• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

I have to say that I'd have prefered a battle between MHP3G PSP/Vita and Mario Kart+3dLand. Nintendo didn't even need MH to do these numbers.

The monster selling trio coupled with the unprecedented pricedrop made impossible for anything else to stand a chance against the 3DS.

Nintendo is making Sony look like fools (again) with their overpriced system.

I get your reasoning. If Sony still had the MH franchise, the Vita's chance of success wouldn't be so speculative. Could have been a better scenario for gamers in general. The only downside to that scenario is that the 3DS would effectively still be "just a Nintendo software selling system", which is a scenario I don't like either. Although MH is a guaranteed seller, I hope it makes developers more inclined to work on software for the 3DS as capcom sees success on it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However, they'll give it, since KI.U was delayed to the Q1, and at ND they'll talk about it.
We should expect also dates for Dynasty Warriors Vs. and KH 3D.
And Girls RPG.
...And let's see if Luigi's Mansion 2 can do it for February.

saichi

so basically no surprises... also, MH TriG should be way past 800K now and can easily meet the target of 1.2 million by end of March.

Takao

Banned
I get your reasoning. If Sony still had the MH franchise, the Vita's chance of success wouldn't be so speculative. Could have been a better scenario for gamers in general. The only downside to that scenario is that the 3DS would effectively still be "just a Nintendo software selling system", which is a scenario I don't like either. Although MH is a guaranteed seller, I hope it makes developers more inclined to work on software for the 3DS as capcom sees success on it.

benefit entire game industry by having two healthy handhelds or just make nintendo look good by having a third party game sell well

i don't know which one to choose

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
benefit entire game industry by having two healthy handhelds or just make nintendo look good by having a third party game sell well

3rd Partys had no trouble ignoring the Wii even with its record breaking sales the first years - I don't see why Capcom would or should care about the Vita when they can sell their IP just find on the dominating handheld device.

Laguna

Banned

I doubt Capcom or any 3rd party publisher (game industry) cares how their success makes Nintendo or Sony look like as long as they have success.

Takao

Banned
I doubt Capcom or any 3rd party publisher (game industry) cares how their success makes Nintendo or Sony look like as long as they have success.

Well, in the past I've mentioned how it's pretty apparent that Capcom doesn't give a shit, but I just found it amusing how Souldriver was willing to give up having 2 successful handheld platforms just so Nintendo could have another badge in their vest.

Laguna

Banned
Well, in the past I've mentioned how it's pretty apparent that Capcom doesn't give a shit, but I just found it amusing how Souldriver was willing to give up having 2 successful handheld platforms just so Nintendo could have another badge in their vest.

I don´t think it´s about Nintendo having another "badge". It has more to do with Nintendo beeing a videogame-only company and it would come in handy for the more competitive console sector. An d publishers would love a less fragmented market situation.

Takao

Banned
PS2 like focused ecosystem or DS/PSP/HD like fractured mess?

OMG what to choose!?

There's never going to be a PS2 like marketplace again, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Even with Vita in its current state of unknown success, there's a small handful franchises that will likely not go anywhere, more so than the GC, and Xbox had imo.

cw_sasuke

You really think that the Vita is dead because there isn't an MH announced for the plattform ? Come on this is chess and not checkers, the plattform will be around for +5 years and get titles which won't be possible and avaiable for the 3DS. That has been the whole reason of PSPs success in the first place - offering expieriences which can't be duplicated on a Nintendo Handheld.

Though with 3DS being able to deliver games like Revelations and Tri G, it won't be that easi to deliver such titles - but it is possible. Sony would have secured MH if they really thought the system will fail without it.

Selling a 25k handheld is already difficult and MH on an immature device without much of an userbase doesn't seem like an instant success solution either.

I

There's never going to be a PS2 like marketplace again, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Even with Vita in its current state of unknown success, there's a small handful franchises that will likely not go anywhere, more so than the GC, and Xbox imo.

Out of curiosity, which third-party franchises are you referring to?

You really think that the Vita is dead because there isn't an MH announced for the plattform ?

"Dead" would be much too definitive a claim to make at this point, but over one in every 5 PSP software units sold in Japan to date is an MH game - for comparison, on DS, the combined percentage for the Mario and Pokemon franchises is only a few points higher. There's no disputing that Vita's path to a viable second-place position will be far more difficult without MH.

I think Vita just needs one major killer app, it will happen and it wont be MH

I think those who think just one killer app can realistically replace MH aren't aware of just how extraordinarily rare new multimillion-selling franchises are in Japan. Even PS2 didn't have any, and none of DS' were third-party.

Opiate

There are reasons to want both a fractured hardware market and a consolidated one.

A consolidated market is clearly better for third party software designers, as the most recent generation's troubles can attest to. The market was fractured on several gradients and led to significant problems not just with earnings and revenues, but also with design itself; some games that might exist today with a unified market do not exist in reality because the market for those games would only have worked if a simple, single SKU could have reached the entire market simultaneously.

On the other hand, consolidated hardware discourages hardware innovation, which is also bad for consumers. Constant challenges to traditional design conventions are a good thing, and monopolistic competitors have little incentive to take such risks.

It's difficult to decide what the "ideal" is, but the two values do need to be balanced.

Capcom did throw RE:Remake at Nintendo when its system was hurting whose to say Vita does not get a version of MH4 to balance the playing field out?

There's never going to be a PS2 like marketplace again, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Even with Vita in its current state of unknown success, there's a small handful franchises that will likely not go anywhere, more so than the GC, and Xbox had imo.
The only company I can see ignoring a PS2-like market dominating 3DS would be Falcom. And Falcom also ignored PS2.

cw_sasuke

Capcom did throw RE:Remake at Nintendo when its system was hurting whose to say Vita does not get a version of MH4 to balance the playing field out?

That's a given - it's not like Capcom is boycotting the Vita just because they decided 3DS would be the better home for portable MH titles. 3DS got SF and Vita got UmvC and will gett SF vs. Tekken. There will probably an attempt to get Lost Planet and/or Dragons Dogma on Vita to please that Vita owning MH crowd.

MH is big and important but it won't be the only factor deciding Vitas success.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

This statement gets repeated a lot, and I don't think people realize how unprecedented Monster Hunter completely saving the PSP was. Sony better have a better strategy than hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Takao

Banned
Out of curiosity, which third-party franchises are you referring to?

Niche series which I really can't see going past Vita:
Kiseki
Disgaea

Those 2 aren't anywhere near the word major though. If they can't make a market for themselves on Vita, they'll just go/stay on consoles. Falcom's seemingly already prepping themselves for that as they're making their games in PyreEngine now (an engine that supports PSP, Vita, and PS3 among others). So I'm going to take a serious leap of faith here:

Major effort Final Fantasy titles
Project Diva (if Project Mirai is a success, than I can see 2 congruent series running)
Yakuza (don't look at my recent posting history please, lol)

If Tales of Innocence R is a success (which part of me really hopes it isn't since that game makes some PSP games look like Uncharted 3) I can see Scamco maybe trying to settle the series down on one handheld, like they've done so on consoles. Then again, that's not really a fair first outing for either handheld.

You really think that the Vita is dead because there isn't an MH announced for the plattform ? Come on this is chess and not checkers, the plattform will be around for +5 years and get titles which won't be possible and avaiable for the 3DS. That has been the whole reason of PSPs success in the first place - offering expieriences which can't be duplicated on a Nintendo Handheld.

Though with 3DS being able to deliver games like Revelations and Tri G, it won't be that easi to deliver such titles - but it is possible. Sony would have secured MH if they really thought the system will fail without it.

Selling a 25k handheld is already difficult and MH on an immature device without much of an userbase doesn't seem like an instant success solution either.

I don't think it's dead anywhere as of yet, I just think this will be Sony's largest struggle in the video game realm, and if they plan on responding like they have when they faced struggles in the other markets they're in, it might as well be dead.

I also don't really think Sony had a choice in securing Monster Hunter for themselves. From the Iwata Asks column we found out that TriG was in development just as the release of Portable 3rd was coming closer. I don't think Sony could've necessarily outbid Nintendo for the franchise, and I'm coming to the conclusion that the PSP Sony designed just for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and starting the PSP remaster line, and making MH P3rd the showpiece was just an attempt to try to strengthen their side for a game. Sony brought out the red carpet for Capcom, and given the latter's Vita support being appallingly bad, it's safe to say they snubbed them.

That's a given - it's not like Capcom is boycotting the Vita just because they decided 3DS would be the better home for portable MH titles. 3DS got SF and Vita got UmvC and will gett SF vs. Tekken. There will probably an attempt to get Lost Planet and/or Dragons Dogma on Vita to please that Vita owning MH crowd.

MH is big and important but it won't be the only factor deciding Vitas success.

Dragon's Dogma, Lost Planet, and 2 fighting game ports no one wanted don't really equal Monster Hunter and Resident Evil.

Opiate

This statement gets repeated a lot, and I don't think people realize how unprecedented Monster Hunter completely saving the PSP was. Sony better have a better strategy than hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again.

They aren't even catching it. Using your example (and metaphor), Sony is hoping that someone else will catch the lightning for them.

Major effort Final Fantasy titles
Project Diva (if Project Mirai is a success, than I can see 2 congruent series running)
Yakuza (don't look at my recent posting history please, lol)

I'll agree to disagree on the bolded for now. We'll see what is and isn't announced over the next 12-18 months.

Sony brought out the red carpet for Capcom, and given the latter's Vita support being appallingly bad, it's safe to say they snubbed them.

Well, hey, SamBishop said there were RE and Lost Planet games coming a few months ago, so maybe that'll pan out.

[Nintex]

The Capcom 5 and Resident Evil: Remake were both 'given', 'bankrolled', whatever when Yamauchi promised Japan the next NES. After it was clear that GameCube Final Fantasy wasn't going to be FFX and Metal Gear was just a remake and everything including the Q-Fund, Retro Studios, Dream Team exploded, imploded or both, Capcom was quick to salvage what they could and they quickly switched to PS2 including ports of the former GameCube exclusives that sold more than 100 copies. The GameCube support and investment nearly killed the company because Nintendo has already given up on the GameCube in 2003 and went full steam ahead with the DS instead. Capcom got burned badly which is why they played the 'wait, see and do nothing approach' with the Wii.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They aren't even catching it. Using your example (and metaphor), Sony is hoping that someone else will catch the lightning for them.

I still can't believe how poorly GT Portable did sales wise. The game isn't the best but you'd think the name alone would have sold more copies.

It's not like Capcom threw Resident Evil at GameCube in some attempt to help a flagging system--the deal was announced at Japanese GCN launch and had to have been made quite sooner.

[Nintex]

Sometimes I really wonder if Sony did enough with the Vita pre-hype. When the 3DS started tanking they should've been on that news like flies on shit. Like: "Hey 3DS had games that suck, we'll have Uncharted at launch". They should've put the marketing machine up to 11 and basically drowned every gaming-event, magazine and website into Vita ads and stuff.

Instead we got these weak ass suits "Ha ho ho we don't worry about Vita, it's a great value proposition" *YAAAWWN* talk about boring. You're selling videogames with explosions, fast cars and guns, stop acting like a bunch of boring math professors. I'm sometimes surprised at how bad this industry is at selling really awesome stuff.

Laguna

Banned

Resident Evil Zero and RE:Remake were announced before GameCube was even launched... While I agree that there is a "possibility" for a successful franchise on Vita. I don´t understand the logic that it will remain exclusive. And there is always a difference between Monster Hunter, MGS, Yakuza/God Eater or Gust-game successful. Keep in mind that the only millionsellers on PSP are Monster Hunter games and even Final Fantasy games couldn´t break the million mark on PSP in Japan, to get a little more clearer view.

I think Capcoms Dragons Dogma or however it is called could be successful on Vita if it pushes the right buttons to fill the MH void, but likely even in the best case scenario it won´t become a phenoman as MH and at best be as successful as Crisis Core, likely even less.

Dragon's Dogma, Lost Planet, and 2 fighting game ports no one wanted don't really equal Monster Hunter and Resident Evil.

doesn't UMvC3 Vita have playback features that the PS3 version doesn't have? and Tekken is more popular than Street Fighter everywhere on the planet outside of NA, putting UMvC3 and SFxT on Vita and adding features isn't a snub.

Sony did bend over backwards to make a MH PSP, and Nintendo bent over with the slide pad. your Capcom betrayal tunnel-vision is starting to look like a 'shot themselves in the foot' meme.

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex];33758237 said:
Sometimes I really wonder if Sony did enough with the Vita pre-hype. When the 3DS started tanking they should've been on that news like flies on shit. Like: "Hey 3DS had games that suck, we'll have Uncharted at launch". They should've put the marketing machine up to 11 and basically drowned every gaming-event, magazine and website into Vita ads and stuff.

Instead we got these weak ass suits "Ha ho ho we don't worry about Vita, it's a great value proposition" *YAAAWWN* talk about boring. You're selling videogames with explosions, fast cars and guns, stop acting like a bunch of boring math professors. I'm sometimes surprised at how bad this industry is at selling really awesome stuff.

That's Sony for you. You saw their NPD PR for November? The PS3 had it's best November ever and beat the Wii, and SCEA was like, "Yeah, we sold PS3s. Momentum."

Opiate

Let's say the "third party franchises which are effectively first party franchises" idea is real, for the sake of argument, here. I think Final Fantasy is an example of a franchise that -- in Japan -- is very significantly tied to Sony at this point, for example.

Even if we agree this phenomenon exists, it seems like a very bad strategy for third parties to adopt. It means some major property of theirs is tied to the ups and downs of another company. Final Fantasy has done quite well given that it's on the PS3, but that's a backhanded compliment; it's done well, given that it's tied inextricably to a platform of middling popularity, with no way to escape to greener pastures. Dragon Quest, by comparison, has successfully lept from one platform/brand to another multiple times with great success.

I'm not sure Monster Hunter would suffer the same fate as Final Fantasy, nor do I think such ties are always a bad thing (SE certainly benefitted from the Playstation brand in the PS1/2 eras). But taken as a whole, it's likely in third parties interest to make it clear to consumers that their games are not inextricably tied to Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft.

cw_sasuke

Vita just launched, they wont announce all their big guns right away. They`ll have the announcements when it makes sense, probably after that launch period. As you said, they have been working on Tri G for 3DS since late 2010, but they didnt announce at the 3DS launch or even when the system was selling like crap after its launch period.

No matter what happens, i hope that the Vita will get its fair share of exclusive software and that it doesnt all will run into HD ports ala FFX or MGS collection.

Road

I think those who think just one killer app can realistically replace MH aren't aware of just how extraordinarily rare new multimillion-selling franchises are in Japan. Even PS2 didn't have any, and none of DS' were third-party.

The funny part is not that it is extremely unlikely, but that the odds are basically the same it might happen with a 3DS game instead (and one might argue the Nintendo odds are actually higher given history).

Laguna

Banned
[Nintex];33758237 said:

I think they just took MH for granted and wanted to concentrate on their own games. I agree that their reaction to the MHTriG announcement wasn´t really good, atleast they managed to announce a FFX multiplatform port a week later. But this was back in October, by now they should have made a little more announcements to counter the MH4 announcement or at the very least they should have pushed SQEX to show at least a logo/banner for FFX by now.

[Nintex];33758237 said:

Hype can only take you so far. Nintendo is offering the better product at a better price, plain and simple. Sony could have screamed "Uncharted! Uncharted!" at the top of their lungs for 10 months straight and the results would be no different.

donny2112

There's never going to be a PS2 like marketplace again,

You're right. Third-parties focused on a Nintendo platform could be even better. Nintendo first-party is way more productive than Sony first-party, so a Nintendo system with full industry support could blow apart the PS2 in first and third-party sales in the end. Good point.

cw_sasuke

I think they just took MH for granted and wanted to concentrate on their own games. I agree that their reaction to the MHTriG announcement wasn´t really good, atleast they managed to announce a FFX multiplatform port a week later. But this was back in October, by now they should have made a little more announcements to counter the MH4 announcement or at the very least they should have pushed SQEX to show at least a logo/banner for FFX by now.

There is nothing to "counter" MH4... other IPs in that league are already locked up on 3DS (Mario, Pokemon, Dragon Quest). Right now they can compete with Nintendos first party offering, 3DS userbase and its price point. They`ll just have to wait till the can drop the Vita price and secure at least 1-2 exclusive blockbusters.

Sony had a chance to announce big third-party titles at the NGP unveiling nearly a year ago. They had a chance at E3. They had a chance at Gamescom. They had a chance at TGS. The sum total of the "big" third-party announcements thus far: three logos for popular Western franchises; a future console/Vita multiplatform release from a third party that had been one of PSP's biggest exclusive supporters (KojiPro); and a non-exclusive enhanced PS2 port (FFX HD).

Sony could still prove me wrong with a few major announcements next year, but at this point, the easiest conclusion to draw (IMO) is that the level of third-party support they need just isn't there.

Laguna

Banned
There is nothing to "counter" MH4... other IPs in that league are already locked up on 3DS (Mario, Pokemon, Dragon Quest). Right now they can compete with Nintendos first party offering, 3DS userbase and its price point. They`ll just have to wait till the can drop the Vita price and secure at least 1-2 exclusive blockbusters.

What I meant is that they should have tried to make more announcements as a counter measure. We know how well it went on PSP with Gran Tourismo, but I think a similar GT announement for Vita or stuff like Crisis Core that were both announced years before completition wouldn´t have been such a bad idea. People wouldn´t have been fooled as much as back then but at the very least it would have had some extra coverage.

Sony had a chance to announce big third-party titles at the NGP unveiling nearly a year ago. They had a chance at E3. They had a chance at Gamescom. They had a chance at TGS. The sum total of the "big" third-party announcements thus far: three logos for popular Western franchises; a future console/Vita multiplatform release from a third party that had been one of PSP's biggest exclusive supporters (KojiPro); and a non-exclusive enhanced PS2 port (FFX HD).

Sony could still prove me wrong with a few major announcements next year, but at this point, the easiest conclusion to draw (IMO) is that the level of third-party support they need just isn't there.

I agree with you. I still remember the wait for conference xyz excuse. The highlight was "wait for TGS for the real Monster Hunter sequel for Vita, and not a lazy port like Tri for 3DS", we know what happened "at" TGS (MH4 3DS announcement).

Top Bottom