• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

Alrus

I think people are just tired of crappy party games. I expect Mario Party 9 to be one of the worst selling Mario Parties.

Wii Party sold and still sells really really well though, so there's still demand for that kind of games. That said I don't expect MP 9 to do that well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hopefully ISWii has Taiko Legs. Anything under 200k would be really bad imo.

Speaking of which Taiko Wii 4 is back in the top 20! Why isn't there a 3DS version yet? Ditto for Powapuro?

...But didn't Taiko debut last week? With 32k?
You can say it only lost something like 50%, not bad for a second week.

However, we'll see what happens in the rest of the Holiday.

P.S. Taiko 3DS will probably be released next Summer, just like the other Taiko for the DS...and Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX for PSP

Wii LTD in Japan is only 11 million?

PSP LTD is 7 million more?

I guess I don't follow these threads closely. I would have guessed those two numbers would have been reversed.
Wii's close to 12m, PSP's more like 6.5m more (6m by Famitsu). Wii had an awful year though, I think it's probably going to finish out around 12.5m in the end. So much wasted potential/opportunity.

I wonder if PS3 can catch it in the end? Sony made up about 500k this year, but they're still so far behind?

The thought of OOT 3DS doing better than SS is lol-able. Hope that doesn't happen, but at the same time maybe Nintendo should start putting more effort in their handheld Zeldas...

waicol

Banned
Wii LTD in Japan is only 11 million?

PSP LTD is 7 million more?

I guess I don't follow these threads closely. I would have guessed those two numbers would have been reversed.

Handhelds always sell more than consoles, they are cheaper and you need more than one for multiplayer. And in Japan it's so easy to play local mp.

...But didn't Taiko debut last week? With 32k?
You can say it only lost something like 50%, not bad for a second week.

However, we'll see what happens in the rest of the Holiday.

P.S. Taiko 3DS will probably be released next Summer, just like the other Taiko for the DS...and Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX for PSP
My bad, I thought Taiko was 2 weeks ago. :3

Yeah, Taiko 3DS next summer works. I wonder about Powapuro though, will 3DS continue the Kun Pocket series from GB/GBA/DS or will the main series extend over from PSP/PS3?

duckroll

The thought of OOT 3DS doing better than SS is lol-able. Hope that doesn't happen, but at the same time maybe Nintendo should start putting more effort in their handheld Zeldas...

Why would they have to? Even if they don't put any effort in them, they still sell better than the console ones. Maybe Nintendo should just stop making console Zeldas, and continue to push out cheap but highly profitable handheld Zeldas and ports. Best profit combo.

Erethian

With the performance of SS in the US, shows the differences between the two markets.

But we've known for a little while now that Japan prefers their Zelda in handheld form.

Gaborn

Wii's close to 12m, PSP's more like 6.5m more (6m by Famitsu). Wii had an awful year though, I think it's probably going to finish out around 12.5m in the end. So much wasted potential/opportunity.

I wonder if PS3 can catch it in the end? Sony made up about 500k this year, but they're still so far behind?

Sony would have to keep it's current sales pace for the PS3 for 5 more years. I would expect a slow steady decline for PS3 and I'm not sure it's going to last 5 more years. I think they're going to totally focus on their next system sooner than later. The math is really tough for them.

Edit: and I should say by "last" I mean in a meaningful way in which this discussion is relevant. If it's still selling but only at half this pace in 3 years will anyone care? and then what about half of that? and so on. It might be around, but I don't see it passing Wii.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
My bad, I thought Taiko was 2 weeks ago. :3

Yeah, Taiko 3DS next summer works. I wonder about Powapuro though, will 3DS continue the Kun Pocket series from GB/GBA/DS or will the main series extend over from PSP/PS3?

...Maybe both on the platform, with the main series on PSP/PS3/3DS and the Kun Series exclusive to 3DS, in order to cater to both Pawapuro audiences?
Or just unifying them in an only one Jikkyou Pawapuro 3D?

Wow @ Gundam numbers. Great 3DS numbers. Not bad PSP numbers. Why the hell did it get a boost?

-There we go. 3DS sales boost and the software sales to match. Good on Nintendo.
-PSP doesn't care that Vita is coming out. It doesn't give a shit, it just sells what it wants to.
-WHO IS STILL BUYING THESE PS2s ?! A this rate, the PS2 YTD is going to have almost zero depreciation.
-Skyward Sword will need to settle into some kind of holding pattern and quick. It's going to be a really hard ride to acceptable numbers.

PS2 will never die.

Bad second week for Zelda. :(

Great start for MK7 and another good week for 3DS. PS3 also managing to keep up with last year's sales, so more good news. Nice Wii rise, the holiday buying must have started in earnest then. I expect December will be Wii > PS3, but nowhere near enough to overhaul the YTD totals.

I expect OOT3D to outsell SS worldwide to be honest. 2nd Zeldas per platform never really do as well (Adventure of Link, Majora's Mask, Oracles, Twilight Princess GC, Spirit Tracks).

DR2K

Banned
Why would they have to? Even if they don't put any effort in them, they still sell better than the console ones. Maybe Nintendo should just stop making console Zeldas, and continue to push out cheap but highly profitable handheld Zeldas and ports. Best profit combo.

they could always port Skyward Sword to the 3DS.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Great 3DS HW numbers.
Great MK7 debut.
Great 3DLand surge.

God, Nintendo and fans are gonna go back to being unbearably smug.

BurntPork

Banned
One thing's for sure: Nintendo will never require an add-on (without shipping it with the game for free) for Zelda ever again....

... Or has the world gotten sick of Zelda?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Great 3DS HW numbers.
Great MK7 debut.
Great 3DLand surge.

Maybe its fans, but I would hope Nintendo would stay humble for a while after the near-disaster of the 3DS and the drastic falling off of Wii.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

You could say that for almost all of their classic IPS - Kirby, Mario, Zelda etc. they all sell better on handhelds in Japan even with low dev costs and shorter dev time.

Smash Bros. 3DS will probably outsell its WiiU counterpart too.

DR2K

Banned
That would cost more and take more time than just farming out a cheapo Majora's Mask port to the same people who made OoT3D. Why put in effort?

Well they'll eventually have to run out of Zelda's to reasonably port.

giggas

Real bummer about Zelda sales, but it's almost expected. Still, it would have been nice to see it pull through.

I can understand why OOT3D did better than SS. On top of the nostalgia factor, there was nothing for 3DS and people were likely chomping at the bit to play something new on their 3DS. With SS, the kind of person that would want to play it are probably just done with their Wii. Pretty broad assumption, but yeah.

At Kart and the 3DS though...

it-has-begun.jpeg

Sony would have to keep it's current sales pace for the PS3 for 5 more years. I would expect a slow steady decline for PS3 and I'm not sure it's going to last 5 more years. I think they're going to totally focus on their next system sooner than later. The math is really tough for them.

Edit: and I should say by "last" I mean in a meaningful way in which this discussion is relevant. If it's still selling but only at half this pace in 3 years will anyone care? and then what about half of that? and so on. It might be around, but I don't see it passing Wii.

I think it may be possible and in 4 years or less. Wii sales are likely to drop off significantly when the Wii U is released which will probably happen far in advance of the PS4 launch, giving Sony's PS3 more sustained sales. I'm also anticipating the PS Vita to have a strong showing in Japan and with the synergy Sony is creating between the PS3 and PSV they could experience a bit of sales growth. I see publishers continuing to support the PS3 long after Wii third party support has dropped. Will anyone care by then? Who knows.

Well they'll eventually have to run out of Zelda's to reasonably port.

SS would take some serious redesign work though. MM, TWW and TP could all come over basically as is, and I doubt 3DS will be around long enough to get more than 4 Zelda conversions.

DR2K

Banned
SS would take some serious redesign work though. MM, TWW and TP could all come over basically as is, and I doubt 3DS will be around long enough to get more than 4 Zelda conversions.

1 Zelda per year or so seems reasonable. Especially if it's enhanced ports.

I think it may be possible and in 4 years or less. Wii sales are likely to drop off significantly when the Wii U is released which will probably happen far in advance of the PS4 launch, giving Sony's PS3 more sustained sales. I'm also anticipating the PS Vita to have a strong showing in Japan and with the synergy Sony is creating between the PS3 and PSV they could experience a bit of sales growth. I see publishers continuing to support the PS3 long after Wii third party support has dropped. Will anyone care by then? Who knows.
Wii 3rd party support died like 2 years ago. I also think a strong argument can be made that Vita will eat into PS3 sales rather than help them.

Fuuuuuuuck, Itadaki Street completely ruined my predictions. :(

Well I was pretty far off on Gundam too I suppose. I was like, 50 off on Assassin's Creed which sorta blows my mind.

Road

No, it's not possible.

Japan doesn't love Zelda much anymore. I expect it to sell wildly worldwide though, which ultimately is what Nintendo expects

Great 3DS HW numbers.
Great MK7 debut.
Great 3DLand surge.

epZHC.png

I'd rather have one more Nintendo fan than else

Gaborn

COMPLETELY wishful thinking.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
And to think that Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land are doing even better in US and EU. (Unless they just combined those two numbers to put a positive spin on that news.)

3DS is definitely going to crack 4 million now. It's so good to see it doing so well.

Skyward Sword on the other hand... :(

One thing's for sure: Nintendo will never require an add-on (without shipping it with the game for free) for Zelda ever again....

... Or has the world gotten sick of Zelda?

I really doubt the motion plus requirement has hurt zelda, I'm sure by now the vast majority of Wii owners must have motion plus in some form, what's probably hurt it more is nintendo's bizare refusal to drop the Wii price in Japan, if they had it might have convinced more people without Wiis (or that have sold their Wii) to buy a new one for zelda

I don't see the logic in how Vita sales could cannibalize PS3 sales by any significant amount.
You don't see how having a competitive handheld with most of the same games/franchises wouldn't cannibalize a console in handheld loving Japan?

Frankly I don't see the logic in how Vita helps PS3 so much. PS3 is going to have to face the first viable alternative HD platform in Vita, which is something it's never really had to do deal with before (lol 360). Not to mention Wii U next year, which I can see plenty of JP devs targeting as a new multiport destination. We may not have to wait for PS4 too see PS3 sinking.

They need to bang out a quick 'New The Legend of Zelda' ala NSMB before 3D Zelda will sell again. How depressing it must be for those involved... 3-5 years dev time, and sales fizzled in a few weeks :(

AniHawk

it's funny because skyward sword was soooo way more of an anime than previous zelda games.

i think the five year gap killed the console games, not to mention the thing coming out on a dead system. maybe a touch screen console zelda released during the middle of that system's life will do better.

3ds sales are pretty good. what's the guess for december, 1.2-1.5m?

Top Bottom