• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

Am I the only one noticing that there's not a huge amount going on so far at TGS, to where I'm wondering if it would have even mattered if NX had been revealed prior?

Might just be me though, but I'm wondering if it would've even made the difference some thought it would've. Maybe it is best to just save it all for the unveiling. I dunno.

Curious about what some think about this.

BriBri

Am I the only one noticing that there's not a huge amount going on so far at TGS, to where I'm wondering if it would have even mattered if NX had been revealed prior?

Might just be me though, but I'm wondering if it would've even made the difference some thought it would've. Maybe it is best to just save it all for the unveiling. I dunno.

WHAT?! Kumamon has been announced for Monster Hunter Stories and you're underwhelmed?! You ain't no hero to me
;-)

Two years ago, Yokai Watch was a cultural phenomenon and now it sells half what it used to.

Only level-5, I'm impressed.

Two years ago, Yokai Watch was a cultural phenomenon and now it's just part of a handful of elite IPs whose games can sell 1.5 m copies on one system. Sad.

So what's the chances that Shenmue 3 gets a retail release in Japan? It looks like the original sold 380K in its first two weeks according to IGN. Even if it sold half that it'd be pretty huge for an Japanese indie studio I'd think.

duckroll

So what's the chances that Shenmue 3 gets a retail release in Japan? It looks like the original sold 380K in its first two weeks according to IGN. Even if it sold half that it'd be pretty huge for an Japanese indie studio I'd think.

A bit early? The game isn't going to be out for another 2 years at least, if we take the typical Kickstarter bloat delay into account.

Oregano

I think it's just a case of publishers having already announced games that still aren't out. There's still quite a lot of stuff at TGS.

You have a point though, I think we were expecting a few announcements where we'd be like "Oh that's pretty likely to be released on NX as well" but that hasn't really happened. Which could either be a good or bad sign for
...probably bad.

Also I know it's pretty much the same every year but if you look at the platform breakdown for TGS with no knowledge of the JP Market you're think PS4 was the biggest seller(outside of mobile) and that Vita had a slight edge on 3DS. That's kinda ludicrous.

duckroll

Also I know it's pretty much the same every year but if you look at the platform breakdown for TGS with no knowledge of the JP Market you're think PS4 was the biggest seller(outside of mobile) and that Vita had a slight edge on 3DS. That's kinda ludicrous.

I don't understand at all what you are saying here...

A bit early? The game isn't going to be out for another 2 years at least, if we take the typical Kickstarter bloat delay into account.

Definitely early but it's interesting since so few home console games sell those kind of numbers now. I have absolutely no context for the popularity of the franchise in Japan so it's extremely hard to predict how a sequel would perform. I imagine Sega marketed it like crazy back then and Sony won't bother doing much for it.

Oregano

I don't understand at all what you are saying here...
f09041dc.jpg
Referring to that. Going by the number of releases you'd think PS4 was tearing up the charts.

As I said not a new thing, TGS tends to be Sony heavy anyway.

duckroll

Referring to that. Going by the number of releases you'd think PS4 was tearing up the charts.

Not as much as PC and "Others"....

Still don't understand. Who would draw such conclusions based on such numbers, and more importantly, why would we care about the opinion of someone who does?

Trade events are not indicative of popularity of products, trade events are indicative of what products are available of interest to the type of trade event it is.

Does anyone go to CES for example, and think that 3DTVs or whatever new crap they're showing off everywhere is a huge thing with normal consumers?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Still don't understand. Who would draw such conclusions based on such numbers, and more importantly, why would we care about the opinion of someone who does?

Trade events are not indicative of popularity of products, trade events are indicative of what products are available of interest to the type of trade event it is.

Does anyone go to CES for example, and think that 3DTVs or whatever new crap they're showing off everywhere is a huge thing with normal consumers?

You mean you don't own a smart fridge with a 30 inch screen?

Oregano

Does anyone go to CES for example, and think that 3DTVs we or whatever new crap they're showing off everywhere is a huge thing with normal consumers?

Yeah, at least to some degree. When a large amount of companies are showcasing a particular type of product it tends to be reflective of current market trends or speculative of future trends.

Do 3DTVs still get shown a lot at CES? When they dominated a few years ago it was because companies wanted/expected it to be the next big thing. They were wrong.

My point is a bit moot anyway because dedicated hardware games at TGS are now just a subset of the market and the product lineups do represent the more important trend of a shift to general purpose devices for going use.

Out of interest what actually constitutes a PC title? Does that count browser games or is that one of the other categories?

Edit: To maybe illustrate my point a bit better though if the 3DS consistently had more games than PS4/XBO at E3/Gamescom etc but that not be really weird?

duckroll

Do 3DTVs still get shown a lot at CES? When they dominated a few years ago it was because companies wanted/expected it to be the next big thing. They were wrong.

This is completely different from it being something that dominates the industry. I mean, if someone goes to TGS and gets the impression that most publishers are pushing hard for the PS4 to be the dominant platform in the near future, would that impression be wrong at all? We already know that is the case. :p

Out of interest what actually constitutes a PC title? Does that count browser games or is that one of the other categories?

Beats me. Why is PC and Steam a different section? Gotta ask whoever came up with those categories! Lol.

Edit: To maybe illustrate my point a bit better though if the 3DS consistently had more games than PS4/XBO at E3/Gamescom etc but that not be really weird?

Sorry, I don't know if it's because I'm kinda tired today due to a lack of sleep, but I really don't understand what you're asking again. :(

Oregano

This is completely different from it being something that dominates the industry. I mean, if someone goes to TGS and gets the impression that most publishers are pushing hard for the PS4 to be the dominant platform in the near future, would that impression be wrong at all? We already know that is the case. :p

Beats me. Why is PC and Steam a different section? Gotta ask whoever came up with those categories! Lol.

Sorry, I don't know if it's because I'm kinda tired today due to a lack of sleep, but I really don't understand what you're asking again. :(

Well you've got me there.

The last bit is just a bad example because as you point out PS4 is getting the big product push. Also it kinda got mangled by autocorrect.:(

MANUELF

Banned
He is saying that the market leader and biggest seller doesnt get the most games in the case of the 3DS and instead lesser sellers like the Vita and PS4 does

Oregano

He is saying that the market leader and biggest seller doesnt get the most games in the case of the 3DS and instead lesser sellers like the Vita and PS4 does

It's also how far out of whack it is. PS4 has double the games of any other dedicated device. That's a massive margin.

L~A

Looks like Capcom wasn't satisfied with just an anime series, they want a movie now. Well, the anime is clearly aimed at the Japanese market, while the movie is aimed at the western market. If done right, it could be pretty beneficial for the series (even if the movie itself isn't most definitely not be good).

By the way, that reminds me that the Resident Evil live-action movies Director was pretty interested in a Monster Hunter movie, but that was 5 years ago, so...

Recently, I've been loving Monster Hunter! A film conversion is currently in planning

http://andriasang.com/con2n3/monster_hunter_movie/

duckroll

I guess the reason why I'm having such difficulty in understanding why there is any concern about this, is that it's pretty clear to me what sort of even TGS is. It's a trade event for gaming that targets older consumers, and is more of a place for networking and spreading brand awareness for trendy and cool stuff. It has never been an event that favored the sort of market Nintendo successfully captures. For entertainment targeting families and children, stuff associated with "all ages" gaming akin to Disney, the events to watch would be stuff like Jump Festa. Less formal events that have a family picnic vibe. If you look at he lineup and marketing at those events, it is clear what platforms are succeeding there.

Takao

Banned
Looks like Capcom wasn't satisfied with just an anime series, they want a movie now. Well, the anime is clearly aimed at the Japanese market, while the movie is aimed at the western market. If done right, it could be pretty beneficial for the series (even if the movie itself isn't most definitely not be good).

By the way, that reminds me that the Resident Evil live-action movies Director was pretty interested in a Monster Hunter movie, but that was 5 years ago, so...

http://andriasang.com/con2n3/monster_hunter_movie/

News on a Monster Hunter movie happens every four years:

Fall 2008: Inafune expresses interest in making a Monster Hunter movie
Fall 2012: Visionary behind the Alice in Zombieland series wants to make a Monster Hunter movie
Fall 2016: Tsujimoto says there will be a Monster Hunter movie
Fall 2020: ???

L~A

Fall 2012: Visionary behind the Alice in Zombieland series wants to make a Monster Hunter movie

Fall 2020: Netflix says they have a Monster Hunter live-action series in the works? ;)

Asd202

Just like the Olympics! Monster Hunter movie to revealed during the Tokyo Olympics Opening Ceremony confirmed!

Datschge

I guess the reason why I'm having such difficulty in understanding why there is any concern about this, is that it's pretty clear to me what sort of even TGS is. It's a trade event for gaming that targets older consumers, and is more of a place for networking and spreading brand awareness for trendy and cool stuff. It has never been an event that favored the sort of market Nintendo successfully captures.
Add to that Nintendo never really participated aside for keynote guests. Nintendo never was and still isn't even a regular member of CESA which organizes TGS, instead CESA has a "special supporting member" list containing only Nintendo. =D The result is that given no other options TGS always had a Sony slant.

TGS ain't the full picture and even if PS4 did get the most games, that assertion is under the assumption that JP pubs are only looking at the JP market which we know is not true.

L~A

Denpa Ningen no RPG Free just hit 2.8 million downloads

https://twitter.com/denpaningen/status/776347627130531840

Also, November 10th is Bomba Day for the 3DS. All these games release on the same day (mostly kids stuff), including two from FuRyu alone.

[3DS] Beyblade Burst
[3DS] Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan: Shijou Psi Dai no Psi nan?!
[3DS] Pika Pika Nurse Monogatari: Shounika wa Itsumo Oosawagi
[3DS] PriPara Mezameyo! Megami no Dress Design
[3DS] Lil’ Lil’ Fairy Kirakira ☆ Hajimete no Fairy Magic ♪

horuhe

Also, November 10th is Bomba Day for the 3DS. All these games release on the same day (mostly kids stuff), including two from FuRyu alone.

[3DS] Beyblade Burst

PriPara should, at least, be the best selling of those, though... The last entry sold quite well being the kind of game it is.

Takao

Banned

[3DS] Beyblade Burst

The retail Appmon game has also been confirmed for December 1st.

L~A

PriPara should, at least, be the best selling of those, though... The last entry sold quite well being the kind of game it is.

Yeah, I was a bit trollish with my "bomba day" comment, though none of these games will really sell all that much.

Genius Sonority just made a ton of money then
:D

Ha ha, not sure why I wrote 2 here. But anyway, even the F2P version must be quite successful if they're still supporting it. Then again, they're a super small company also working on Pokémon Shuffle, so I guess their profitability targets aren't super high either.

The retail Appmon game has also been confirmed for December 1st.

Yeah, I should post the full line-up for Q4 2016 for the Nintendo 3DS (and the Wii U :p) later or tomorrow. Though we're still missing some stuff like PowaPro which is supposed to come out this winter... not sure why it wasn't announced today at TGS, maybe this week-end during the public days.

Top Bottom