• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

Dave, best case scenario, what would you realistically like to see happen for Vita and its possible successor?

I don't see there being a real successor to the Vita. I think Sony's going to ride the Vita out for another year or so and then it's done. They've already killed off big budget games for it, so Tearaway and Killzone are most likely the last of the high profile releases they're pushing.

So, really, it's up to third parties to see some value in pushing Vita games and, at least in Japan, they seem to be warming up to it. Maybe we'll get lucky and before the system is kaput we'll get a Persona 3 Golden release. Maybe.

zeromcd73

Honestly, it doesn't really matter how PS4 sells this year.
I pray for PS4 next year.

GodEater2RB, Bloodborne, DQHeroes, FFtype0HD, SenKagura, Disgaea, Y's, OnePieceKM3, FF15demo, Persona5, Yakuza0, RE:Rev2, MGSV, deepdown, Gundam please save PS4.

Hopefully SCEJ have some games ready and some more third party titles courted too :)

daxgame

Happy about Fatal Frame numbers, even if the difference between MC and Famitsu is funny. Pretty much the same numbers as the Wii one anyway.
The only difference is that I'm sure legs will be worse... I hope that after xmas it'll be after 50k at least =)

crinale

For past like 2 years Sony must have found it's futile to go against Nintendo in Japanese holiday anyway, so marketing budget and such must have shifted to overseas market.

Exile20

Yoshi's New Island's slow crawl to 200k was almost as agonising as listening to its soundtrack. Almost.

On the flipside, it's sad to see so many Wii U games not having much stamina after their soft launches. What are the chances of Mario 3D World, DKC:TF, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame 5 or even Wonderful 101 getting a new run/chart comeback during the holidays when Nintendo hardware traditionally sells in large quantities?

I'm guessing chances are low. This holiday, the Wii U is likely to be a Smash and Mario Kart machine.

Toad also. Dont forget the little guy.

If Smash attracts games like the 3ds then I can see those games coming back since it is close to xmas and people pick up more then one game.

SmokyDave

Wii U might be up YOY these holidays, thanks to SSB and MK8 legacy (and probably some bundle); and Wii U sold better than PSV last year's December. Also 3DS has a high chance of being up these holidays. This shows just how lazy Sony is wrt PSV in Japan.
Wii U, fair enough.

The 3DS absolutely will not, unless you're including the New 3DS. I guess I can see why you would, but it is a new system ultimately.

Sony has been complacent in handling the Vita everywhere. The only difference is that it might have actually mattered in Japan.

Again, the YoY thing is of no real importance. It's just a novelty number that I'd place a bet on for shits and giggles.

maxcriden

Best case? Hang on in there for another 2 years and give me 3-4 titles on the level of Dynasty Warriors 8 (amongst the constant flood of cross-buy indies). That's the most I'd ask for.

There will not be another dedicated handheld from Sony. Simple as.

I don't see there being a real successor to the Vita. I think Sony's going to ride the Vita out for another year or so and then it's done. They've already killed off big budget games for it, so Tearaway and Killzone are most likely the last of the high profile releases they're pushing.

So, really, it's up to third parties to see some value in pushing Vita games and, at least in Japan, they seem to be warming up to it. Maybe we'll get lucky and before the system is kaput we'll get a Persona 3 Golden release. Maybe.

I think these are reasonable views. I do think we could see a Sony smartphone with dedicated handheld support or first-party cross-buy software.

Wii U, fair enough.

The 3DS absolutely will not, unless you're including the New 3DS. I guess I can see why you would, but it is a new system ultimately.

Sony has been complacent in handling the Vita everywhere. The only difference is that it might have actually mattered in Japan.

Again, the YoY thing is of no real importance. It's just a novelty number that I'd place a bet on for shits and giggles.

New 3DS is not a new system, but a system revision. December 2013 was quite weak for 3DS, and this year there are Pokémon at the end of November, Yo-kai Watch 2 phenomenon, and long-seller such as Super Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter. I can see 3DS doing better than last year during holidays.

edit: nvm you guys are talking about holidays and not the whole year

actually even then Wii U might not if they botch the holidays

Exile20

I think these are reasonable views. I do think we could see a Sony smartphone with dedicated handheld support or first-party cross-buy software.

This will never work. If they add traditional controls to the phone, it will be another N-Gage.

If it is a phone with a wireless controller they will still have to compete with Apple and Samsung and a bunch of others.

Do mobile users want games that take time to play instead of the traditional mobile pickup and play games?

phanphare

Banned
there's the 3DS drop

damn, I'm surprised it stayed where it did for as long as it did. I wonder how the n3DS/LL will do. are their sales going to be separated or lumped with the old 3DS?

Takao

Banned
i thought bayonetta 2's sales were supposed to increase this week since last week only accounted for 46 hours 27 minutes 9 seconds

Exile20

New 3DS is not a new system, but a system revision. December 2013 was quite weak for 3DS, and this year there are Pokémon at the end of November, Yo-kai Watch 2 phenomenon, and long-seller such as Super Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter. I can see 3DS doing better than last year during holidays.

The 3DS is going to dominate well into next year.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate October 11, 2014
New Nintendo 3DS October 11, 2014
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire November 21, 2014
Pokémon Omega Ruby November 21, 2014
Final Fantasy Explorers December 18, 2014

Bonus: Amiibo - November 1, 2014 Possible date?

I posted this in another thread.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet retail chain: preorder stats / comparisons, as of October 1st, 2014

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - 780pt + 229pt = 1009pt*
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3055pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 2150pt

[3DS] Pokémon Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby - 303pt + 255pt + 93pt = 651pt

[3DS] Tales of the Abyss - 75pt*
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 30pt*
[PS3] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles - 104pt
[3DS] Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - 53pt

[PS3] Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix - 147pt
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix - 67pt + 30pt = 97pt

[PS3] The Evil Within - 51pt

[PS4] The Evil Within - 43pt

[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova - 36pt

[Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 26pt

* = Comg preorder pts from 2011/2012
** = Comg preorder pts up to 2010

Note: Comgnet's ratio between actual sales and pts has grown overall in the past year / years, and older preorder points are not as reliable for comparisons as most recent ones, especially if they are from years and years ago

This will never work. If they add traditional controls to the phone, it will be another N-Gage.

If it is a phone with a wireless controller they will still have to compete with Apple and Samsung and a bunch of others.

Do mobile users want games that take time to play instead of the traditional mobile pickup and play games?

To be honest, I'm not sure the N-Gage idea was itself bad as much as it was:
1. A bit too early to the party.
2. Badly executed

crinale

I was expecting Komaru & Fukawa being protagonists would put off female gamers (DR series do have notable amount of female gamer fans) but that wasn't the case it seems.

Eolz

Some nice first week sales, disappointing for the other games.
Hardware sales showing the New 3DS is coming I guess.

Celine

Nov/Dec 2012

0gnfOt2.png

lol
Embarrassing.

SmokyDave

I can't imagine that either the 3DS or the 3DS LL will come anywhere near their numbers from last year, but I think the New 3DS and New 3DSLL will more than bridge the gap. Perhaps that's the best way of putting it!

Of course, the 3DS and 3DSLL will have their YTDs further battered by the launch of the 'New' machines, so it's not that surprising.

It can play games the original cannot, it's a new system, just like the DSi and the GBC.

Exile20

To be honest, I'm not sure the N-Gage idea was itself bad as much as it was:
1. A bit too early to the party.
2. Badly executed

It will do even worst in this age because people are obsessed with slim, sleek, big screen, clean design phones.

When the N-Gage was release in 2003 we had these phones
Nokia 1100, 250 million sold[1]
Nokia 3100/3120, 50 million sold
Nokia 3200/3220, 30 million sold
Nokia 2100, 20 million sold
Samsung SGH-E700, 15 million sold
Nokia N-Gage, 3 million sold
Nokia 6600, 2 million sold

All bulky, lots of buttons, plastic, etc like the N-Gage and it still failed. Nokia was also at the top of thier games during that time. Look above, out of the 7 best phones, 6 are Nokia.

The way Sony handled the Vita I expect them to execute badly also.

test_account

XP-39C²
This week, 3DS is down almost exactly 50% (~1.5 million units) YOY. It shall be interesting to see how much the New 3DS can do to close this gap.

Jamix012

Comgnet retail chain: preorder stats / comparisons, as of October 1st, 2014

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - 780pt + 229pt = 1009pt*
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3055pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 2150pt

[3DS] Pokémon Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby - 303pt + 255pt + 93pt = 651pt

[3DS] Tales of the Abyss - 75pt*
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 30pt*
[PSV] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles - 104pt
[3DS] Tales of the World: Reve Unitia - 53pt

[PS3] Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix - 147pt
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix - 67pt + 30pt = 97pt

[PS3] The Evil Within - 51pt

[PS4] The Evil Within - 43pt

[PSV] Phantasy Star Nova - 36pt

[Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 26pt

* = Comg preorder pts from 2011/2012
** = Comg preorder pts up to 2010

Note: Comgnet's ratio between actual sales and pts has grown overall in the past year / years, and older preorder points are not as reliable for comparisons as most recent ones, especially if they are from years and years ago

Thanks for this, it really puts some things into perspective. But thought I'd point out this is at least the 2nd week you've listed ToS:C as a Vita game when it's actually a PS3 game.

This week, 3DS is down almost exactly 50% (~1.5 million units) YOY. It shall be interesting to see how much the New 3DS can do to close this gap.

It's impossible to completely close the gap, but if they aren't up YoY for December sales that would be a big problem.

If Somy can combine PSP and Vita then I'm sure Media Create can combine 3DS and its revision.

These have nothing to do with each other though. One is purposely misleading.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Most interesting to watch is how Q4 2014 will be compared to Q4 2013, not just for 3DS but every other system.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's impossible to completely close the gap, but if they aren't up YoY for December sales that would be a big problem.
Yeah, i dont think the 3DS will be up YOY when the year is done. But the gap should close noticeably i think.

Most interesting to watch is how Q4 2014 will be compared to Q4 2013, not just for 3DS but every other system.
Yeah, that should be interesting to see as well, i agree. Its the first holiday season for PS4 as well (i'm not sure if much can be expected from that though).

It can play games the original cannot, it's a new system, just like the DSi and the GBC.
It can play ONE game the original can't (so far anyways). It's not a new system. Neither is the DSi or GBC. I guess the bigger point is that Nintendo, Media Create, Famitsu, nor anyone else agrees with you on this, so New 3DS will count as part of the 3DS family in sales and rightfully so.

Mory Dunz

3DS seems too high, considering.

Wii U is Wii U, what else is new?
Wonder If Hyrule can rechart with DLC.

Also wonder if old U games can get a good bump with Christmas.

One PS4 and 0 XBone titles. Welcome to this generation.

more like welcome to bad logic

I pray for PS4 next year.

GodEater2RB, Bloodborne, DQHeroes, FFtype0HD, SenKagura, Disgaea, Y's, OnePieceKM3, FF15demo, Persona5, Yakuza0, RE:Rev2, MGSV, deepdown, Gundam please save PS4.

Hopefully SCEJ have some games ready and some more third party titles courted too :)

Hot shots and a slim chance of FFXV.

gamechanger to what? PS4?

DQ is a bigger franchise than FF in Japan and seeing how much of a system seller FF's have been for Playstation home consoles, I think people are assuming that a DQ PS4 would sell even more PS4's. Sure that may not be out of the question, but only if DQ11 is a PS4 exclusive which is unlikely. Nevertheless the prospect of the DQ series (not just mainline DQ's) being on PS4 will certainly help that ecosystem.

Honestly I see FFXV as being PS4's most important title.
Cross-thread-posting.

Gamechanger to anything really.

It's not going to prevent the massive decline in home consoles. It's not going to return Japan to its relevance in the global market. It's not really going to return SE to their glory. It's not going to save the PS4 from its doldrums, it's the cumulative output that will be needed. And so on and so forth.

It's just another franchise. A big one in Japan, granted.

Last gen coming off of the PS2 era and the heyday of JRPGs there were meltdowns about where DQ went I'm sure. There were meltdowns about FF going multiplat. I don't really expect that to happen going forward though.

Oemenia

Banned

I can't see why SE have shown it so little support, even some old ports would make them good money.

z0m3le

Banned
If Vita and VitaTV are counted together, there is no reason to count n3DS as a separate product from 3DS, it is considered a revision by Nintendo and they are releasing another system in 2016. Atleast Iwata's '2 years' statement made it clear, not to mention that their next handheld and console are in development together and will share an architecture, i doubt it would be based on ARM11...

Well there's the truth about Bayonetta 2 in Japan for all to see

It sucks but it's going to have serious trouble breaking 100k LTD and has significatntly underperformed even the 360 SKU of Bayonetta 1 which was on 40% less an install base

3DD doing well for new hardware about to hit. Vita bump is okay but maybe a bit low considering all the software. Wii u bump is nice but largely irrelevant. PS4 free falling again

Fatal frame doesn't seem to out of line with past titles

While FF is on par with older titles, these are still horrid numbers, which Tecmo Koei can not be satisfied with. They certainly didn't start a cross media push for the IP, just for the game to stay in the 20k pool.

And Bayo 2 further demonstrates how even the Wii U userbase has rightfully given up on this machine (as if even underperforming Nintendo titles weren't proof enough). Even with all the ,,different audience'', ,,Platinum curse'', etc. talk, not even reaching the 1st week sales of the Bayonetta 360 version anytime soon is abysmal, regardless of context.
This console is over after 2015.

Top Bottom