• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
MH4 will outsell Pokemon imo, just because of the 1 month head start it has. I don't see Pokemon overtaking it any time soon.

I think this is likely the case, there's no reason for them not to include them.

Do we know if publishers always have instant access to this? There could be a reason for not including digital sales: Not knowing them. Digital sales are sales toward Nintendo and then Nintendo informs and pays the publisher, as far as a I know, no? So depending on when Nintendo informs them, they could potentially not have known the dl numbers yet. However, I'm not sure I'm correct here :).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Do we know if publishers always have instant access to this? There could be a reason for not including digital sales: Not knowing them. Digital sales are sales toward Nintendo and then Nintendo informs and pays the publisher, as far as a I know, no? So depending on when Nintendo informs them, they could potentially not have known the dl numbers yet. However, I'm not sure I'm correct here :).

But the eshop charts update very often, at least once a day
And we know that MH4 has already surpassed New mario 2 for example
So, I think that N could pass the real number to Capcom very easily

Nintendo doesn't give away eShop numbers to the public easily but I'm sure Capcom would have access to it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nintendo doesn't give away eShop numbers to the public easily but I'm sure Capcom would have access to it.

I think that they gave New Mario % sales back in the days, so we came up to understand that it sold around 150K digitally in Japan, is that correct? I'm not sure...having that number would alllow us to know that MH4 have sold more than that on the eshop

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Where's Famitsu separate report about MH4 and 3DS hardware? They didn't post it yet.

Elfteiroh

Well, the Toki Tori Devs twitted about a VERY big increase in their sales the day after the Toki Tori 2+ update and the start of the special sale. They also gave a precise percentage, so I would assume they actually have some kind of account where they can see daily sales or something?

I'm still not an approved Dev, so I don't know the specifics, but it seems like a logical assumption.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
which could be the MC/Famitsu numbers in your opinion?
considering: 2 days only tracked, digital cards, direct digital sales, shipments, and so on...

2 million is quite a bit more than expected. I guess having it digitally also helps. But I'm more interested in sell through figures that we get tomorrow. That way we'll know how much the initial shipment was. Also interested in seeing 3DS figures.

All developers have instant access to their eShop sales.

My logic stems from the fact that 3DS eShop developers have discussed the comprehensive sales history of their titles right here on NeoGAF as it happened.

I believe sales are even distinguished by 3DS eShop region.

Also, sinobi is talking about how the retail version of Monster Hunter 4 has become "utterly destroyed," (壊滅状態), a re-shipment between the 19th and the 20th is a "certainty" (確実), it appears to have driven 3DS sales, and other fun tidbits about its comparison to other super-performing titles like Monster Hunter 3G / Mario Kart 7 / New Super Mario Bros. 2.

DrWong

All developers have instant access to their eShop sales.

My logic stems from the fact that 3DS eShop developers have discussed the comprehensive sales history of their titles right here on NeoGAF as it happened.

I believe sales are even distinguished by 3DS eShop region.

Yep. It's the minimum when you're running a digital gaming business: be able to manage your sales in real time, to create automatic reports by time period/publisher/territory/languages/SKU etc...

L Thammy

I think we can now say with some certainty that the Monster Hunter audience will be moving to the 3DS for this game. Doomsayers who were looking at 3G's results are unlikely to be vindicated.

Now, this shouldn't be too surprising, but I think it makes... was it Hero of Legend? ...'s observation about the lack of hunting action games on 3DS more interesting. If God Eater 2 overperforms or underperforms now, it might be a suggestion of the effect of the genre leader's presence. Especially so if Soul Sacrifice Delta moves the same way.

test_account

XP-39C²
Into the future, i guess we would have to wait for Capcom's yearly or quarterly reports to see the full Monster Hunter 4 sales? Those reports should include download version as well.

I think we can now say with some certainty that the Monster Hunter audience will be moving to the 3DS for this game. Doomsayers who were looking at 3G's results are unlikely to be vindicated.

Now, this shouldn't be too surprising, but I think it makes... was it Hero of Legend? ...'s observation about the lack of hunting action games on 3DS more interesting. If God Eater 2 overperforms or underperforms now, it might be a suggestion of the effect of the genre leader's presence. Especially so if Soul Sacrifice Delta moves the same way.

if godeater2 underperforms I can see there being a long of annoyed Namco shareholders

Busaiku

I wonder how many people were waiting for Monster Hunter 4 instead of picking up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate since they were announced on the same day.
Clearly a lot more people have already bought Monster Hunter 4, but I'm wondering if Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate could have been more successful if the newest game wasn't announced at the same time.

DaBoss

Well I doubt that would have made much of a difference. The PSP was the home for MH prior to the 3DS, so the transitional game (MH3U in this case) wouldn't have sold as much. And that is ignoring the fact that the content of MH3U is MHP3rd's + MHTri and more stuff, and the "more stuff" most likely wasn't compelling to most MH fans in Japan (compelling in the west since the west didn't get any form of MHP3rd).

Glass Rebel

I doubt that God Eater 2 will underperform. GE sold over 610k and Burst over 430k. The PSP will help in total sales, even if the Vita sales suffer that way.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Capcom raised the shipments again. I guess they don't want to have stock problems with Monster Hunter when Pokemon comes out.

Most likely. The Japanese holiday season is packed. Nintendo will definitely be able to achieve their 5 million target goal. Wii U on the other hand.... Should be very interesting. I'm looking forward to tomorrows MH4 and 3DS HW sales!

BriBri

Most likely. The Japanese holiday season is packed. Nintendo will definitely be able to achieve their 5 million target goal. Wii U on the other hand.... Should be very interesting. I'm looking forward to tomorrows MH4 and 3DS HW sales!
I'm less sceptical now, especially as Mario Party has a November North American date so it's promising that it will make 2013 in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm less sceptical now, especially as Mario Party has a November North American date so it's promising that it will make 2013 in Japan.

Nintendo won't let 3DS without a big first party release for holidays. Since Zelda won't make it this year Mario Party is a sure bet.

Mpl90

Nintendo won't let 3DS without a big first party release for holidays. Since Zelda won't make it this year Mario Party is a sure bet.

Puzzle & Dragons Z is also a sort-of-first party release, given what posted by Sinobi a few days ago. :D

BriBri

Well NOE did last year:D

Seriously though, there's also Daigasso Band Brothers P. which hopefully should get a December date.

DaBoss

So it is cheaper to get the PS3 version. Is there really no SKU that includes both Vita games at a discounted price or at least the same price as the PS3 version?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Many retailer blogs talk for supply problems of 3DS LL and Circle Pad. In theory we would know already hardware from Famitsu but Capcom changed the plans.

Mpl90

Many retailer blogs talk for supply problems of 3DS LL and Circle Pad. In theory we would know already hardware from Famitsu but Capcom changed the plans.

Eh, that's what I was referring to earlier today. Maybe in the next hours, just before the complete datas? It would follow the setup "one day - official press release / the next day - Enterbrain news".

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

MH4 3DS LL Hardware or just overall 3DS LL? One would of thought Nintendo would have shipped an ample amount of 3DS LL and Circle Pad Pro prior to MH4's release.

Mpl90

supply constraining 3ds ll so people have to dowload the system

usual nintendo bullshit

Those 3D printers cost too damn much, too, so it's not a plausible option, just for a freaking console. Damn you, Nintendo!

wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, do we have any info on how many of the limited edition systems were shipped? did we get figures for the triG ones?
I don't think we got figures for either game, a huge chunk of the MH fanbase need the 3DS still, this is gonna push so many units with Pokemon.

Glass Rebel

So it is cheaper to get the PS3 version. Is there really no SKU that includes both Vita games at a discounted price or at least the same price as the PS3 version?

It doesn't look like there's a double-cartridge release and apparently nobody is using 8GB cartridges. This kinda gimps the Vita versions but they could have done worse, I guess. The Western release will be tragic since the PS3 version is only $39.99 and there's no sign of Vita retail releases.

DaBoss

Who is the guy who usually tweets the stuff in advance?

It doesn't look like there's a double-cartridge release and apparently nobody is using 8GB cartridges. This kinda gimps the Vita versions but they could have done worse, I guess. The Western release will be tragic since the PS3 version is only $39.99 and there's no sign of Vita retail releases.

It doesn't seem like they want the PSV versions to sell well.

Is it at least getting a digital release in the west on the Vita?

Top Bottom