• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2016 (Sep 19 - Sep 25)

Fisico

Why is there a rush to manipulate numbers to suggest Persona is as popular as those brands? It's not, maybe one day it will be, but that day is not today.

If that's the point you're seeing in my posts then I'm clearly failing to convey what I want to say
It makes me sad but it's fine :'(
I didn't say Persona was in the class of the bigger games nor do I even want to imply it, I only see two ways to interpret its sales, either that it's above every other midrange titles that exist in the current market by a fair amount, not in a league on its own but no that far, or that it proves that there's room for growth for IP that are not in the list I quoted above.

On a side note DQH is at 822k retail according to MC CY 2015 but maybe it had a budget rerelease ? I don't remember.

EDIT : Oh well we said the same thing in the end.

duckroll

I was looking at Famitsu numbers for DQH I think. Lol.

The biggest concern I have about big titles in general in Japan, whether it be mid-range or the really big ones, is how they will transit to a PS4 only market. Persona 5 for example, is touching 400k now, but almost 90k of that is still PS3 sales. In Vita/PS4 titles, the Vita actually comes out -on top- consistently. The PS3/PS4 ratio is much better these days than 2 years ago for sure, but there's still a question of how many PS3 users will jump on to PS4 if a PS3 version does not exist.

FFXV and Yakuza 6 are going to be -really- interesting.

Aki-at

Good hold for the PS4, shame it couldn't take over the crown from the 3DS just for this small time frame though, Pokemon should add a healthy boost over it.

Persona 5 ending up around 450k - 500k would be a great result for Atlus, hopefully with the increased awareness to the brand in Western markets means it should be hitting the million seller clubs next year.

450k at retail is pretty much a lock for Persona 5. 500k will be much harder to reach. But with digital it'll probably cross 500k and there should be be a PR put out announcing that they have shipped over 500k including digital at some point. Without a re-release that's about the ceiling for Japanese sales I think. The next step will be watching how it performs outside of Japan next year.

It's already out in China no? I'm interested to know if it can replicate 0 and Kiwami's success there since Sega's pushing hard for that Chinese market.

hiska-kun

PS3 VS PS4
ps4_zpseykxuax9.jpg

PS4 is leading again the battle after the Slim release. Still, the question will be if it can continue leading during Christmas season, and especially after that. PS3 had a huge boost, just look at the graph.

Kirby Comparison
kirbyweekly_zpskei5ifit.jpg

Kirby Robobot Planet has been outselling Triple Deluxe almost every week since the Demo was released. The game is finally showing it's legs, after the poor firsts weeks. About total accumulated sales:

kirby_zps5q6wljbh.jpg

Still 160k behind Triple Deluxe, but coming. 500k by the end of the year is a lock, but 550k YTD seems more realistic. Unfortunately the comparison will be over soon, since there's lack of data for the previous entry, that left the top 20 after week 24.

Dragon Ball Comparison
dragonball_zpsxilsu6ay.jpg

There's also lack of data for last entries of Dragon Ball, that left the Top 20. So I won't be able to continue this comparison from now. It seems that Ultimate Mission was above Fusions by this time, so probably it's not the best selling entry anymore. But still, the game is tracking to be the second best entry of Dragon Ball series on 3DS.

Minecraft Comparison
minecraft_zpse6yok4uf.jpg

As always, is amazing how well the Wii U entry is hanging despite being released later, at higher price and with hardware stock problems.

Yo-kai Watch Comparison
Yokai_zpsfr8idgep.jpg

Busters is every week further and further.

*This week will be the last time I compare a lot of games posted here.

Takao

Banned
Never doubt MH is all I'm going to say.

But I'm gonna laugh really hard if it fails to outsell that PSP Felyne game, lol. (that was the peak of the franchise but still, it would be an embarrassment)

PSP Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village [All Versions] 280.521 / 593.475 Capcom 8/26/2010
PSP Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village G 102.963 / 279.334 Capcom 8/10/2011
3DS Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village DX 52.272 / 117.232 Capcom 9/10/2015

I forgot how well that sold. It might actually be a challenge for MHS.

hiska-kun

I know it means nothing but Amazon.jp reviews:

Fifa 2017 4.4 stars
WE 2017 2.4 stars

lol

Fifa's legs will be interesting to watch.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I played Yokai Watch 1 and yes it's good but not anywhere near those numbers good. What is it with Japan and this game?

AniHawk

I was looking at Famitsu numbers for DQH I think. Lol.

The biggest concern I have about big titles in general in Japan, whether it be mid-range or the really big ones, is how they will transit to a PS4 only market. Persona 5 for example, is touching 400k now, but almost 90k of that is still PS3 sales. In Vita/PS4 titles, the Vita actually comes out -on top- consistently. The PS3/PS4 ratio is much better these days than 2 years ago for sure, but there's still a question of how many PS3 users will jump on to PS4 if a PS3 version does not exist.

FFXV and Yakuza 6 are going to be -really- interesting.

considering the shrinking playstation userbase, which seems to be declining a lot faster than the nintendo one over there, developers might need to consider western markets/localization when creating projects (stuff like criminal girls being a no, but more somewhat-accept stuff like neptunia being okay). if they have to branch out, it'll be to steam, which is also acknowledging the western market, go to mobile, which would represent a shift in development philosophies and business models, or support nintendo's thing.

to me, it seems like the easiest option would be to make those vita/ps4 games into ps4/nx games, as long as ports are easy. that's really for all the folks who are still sticking to the dedicated hardware part of the industry in japan and don't seem ready to move on. for the bigger companies, they're already doing ps4/x1/pc and looking at a worldwide market.

horuhe

I played Yokai Watch 1 and yes it's good but not anywhere near those numbers good. What is it with Japan and this game?

It just appeared in the right moment, in the right place (animation targetting kids with such a cool song). Don't ask too much about it.

L~A

PS3 VS PS4*This week will be the last time I compare a lot of games posted here.

Thanks a bunch for those! Looking forward to the next ones ;)

New Senran Kagura game to be revealed next week in Famitsu. Given the illustration at the link, and the fact that Takaki said that he wanted to make a game in VR, I think it's safe to assume it's some sort of VR FPS/TPS spin-off. So PS4-only.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201609/29117130.html

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Those are the whole of 2015 sales of the last Utawarerumono game vs. the FW sales of the new one.

What the hell happened? Lol.

The previous game was adapted into an anime, and it ended with a huge cliffhanger that's supposed to resolve in this game.

Ōkami

Dengeki

PlayStation 4 retail software sales in 2015 (Dec 29, 2014 - Jan 3, 2016): 4.947.008

PlayStation 4 retail software sales in 2016 so far (Jan 4 - Sep 25): 5.084.794

Wii U's peak was last year with 3.7m and about 1.6m Wii U games have been sold for the year so far (which is not much higher than PS3 software sales).

While it could be better, PS4 is showing itself as a rather healthy platform in Japan, not only by looking at general software sales, but how those games sell.

More than 60% of total Wii U software sales for the year so far come from just a handful of games, two of which weren't even released this year, and this applies to ever year of the system's life, for PS4 that's more like 25%, sales are much better distributed.

MacTag

Banned
Ōkami;218523416 said:
Dengeki

PlayStation 4 retail software sales in 2015 (Dec 29, 2014 - Jan 3, 2016): 4.947.008

Wii U's peak was last year with 3.7m and about 1.6m Wii U games have been sold for the year so far (which is not much higher than PS3 software sales).

While it could be better, PS4 is showing itself as a rather healthy platform in Japan, not only by looking at general software sales, but how those games sell.

More than 60% of total Wii U software sales for the year so far come from just a handful of games, two of which weren't even released this year, and this applies to ever year of the system's life, for PS4 that's more like 25%, sales are much better distributed.
It's logical a system will have a wider distribution on software sales when it has a disproportionately higher number of releases. I'm not sure healthy is really the word I'd use for PS4 software sales in general though and a comparison to Wii U, a dead system walking for several years now, doesn't do much to really prove otherwise. What happens when you put PS4 up against systems with a more competitive number of releases like Vita or 3DS?

Ōkami;218523416 said:
Dengeki

Comparing the PS4 to Wii U which is a dead system just proves how dead consoles are in Japan. Healthy is definitely not something the PS4 should be described as.

Kanann

Good hold for the PS4, shame it couldn't take over the crown from the 3DS just for this small time frame though, Pokemon should add a healthy boost over it.

Persona 5 ending up around 450k - 500k would be a great result for Atlus, hopefully with the increased awareness to the brand in Western markets means it should be hitting the million seller clubs next year.

It's already out in China no? I'm interested to know if it can replicate 0 and Kiwami's success there since Sega's pushing hard for that Chinese market.

It's out in all ASIA region, but no Chinese/Korean version yet.

duckroll

It's out in all ASIA region, but no Chinese/Korean version yet.

Ugh. I just checked the PS Store when I saw this, and I got super happy when I saw it there at a really great price.... only to see it's the PS4 version only. No PS3 digital release for Asia? Lame...

Ōkami;218523416 said:
Dengeki

The benefit of great third party support.

staen

I'm a bit sad about those One Piece sales. It may just be a reskin of Extreme Butoden, but that game was pretty fun if not lacking in modes/content. I was hoping this would be localized and thought it had a decent chance because of the crossplay with Extreme Butoden but those sales aren't helping.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./20. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.02.18} (¥4.700)
22./24. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800)
23./16. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200)
24./25. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.06.23} (¥5.700)
25./28. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
26./00. [PSV] Maji-Kyun! Renaissance # <ADV> (Broccoli) {2016.09.21} (¥5.980)
27./32. [3DS] Mario Tennis Open [Nintendo Selects] <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
28./22. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800)
29./30. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥5.700)
30./37. [3DS] 12-Sai. Koisuru Diary <ADV> (Happinet) {2016.08.04} (¥5.815)
31./29. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
32./44. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
33./27. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} (¥8.400)
34./23. [PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix) {2016.05.24} (¥7.800)
35./00. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon [Nintendo Selects] <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
36./17. [PS4] Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2016.09.08} (¥6.480)
37./10. [PS4] BioShock: The Collection <BioShock \ BioShock 2 \ BioShock Infinite> <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2016.09.15} (¥5.500)
38./36. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥6.980)
39./26. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200)
40./41. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.16} (¥4.800)
41./33. [PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2016.07.21} (¥6.800)
42./39. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.200)
43./43. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous) {2016.06.23} (¥4.980)
44./00. [3DS] Disney Art Academy <HOB> (Nintendo) {2016.04.07} (¥3.700)
45./46. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.000)
46./00. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D [Nintendo Selects] <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
47./38. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥7.900)
48./00. [PSV] Astraea no Shiroki Eien: White Eternity <ADV> (Dramatic Create) {2016.09.22} (¥7.800)
49./00. [PS4] Destiny: The Collection <Destiny \ Destiny: The Dark Below \ Destiny: House of Wolves \ Destiny: The Taken King \ Destiny: Rise of Iron> <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2016.09.21} (¥6.900)
50./00. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.200)

Top 50

3DS - 22
PS4 - 13
PSV - 6
WIU - 5
PS3 - 4

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    417.000 |    666.000 |    541.000 | 19.529.000 | 24.559.000 |

mao2

First day sell-through.

[PS4][PS3] FIFA 17 - 60%

[PSV] Demon Gaze II - 40%

[PS4] Dead Island Definitive Collection - 50%

Pachael

Ugh. I just checked the PS Store when I saw this, and I got super happy when I saw it there at a really great price.... only to see it's the PS4 version only. No PS3 digital release for Asia? Lame...

Yeah. In the end after finding out the Chinese version was pushed to 2017 I enquired with Play-Asia to change out the Chinese version to the Asia (Japanese) version. Same Japanese disc, slightly different cover (it says 'Japanese language on it), but was cheaper US$64 v US$83 with a week delay - it started shipping late last week.

Play Asia said the Chinese version would come out simultaneously, and they took it back. Still salty over it.

Same. With all the sub/dub talk (koff) and Sega looking to do more simultaneous Chinese / Japanese releases I was really looking forward to P5 with Japanese voice acting and Chinese subs (stronger on that language) on Day 1. In the end I'm still enjoying the Japanese version but I'm missing about a third of the nuance. :<

Also, by pushing it out to 2017 and probably near to the English release I'm likely to double dip on the English release rather than the Chinese one.

Seems like Atlus didn't let any localisation be done (English, Chinese or otherwise) prior to release considering the lead time between 9/15 and the localised releases.

EDIT: Thinking about it, perhaps the Chinese localisation team are already busy on Yakuza 6 so don't have time to do that and P5. Both games are really text heavy.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2016.09.29)

01./00. [PS4] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
02./01. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
03./00. [PSV] Demon Gaze 2 <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)
04./00. [PS3] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
05./00. [PS4] Dead Island: Definitive Collection <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
06./00. [PS4] FIFA 17 (Deluxe Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
07./00. [PSV] Haitaka no Psychedelica <ADV> (Idea Factory)
08./11. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
09./09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
10./03. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2016.09.29)

01./00. [PSV] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone’s New Semester of Killing (Limited Box) <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
02./00. [PS4] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone’s New Semester of Killing (Limited Box) <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
03./12. [PS4] World of Final Fantasy <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./09. [PSV] Macross Delta Scramble: Sound Edition <STG> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./03. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon (Double Pack) <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)

Aters

Same. With all the sub/dub talk (koff) and Sega looking to do more simultaneous Chinese / Japanese releases I was really looking forward to P5 with Japanese voice acting and Chinese subs (stronger on that language) on Day 1. In the end I'm still enjoying the Japanese version but I'm missing about a third of the nuance. :<

Also, by pushing it out to 2017 and probably near to the English release I'm likely to double dip on the English release rather than the Chinese one.

Seems like Atlus didn't let any localisation be done (English, Chinese or otherwise) prior to release considering the lead time between 9/15 and the localised releases.

EDIT: Thinking about it, perhaps the Chinese localisation team are already busy on Yakuza 6 so don't have time to do that and P5. Both games are really text heavy.

I'd trade the simul release of Yakuza 6 and Valkyria: not Valkytia Chronicles for P5 simul, now I just grabbed ToB instead.

duckroll

That's really quick for 550k. Those numbers probably include the Asian Japanese release which probably helped quite a bit both at retail and on PSN. If we take that into account, perhaps it'll hit up to 650k or even 700k before the English release in Feb. That would be really, really strong for Atlus.

duckroll

I wish P5 had sold an additional 5K copies before that announcement.

555K would have been poetic as fuck :v

That's not how it works. It could have sold anything from 550k to 559k and it would still say 550k because the Japanese numerical counter they are using for the announcement is not thousand but ten thousand. :p

orochi91

That's not how it works. It could have sold anything from 550k to 559k and it would still say 550k because the Japanese numerical counter they are using for the announcement is not thousand but ten thousand. :p
Fair play, in which case the current announcement is perfect as it is~~~

&#332;kami;218523416 said:
Dengeki

What about PS3 comparison?

Celine

So another HD Nintendo console releasing in time for the holidays. Let's hope it will be tracked!
I expect the NES Classic Mini to sell in the millions so I think at bare minimum Nintendo is going to state how much they have shipped in Japan and abroad.

First day sell-through.

[PSV] Demon Gaze II - 40%

Well that's not very hot.

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2016.09.29)

01./00. [PS4] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
02./01. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
03./00. [PSV] Demon Gaze 2 <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)
04./00. [PS3] FIFA 17 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
05./00. [PS4] Dead Island: Definitive Collection <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
06./00. [PS4] FIFA 17 (Deluxe Edition) <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
07./00. [PSV] Haitaka no Psychedelica <ADV> (Idea Factory)
08./11. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
09./09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
10./03. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2016.09.29)

01./00. [PSV] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone’s New Semester of Killing (Limited Box) <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
02./00. [PS4] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone’s New Semester of Killing (Limited Box) <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
03./12. [PS4] World of Final Fantasy <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./09. [PSV] Macross Delta Scramble: Sound Edition <STG> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./03. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon (Double Pack) <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)

Ehh, I'm not sure that position is that great in this chart either.

At least DanganRonpa is off to a decent start. And Macross is finally showing up somewhere! I don't think it's going to do very well, though.

Top Bottom