• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Takao

Banned
Vita just launched, they wont announce all their big guns right away. They`ll have the announcements when it makes sense, probably after that launch period. As you said, they have been working on Tri G for 3DS since late 2010, but they didnt announce at the 3DS launch or even when the system was selling like crap after its launch period.

No matter what happens, i hope that the Vita will get its fair share of exclusive software and that it doesnt all will run into HD ports ala FFX or MGS collection.

The day 3DS was announced Capcom announced Megaman Legends 3, Resident Evil: Revelations, and Super Street Fighter IV. When Vita was formally brought out, Capcom announced Street Fighter x Tekken. Capcom's PSP support was pretty crappy (a few weeks ago I did a round up and something like 60-70% of their PSP lineup consisted of a port or remake), but their Vita support is even worse in light of their 3DS support.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What I meant is that they should have tried to make more announcements as a counter measure. We know how well it went on PSP with Gran Tourismo, but I think a similar GT announement for Vita or stuff like Crisis Core that were both announced years before completition wouldn´t have been such a bad idea. People wouldn´t have been fooled as much as back then but at the very least it would have had some extra coverage.

If they could have announced such titles they probably would have done it - but there is nothing there. Which shouldnt be surprising, since going against the 3DS at its current price point and it`s announced lineup doesnt seem like the smarted idea.

First party wise i dont think sony has anything to offer which would change the situation or perception of the Vita. Devs are still developing PSP titles and many Vita games look they were initially planned for PSP either.

btw. SE still plans to release FF XI for Vita right ? They expect to make money with it ?

Laguna

Banned
If they could have announced such titles they probably would have done it - but there is nothing there. Which shouldnt be surprising, since going against the 3DS at its current price point and it`s announced lineup doesnt seem like the smarted idea.

First party wise i dont think sony has anything to offer which would change the situation or perception of the Vita. Devs are still developing PSP titles and many Vita games look they were initially planned for PSP either.

btw. SE still plans to release FF XI for Vita right ? They expect to make money with it ?

Sorry, but I don´t think it´s really this difficult to show some logos like they did in the past with 3rd party stuff (RE PSP logo, CoD logo...), and there is absolutely no difficulty to do it with your own franchises, be it Gran Tourismo or Minna no Tennis. We are talking about the same company who´s responsible for The Last Guardian you know. ;) I also doubt it would have been that hard to get Atlus for a -Persona 5- if they really tried to.

Those games can´t compete with other franchises but at the very least Vitas lineup would have looked better and Sony wouldn´t have been perceived as company that just isn´t able to make a move.

They just seem to be really unprepared. While their competitor secured big 3rd party franchises beforehand, which will be released within its first year.

Opiate

Square Enix never announced XI for Vita, they said they were humoring the idea. They're also humoring the idea of having a XIV app or something on Vita.

Is there a reason that they can't have the actual game XIV on the system? Are the assets too much for the system to handle?

Takao

Banned
Is there a reason that they can't have the actual game XIV on the system? Are the assets too much for the system to handle?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a case of having the people who'd work on a Vita version being busy trying to make the PC game resemble the word "decent".

ElFly

Sorry, but I don´t think it´s really this difficult to show some logos like they did in the past with 3rd party stuff (RE PSP logo, CoD logo...), and there is absolutely no difficulty to do it with your own franchises, be it Gran Tourismo or Minna no Tennis. We are talking about the same company who´s responsible for The Last Guardian you know. ;) I also doubt it would have been that hard to get Atlus for a -Persona 5- if they really tried to.

Those games can´t compete with other franchises but at the very least Vitas lineup would have looked better and Sony wouldn´t have been perceived as company that just isn´t able to make a move.

They just seem to be really unprepared. While their competitor secured big 3rd party franchises beforehand, which will be released within its first year.

What's the point of showing a Gran Turismo logo, when GT PSP came out like five years after the announcement? e: and didn't even have a career mode.

What's the point of making an Uncharted entry when it's going to be outsourced to Bend?

Sony really supported the PSP very little and they are doing it again with the Vita. Any success the PSP had was despite Sony, not thanks to them.

cw_sasuke

Hmm...they already are spending way more time than expected on the Ps3 version, trying to get this on Vita would probably even more difficult and the pay-out would be probably not significant enough.

Khrno

With version 2.0 coming for PS3, I see no reason at all why the game wouldn't run on Vita, specially if a XI port is on the plan, I mean, the chat issues would have to be solved for XI, so they should work the same for XIV.

But I think Yoshida has higher priorities for XIV at the moment than putting out an awkward port of the game on Vita, if anything a WiiU or other console ports would be more feasible.

cw_sasuke

Are they still developing that Chocobo Racing game?

This is probably cancelled - it looked like shit too.
They probably have one team workin on some kind of multiplayer FF game ( Crystal Chron. type) - could be WiiU/3DS, their last attempt via Pollux Engine was an epic fail though haha.

Laguna

Banned
What's the point of showing a Gran Turismo logo, when GT PSP came out like five years after the announcement?

What's the point of making an Uncharted entry when it's going to be outsourced to Bend?

Sony really supported the PSP very little and they are doing it again with the Vita. Any success the PSP had was despite Sony, not thanks to them.

That´s not the point. Imo they should have tried to make it clear to all gamers that they aren´t just sitting and doing nothing, no, they should have made it clear that they are willing to make anything to make Vita a successful handheld. More announcements or an extra conference pre-release wouldn´t have been too bad for this purpose. Why? because we know that MH is a big deal in Japan and especially for PSP. (Doesn´t this sound familiar?)

But they prefered to do nothing...

rpmurphy

IIRC, it's been completely MIA since Nintendo's 3DS conference in September 2010, so most likely cancelled.

They probably have one team workin on some kind of multiplayer FF game ( Crystal Chron. type) - could be WiiU/3DS, their last attempt via Pollux Engine was an epic fail though haha.

Okay, thanks. I guess they have enough variety of content in the pipeline anyway.

BurntPork

Banned
Sure, but I meant in particular remakes of mainline FF and DQ games. For example, DQ VII and DQ VIII and especially FF VII would sell incredibly well and would put in the oblivion the sales of FF XIII-2.

Oh. Okay. We'll see if anything comes out of that "remake of 7th game in a popular RPG series" rumor, then.

If FFXV doesn't make the ballsy jump to handheld, I think it'll definitely come to the Wii-U, its already multiplatform. I don't think it'll jump ship to handhelds though, making a new "main" series for the 3DS makes more sense, like what they are doing for PSP/VITA. I don't think people are getting sick of the FF brand going by FFXIII-2's numbers, rather that was the due to a number of things, being a sequel to an entry noone asked for was a major reason. I don't think SE is stupid enough keep making only remakes for the 3DS, the handheld is fully capable of your typical flashy FF games now, unlike the DS.

Although I hope Bravely Default Flying Fairy (FF:hint hint?) is good and does well, thats the classic but updated modern look type of FF rpg that I've always wanted and that its SE intent to make that the 3DS' own main RPG series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel that FFXIV's platforms are kind of irrelevant because 0 * 2 and 0 * 7 ends up with the same number of subscribers. >_>

It's pretty obvious that's DQ7.
Yeah, 99% chance it is. FF7 remake will be either and or VITA, Wii-U, PS4, or Next-box.

Are you always like that for instance?

Edit: *looked at Burntpork posts history*

Found my answer.
I'm surprised you don't know BurntPork's character by now lol.

I feel that FFXIV's platforms are kind of irrelevant because 0 * 2 and 0 * 7 ends up with the same number of subscribers. >_>
Yeah no point in porting an MMO to a million platforms if its not even that big.

I also doubt it would have been that hard to get Atlus for a -Persona 5- if they really tried to.

Atlus is pursuing a PS3/360 console strategy for their big, visually-oriented titles (Catherine being, essentially, a market test for Persona 5) because that's the approach that will maximize their ability to keep the franchise's momentum going in both the US and Japan. There isn't really a moneyhat big enough to make a small publisher abandon their long-term franchise development plans in favor of a quick exclusive for a platform with an uncertain future. (The most effective use of moneyhats is in situations where a publisher is weighing equally desirable, but exclusive, options and you open your wallet to incentivize the option you prefer: for example, it's very plausible that Capcom was deciding between 3DS and Vita for the home platform of MH and Nintendo's offer of publishing/marketing support in the West tipped them over the edge.)

Anyway, if anything, Atlus is one of the more successfully courted publishers so far. The P4 remake for Vita is a solid early sign that Atlus will be doing real development for the Vita, when they could easily have just narrowed down on the 3DS.

No 3D remakes is quite naive imho, considering how well the strategy worked on DS back in 2005-2007.

I would be surprised if they never[/i get back to the FF remake series, but it's not that weird to me that they haven't talked about it yet. Even last gen, "FF3 for DS" was announced right away but that project was actually scrapped and the remake we finally got was a completely different project that started well after that announcement and wasn't released until several years into the system's life.

For example, DQ VII and DQ VIII and especially FF VII would sell incredibly well and would put in the oblivion the sales of FF XIII-2.

DQ7 is like 99% certainly happening, and will indeed sell a shitload.

FFVII isn't a good choice to remake on 3DS (it'll just fall victim to raised expectations); I personally would prefer they keep going in order and do FFV next, but FFVI would also be viable.

Cygnus X-1

What did I do?

Don't worry. I was talking to myself.

charlequin said:
I would be surprised if they never[/i get back to the FF remake series, but it's not that weird to me that they haven't talked about it yet. Even last gen, "FF3 for DS" was announced right away but that project was actually scrapped and the remake we finally got was a completely different project that started well after that announcement and wasn't released until several years into the system's life.

DQ7 is like 99% certainly happening, and will indeed sell a shitload.

FFVII isn't a good choice to remake on 3DS (it'll just fall victim to raised expectations); I personally would prefer they keep going in order and do FFV next, but FFVI would also be viable.

Fair enough. It makes sense to start where they stopped. Though I wonder if Square-Enix can avoid forever to develop a remake of a juggernaut like FFVII. Not necessarily on 3DS. I mean in general.

If FFXV doesn't make the ballsy jump to handheld, I think it'll definitely come to the Wii-U, its already multiplatform. I don't think it'll jump ship to handhelds though, making a new "main" series for the 3DS makes more sense, like what they are doing for PSP/VITA

PS3/360/WiiU(/PC?) makes the most sense to me for XV; a series that's so defined by visual spectacle can't really make an unambiguous downgrade like that for the main series without losing a lot of goodwill.

I think the likely (and also wise) strategy would be to try to establish individually successful subseries on each handheld. Type-0 is a great start for PSP -> Vita -- they could easily iterate on this concept and develop a series with its own character and appeal that buoys the overall FF brand without being reliant on the mainstream numbering. I think Bravely Default would be a good choice for this sort of thing on 3DS (possibly intermixed with remakes) if the name wasn't so terribad.

I know. I just didn't think that saying "DQ7 rumor" would really be accurate.

The rumor is that there is a remake of DQ7 happening. The reason there is such a rumor is that a remake of DQ7 is happening. Don't be difficult. (I know that's asking a lot of you.)

Celine

Very good 3DS sales.

Sure, but I meant in particular remakes of mainline FF and DQ games. For example, DQ VII and DQ VIII and especially FF VII would sell incredibly well and would put in the oblivion the sales of FF XIII-2.
@Gaffers
What do you think will sell better between a remake of FFVII or DQVII?

@Gaffers
What do you think will sell better between a remake of FFVII or DQVII?

On 3DS? DQVII. A 3DS remake of FFVII would miss out on most of what people want out of an FFVII remake and therefore probably underwhelm; a DQ7 remake would be a big improvement. Plus DQ is a brand on the rise and FF is a brand on the decline.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PS3/360/WiiU(/PC?) makes the most sense to me for XV; a series that's so defined by visual spectacle can't really make an unambiguous downgrade like that for the main series without losing a lot of goodwill.

I think the likely (and also wise) strategy would be to try to establish individually successful subseries on each handheld. Type-0 is a great start for PSP -> Vita -- they could easily iterate on this concept and develop a series with its own character and appeal that buoys the overall FF brand without being reliant on the mainstream numbering. I think Bravely Default would be a good choice for this sort of thing on 3DS (possibly intermixed with remakes) if the name wasn't so terribad.

The rumor is that there is a remake of DQ7 happening. The reason there is such a rumor is that a remake of DQ7 is happening. Don't be difficult. (I know that's asking a lot of you.)

Are you actually expecting XV to still happen this generation?

I feel the albatross bankruptmobile that is Versus will probably eat up too many resources to get the game out in 24 months, and even then, we will likely have more consoles on the market than those four by then.

Yeah that name kind of screams "200k sold then forget" type of game. That is why I hope its good and sells well.

Are you actually expecting XV to still happen this generation?

I feel the albatross bankruptmobile that is Versus will probably eat up too many resources to get the game out in 24 months, and even then, we will likely have more consoles on the market than those four by then.
Depends how fast they can get it out, if its within the next year or two, I can see a late DQ7/8/FF12? late-gen type of release, but I have a feeling it'll be for the next-gen too. We are talking about SE after all, they still haven't got Versus out yet.

IIRC, it's been completely MIA since Nintendo's 3DS conference in September 2010, so most likely cancelled.

I can totally see h.a.n.d. working on it since it doesn't have anything heavy in development so far; remember that the first Crystal Chronicles on DS had disappeared for almost 3 years before coming out from nowhere. That's how Square Enix works sometimes.

Cygnus X-1

On 3DS? DQVII. A 3DS remake of FFVII would miss out on most of what people want out of an FFVII remake and therefore probably underwhelm; a DQ7 remake would be a big improvement. Plus DQ is a brand on the rise and FF is a brand on the decline.

Yeah, but I wonder if they are seriously willingly to accept so easily the decline of a massive franchise like FF. I would at least expect from them some efforts to counteract that. A remake of FF VII would be risky. On one hand, it could revive the franchise thanks to the popularity of that particular game and cancel the shitty decisions of last years. On the other hand, a failed or disappointing remake could utterly and definitively destroy the franchise.

Laguna

Banned
Atlus is pursuing a PS3/360 console strategy for their big, visually-oriented titles (Catherine being, essentially, a market test for Persona 5) because that's the approach that will maximize their ability to keep the franchise's momentum going in both the US and Japan. There isn't really a moneyhat big enough to make a small publisher abandon their long-term franchise development plans in favor of a quick exclusive for a platform with an uncertain future. (The most effective use of moneyhats is in situations where a publisher is weighing equally desirable, but exclusive, options and you open your wallet to incentivize the option you prefer: for example, it's very plausible that Capcom was deciding between 3DS and Vita for the home platform of MH and Nintendo's offer of publishing/marketing support in the West tipped them over the edge.)

Anyway, if anything, Atlus is one of the more successfully courted publishers so far. The P4 remake for Vita is a solid early sign that Atlus will be doing real development for the Vita, when they could easily have just narrowed down on the 3DS.

Atlus isn´t known for visual masterpieces, so I don´t think a multiplatform release including a Vita version would be something out of question. Beeing multiplatform would lead to the same situation as FFXhd and lose some impact but at the very least it would have been a nice and new announcement pre Vita release.

Alrus

Yeah, but I wonder if they are seriously willingly to accept so easily the decline of a massive franchise like FF. I would at least except from them some efforts to counteract that. A remake of FF VII would be risky. On one hand, it could revive the franchise thanks to the popularity of that particular game and cancel the shitty decisions of last years. On the other hand, a failed or disappointing remake could utterly and definitively destroy the franchise.

That's why I don't think they're too eager to remake that particular game. The expectation are ridiculously big and it's an extremely risky project. (not to mention it would probably cost a fortune).

Yeah, but I wonder if they are seriously willingly to accept so easily the decline of a massive franchise like FF. I would at least except from them some efforts to counteract that. A remake of FF VII would be risky. On one hand, it could revive the franchise thanks to the popularity of that particular game and cancel the shitty decisions of last years. On the other hand, a failed or disappointing remake could utterly and definitively destroy the franchise.
A shitty main game tarnishes the brand more than a shitty remake imo. Besides, how hard is it to remake a good game?

ElFly

I have to wonder how much a FF7 remake would sell, even in ideal conditions (hitting the expected production values, multiplatform, good marketing) for every market.

Gonna say three millions WW, based on the...two millions for FF3?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have to wonder how much a FF7 remake would sell, even in ideal conditions (hitting the expected production values, multiplatform, good marketing) for every market.

Gonna say three millions WW, based on the...two millions for FF3?

I feel the biggest issue that game faces is that tastes have changed a lot since the PlayStation 1 era and the two main markets that would be interested play games on platforms that are hard to bridge.

Oxx

Would DQ7 likely be a 'remake'? Whether in the DQ8 or a wholly new engine, that's a big project. Certainly more ambitious than what Square Enix have shown on 3DS so far.

Just don't change anything except the graphics and everything should go well. Like Ocarina of Time.
Exactly. I recently tried to go back to FFVII, but that graphics is such a huge turn off, and its really the only that that needs updating, SE ain't a slouch when it comes to that department.

That's why I don't think they're too eager to remake that particular game. The expectation are ridiculously big and it's an extremely risky project. (not to mention it would probably cost a fortune).
How's it risky? Its as safe a profit making endeavor as you can get, unless you mean if it turns out shit, which imo is not realistic either.

..which is almost impossible for FFVII on PS360, in my opinion.
Its more pointless rather than impossible to remake it for the PS360 now, you wanna set-up your brand for the next-gen. A spectacular remake brings alot of goodwill to whatever comes out for the next-gen.

Top Bottom