• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's BurntPork, dude.

I know, it seems too much even for him. I like the kid, I think he's funny. I also think he's probably doing these shenanigans on purpose now, nobody who spends this much time on a gaming forum talking sales and following game news with such dedication can honestly say out loud, or even begin to think, something that stupid. Not crazy, just fucking stupid. He probably enjoys the fallout.

Jonnyram

Just letting you know, if those are vg.chartz, it's a bannable offense to post them.

Meanwhile, Amazon still has MH3G+Slide Pad special pack, if anyone needs them.
Three in stock right now lol.

cvxfreak

Not anymore!

EDIT: Referring to the Amazon stock.

The actual Amazon JP also just cut their 12/16 restock discount in half. Before, it was 24% off. Now, it's just 13% off.

Well I don't know if Tomodachi will be nearly as big as the last one... Isn't it a very much "expanded audience" title? Nintendogs didn't fare so well...

Anyway, it will probably be a slow burner, no big numbers right out of the gate.

I think Tomodachi Collection 3DS has the potential to do a lot better than the DS version because of Mii creation being on the system and the extra online and AR features.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think Tomodachi Collection 3DS has the potential to do a lot better than the DS version because of Mii creation being on the system and the extra online and AR features.

This and Animal Crossing should really benefit from Street Pass.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Japanese auction of choice is Yahoo, Ebay not so much

http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/auction/SI...e5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e117467254

here you go, white Limited Edition 3DS with 3 mins to go - 22,000 yen at the moment.

AAAnnnd now finished: final price of 22,500 yen.

Infact -

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=3G&auccat=0&tab_ex=commerce&ei=euc-jp

there's a load of auctions going on - and the Limiteds are hitting 22,500 yen. Lot of copies of the game on there as well.
So... erm...

Jonnyram

Wow. They don't seem to be going above retail price that much.
That said, you probably wouldn't get them much quicker than waiting for the new shipment on Thursday at this point.

Tenbatsu

Japanese auction of choice is Yahoo, Ebay not so much

http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/auction/SI...e5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e117467254

here you go, white Limited Edition 3DS with 3 mins to go - 22,000 yen at the moment.

AAAnnnd now finished: final price of 22,500 yen.

Infact -

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=3G&auccat=0&tab_ex=commerce&ei=euc-jp

there's a load of auctions going on - and the Limiteds are hitting 22,500 yen. Lot of copies of the game on there as well.
So... erm...
22500yen is cheap. Good to be in Japan.

DCharlie

Good to be in Japan.

dealing with people through Yahoo Auctions is usually very pleasant but always a pain in the arse! :)

I wish they'd just use Ebay but the Japanese love that two way communication thing

extralite

Why not? The principle that a title's performance is heavily affected by people's response to its predecessor is one of the foundational elements of sales analysis. When people buy something and feel burned, they stay away from its followups, even if the evidence suggests that there's a big improvement. On the DS, Namco released one insultingly awful title and one extremely mediocre one before putting a serious effort on the platform -- to suggest that this had no effect on Tales of Hearts is ludicrous.
You played them? Tempest I knew had bad reception and it also wasn't a mothership title. Innocence I thought looked pretty good when I saw it on the Nintendo Channel, didn't knew it was considered mediocre. It's getting a PS3 remake now too. Hearts was more 2d like, each of them was by a different team and they still all sold about the same. I'm still not buying into the salted ground explanation.
This is way more of a stretch than anything I said. Phantasia didn't do well on SNES because it was a brand-new IP released on an expensive cart at the very tail end of a generation. It also had almost nothing to do with the values of the Tales brand as we think of them now: it had no skits, no anime sequences, it was balls-hard, etc. This is basically like bringing up the way FF1 sold in the US to make an argument about modern sales.
I was arguing price of medium and new IP myself, emphasizing it even, so no need to repeat it. Still Arc the Lad was using similar sprite aesthetics and succeeded as a new IP, so price should be more important than the skits and anime sequences.
The case on the GameCube is the same as the case on the Wii, only moreso: the GCN was a failure of a system which nothing performed well on in Japan.
Yet GC Symphonia remains the most successful Tales game outside of stationary Sony console Tales. What really salted any non-Sony Tales release is the fact that all major polygonal mothership releases got definite versions on some Playstation. Symphonia PS2 beat the GC sales and combined the game sold close to Destiny. Vesperia, Graces and now Innocence all went to PS3. This tells Sony fans that there's really no need to switch platforms. The ones who do (to GC, 360, DS and Wii, if only temporarily) decrease in numbers.
These arguments are always built on fallacious correlation-equals-causation logic. Tales has performed well on specific platforms not because they're made by Sony, but because there are some features that Sony consoles have all shared (lots of storage space and ability to handle anime cutscenes), some situations that helped Sony historically (i.e. being the twice-running market leader during Tales' growth as a franchise), and some factors that have been coincidental recently (i.e. 360's DOA status in Japan leaving PS3 as the go-to system for Japanese console games.) Those don't correspond to any innate predictive power, where you can guarantee some future platform will be the only place for Tales simply because it's made by Sony, unless you actually dig down and consider the real causal factors underneath.
You attack a lot of points I never argued. The ones you cite as real reasons I did argue though. Maybe you're addressing your arguments to the wrong person. The fact remains that Playstation and Tales success go hand in hand and that Sony fans who wait out the other platform releases get their superior versions in the end.

I can see Tales succeeding on another platform than a Sony one. If Sony were to be completely crushed that is. As long as Playstation will sell any other system will have trouble winning over the Tales crowd.
Yeah that's just not accurate at all.
Okay, DQ remakes did also sell well, as they do everywhere. FF did worse than on late SNES even, more in line with NES and early SNES sales. Sure they're remakes (a first for the series too, not much in way of decent comparison) and Crystal Chronicle games but the fact remains they sold less and less with each release. Atlus games sold less than on PS1/2, more like on SNES. Tales sold much less, N1 sold less, new IPs sold less than on PS1, anything sold less than on PS1/2.

I'm not really sure we have enough data to say that "mid level" RPGs didn't happen at all until PS1, or that the data we do have even supports that claim. Famistu tracking only seems to go back to late 1994 (though they would on occasion give out older figures), so it's leaving out a huge chunk of SFC's lifespan but here's what I could find for non-DQ/FF RPGs over 200k:

Chrono Trigger (Square) 2,030,000
Seiken Densetsu 2 (Square) 1,500,000
Romancing SaGa 3 (Square) 1,300,000
Romancing SaGa 2 (Square) 1,170,000
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo) 1,089,795
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Square) 647,288
Tactics Ogre (Quest) 503,977
Bahamut Lagoon (Square) 474,680
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Nintendo) 429,673
RPG Maker 2 (ASCII) 234,923
Tales of Phantasia (Namco) 228,738
Tengai Makyo Zero (Hudson) 200,202
Yeah, Square was the only one to contribute to the around million selling RPG IPs on SNES which I was referring to. This changed on CD consoles.
Additionally Saturn managed some decent mid-level RPG hits around the same period (late 1994 to early 1998).

Super Robot Tasien F Complete Chapter (Banpresto) 513,782
Sakura Taisen 2 (Sega) 509,091
Super Robot Tasien F (Banpresto) 464,169
Sakura Taisen (Sega) 359,485
Devil Summoner (Atlus) 355,656
Grandia (ESP) 344,555
Dragon Force (Sega) 272,166
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) 258,678
Tengai Makyo: The 4th Reveleation (Hudson) 234,932
Lunar: Silver Star Story (Kadokawa) 200,035

And since you brought them up, for some perspective:

[PS] Genso Suikoden (Konami) 167,000
[PS] Genso Suikoden II (Konami) 374,319

[SFC] Star Ocean (Enix) 175,861
[PS] Star Ocean: The Second Story (Enix) 700,458

[PS] Tales of Destiny (Namco) 829,618
[PS] Tales of Phantasia (Namco) 550,393
[PS] Tales of Eternia (Namco) 669,248

[PS] Arc the Lad (SCE) 1,090,000
[PS] Arc the Lad II (SCE) 816,949
[PS] Arc the Lad III (SCE) 379,040

[PS] Persona (Atlus) 391,556
[PS] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) 274,798
[PS] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) 200,103

Suikoden did worse than I thought. But anyway, Tales and Star Ocean are the main games I was referring to. Atlus also increased on PS1 and 2. Decreased again on DS.

For early sales numbers from before PS1 I can recommend Japanese Wikipedia btw.

You played them?

You can ask around. Tempest was a complete abortion, the whole game was about 7 hours long with awful gameplay. Innocence was at least a full game but the general response has been pretty negative overall (and it was outsourced.) Hearts was widely received positively and got good reviews; it has noticeably higher production values and was actually developed by members of Tales Studio.

Regardless, the quality of Innocence is up for a good amount of debate but Tempest really isn't. It is probably one of the worst products that's ever been put out ostensibly as a main entry in a high-budget, high-profile franchise.

I'm still not buying into the salted ground explanation.

Based on... what? Do you believe it isn't generally true that games perform worse as a result of how their predecessors were received? (In that case, your presumptions are just wrong.) Or do you believe that Tales is unusually resilient against this effect, even though Tempest is an almost unprecedentedly bad "effort"? (In that case, I think you need to spell out your argument a little better than just "I don't buy it.")

Still Arc the Lad was using similar sprite aesthetics and succeeded as a new IP

This is an awful comparison. It's on a different platform, at a completely different time in that platform's life (i.e. at the start of a generation, when new IP has always been the most successful); it was a first-party title on a new system that was aggressively seeking to win marketshare (with the attendant marketing benefits that implies); it included technological advances (like orchestral music and video sequences) that were still huge selling points at the time of its release.

Like, seriously, this comparison is so bad.

The fact remains that Playstation and Tales success go hand in hand and that Sony fans who wait out the other platform releases get their superior versions in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

- bunch of horrendously cherry-picked data -

Your intense unwillingness to compare apples to apples here is irksome. The DS is quite straightforwardly the best performer for RPGs in Japan (12 RPGs above 1m LTD, another 8 above 500,000) amongst its class (DS/PSP/PS3/360/Wii). Its software successes are unambiguous and your comparison poins on individual franchises are selectively chosen to prove your point -- saying DQ "does well everywhere" (even though it performed far better on DS overall than it did on PS2) then turning around and citing minor 50k wobbles in minor franchise performance as proof positive of Playstation superiority.

cvxfreak

The Mario Kart 7 sales report came last Tuesday in the evening. If MH3G had a bigger start, then we might get a report around the same time today too.

MH3G was sold out at Tsutaya in Namba with a sign saying they didn't know when they were getting more. Every other store had stock of the regular edition of the game.

Currently pulling a 3.5/5 on Amazon, in line with Tri. 3rd Portable holds a 4.0, 2nd G a 4.0, and 2nd a 4.5.

randomkid

The DS is quite straightforwardly the best performer for RPGs in Japan (12 RPGs above 1m LTD, another 8 above 500,000)

Just curious, can you list the non-Nintendo, non-remake ones? DS gets called the new PS2 a lot but I feel like it really dropped the ball when it came to successful new RPGs this generation, but maybe I'm overestimating the number of remakes and Pokemon games. Just kinda feels like a super remake and port-heavy generation, with the PSP being the number 1 offender (maybe of all time?)

sphinx

the piano man
Just curious, can you list the non-Nintendo, non-remake ones? DS gets called the new PS2 a lot but I feel like it really dropped the ball when it came to successful new RPGs this generation, but maybe I'm overestimating the number of remakes and Pokemon games. Just kinda feels like a super remake and port-heavy generation, with the PSP being the number 1 offender (maybe of all time?)

the DS was THE rpg system just based on Etrian Odyssey, from atlus, all-new for the system with 2 sequels. Phenomenal series.

SE produced a lot of RPGs with mixed results but support was WAY bigger than for any of the current big consoles.

duckroll

the DS was THE rpg system just based on Etrian Odyssey, from atlus, all-new for the system with 2 sequels. Phenomenal series.

SE produced a lot of RPGs with mixed results but support was WAY bigger than for any of the current big consoles.

We're talking about sales here.

Truth101

Banned

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime -- 293,970
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker -- 1,458,149
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings -- 524,009
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate -- 389,845
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Sealed Grimoire -- 287,871
Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light -- 252,309
Inazuma Eleven -- 401,820
Tales of Hearts: CG Movie/Anime Movie Editions -- 261,751
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time -- 259,705
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days Square Enix -- 530,250
Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky -- 4,155,274
Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire/Blizzard -- 1,145,388
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Square Enix -- 1,283,423
Inazuma Eleven 3 Challenge to the World! Spark/Bomber -- 969,175
Ni no Kuni -- 550,158
Inazuma Eleven 3 Challenge to the World! Ogre -- 430,853
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - Professional -- 485,332

Ones above 250k that are non-Nintendo non-remake though I probably missed some

Edit::

I thought Inazuma Eleven was on decline in Japan, or was it just Layton?

DCharlie

MH3G was sold out at Tsutaya in Namba with a sign saying they didn't know when they were getting more. Every other store had stock of the regular edition of the game.

Was in stock in local tsutaya last night still - but i suspect the reason is that it's because of the price (Tsutaya being notoriously poor with discounts) - might be because it's a smaller chain (pretty much f

Went to Aki at lunch - again, still stock available. Some places that had no stock yesterday have some today (Medialand) - perhaps time limit on preorders or a small stock find or something?

rpmurphy

DQIX, 2 DQM, 2 Inazuma, MM Star Force, Ni No Kuni, KH179D, FFXII:RW are >500k

Takao

Banned
I'm not familiar with the series. Is Ogre a dual release like Fire/Blizzard, or was it an expansion for the original game I.E. DQMJ 2: professional?

Expansion.

Edit: Though looking at it, you didn't list The Ogre... I doubt 1 version of Inazuma 3 sold 900k...

randomkid

DQIX, 2 DQM, 2 Inazuma, MM Star Force, Ni No Kuni, KH179D, FFXII:RW are >500k

Awesome thanks. 9 seems super low for an entire generation, definitely not even close to past ones. I mean, even the PS3 is gonna have more than 9 by the end, right? Especially if you count Yakuza. Just seems weird.

Truth101

Banned
Expansion.

I see it now, haha. There was no backslash between Spark and Bomber.

2009-10-01- Fire/Blizzard (When the series really boomed)

2010-07-01 -- Bomber/Spark >> 9 Months after previous

2010-12-16 -- Ogre >> 5 months after previous

I easily see it being the release of the expansion that killed Bomber/Spark rather than decline in the series.

Expansion.

Edit: Though looking at it, you didn't list The Ogre... I doubt 1 version of Inazuma 3 sold 900k...

Ogre is on there, it was just misspelled in garaph.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Awesome thanks. 9 seems super low for an entire generation, definitely not even close to past ones. I mean, even the PS3 is gonna have more than 9 by the end, right? Especially if you count Yakuza. Just seems weird.

If you count the Uncharteds there's three more as well!

randomkid

If you count the Uncharteds there's three more as well!

Whatever bro, RANDOM BATTLES and EXPERIENCE and PRE-RENDERED BACKGROUNDS, gotta love it.

Anyways I went to garaph for the first time and it was pretty useful, seems like there's way less 500K+ on PS2 than I assumed, kinda making me wonder about PSX too now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201112/13006967.html

Monster Hunter 3G - 471,055

3DS - 378,144

6hBDh.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And here we go! What a beast! Sold out everywhere in less than 2 days! That's a real system seller if I ever did see one!

How does it compare with the DS' Mario Kart DS bump?

80k MORE than what MKDS did to DS.

...400k...How much I missed you, 2005.

Top Bottom