• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

casiopao

WE will still chart in january, despite sales are shrinking it keeps selling for long time (pretty unusual on Sony ecosystems)

Sad, they don't want to take chances on releasing a 3DS port. They only need to update the roster too here.

Do u remember how the older Samurai Blue port sales on 3DS?

I am still one of those sceptics that doesn't believe that Sun and Moon will outsell X and Y in Japan. There isn't enough evidence for this from past. Black and White sold less than Diamond and Pearl and Gold and Silver sold less than Red, Blue and Green (GBA didn't have two proper gens). Sun and moon might have better first week than X and Y ( just like black and white had better first week than Diamond and Pearl) but I think LTD will be lower (especially as NX will kill some of the legs of Sun and Moon).

NX won't kill Pokemon leg though. After all, Pokemon had been a very long leg sell time like how B&W can still sold quite a lot even after 3DS come out.

zeromcd73

NX won't kill Pokemon leg though. After all, Pokemon had been a very long leg sell time like how B&W can still sold quite a lot even after 3DS come out.
It helped that 3DS was backwards compatible and could play those games. Judging by the rumors, NX won't be tho.

Although it sounds like we will be getting specific NX versions of them anyway so...

casiopao

It helped that 3DS was backwards compatible and could play those games. Judging by the rumors, NX won't be tho.

Although it sounds like we will be getting specific NX versions of them anyway so...

Pokemon Star rumor? I don't believe GF will be able to do that lol.^_^

3DS owners won't just suddenly disappear though.

Ōkami

I am still one of those sceptics that doesn't believe that Sun and Moon will outsell X and Y in Japan. There isn't enough evidence for this from past. Black and White sold less than Diamond and Pearl and Gold and Silver sold less than Red, Blue and Green (GBA didn't have two proper gens). Sun and moon might have better first week than X and Y ( just like black and white had better first week than Diamond and Pearl) but I think LTD will be lower (especially as NX will kill some of the legs of Sun and Moon).
Diamond / Pearl came out during the height of the DS in 2006 and only sold 300k more than Black / White and Red / Blue / Green are the best selling games ever it's not fair to compare it to anything.

Not saying that Sun / Moon will sell more than X / Y but history doesn't help us here.

Sad, they don't want to take chances on releasing a 3DS port. They only need to update the roster too here.

Do u remember how the older Samurai Blue port sales on 3DS?

Konami doesn't like handhelds and WE is a franchise which always sold better on homes

It's funny that every time we are talking about some declining franchises here comes the 3DS begging port...

allan-bh

I really hope we get an early report next week, and that it also includes full data for the Pokémon 2DS bundles too.

Would be great if Media Create also counted the Pokémon 2DS bundles, so that Chris could normalise his data.

I don't think they have this data, otherwise could be revealed at the time.

casiopao

Konami doesn't like handhelds and WE is a franchise which always sold better on homes

It's funny that every time we are talking about some declining franchises here comes the 3DS begging port...

Lol. Chill bro. I am just asking here if u remember Samurai Blue number. (Konami may hate handhelds but they sure love money. Thats why we got the new Power Pros Heroes and Densetsu Momotaro for 3DS. I just feel that if the cost is not huge, they can just repackage Samurai Blue version into new version with updated roster)

Takao

Banned
Lol. Chill bro. I am just asking here if u remember Samurai Blue number. (Konami may hate handhelds but they sure love money. Thats why we got the new Power Pros Heroes and Densetsu Momotaro for 3DS. I just feel that if the cost is not huge, they can just repackage Samurai Blue version into new version with updated roster)

[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥5.119) - 95.237
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥4.980) - 88.736
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥4.980) - 86.497
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) {2011.12.08} (¥4.980) – 46.182
[3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) {2011.02.26} 97,397

[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥3.067) - 38.713
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥3.980) - 85.553
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥3.980) - 167.948
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) {2011.11.03} (¥4.980) – 247.329
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010/11/18} - 265,309

casiopao

[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥5.119) - 95.237
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥4.980) - 88.736
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥4.980) - 86.497
[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) {2011.12.08} (¥4.980) – 46.182
[3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) {2011.02.26} 97,397

[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥3.067) - 38.713
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥3.980) - 85.553
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥3.980) - 167.948
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 (Konami) {2011.11.03} (¥4.980) – 247.329
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010/11/18} - 265,309

Tx a lot for the number Takao.^~^

Almost 100k huh. Not so bad. But maybe Konami would hope for much moar.T_T

Well no, i don't said Kirby is small indeed, just 2m is not big.

I would say a "big" game should at least sells +5 million worldwide.

Seems pretty high. For reference, Smash Bros. U, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Ocarina of Time 3D all shipped less than five million copies. I'd argue all of them are big.

Takao

Banned
I have a suspicion that the 3DS and PSP versions were made by the same team at Konami. When the PSP version died out and the 3DS version didn't really pick up the slack, Konami stopped.

Vita probably only gets Konami baseball since it seems like all versions are made by the same group.

Seems pretty high. For reference, Smash Bros. U, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Ocarina of Time 3D all shipped less than five million copies. I'd argue all of them are big.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U-4.8m, has a 3DS version which sold more
Splatoon-4.27m, and still going
Super Mario Maker-3.52m and still going
Luigi's Mansion 2-4.82m (this is really close to 5 million!)
Ocarina of Time 3D-4.04m, a remake of a game that sold double that

yeah ok dude

Mory Dunz

yeah ok dude

what are you arguing...

casiopao

yeah ok dude

I am lost lol. Are u agreeing with him or arguing with him.O_O

I have a suspicion that the 3DS and PSP versions were made by the same team at Konami. When the PSP version died out and the 3DS version didn't really pick up the slack, Konami stopped.

Vita probably only gets Konami baseball since it seems like all versions are made by the same group.

I can see this as the reason.T_T Rather than spending money to maintain the team only for 100k 3DS sales while the PSP died, they would be better just spend more of the money on other business like mobile.

......i may be wrong here, but is there any PES on mobile here?

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Do you realize that all those games WON'T sell less than 5 million lifetime, right? ( maybe outside Ocarina 3D)

And yes, a game which can't even sells 5 million, i don't considering it "big" at all.

duckroll

2 million worldwide is not a big number at all. For something like Kirby it is definitely profitable, but that isn't what we are talking about right? Many games sell 2 million and are considered mediocre performers. The market has grown so much that it is a fairly low number when we talk about big games. If you sell 10 million you are definitely big but not even the best of the best. If you sell 5 million you are decently big but still can't compete with the real market leaders.

Lets put it this way. Indie games today can sell 1-2 million. It's not easy but very possible.

casiopao

2 million worldwide is not a big number at all. For something like Kirby it is definitely profitable, but that isn't what we are talking about right? Many games sell 2 million and are considered mediocre performers. The market has grown so much that it is a fairly low number when we talk about big games. If you sell 10 million you are definitely big but not even the best of the best. If you sell 5 million you are decently big but still can't compete with the real market leaders.

Lets put it this way. Indie games today can sell 1-2 million. It's not easy but very possible.

Indie reach 2 million with totally different pricing though. This is 40 bucks vs 5-10 bucks pricing.

Of course for AAA game, 2 mil is mediocre but for a normal A games i would said it sold moderately well.( not big though)

duckroll

Pricing is irrelevant, whether something is AA or AAA is irrelevant, because we are not talking about profit here, we are talking abiut whether it is big. How large is the reach? How many people have played it? How many people think about it and talk about it? 2 million is not big at all these days. It is just decent.

In fact, I will go one step further and say that if a game isn't AAA to begin with, it isn't big, because it means even the publisher doesn't expect it to have that much potential.

Aters

Not saying Kirby is big. Fire Emblem and Metroid are 2 million franchises, but they feel like "hardcore" franchises (at least on GAF) while Kirby is casual, which I don't know why. Kirby is as old as FE and Metroid and it's quite hardcore to me compared to the true casual games such as Nintendog, Animal Crossing or Toumodachi Life.

duckroll

Not saying Kirby is big. Fire Emblem and Metroid are 2 million franchises, but they feel like "hardcore" franchises (at least on GAF) while Kirby is casual, which I don't know why. Kirby is as old as FE and Metroid and it's quite hardcore to me compared to the true casual games such as Nintendog, Animal Crossing or Toumodachi Life.

Fire Emblem and Metroid are considered core franchises because they appeal to older audiences (teens and up) by focusing on characters, store, and having a set continuity and story lore.

Kirby is considered an all ages franchise that appeals to kids, families, and anyone who plays games because it's about cute characters doing cute things and driven by a simple but strong gameplay loop which doesn't require players to understand complex map layouts, tactical decisions, etc.

Not hard to understand.

Aters

Fire Emblem and Metroid are considered core franchises because they appeal to older audiences (teens and up) by focusing on characters, store, and having a set continuity and story lore.

Kirby is considered an all ages franchise that appeals to kids, families, and anyone who plays games because it's about cute characters doing cute things and driven by a simple but strong gameplay loop which doesn't require players to understand complex map layouts, tactical decisions, etc.

Not hard to understand.

So Kirby is in a weird situation. For a family franchise, it's nowhere near Animal Crossing or Toumodachi Life. But hardcore fans find it too casual. And it sells too much to be considered a niche. Poor Kirby lol.

casiopao

Pricing is irrelevant, whether something is AA or AAA is irrelevant, because we are not talking about profit here, we are talking abiut whether it is big. How large is the reach? How many people have played it? How many people think about it and talk about it? 2 million is not big at all these days. It is just decent.

In fact, I will go one step further and say that if a game isn't AAA to begin with, it isn't big, because it means even the publisher doesn't expect it to have that much potential.

If we are talking simply only on sales number then i will agree that 2 mill is just okay.

And i also agree that actually right now, except for AAA or games with huge iconic chara, all the other games is small.

For me, there is no such thing as casual or not casual lol. I had seen AC and TL players who is much more hardcore on the game vs those who played so called hardcore game like CoD.

Not to mention some of the game like DK which is often disregard as casual actually had much higher difficulty curve vs most games nowadays.

duckroll

So Kirby is in a weird situation. For a family franchise, it's nowhere near Animal Crossing or Toumodachi Life. But hardcore fans find it too casual. And it sells too much to be considered a niche. Poor Kirby lol.

I don't think hardcore fans find it too casual. I think this is a misunderstanding. People like to split games between "hardcore" and "casual" when that's not the case at all. It's just a matter of main appeal. There is in fact a ton of crossover in terms of audience between the two. People who like games with stories and characters generally don't exclusively play those all the time. I know I don't. People who enjoy pure game experiences where it's mostly just a strong core gameplay loop (like say Tetris) could also be interested in playing a story based game if they find the story interesting or if their friends keep talking about it. It's not either or.

There are also more successful core games and less successful core games. There are more successful family friendly games and less successful family friendly games. Kirby isn't really stuck anywhere. It's just where it is because that's how successful the franchise is. If there is something holding Kirby back, I would say that it is the game sharing many similarities with Mario in terms of demographic (2D sidescroller, power ups, stage driven, cutesy) but it just isn't as iconic. So if you're buying a game like that for a Nintendo system, you'll probably get Mario first, and Kirby if you really want another game like that but ran out of Mario to buy.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Fire Emblem is not a 2m franchise, is a series which continue to increase and increase.

Fates has sold 1.84 million withouth Europe by end of March 2016, you can be sure it will at least sell 3 million, if not 4 million.

I think the mobile game will also increase FE success.

So in some years, i honestly think FE will be big ( aka 5-7m for game)

Oregano

Not hard to understand.

You must be talking just about Japan, everyone knows American Kirby is hardcore.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So here we go, Dai Gyakuten Saian 2 announced. No platform mentioned, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1s2DhNp3I&feature=youtu.be

January 22nd, special 15th Anniversary event. Most likely where we will get more details.

Also, there was a God Eater panel this morning, and the developers teased first infos about the new console title could be revealed there

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/god-eate...eased-tgs-2016-first-god-eater-online-details

Anything new on the matter?

Oregano

So here we go, Dai Gyakuten Saian 2 announced. No platform mentioned, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1s2DhNp3I&feature=youtu.be

January 22nd, special 15th Anniversary event. Most likely where we will get more details.

Omg it must be an NX game
like Etrian Odyssey 5

Also, there was a God Eater panel this morning, and the developers teased first infos about the new console title could be revealed there

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/god-eate...eased-tgs-2016-first-god-eater-online-details

Anything new on the matter?

Oh yeah, has that gone? I expected to see "God Eater 3 announced for PS4 PS4/Vita PS4" headlines.

Mpl90

Omg it must be an NX game
like Etrian Odyssey 5

Yeah, after what happened with EO5 (seriously, I still don't get why they didn't unveil it was for 3DS in the announcement trailer), it's better to be cautious.
...At least, it can be said that the DAI2 has high chances of a release some time after NX launch, so I wouldn't exclude the possibility. It can perfectly be 3DS/NX as well.

Oh yeah, has that gone? I expected to see "God Eater 3 announced for PS4 PS4/Vita PS4" headlines.

Mpl90

http://gamestalk.net/post-67059/
Just tuned in. They confirmed a new God Eater in development

Edit: Confirmed for home consoles. Very impressive graphics

Hopefully it's as confirmed for home consoles as DQXI was a bit before the official event, because, well, if Toukiden 2 taught us anyhing is that changing the hunting game formula way too much to appeal to the Western crowd (I assume that's the intention behind it) doesn't work, it actually alienates a good part of the audience. It's even worse if they're dropping handhelds, given the major sales difference for the genre.

Oregano

http://gamestalk.net/post-67059/
Just tuned in. They confirmed a new God Eater in development

Edit: Confirmed for home consoles. Very impressive graphics

I still find it funny when they vaguely say home consoles, we know they mean PS4. Wonder if that really means PS4 exclusive then?

Well Capcom loves to port the games so an NX release is still a real possibiloty?. The first three games are on three gens of Nintendo hardware!

zeromcd73

Hopefully it's as confirmed for home consoles as DQXI was a bit before the official event, because, well, if Toukiden 2 taught us anyhing is that changing the hunting game formula way too much to appeal to the Western crowd (I assume that's the intention behind it). It's even worse if they're dropping handhelds, given the major sales difference for the genre.
Just watched the end of the presentation. 3 different people legit just said the word home console 100 times. They just wouldn't stop. No mention of portables but doubt they will drop handhelds

Oregano

Just watched the end of the presentation. 3 different people legit just said the word home console 100 times. They just wouldn't stop. No mention of portables but doubt they will drop handhelds

Bwahaha good luck to Bamco then. That's about all I can say.

mao2

"&#23478;&#24237;&#29992;[&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#27231;]" in Japanese means "video game console" and it includes both home console and portable consoles. They didn't specifically say that it's for "&#25454;&#32622;&#27231;" (home console), did they?

zeromcd73

Bwahaha good luck to Bamco then. That's about all I can say.
&#23478;&#24237;&#29992;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#27231; is also used to refer to consume games in general now for regular consoles. So it shouldn't completely rule out the possibility.

Was still interesting that were talking about beautiful graphics, especially when it comes to God Eater

Mpl90

"&#23478;&#24237;&#29992;[&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#27231;]" in Japanese means "video game console" and it includes both home console and portable consoles.

That...changes things quite a bit, if that's the term they used. The fact they seemingly talked about beautiful graphics is indeed interesting considering the franchise, but, if this is the case, this is not a sign they're changing the formula per se; just that, well, it'll be great to look at.

Oregano

"&#23478;&#24237;&#29992;[&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#27231;]" in Japanese means "video game console" and it includes both home console and portable consoles. They didn't specifically say that it's for "&#25454;&#32622;&#27231;" (home console), did they?

&#23478;&#24237;&#29992;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#27231; is also used to refer to consume games in general now for regular consoles. So it shouldn't completely rule out the possibility.

Was still interesting that were talking about beautiful graphics, especially when it comes to God Eater

Oh that might make more sense then. Of course God Eater 2 has its origins as a PSP game so even using Vita as the base would be a substantial jump.

Oregano

Bandai Namco America has uploaded the God Eater teaser to youtube. I think things are pointing towards a western focused console game at this point...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

What is so strange
Look At the charts
It iis the only console selling in japan
The only other viable option would be mobile

horuhe

Persona 5 for PS4 was restocked yesterday it seems, but PS3 is still sold-out both the normal version and the anniversary edition.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For the same reason no tracker gave numbers, it wasn't considered a hardware release because it was a limited edition.

Top Bottom