?

DGRE

Banned
M.I.S. said:
| DSiLL | 2.882 | 3.177 | 19.076 | 297.409 | 857.360 | 2.244.992 |
| DSi | 1.957 | 2.453 | 16.345 | 258.178 | 618.777 | 5.801.902 |
| DSL | 51 | 80 | 4.328 | 20.048 | 161.210 | 18.093.970 |
Well, looks like DS weekly sales have finally collapsed with a record 32.726.335 LTD (and counting) achieved in record time.

Not bad for a 3rd pillar eh? ("if even 10% of our audience like this" etc)
Again, this is a great sign that Nintendo has finally done something right with the 3DS. [/QUOTE]

They've managed to kill off the DS market much faster than the PS3 did the PS2, yet people are still convinced this is Nintendocalypse.

Busaiku

DGRE said:
They've managed to kill off the DS market much faster than the PS3 did the PS2, yet people are still convinced this is Nintendocalypse.
PS3 didn't kill off PS2 because PS2 was still getting some notable exclusives into 2009.
And then it also got a bunch of the multiplatform stuff too.

Stumpokapow said:
it has already outsold either version of symphonia (although not combined)

Interesting. Maybe we should reverse that, huh? It's more than that, it just has that "right game at the right time" feel about it that ToS enjoyed here in 2004 as well.

Road

RamzaIsCool said:
This might be one of the best PS3 software weeks till date, right? I think the FF13 launch week ranks higher, but are there better weeks software wise then this? The top 4 is like 660k combined.
From what I looked, I don't think there are.

2011-03-22 is the 2nd highest based on the Famitsu top 30 sales, but either the MC or Famitsu top put it just over 500k with the games that charted. This week the MC top 20 amounts to 681k.

Busaiku said:
PS3 didn't kill off PS2 because PS2 was still getting some notable exclusives into 2009.
And then it also got a bunch of the multiplatform stuff too.
The PS3 didn't kill off the PS2 because it was not fully backwards compatible and was much more expensive.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
perfectchaos007 said:
Wow PS3 broke 7 million units in Japan. The grand canyon that used to seperate Wii and PS3 is now just the Los Angeles river.

la_river6.jpg

This is not really accurate.

PS3 Week 30: 938k to Wii's 2563k (1625k lead)
PS3 Week 60: 1673k to Wii's 4618k (2945k lead)
PS3 Week 90: 2276k to Wii's 6510k (4234k lead)
PS3 Week 120: 2862 / 7853 (4991)
PS3 Week 150: 3541 / 8534 (4993)
PS3 Week 180: 10214 / 5024 (5190)
PS3 Week 210: 10793 / 5625 (5168)
PS3 Week 240: 11627 / 6491 (5136)

So basically at its peak, the Wii-PS3 gap was ~5200k. It's currently 4754k (we're around week 260 now). The gap has shrunk by about 10%. I don't think the difference between the grand canyon and the LA river is 10%. If it was a Grand Canyon before, it's a Grand Canyon now.

Now, if you want to talk "active buying base" or "software buying base" or ask "Is the PS3 still a non-viable system?" or even "percentage difference in hardware install bases", then sure, the gap is closed. Just like the gap closed between the PSP and the DS three years ago. Even though the DS was still selling better, the PSP reached a critical mass beyond which it was basically safe.

But in absolute terms, the PS3 has shaved off relatively little of the Wii's lead until now.

Road

Code:
Media Create

Highest home console first week:

1,501,964  [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII                       (Square Enix) {2009.12.17}
  934,739  [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii                (Nintendo)    {2009.12.03}
  819,647  [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl                  (Nintendo)    {2008.01.31}
  593,576  [WII] Mario Kart Wii                           (Nintendo)    {2008.04.10}
  525,605  [PS3] Tales of Xillia                          (Bandai Namco){2011.09.08}

Highest home console first week - 3rd parties:

1,501,964  [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII                       (Square Enix) {2009.12.17}
  525,605  [PS3] Tales of Xillia                          (Bandai Namco){2011.09.08}
  520,138  [WII] Monster Hunter 3                         (Capcom)      {2009.08.01}
  464,926  [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami)      {2008.06.12}
  385,295  [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage       (Koei)        {2010.03.25}

I also want to point out that the idea that the DS was cannibalizing the 3DS marketshare never really happened either. The DS dropped off pretty quickly after the 3DS hit, at launch it was hovering around 20k and by June just 10k. The PSP was what was having an impact on 3DS sales.

Rpgmonkey

noobie said:
i beg to differ... most people dont buy a console in advance.. rather i think hardcore gamers will wait for their favourite game to launch so that they can buy special console bundles rather than buy a console well in advance.. Just my opinion...
So i believe PS3 getting original (no port, remake) Tales game so late in gen and getting so high sales is really amazing and totally unthinkable..

I wasn't saying these people bought it early while waiting for Tales games though, they bought it because there was already other stuff that interested them available or coming soon (soon as in within a month at the most, not people getting a PS3 years before FFXIII was coming or whatever crazy things some people do), Tales was just icing on the cake and the parts of the fanbase that didn't already have a PS3 probably started to jump in once Tales games began getting ported to it.

This is kinda dragging into why Xillia sold like it did when I was mostly just trying to say why I think and agree that a lot of people within the Tales demographics never "left consoles" for handhelds, so while I agree there was a very significant portion who were just happy to finally get another higher tier RPG for the PS3, I also think that the kind of people really interested in Tales games aren't the type that migrated away from consoles in the first place, especially when even the 360 and Wii Tales games have done comparable numbers to a lot of the DS/PSP Tales games.

Road

Tales of Xillia is Bandai and Namco's 2nd highest first week ever:

Code:
Famitsu
Bandai Namco by first week:

{1998-03-26} 671,886 / 1,186,119 /57%   -[PS1] Tekken 3                 (Namco)
{2011-09-08}      ?  /        ?  / ?    -[PS3] Tales of Xillia          (Bandai Namco)
{2002-11-28} 498,142 /   762,861 /65%   -[PS2] Tales of Destiny 2       (Namco)
{1997-12-23} 450,099 /   829,618 /54%   -[PS1] Tales of Destiny         (Namco)
{2005-02-10} 413,628 /   642,424 /64%   -[PS2] Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (Bandai)

Loudninja

Road said:
Tales of Xillia is Bandai and Namco's 2nd highest first week ever:

Code:
Famitsu
Bandai Namco by first week:

{1998-03-26} 671,886 / 1,186,119 /57%   -[PS1] Tekken 3                 (Namco)
{2011-09-08}      ?  /        ?  / ?    -[PS3] Tales of Xillia        (Bandai Namco)
{2002-11-28} 498,142 /   762,861 /65%   -[PS2] Tales of Destiny 2       (Namco)
{1997-12-23} 450,099 /   829,618 /54%   -[PS1] Tales of Destiny         (Namco)
{2005-02-10} 413,628 /   642,424 /64%   -[PS2] Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (Bandai)
That really is incredible.

noobie

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
I wasn't saying these people bought it early while waiting for Tales games though, they bought it because there was already other stuff that interested them available or coming soon (soon as in within a month at the most, not people getting a PS3 years before FFXIII was coming or whatever crazy things some people do), Tales was just icing on the cake and the parts of the fanbase that didn't already have a PS3 probably started to jump in once Tales games began getting ported to it.

This is kinda dragging into why Xillia sold like it did when I was mostly just trying to say why I think and agree that a lot of people within the Tales demographics never "left consoles" for handhelds, so while I agree there was a very significant portion who were just happy to finally get another higher tier RPG for the PS3, I also think that the kind of people really interested in Tales games aren't the type that migrated away from consoles in the first place, especially when even the 360 and Wii Tales games have done comparable numbers to a lot of the DS/PSP Tales games.

I think you do have a point.. just like XBOX userbase in US is highly shooter centric.. all shooter games do much much better on XBOX... i sometime believe that even if Gears of Wars is released on PS3 exclusively even then it wont do comparable numbers to XBOX...

matmanx1

Wow @ Xillia! That's about 100k higher than I had come into the thread expecting and you can bet that there are cigars and champagne flowing in the NB offices this week.

Tales games are so frontloaded I would be surprised if Xillia hits 800k lifetime in Japan but the user reviews and marketing have been really great for Xillia so it might surprise me. I also hope this means that USA and Europe will be seeing ToX sometime in the future to assist in the "Great Tales Revival".

And I guess there really weren't all that many of the "X" Edition bundles produced after all. I'm sure there are still some out there for sale and I'm also sure that not every person who bought a PS3 this week bought an "X" Edition but I guess >50k is a really safe assumption at this point.

TheNatural

My Member!
Stumpokapow said:
This is not really accurate.

PS3 Week 30: 938k to Wii's 2563k (1625k lead)
PS3 Week 60: 1673k to Wii's 4618k (2945k lead)
PS3 Week 90: 2276k to Wii's 6510k (4234k lead)
PS3 Week 120: 2862 / 7853 (4991)
PS3 Week 150: 3541 / 8534 (4993)
PS3 Week 180: 10214 / 5024 (5190)
PS3 Week 210: 10793 / 5625 (5168)
PS3 Week 240: 11627 / 6491 (5136)

So basically at its peak, the Wii-PS3 gap was ~5200k. It's currently 4754k (we're around week 260 now). The gap has shrunk by about 10%. I don't think the difference between the grand canyon and the LA river is 10%. If it was a Grand Canyon before, it's a Grand Canyon now.

Now, if you want to talk "active buying base" or "software buying base" or ask "Is the PS3 still a non-viable system?" or even "percentage difference in hardware install bases", then sure, the gap is closed. Just like the gap closed between the PSP and the DS three years ago. Even though the DS was still selling better, the PSP reached a critical mass beyond which it was basically safe.

But in absolute terms, the PS3 has shaved off relatively little of the Wii's lead until now.

Yeah Wii is like Secretariat at the Belmont, and the PS3 is like the place horse cutting it from 40 lengths to 35 or something.

Plus, who knows how the holidays will go. Wii still has this Dragon Quest compilation coming out soon, Kirby, and then Zelda. I'm not sure what the PS3's big seller for Japan is this holiday looking at the lineup. Metal Gear Solid compilation maybe? Wii can still make up ground this year for the holidays.

KingDizzi

Banned
TheNatural said:
Yeah Wii is like Secretariat at the Belmont, and the PS3 is like the place horse cutting it from 40 lengths to 35 or something.

Plus, who knows how the holidays will go. Wii still has this Dragon Quest compilation coming out soon, Kirby, and then Zelda. I'm not sure what the PS3's big seller for Japan is this holiday looking at the lineup. Metal Gear Solid compilation maybe? Wii can still make up ground this year for the holidays.

Err FF isn't the biggest franchise out there but if FFXIII-2 does not pass at least 1M something will have gone very wrong. Ni no Kuni might do decent numbers but not too sure about that one, it's a console L5 game after all.

TheNatural

My Member!
KingDizzi said:
Err FF isn't the biggest franchise out there but if FFXIII-2 does not pass at least 1M something will have gone very wrong. Ni no Kuni might do decent numbers but not too sure about that one, it's a console L5 game after all.

I didn't even know it was coming out this year in Japan, that would definitely be the big game then.

hsukardi

As I remember, PS3 basically has a good/big game coming out every week/2 weeks till end of this year. Dark Souls, Ni no Kuni, FFXIII-2, Musou etc.

donny2112

Mpl90 said:
the Tales of brand is the most difficult brand to have for Iwata: simply, so far, main titles do a lot better on Sony consoles.

When Tales of Graces came out the week before FFXIII, someone (edit: Bebpo, I think) was putting forward a theory that Tales is a follow-on title for the Final Fantasy base. They're complementary instead of competitors, so having them both on the same system would be the ideal arrangement or something like that. Definitely makes sense here. If that is the case, then if Wii U gets a multi-platform FFXV, then it would help with a multi-platform Tales, too. Still probably wouldn't be as strong as the main Final Fantasy home (PS; see FFXIII in U.S.), but it would be a much better situation than Graces.

Truespeed

hirokazu said:
So... did PS3 get to 7m first, or did 360 get to 1.5m first? :p

Based on those numbers the PS3 was selling at around 386 units per hour compared to 7 for the 360. Based on the average of sales per hour, the PS3 crossed the 7 million mark about 3 1/2 hours before the 360.

Truespeed

uchihasasuke said:
anyone thinks the PSP could pass the PS2's LTD? it looks pretty close.
also, what was the PS2 LTD when the PS3 came out?

Nope. Unless the PSP can prevent what the 3DS is doing to NDS sales when the Vita is released.

Top Bottom