• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2016 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

Ōkami

Back to movie talk.

Reading online seems like Yokai Watch Movie 3 and Rogue One will perform similarly to their predecesors like year, which is to say, Yo-kai Watch sells more tickets but Star Wars makes more revenue, though much closer now.

Both will perform worse than their predecesors though, 40%.

Biohazard: The Final is actually coming out on Japan on Friday, so it's ghosts against zombies against the empire for the holiday weekend.

Star Wars and Yo-kai Watch will be releasing on the same weekend for another year at the very least, so this might be going for a while.

hiska-kun

Comgnet
Week 48 => Week 49 => Week 50

Super Mario Maker 3DS
196pt => 151pt => 192pt

Pokemon Sun
144pt => 107pt => 161pt

Pokemon Moon
135pt => 101pt => 149pt

Miitopia
- => 56pt => 52pt

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 50, 2016 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

01./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
02./02. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./03. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
04./04. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
05./00. [PSV] Saga Scarlet Grace <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./01. [PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life <ACT> (Sega)
07./00. [3DS] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes <SPT> (Konami)
08./11. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./07. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo)
10./10. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
11./15. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
12./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
13./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura - Busters T-Pack <RPG> (Level 5)
14./06. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
15./20. [WiiU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
16./05. [PS4] The Last Guardian <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
17./08. [PS4] Watch Dogs 2 <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
18./13. [3DS] Kunio-kun Nekketsu: Complete Famicom Edition <ETC> (Arc System Works)
19./09. [3DS] Puyo Puyo Chronicle <RPG> (Sega)
20./17. [PS4] Battlefield 1 <ACT> (Electronic Arts)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 50, 2016 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

01./03. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
02./05. [PS4] Resident Evil 7 (Grotesque Ver.) <ACT> (Capcom)
03./07. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
04./08. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./11. [PSV] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone&#8217;s New Semester of Killing <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
06./14. [PS4] Nier: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
07./16. [PS4] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone&#8217;s New Semester of Killing <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
08./17. [PSV] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6: Gentou Rondo # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.800)
09./20. [PSV] Ken ga Kimi: Momoyo Tsuzuri <ADV> (Rejet) (¥6.300)
10./22. [PSV] Touhou Genso Wanderer Tod: Reloaded <RPG> (Mediascape)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 49, 2016 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

horuhe

Mario Maker will have some ridiculous legs... Super Mario Run at Akiba St.
4pnK4fe.jpg

Mario Maker 3DS is probably a pretty solid experience in Japan due to StreetPass, so I'm glad to see it do so well. It's a more shaky proposition elsewhere.

Pretty curious about Miitopia. Is it being well-received?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Fairly sure Momotaro Dentetsu is the latest first party release,

Momotaro Dentetsu is releasing on 22nd of December. We are still talking about last week here.

also you know... Super Mario Maker 3DS. Don't let that get in the way of your weird vendetta against Miitopia though.

Anyhow 3ds user base is big enough to sell more than 1 game. Especially for holidays.

I wonder how the fact that Nintendo hardware and software gets a big boost every year in the last 2-3 weeks (depending on when the new year falls) is a vendetta.

casiopao

It seems Miitopia is going to be another hit huh.>-< The japanese fans seems to be quite happy for what the game is presenting there.^^

casiopao

Some users find it 'boring' as it's a very passive experience but most users have reacted positively, particularly to the game's humour.

I heard that the more casual fans actually really liked the game as the ads/promotion is funny and they tried to make it happen in the game lol.^^(That oldman x young girl lolol.)

hiska-kun

Amazon.jp isn't much loved here, but Miitopia has 4.1/5 stars. And if we remove the typical troll comments has more like 4.5/5.

Oregano

Momotaro Dentetsu is releasing on 22nd of December. We are still talking about last week here.

Anyhow 3ds user base is big enough to sell more than 1 game. Especially for holidays.

I wonder how the fact that Nintendo hardware and software gets a big boost every year in the last 2-3 weeks (depending on when the new year falls) is a vendetta.

No, what makes it seem like a vendetta is being gungho to label the game a failure repeatedly in this thread and at least once in a thread dedicated to the game. Especially when you are now suggesting the people buying it don't actually want it.

casiopao

Amazon.jp isn't much loved here, but Miitopia has 4.1/5 stars. And if we remove the typical troll comments has more like 4.5/5.

O_O Never knew that it is that high in Amazon. I can't remember the sites for Japanese game review here. Does it had good score there too?

I only heard from some of my friends in Jp there.^^ Some is currently enjoying the craziness of the game while i am burned with envy.TT

No, what makes it seem like a vendetta is being gungho to label the game a failure repeatedly in this thread and at least once in a thread dedicated to the game. Especially when you are now suggesting the people buying it don't actually want it.

Just skip them lol. If you already know that the person is not really interested in discussing the game but more on trolling lol.^^

casiopao

Are the mechanics much deeper than Find Mii?

Much much deeper.^^ Rather than just color of the Mii clothes which decided what magic you can use, this one had 16 jobs to choose.^^

Each Mii also had their own personality which can be a plus or negative during battle lol.^^(Like coward personality can end up hiding behind other character to direct the attack away.^^)

there is also relation building for the character which can support your team in battle.^^

Bribri. I will just promote ur review here if it is okay lol.^^

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/154385877044

Just read bribri review there.^^

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Especially when you are now suggesting the people buying it don't actually want it.

If you understood this then maybe I didn't express it very well, so let me try again.

I'm not saying that people will buy the game they don't want. I'm just saying that during holidays people buy more things than usual and buy also things that are not necessarily top of the priority list. That doesn't mean they don't actually want it.

Most Nintendo games and most 3rd party games on Nintendo systems get big boosts during holidays. Just look at the similar week in the past two years:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190242714&postcount=1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144632344&postcount=1

Most of those game have at least a +40% increase.

If you already know that the person is not really interested in discussing the game but more on trolling lol.^^

Because using "vendetta" and "gunho" against actual points is discussing with arguments.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Level-5 is a private company, so they don't give out sales projections.

There's none, and I was refering to this exact sentence. It clearly indicates that they are expecting another phenomena like Yokai Watch did. You could argue about what number it could means, but it's certainly way more than 500k in any case.

Bingo !

Why poor Hino ? Of course his goal as content creator will always be to top his previous work. If it happens or not is another discussion.

Right, I posted that in here last week, but that was the statement Aostia was asking be explicitly excluded in favor of raw numbers, yes?

Hino wants Snack World to become L5's next big hit. After looking at Layton, Inazuma and Yo-Kai in Japan (and WW), 500k is not what he expects.

The old big L5 IPs were all DS/3DS only - with Snack World they are hitting mobile and 3DS at the same time. Would be weird for him to not have even higher expectations.

Oh, I definitely agree on that sentiment.

That said, I think unit sales might be the wrong way to think about this. It's a mobile game, so presumably they're not planning to sell a 5900 yen game on phones. It's plausibly an f2p title where all the revenue comes from digital and (importantly) physical loot boxes.

"The next big thing" could mean anything, but "a boom that surpasses Youkai Watch" rules out 500k being anything other than a flop, unless only the mobile version is a phenomenon and the sales of the 3DS version end up just being the cherry on top.

the "next big thing" or the "boom to surpass yokai" are purely a PR move by Hino.
or are we actually comparing this sentence to:

- actual raw projection sales
- sell-out ratio on the distribution
- profit & loss business plan

it is impossible in this very moment to have a real estimation, even if OF COURSE Level5 is investing in the brand (cross-media project), so the expensese are high. At the same time, being a cross media project also means differente stream of revenues (from the licensing, from the toy distribution, from the airing of the cartoon and so on), even bigger if they will announce (as done for Yokai but also for international distribution of Inazuma Eleven for example) international partnerships, and the game being also on mobile could totally mean to see a profitable project even selling "only" 500K on 3DS. And OF COURSE there exist also genaral numbers for the market to already calling Snack World 3DS version a flop if selling 500K is...

ridicolous? I don't wan to sound rude or againt anybody but still...

I'm simply buffled by the general judgment GAF has about HIno's work/L5 market results because they were simply outstanding in the last decade, since the launch of Professor Layton on DS, in general and especially looking at the Japanese dedicated videogame market nowadays

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Much much deeper.^^ Rather than just color of the Mii clothes which decided what magic you can use, this one had 16 jobs to choose.^^

Each Mii also had their own personality which can be a plus or negative during battle lol.^^(Like coward personality can end up hiding behind other character to direct the attack away.^^)

there is also relation building for the character which can support your team in battle.^^

Bribri. I will just promote ur review here if it is okay lol.^^

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/154385877044

Just read bribri review there.^^

Hmm... it still sounds like it has less gameplay than I would've thought though honestly.

I think it can do well enough, but if it's still more of a social experiment than I wonder how far it'll go.

I'm a bit surprised Nintendo didn't add more RPG mechanics... though I guess since it was made in house they didn't focus on that too much.

casiopao

the "next big thing" or the "boom to surpass yokai" are purely a PR move by Hino.

it is impossible in this very moment to have a real estimation, even if OF COURSE Level5 is investing in the brand (cross-media project), so the expensese are high. At the same time, being a cross media project also means differente stream of revenues (from the licensing, from the toy distribution, from the airing of the cartoon and so on), even bigger if they will announce (as done for Yokai but also for international distribution of Inazuma Eleven for example) international partnerships, and the game being also on mobile could totally mean to see a profitable project even selling "only" 500K on 3DS. And OF COURSE there exist also genaral numbers for the market to already calling Snack World 3DS version a flop if selling 500K is...

I'm simply buffled by the general judgment GAF has about HIno's work/L5 market results because they were simply outstanding in the last decade, since the launch of Professor Layton on DS, in general and especially looking at the Japanese dedicated videogame market nowadays

C'mon Capitan.^^ While i can't speak for Niro(who had burning rage thanks to Age lol.^^) I can said many of us really believe that Hino had did great work on releasing new products and reaching great success there that many other company failed to even reach.(Even Nintendo does not seems able to match L-5 on getting the new hot things there this generation if u ask me.^^)

The problem is, many of us wanted more from him. If he can release a successful product easily, then he should also be able to learn how leash himself into not milking his properties so fast that it end up killing the properties. I mean, how many IP had fallen in Hino hand there. Inazuma, Layton, LBX,and now Youkai Watch. I had great hope for Snack World and i believe in Hino that in the worst case scenario, he will be able to reach moderate success there but he really need to improve on maintaining the longevity of L-5 hot properties there.^^

Hmm... it still sounds like it has less gameplay than I would've thought though honestly. I think it can do well enough, but if it's still more of a social experiment than I wonder how far it'll go. I'm a bit surprised Nintendo didn't add more RPG mechanics... though I guess since it was made in house they didn't focus on that too much.

I feel this is game is kinda like Tomodachi Collection which is mini-simulation game where the humor and funny writing is what carrying the game while the other main battle aspect is just okay. Unless u can dive into the funny aspect there, i don't think the game is probably going to click with you there.^^

BriBri

Hmm... it still sounds like it has less gameplay than I would've thought though honestly.

I think it can do well enough, but if it's still more of a social experiment than I wonder how far it'll go.

I'm a bit surprised Nintendo didn't add more RPG mechanics... though I guess since it was made in house they didn't focus on that too much.

Thanks casiopao ;-)

And Nintendo started off with more RPG mechanics and removed them to turn it more into a simulation experience (https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/f0cb3c19-bdda-11e6-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kingsnake i hope you will follow Miitopias performance the next weeks.

I dont really understand this post - its obvious that this is L5 next big IP and they have high expectations for the Brand. I dont think this type of damage control is needed at this point.

We will have a clearer picture of what to expect as time goes on - but for now its def. positioned as their next big thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Kingsnake i hope you will follow Miitopias performance the next weeks.

I will. And I'm convinced it will do well for holidays. As I said in one of my first posts in this thread, after holidays is where I have my doubts, but I'm ready to admit being wrong if that's the case,

LordKano

casiopao

Thanks casiopao ;-)

And Nintendo started off with more RPG mechanics and removed them to turn it more into a simulation experience (https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/f0cb3c19-bdda-11e6-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html)

Hehe no problemo.^^ I am still dreaming to get that Kirby plushy hiks.T_T

Ohhh. Thats the first time i see that interview there? Is that like the former Iwata(T_T) Ask? I hope Nintendo will translate some of those for us. I really enjoy reading all that information there.^^

For why they remove the mechanic, i believe Nintendo will add them for the next Miitopia if this first title is successful lol.^^

So Nintendo just said "F*ck it" and confirmed DQXI was indeed coming to the Nintendo Switch.

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/839af1b5-c284-11e6-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html

Naturally, they weren't nice enough to say which version it'd be based on.

Patient bruh.^^ January is not far and the sales number for all these holiday is going to be very enjoyable to see too.^^(Not much of doom and gloom.^^)

L~A

Because there's only one possibility and it's the most obvious and suited one. Also I don't think that's nice PR to say that your game is the same as the one from the opponent's console lol.

Well of course, that's not what I meant here.

What I meant is that they didn't say (or show) anything that would point toward either version. Not that there was a chance of them doing that, but I wasn't expecting them to just come out and confirm a Switch version in the first place, so... (I mean, look at how they reacted to the two Wii U discontinuation reports).

By the way Okami mentioned the 3rd Yo-kai Watch movie a bit earlier...

It's confirmed the movie topped the box office (beating Star Wars Rogue One), though no ticket sales / revenue data was shared for now.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-japanese-box-office-beats-rogue-one/.110098

casiopao

Well of course, that's not what I meant here.

What I meant is that they didn't say (or show) anything that would point toward either version. Not that there was a chance of them doing that, but I wasn't expecting them to just come out and confirm a Switch version in the first place, so... (I mean, look at how they reacted to the two Wii U discontinuation reports).

It's confirmed the movie topped the box office (beating Star Wars Rogue One), though no ticket sales / revenue data was shared for now.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-japanese-box-office-beats-rogue-one/.110098

Beating Rogue One is not surprising for me there if you ask me lol.^^ What a boring movie with a super predictable ending.T_T I believe YW third movie should be more interesting.^^

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If it's bad sure, but unappealing is debatable. It's the newest first party release, might make for a good gift or self gift. Holiday spirit makes people take more liberties with their wallets.

Last December's 3 winners at overshipped bombs at retail were

1. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force
2. Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
3. Pokemon Rumble World.

Apparently Nintendo and holidays don't mean instant success.

Oregano

People are going to be super disappointed in the Switch if they think switching to console mode turns it from a 3DS to a PS4.

They're going to run the chips a bit faster and maybe use the slightly faster cores from ARM's bigLITTLE setup to help with resolution of what is otherwise going to be an identical title.

On the DQ11 note, they announced it after ORCA had "just started" (a few months into development) to help hire staff.

You can see an article about them talking about their upcoming Dragon Quest project that had just begun from May 2015: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/2...studio-working-on-a-new-dragon-quest-project/

I would not be shocked to see it delayed given it sounds like it hasn't actually been in development all that long.

So to revisit this it now looks like Switch goes from "ever so slightly worse than Wii U" to "a bit better than Wii U" when docked.

The odds of Switch getting the 3DS version of DQXI just went up.... *welp*

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So to revisit this it now looks like Switch goes from "ever so slightly worse than Wii U" to "a bit better than Wii U" when docked.

I'm pretty sure it's still better than Wii U when portable. Modern architecture will take it a long way. Don't forget the Wii U was using even more antiquated tech in the first place (like 2008 tech).

Vena

No they they didn't. The reason to not port the 3DS version (highly-specific engine, fixed shaders, two orders of magnitude hardware difference) remains unchanged vs. the reason to port the PS4 version (built on scalable middleware that is already supported, not two orders of magnitude hardware difference, not fixed shaders).

Stop being obtuse.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Thanks casiopao ;-)

I'm not too surprised by that, this sounds like something Nintendo would do in house.

Hehe no problemo.^^ I am still dreaming to get that Kirby plushy hiks.T_T

Ohhh. Thats the first time i see that interview there? Is that like the former Iwata(T_T) Ask? I hope Nintendo will translate some of those for us. I really enjoy reading all that information there.^^

For why they remove the mechanic, i believe Nintendo will add them for the next Miitopia if this first title is successful lol.^^

I wouldn't count on them adding those mechanics back.

About DQXI, I get the feeling if the Switch version is the UE4 version it'll be incredibly scaled back compared to the PS4 version. Not just in performance, but also greatly scaled back in visual detail.

It was never going to get the PS4 look. It will either get a severely downgraded PS4 version or the 3DS version. I also highly doubt this thing will get the high end SE games like FFXV, KH3 and FF7R.

Oregano

I'm pretty sure it's still better than Wii U when portable. Modern architecture will take it a long way. Don't forget the Wii U was using even more antiquated tech in the first place (like 2008 tech).

It's going to be close either way.

No they they didn't. The reason to not port the 3DS version (highly-specific engine, fixed shaders, two orders of magnitude hardware difference) remains unchanged vs. the reason to port the PS4 version (built on scalable middleware that is already supported, not two orders of magnitude hardware difference, not fixed shaders).

Stop being obtuse.

It's not difficult to port a 3DS game to a more capable system(see Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Castlevania, One Piece). Also the Switch is not two orders of magnitude away from either 3DS or PS4. 3DS is ~5GFlops, so an order of magnitude is 50Gflops and Switch is 3x that. PS4 is 1.8TFlops so an order of magnitude is 180Gflops and Switch is ~0.8x that.

Also scalable middleware can't work miracles. Yooka Laylee's Wii U SKU being cancelled is a testament to that.

It was never going to get the PS4 look. It will either get a severely downgraded PS4 version or the 3DS version. I also highly doubt this thing will get the high end SE games like FFXV, KH3 and FF7R.

I was expecting a downgrade even if possible but there's a big difference between downgraded to something 3 times less powerful(being super optimistic) and something 10 times less powerful.

Well, we'll see what decision SE makes. If they think a downgraded PS4 version looks unfit for release than the handheld version will be ported.

Ōkami

It all happened as I said, Yo-kai Watch sold more tickets but Star Wars made more money, both movies did worse than their predecesors last year.

The real winner in all this is Kimi no na wa which will gross more than both combined.

Both combined sold around 1m tickets, big drop from last year where YW movie 2 alone got really close to that, combined gross is around $10m, a little more than half of what they did last year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
&#332;kami;226871100 said:
It all happened as I said, Yo-kai Watch sold more tickets but Star Wars made more money, both movies did worse than their predecesors last year.

The real winner in all this is Kimi no na wa which will gross more than both combined.

Both combined sold around 1m tickets, big drop from last year where YW movie 2 alone got really close to that, combined gross is around $10m, a little more than half of what they did last year.

The movie follows the drop of the game, not surprising.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Comgnet
Week 48 => Week 49 => Week 50

Super Mario Maker 3DS
196pt => 151pt => 192pt

Pokemon Sun
144pt => 107pt => 161pt

Pokemon Moon
135pt => 101pt => 149pt

Miitopia
- => 56pt => 52pt

Week 50 will be a crusial week for December performance, hw and sw wise.

Unlike west, November was up this year at dead Japan because of sw, I feel more confident for December now comparing to some weeks ago.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Guess Miitopia is going to sell 10 million then.^^

Sure.

When Nintendo ports it to mobile and retools it as a IAP focused game with DQ/MH/MARIO/AC cameos.

I secretly want this

LordKano

I don't know why Miitopia is not a mobile game tbh, it looks perfect for that : it's a passive game, you don't need precise inputs, it's social-oriented. Could have been a hit.

casiopao

Sure.

When Nintendo ports it to mobile and retools it as a IAP focused game with DQ/MH/MARIO/AC cameos.

I secretly want this

You will get the Switch sequel with even more Mii's and now with dog suits and you will be happy.^^

Europe will also eat it up and make it another 5 million sales figure.^^ Just need to collab with GoT actors and actresses to hype up the title.^^(Natalie Dormer pliz.^^)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't know why Miitopia is not a mobile game tbh, it looks perfect for that : it's a passive game, you don't need precise inputs, it's social-oriented. Could have been a hit.

Mobile peasant have Miitomo...lol.

Top Bottom