• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2016 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

Fisico

That's really quick for 550k. Those numbers probably include the Asian Japanese release which probably helped quite a bit both at retail and on PSN. If we take that into account, perhaps it'll hit up to 650k or even 700k before the English release in Feb. That would be really, really strong for Atlus.

That's faster and slightly higher than expected, it's probably around 450k shipped retail in Japan alone, digital could be anywhere between 30-60k that would leave around ~50k for the Asian release I guess.

hiska-kun

Media Create Total Software Sales Comparison
total_zpsl6jtc6n5.jpg

2016 overall software sales are far away from 2015 and the decline continues. At this point it will be impossible to match last year's numbers, so we can almost confirm the decline.
Note that week 53 2015 is included as a 2016 week on this graph. If I add it to year 2015 the numbers look worse. Pray for 2017.

Winning Eleven Comparison
winningtotal_zpsd4kcti6b.jpg

One might think that this year's WE stopped the decline of the series (at least according to Media Create, because the other trackers say that the decline continues this year as well).
But that's only if we look at first week's sales. Second week sales of WE17 are lower than WE16, and remember that this week there were two holiday days. Third week drop might be bigger again, so total sales might not match WE16 despite bigger first week. Also, word of mouth has been terrible so far, and Fifa17 is having a much better critics right now. I wouldn't be surprised if legs will be cut off, and Fifa picks up the lost sales. It will be interesting to watch.

winning_zpscg2v7kbr.jpg

I guess this will be one of the new comparisons I'll do from next week.

L~A

Not expecting the Famicom Mini to be tracked (weekly), though maybe Famitsu/Media Create will have a note about its sales the following week.

At the very least, we should get data in January, with the Q3 results. Or maybe before via Twitter if it sells really well (like 1m).

Worst case scenario: we have to wait for the Media Create White Book in 2017.

L~A

Lol, are you serious????? :D

Who cares about that in Japan when both systems and games are available everywhere...

I can buy a loose Famicom for $30 here, games from $5

lol, yes I'm serious!!!!! :D

Even more seriously: I'm not saying/predicting 1m sales, I was simply listing potential ways we could get sales data for the NES/Famicom, since Media Create/Famitsu most definitely are not going to share any (at best MC will mention it in their weekly report, but I doubt it).

Since Nintendo is now communicating more often when their stuff sells 1m+, no doubt they'd do so for the NES/Famicom Mini. But it'd have to sell 1m to begin with, and I don't think there's much chance of that happening.

Looking at the Top 50 Chris posted, looks like Mario & Sonic 3DS finally left the Top 20 (Wii U version left last week). Most likely won't see it again until the holidays.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Since Nintendo is now communicating more often when their stuff sells 1m+, no doubt they'd do so for the NES/Famicom Mini. But it'd have to sell 1m to begin with, and I don't think there's much chance of that happening.

You mean this year or lifetime? Cause i don't know about this year, but lifetime it can see it selling over 1m.

L~A

You mean this year or lifetime? Cause i don't know about this year, but lifetime it can see it selling over 1m.

Definitely not this year, unless it's a surprise hit. I mean, it's just a plug & play device to play a selection of NES games (impossible to download more, though I'm sure some hackers will find a way to do it), and not the first of its kind (not by a long shot). Appeal seems purely nostalgia-driven, so I don't think people will rush to buy it.

LTD... maybe, but I got the feeling it's just something Nintendo is releasing to fill their line-up and "boost" their revenue for Q3. I don't think they're intending to sell it for a long time.

Celine

Definitely not this year, unless it's a surprise hit. I mean, it's just a plug & play device to play a selection of NES games (impossible to download more, though I'm sure some hackers will find a way to do it), and not the first of its kind (not by a long shot). Appeal seems purely nostalgia-driven, so I don't think people will rush to buy it.

LTD... maybe, but I got the feeling it's just something Nintendo is releasing to fill their line-up and "boost" their revenue for Q3. I don't think they're intending to sell it for a long time.
If we are talking worldwide, Atari Flashback 2 sold almost 1 million unit in US alone, I expect NES Classic Mini to perform much better if Nintendo produce enough stock.
Not sure how it will be received in Japan, but I'm sure that even there Famicom nostalgia is still strong.

Who cares about that in Japan when both systems and games are available everywhere...

I can buy a loose Famicom for $30 here, games from $5
You are underestimating the convenience factor of the Famicom Classic Mini.
Small form factor, no old hardware hassle, no cartridges (yes, I expect to be a plus for casuals), compatible with modern HD TV set and all for a cheap price.
This isn't meant for hardcore retrogamers/collectors (at least not just for them) but more casual consumers who have big nostalgia for NES/Famicom.
Again I'm not sure how it will perform in Japan, what I know is that NES/Famicom Classic Mini has a extremely low entry barrier (not just monetary but in term of dedication needed) to relive nostalgia for that console which is excellent for casuals.

BKK

It's a novelty toy (they even reduced the pad in size at the same proportions as to be unplayable). There's no reference sales for such a thing (except maybe software ROM collections). Where did the 1,000,000 number come from? Why not 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000 or 10,000,000? It's not as if it's even an original concept, other retro-console manufacturers have been doing this for years, but we never had people asking if they would be tracked or speculating on how many they would sell if they were tracked.

BKK

Which is fine, that's why there are threads on Gaf dedicated to it where people can speculate on such things. It's not really relevant in Media Create threads though.

Celine

Which is fine, that's why there are threads on Gaf dedicated to it where people can speculate on such things. It's not really relevant in Media Create threads though.
Media Create threads aren't strictly about Media Create charts, whilst these weekly charts are the focus and the main source of attention, more in general there are talks about japanese videogame sales so there could be side talks about mobile games revenue, shipment data or financial results.

While I do agree MC won't track the FCM in the weekly charts (why should they?), we just replied to a guy that asked if he'll get sale data about it that probably he will get anyway the shipment LTD if Nintendo sell more than 1 million units.

Keep on with the relevant conversation in this Media Create thread.

Ōkami

Man, YSO's predictions for Monster Hunter Stories are terrible, except for one lone soul everyone expects less than 100k for it's first week.

MacTag

Banned
Ōkami;218823689 said:
Man, YSO's predictions for Monster Hunter Stories are terrible, except for one lone soul everyone expects less than 100k for it's first week.
It really seems like the game's only hope is through positive word of mouth with kids.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 40, 2016 (Oct 3 - Oct 9)

new releases

{2016.10.05}
[3DS] Train Creator 3D _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Arc System Works) (¥740)
[3DS] Mighty Switch Force! 2 _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Intergrow) (¥740)
[3DS] Mercenaries Saga 3 _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Ride On) (¥462)

{2016.10.06}
[3DS] Kobito Game Taizen <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Kobito Game Taizen (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) (¥4.800)
[PSV] PsychicEmotion6 # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)
[PSV] PsychicEmotion6 (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.300)
[PSV] PsychicEmotion6 (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Norn + Nonette: Act Tune # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)
[PSV] Norn + Nonette: Act Tune (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.300)
[PSV] Norn + Nonette: Act Tune (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Severed _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Drinkbox Studios) (¥1.500)
[PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction # <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥6.800)
[PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (Limited Box) <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥9.800)
[PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥5.800)
[PS3] BlazBlue: Central Fiction # <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥6.800)
[PS3] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (Limited Box) <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥9.800)
[PS3] BlazBlue: Central Fiction (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥5.800)

{2016.10.08}
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories # <RPG> (Capcom) (¥5.800)
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories (e-Capcom Limited Edition) <RPG> (Capcom) (¥8.300)
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Capcom) (¥5.546)
___

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories < 85k (average 75k)
02. [PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction < 30k (average 25k)
03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura < 20k

Takao

Banned
One of Japan's largest dedicated gaming franchise. A half decade of work. A massive cross-media promotion.

Oh Capcom. I don't think I want to know what form you'll be around in 2020.

Oregano

So DQM Joker 3 bombs, Youkai Watch 3 bombs, Monster Hunter Stories bombs, World of FF probably bombs.

Pokémon stays winning?

BriBri

So DQM Joker 3 bombs, Youkai Watch 3 bombs, Monster Hunter Stories bombs, World of FF probably bombs.

Pokémon stays winning?

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 sold as much as expected with Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light available as F2P and Yokai Watch 3 is still the only million seller this year.

Oregano

#prayforappmon

Forgot it existed.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 sold as much as expected with Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light available as F2P and Yokai Watch 3 is still the only million seller this year.

Eh if Super Light was enough to lose half of the sales of the last game then Hoshi no Dragon Quest means DQXI is only going to sell 2 mil?

MacTag

Banned
Yes, bombing is relative but it's safe to say those games all underperformed. And so will MHS 1st week.

You can't compare YW3 the biggest bomba of the year to a spin-off game. MH stories anime just started, I'm sure that will help in the long run.

Eolz

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories < 85k (average 75k)
02. [PS4] BlazBlue: Central Fiction < 30k (average 25k)
03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura < 20k

Oh no!
I wonder how it would have done with a different artstyle, aka not aiming for the kids. It's a cool spinoff with good ideas behind.

edit:
Just like it helped Gaist Crusher, right?

Come on, poor Gaist Crusher. Its numbers were something else.

Fdkn

I'm glad the game is on 3ds so we won't read about how the choice of platform was absurd for months.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm glad the game is on 3ds so we won't read about how the choice of platform was absurd for months.
I can simulate this if you like.

*flails around wildly pointing to how kid friendly brands Puzzle & Dragons, Monster Strike, and Rune Story do on phones*

Mory Dunz

should've been on Wii U. I mean, it's so obvious. Wii U audience is desperate for RPGs. What do they have, Xeno and paper mario xtra-lite? 3DS audience is too satiated.
Missed opportunity. 3DS moneyhatted it away from the Wii U.

Top Bottom