• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Are you actually expecting XV to still happen this generation?

Not really, but if it were to happen I think that's what it would look like.

A remake of FF VII would be risky. On one hand, it could revive the franchise thanks to the popularity of that particular game and cancel the shitty decisions of last years. On the other hand, a failed or disappointing remake could utterly and definitively destroy the franchise.

FF7 remake is like all downside. Anything less than the HD extravaganza Square-Enix "promised" people back in 2005 is going to go over like a lead balloon, but anything of that scope would take forever (and too much money) to make and still potentially sell less than an original mainline series.

A remake of FF6, say, still has a ton of room to push nostalgia buttons and remind people why they liked FF in the first place, without nearly as many pitfalls to sabotage the project.

Atlus isn´t known for visual masterpieces, so I don´t think a multiplatform release including a Vita version would be something out of question.

Oh, you mean like making it a PS3/360/Vita project? That's actually plausible, I just don't think it's worth very much to Sony since it isn't an exclusive. (And P5 isn't announced yet and no moneyhat was going to get Atlus to move up their timetable on that anyway, so we'd still be standing around today looking at P4G as the only real Vita announcement from Atlus.)

Would DQ7 likely be a 'remake'? Whether in the DQ8 or a wholly new engine, that's a big project. Certainly more ambitious than what Square Enix have shown on 3DS so far.

I don't think Square-Enix's 3DS plans so far are particularly unambitious: a full-on Kingdom Hearts title, a few original titles, and a major remake of Dragon Quest Monsters. DQ7 is a natural extension of that last one and a fitting level of attention to pay to their biggest franchise. (And, at least potentially, a testing board/preparation for a later DQXI.)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, but if it were to happen I think that's what it would look like.

FF7 remake is like all downside. Anything less than the HD extravaganza Square-Enix "promised" people back in 2005 is going to go over like a lead balloon, but anything of that scope would take forever (and too much money) to make and still potentially sell less than an original mainline series.
Well, they can release a "remake" with improved backgrounds res and char models for iOS. Im sure that would be profitable and not that hard to do. If I was S-E and was really having money troubles I would do that with all PSone era FF's.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
On 3DS? DQVII. A 3DS remake of FFVII would miss out on most of what people want out of an FFVII remake and therefore probably underwhelm; a DQ7 remake would be a big improvement. Plus DQ is a brand on the rise and FF is a brand on the decline.

I dont know about that, a "real" high budget FF7 remake on 3DS could probably outsell a DQ7 remake - especially since we dont know how much effort they would be willing to put in each project. DQ6 on DS was a disappointment remake-wise for many fans and didnt even look better than the original - if they would just put a low effort ob VII on 3DS it could get outsold by an 7 remake - potentially on Hype alone.

3DS is no Ps3, but if devs are pushing it 1-2 years from now we should see impressive looking J-RPGs - especially from SE teams. But it probably wont happen...so nevermind.

ElFly

Oh, you mean like making it a PS3/360/Vita project? That's actually plausible, I just don't think it's worth very much to Sony since it isn't an exclusive. (And P5 isn't announced yet and no moneyhat was going to get Atlus to move up their timetable on that anyway, so we'd still be standing around today looking at P4G as the only real Vita announcement from Atlus.)

I feel that putting the Vita on the same level as the PS3/360 as far as multiplatform titles go, was THE thing sony should have pushed for.

With the love that japan has for portables, letting japanese devs satisfy that market, then rereleasing those on the hd twins in the west would have been a good proposition to let devs out of the dead end that was the psp. Of course, maybe it was unrealistic, given the limitations of the Vita hardware.

Don't think we are gonna see it outside the next CoD getting a vita port.

Spiegel

I feel the biggest issue that game faces is that tastes have changed a lot since the PlayStation 1 era and the two main markets that would be interested play games on platforms that are hard to bridge.

I don't buy this. If Crisis Core can sell 2M+ on psp alone and FFXIII 6M+, the FFVII remake would sell a few million of copies just on hype and nostalgia.

Make a good game with good graphics and you have 6/7M at the very least.

I feel that putting the Vita on the same level as the PS3/360 as far as multiplatform titles go, was THE thing sony should have pushed for.

With the love that japan has for portables, letting japanese devs satisfy that market, then rereleasing those on the hd twins in the west would have been a good proposition to let devs out of the dead end that was the psp. Of course, maybe it was unrealistic, given the limitations of the Vita hardware.

I don't think that is out of the question, for japanese games. There aren't many mid/late 2012 HD games announced

Laguna

Banned

I would even go as far to say that even if it were exclusive it wouldn´t have helped alot, the same as a mainline "Tales of" alone couldn´t help any platform in a significan way as well. But that´s not the point I was trying to make. I think Sony should have tried to make some surpising announcements pre Vita release, just to make a good impression and to get the message out that Sony is trying their best to secure support.

@FF7
I think it´s unlikely we´ll see a remake anytime soon. But after FF3 with it´s strange graphics beeing the best selling handheld FF this gen in Japan I don´t think all FF fans are this fixated on graphics. I think a remake with polished last gen graphics would please alot of fans, especially if it´s on handheld.

I dont know about that, a "real" high budget FF7 remake on 3DS could probably outsell a DQ7 remake

In Japan? A full DQ7 remake (which isn't implausible at all) will do on the order of 1.3-1.6m copies; I am extremely skeptical that a 3DS remake of FF7 would do the same.

I don't buy this. If Crisis Core can sell 2M+ on psp alone and FFXIII 6M+, the FFVII remake would sell a few million of copies just on hype and nostalgia.

It's an opportunity cost question. FF7 remake on 3DS is basically a Crisis Core-type situation: a PS2-level budget on a project that'll go on to sell like 800k copies in Japan and be profitable, but effectively "use up" FF7. FF7 remake on HD systems is a $50m+ affair that will probably only sell as well as an original mainline FF, but have much deeper scrutiny (and potential negative WOM) from people for whom the remake doesn't live up to their expectations.

In both cases, original titles are just safer uses of the same budget.

cvxfreak

This long-fabled FFVII remake has got to be one of the most overblown games ever in terms of potential performance.

It wouldn't save any platform anytime soon.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
When FFVII came out the hype and anticipation for that game was huge.

I'm sure a remake would do fine but I just don't see it now setting world on fire. Times have changed.

Sadist

A remake of FF6, say, still has a ton of room to push nostalgia buttons and remind people why they liked FF in the first place, without nearly as many pitfalls to sabotage the project.
Seeing the remakes of III and IV on DS, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a remake of VI.

If 3DS stays on top that is.

Oxx

This long-fabled FFVII remake has got to be one of the most overblown games ever in terms of potential performance.

Yeah, the idea that in a scenario where Final Fantasy games are no longer significant money-spinners, the solution would be to double-down on the most Finally Fantastical of all Final Fantasys has always seemed crazy.

BurntPork

Banned
The rumor is that there is a remake of DQ7 happening. The reason there is such a rumor is that a remake of DQ7 is happening. Don't be difficult. (I know that's asking a lot of you.)

Or maybe, just maybe, I only heard about the non-specific/failed attempt at trolling rumor, and didn't know that there was one specifically saying DQ7?

I swear, I get called out and insulted for the tiniest things here.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Or maybe, just maybe, I only heard about the non-specific/failed attempt at trolling rumor, and didn't know that there was one specifically saying DQ7?

I swear, I get called out and insulted for the tiniest things here.

Your posting history will hunt you forever, get over it.

Khrno

I feel that FFXIV's platforms are kind of irrelevant because 0 * 2 and 0 * 7 ends up with the same number of subscribers. >_>

But SE are betting everything on saving and remaking the game with v2.0, they have more than 200 people working on it, and using the current build to test some features (that should have been there one year ago tho, but that's a Wada/Tanaka issue). Next month they will lose about half or maybe 2/3s of the current players, I can't see any more people paying with the current amount of content, Ifrit, Moogle and achievements are no where enough, some new dungeons will come and more primal battles should come in the next patch, but that's after having to subscribe, and personally I'm not subscribing to do the Moogle fight 200 times for the next two months.

Anyway, my point is, that FFXIV's platforms are far from irrelevant. It'd be if there were no v2.0 coming out in 10-11 months. If SE didn't care about XIV anymore, there wouldn't be any v2.0 in the works, but the game is being redone, hopefully to a 2011/2 standard, so it is in their best interests to have the game up and running on as many platforms as they can to reach the most players possible.

Now, making people pay and subscribe for the game when the re-launch happens is both Yoshida and the marketing jobs.

Sadist said:
Seeing the remakes of III and IV on DS, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a remake of VI.

If 3DS stays on top that is.

I always see this type of comments about both VII and VI remakes, but why do always people seem to forget or just skip V?

SE will eventually announce the remakes for V and then VI, when and for what platforms, who knows, same as the much wanted VII remake will come followed by the other 2 PS1 games, VIII and IX.

Laguna

Banned

Final Fantasy hype in general is in an all-time low now... I think the best time to cash in on FF7 popularity was early this gen, actually they did but not with a remake. But even back then I didn´t expect it to sell as much as a new entry (pre FF13) with 1,5m-2m at best in Japan. I think even a simple port on DSs peak would have sold this amount after seeing FF3s performance over there, instead they released them years later on PSN... Missed opportunity imo.

Spiegel

It's an opportunity cost question. FF7 remake on 3DS is basically a Crisis Core-type situation: a PS2-level budget on a project that'll go on to sell like 800k copies in Japan and be profitable, but effectively "use up" FF7. FF7 remake on HD systems is a $50m+ affair that will probably only sell as well as an original mainline FF, but have much deeper scrutiny (and potential negative WOM) from people for whom the remake doesn't live up to their expectations.

In both cases, original titles are just safer uses of the same budget.

Yeah, I agree. But the Final Fantasy brand is at a point where S-E can't play safe anymore. The next "main" Final Fantasy needs to make an impact and FFVII remake is the most realistic short-term option, in my opinion.

It's either that or let the franchise rest for 3-4 years and make sure that FFXV is amazing.

Jokeropia

Do either of the trackers ever readjust their numbers in future chart results? What I mean is that Famitsu has been tracking 3ds hardware higher than media create for the past few weeks. Surely Nintendo lets them know how much hardware they ship each week right? (I don't know)
It does happen (rarely) that they go back and change old numbers, but usually what happens when two trackers start to diverge like this is that they'll begin normalizing again soon enough. E.g. if Famitsu has been tracking 3DS higher than MC the past few weeks it's likely they'll soon be lower for a while instead.

Celine

Fuck a FFVII Remake! I want a remake of Terranigma instead!

Sl8aN.gif

But considering SE current state it's really likely they would shit on my childhood memories.

The only think that would save Square Enix ass at least in terms of reputation would be Nintendom Hearts: 20 mln copies, Nintendo advertising and a lot of money as Kingdom Hearts worked ten years ago.

luca1980

Banned
FFVII remake would sell a few million of copies just on hype and nostalgia.
Lots of ff7 fans already lost hope on ff and few of them dislike over the top drammatic (ridiculius) action cutscenes se put nowdays.
A ff7 remake as advent children's style cutscenes is not bearable

extralite

I would be surprised if they never[/i get back to the FF remake series, but it's not that weird to me that they haven't talked about it yet. Even last gen, "FF3 for DS" was announced right away but that project was actually scrapped and the remake we finally got was a completely different project that started well after that announcement and wasn't released until several years into the system's life.

Really? The way I remember it, Matrix started development for FFIII on PS2 after finishing up DQV, then shifted the project to DS because SE wanted something for the new platform. So that scrapped project should've been the early PS2 version.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, I agree. But the Final Fantasy brand is at a point where S-E can't play safe anymore. The next "main" Final Fantasy needs to make an impact and FFVII remake is the most realistic short-term option, in my opinion.

It's either that or let the franchise rest for 3-4 years and make sure that FFXV is amazing.

FF XV being amazing won't be enough.

Final Fantasy XII and IX are widely considered by alot of people to not only be amazing but some of the best titles since the early days. Thing is these are also the two worst performing 3D FF main line titles.

FF XV needs to be quality that is true. However unlike alot of people here I think being amazing or appealing to the west won't be enough.

They need something that can bridge fanbases is the biggest factor, and just shoving an art style like XII with a lead like Basche will not do it.

All that said, even if VII had the power to cross the gap, the amount of money and time it would need is still asking way to much when it likely wouldn't do VII and X numbers anyway.

yurinka

It makes sense for the games focused to a western market, but maybe not for the Japan only ones.

They have Versus XIII for the end of this generation, and the FFX HD port. Add a FFXII HD port, and I think they are done for this gen regardin FF.
For the next gen, maybe a FFVII remake maybe it would be too much budget, and to launch a FFXV as first game in the gen without relaunching the IP would be a suicide.
Instead, before I can see a FFVII HD in this gen just tweaking the art assets and porting it to Vita too, and maybe adding 3D to the 2D backgrounds for a PS3/3DS version.
And after that to release FFXV for the next gen, that would include some FFVII main character as cameo if not as the main one.

Takao

Banned
Why do people think a FFVIIr would be huge? I just don't see it.

You don't see the most popular Final Fantasy title (yeah, I know VIII outsold VII in Japan) being remade being a huge thing when Final Fantasy III was remade and sold millions?

Uh, er, okay.

qq more

Yeah, the 3DS is way too weak for a remake. Just look at Rayman 3D.

Indeed. Ubisoft, known for their superb programming skills, couldn't even port a god damn Dreamcast game into the 3DS without making it suffer with horrible framerate issues.

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
3DS could easily do it, but they'll never put that sort of budget into a remake.

I want to throw this general point under the issues I feel the Vita will face.

The vast majority of 3DS games don't use the full visual quality or game scope enabled by the system's hardware.

If the 3DS is too high of a graphical bar to actually bother with, and games beyond the content scope of a PSP title are largely out of the question, what's the point of the Vita?

Top Bottom