• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2016 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Oregano

If they want western third party support, they will push the console angle because no one wants to support a handheld in the current gaming market.

They can call it a tambourine if they want, third parties just want to know if they can port their games to and if they'll sell well.

They can call it a tambourine if they want, third parties just want to know if they can port their games to and if they'll sell well.
Just like it happened with the Wii? Sure.

The weaker hardware already is a big hurdle for western third party support. Doubt we are getting any GTA/RDR type game on it.

Oregano

The weaker hardware already is a big hurdle for western third party support. Doubt we are getting any GTA/RDR type game on it.

The Wii couldn't handle ports for the most part. Switch may or may not be different.

A rumour just popped up today that Assassin's Creed Egypt will release on Switch alongside PS4/XBO

Oregano decided to stop meltdowns and give Aostia its crown?

I just couldn't compete....*sigh*

Ōkami

By that exact same logic, they'll market it as a handheld for Japan, which is totally possible.

Btw, on a totally separate note, why didn't Dragon Quest Builders pop up on the charts for Vita during the holidays? Has it not received any kind of price cut? I would assume some sort of budget version of the game would sell well to the Minecraft Vita crowd at least...
Minecraft crowd seem to prefer Minecraft.

Builders was actually released as an Ultimate Hits game on December 1st, pretty sure even the budget release of that game is more expensive than Minecraft.

The Wii couldn't handle ports for the most part. Switch may or may not be different.

A rumour just popped up today that Assassin's Creed Egypt will release on Switch alongside PS4/XBO
That's the point. The hardware makes it as irrelevant as Wii for ports.

If the Switch is a big success, then I have no doubt we will get customized ports for it, just like Wii.

P.S Ubisoft is always at the forefront when it comes to supporting new hardware but they will bail harder than EA once they sense their efforts failing :p. AC: Egypt for Switch is not exactly a surprise even if it is a rumor for now.

Ōkami;227312072 said:
01. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 3.246.222
02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura - 1.397.436
03. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 860.127
04. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 743.388
05. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - 609.603
06. [3DS] Yo-Kai Sangokushi - 545.653
07. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki - 509.667
08. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 479.698
09. [WIU] Splatoon - 398.251
10. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 397.607
Final Fantasy XV is in the top 3 best selling game in Japan. What a flop! /s

I am surprised that Minecraft made it to the list. Perhaps one of the leggiest PS game in history.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Btw, on a totally separate note, why didn't Dragon Quest Builders pop up on the charts for Vita during the holidays? Has it not received any kind of price cut? I would assume some sort of budget version of the game would sell well to the Minecraft Vita crowd at least...

Builders showed from first weeks it would be a very frontloaded title, as it happened. Budget reprints won't help it a lot.

Oregano

That's the point. The hardware makes it as irrelevant as Wii for ports.

If the Switch is a big success, then I have no doubt we will get customized ports for it, just like Wii.

P.S Ubisoft is always at the forefront when it comes to supporting new hardware but they will bail harder than EA once they sense their efforts failing :p. AC: Egypt for Switch is not exactly a surprise even if it is a rumor for now.

Final Fantasy XV is in the top 3 best selling game in Japan. What a flop! /s

I am surprised that Minecraft made it to the list. Perhaps one of the leggiest PS game in history.

Yes, Assassins Creed isn't a surprise. Look at all those Assassin Creed games they ported to the Wii.

Eolz

total_tv_sales.png

But what is up front. We are already nearly past year 3, perhaps a midpoint if 6 year cycles are used. PS4 sales are probably at 55 million shipped, so what you place the LTD at assuming its front loaded because I think 100 million shipped is possible.

100M WW is definitely possible (doesn't mean it'll be the case of course), despite a very likely shorter life than the PS3. Above that is another debate.

We havent seen their marketing for the JPN market yet. They unveiled the system a couple of weeks before the 3DS was about to get its biggest games of the year - 3DS is their only money maker so it makes sense that they didnt want to market it as their next handheld while trying to sell 3DS systems this Holiday season.

This. It'll be important to see how it'll be marketed even after launch in the various regions.

edit:
I have to wonder if the sequel to Builders will show up on Vita or will they ditch it altogether and go with PS4/Switch. Hmmmmm

PS4/Switch/PC/Vita? Doubt it'll be a lot more than Builders 1 + online.

Yes, Assassins Creed isn't a surprise. Look at all those Assassin Creed games they ported to the Wii.
You do know even the PS Vita received a brand new AC game ;)

My point was Ubisoft has supported any new hardware and if you talk about Wii, they had crazy success on it with their casual games. Why bother with their most of other hardcore stuff like AC when the casual games were selling like hot cakes.

PS4/Switch/PC/Vita? Doubt it'll be a lot more than Builders 1 + online.
I don't think Builders is coming to PC. Neither I have any hope of DQ ever coming to PC. They tried with Heroes and it failed miserably. I wonder if they will bother with Heroes 2 on PC.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Wii U you mean? Ubisoft supporting the Switch isn't a surprise at all. They supported the Wii U more than Nintendo did in 2013 in terms of titles lol. An AC title released for Vita, and 3&4 released for Wii U.

Wii U you mean? Ubisoft supporting the Switch isn't a surprise at all. They supported the Wii U more than Nintendo did in 2013 in terms of titles lol. An AC title released for Vita, and 3&4 released for Wii U.

No, he means the Wii. The argument going on being that the Switch receiving a mainline AC day and date with the PS4/XBO is the same sort of support the Wii received.

Which it isn't.

Oregano

You do know even the PS Vita received a brand new AC game ;)

My point was Ubisoft has supported any new hardware and if you talk about Wii, they had crazy success on it with their casual games. Why bother with their most of other hardcore stuff like AC when the casual games were selling like hot cakes.

The Vita got an exclusive Assassin's Creed, not a port of the big boy one.

Wii U was on par with PS3/360. It didn't get Unity or Syndicate.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I do think it could have at least a -5%, most probably could have a better second week than first. They mismanaged the game allowing the stock issue.

100k+ lost sales for a week is a very big amount with download cards and direct eShop downloads existing nowdays.

Even if there were lost sales next weeks should replenish them.

The Vita got an exclusive Assassin's Creed, not a port of the big boy one.
Let's wait for the confirmation of the rumor then? I mean for all we know, it could be something else entirely.

I highly doubt the Switch can run a current generation open world AC game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
total_tv_sales.png

But what is up front. We are already nearly past year 3, perhaps a midpoint if 6 year cycles are used. PS4 sales are probably at 55 million shipped, so what you place the LTD at assuming its front loaded because I think 100 million shipped is possible.

I think this chart does a good job explaining it actually. The fifth PlayStation year and sixth Xbox year had the highest sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if last year was the best year either the PS4 or XB1 had.

That's not necessarily a problem, mind. You can, as you pointed out, still ship a ton of units by having your best years up front and then slower years later.

The main implication is you have to replace your console platform notably sooner if you don't want the really problematic late gen sales.

Still there are a whole bunch of other factors involve in there .
Like release date for the system per region and price also play a big part of that .
Is this gen frontloaded or did last gen just take really long to get going compare to normal gens .
One thing for certain is this gen won't last as long as last gen .
Then Pro and Scorpio already change things compare to gens before them .
Sure. I don't think this spells doom or anything. I just expect a transition by 2019 or 2020 at the latest because I don't think these systems actually have the sales momentum to keep going past that. Honestly, I expect things to start looking pretty ugly by calendar 2019 regardless, so hopefully it's not actually 2020.

Now, in Japan it might be more of an issue because the PS4's trajectory is more similar to the PS3 generation, so a "quick" flip is going to upset the market a bit, but I don't think that's a major concern when it's such a small part of Sony's business anyway.

MacTag

Banned

Wii to 360/PS3 is too big a gap for comparison. Switch to PS4/One is more like PSP to PS2/GC or Vita to 360/PS3.

sense

I think this chart does a good job explaining it actually. The fifth PlayStation year and sixth Xbox year had the highest sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if last year was the best year either the PS4 or XB1 had.

That's not necessarily a problem, mind. You can, as you pointed out, still ship a ton of units by having your best years up front and then slower years later.

The main implication is you have to replace your console platform notably sooner if you don't want the really problematic late gen sales.

Sure. I don't think this spells doom or anything. I just expect a transition by 2019 or 2020 at the latest because I don't think these systems actually have the sales momentum to keep going past that. Honestly, I expect things to start looking pretty ugly by calendar 2019 regardless, so hopefully it's not actually 2020.

Now, in Japan it might be more of an issue because the PS4's trajectory is more similar to the PS3 generation, so a "quick" flip is going to upset the market a bit, but I don't think that's a major concern when it's such a small part of Sony's business anyway.
Honestly don't think this year had any games that push hardware or bundles outside maybe bf1 but that is usually more preferred on pc and the bad reception of cod didn't help. Rdr2, battlefront 2, destiny 2 bundles will sell way better next year and if prices hit 199$ that would be huge. Rdr2 especially will be very attractive for pushing pc players to pick up a console

Eolz

Let's wait for the confirmation of the rumor then? I mean for all we know, it could be something else entirely.

I highly doubt the Switch can run a current generation open world AC game.

You'll probably be surprised at what it can run. Doesn't mean it'll look good or run well though...

Honestly don't think this year had any games that push hardware or bundles outside maybe bf1 but that is usually more preferred on pc and the bad reception of cod didn't help. Rdr2, battlefront 2, destiny 2 bundles will sell way better next year and if prices hit 199$ that would be huge. Rdr2 especially will be very attractive for pushing pc players to pick up a console

I'm not sure about that. PC players remember the whole GTA V situation, and there's less reasons for them to buy a PS4 when those games get a port announced some months later nowadays...
If they get one, it'll be for multiple reasons, not an "exclusive".

Takao

Banned
Does that mean that the Vita sold more Dragon Quest copies than the PS4 in 2016?

I said this a couple of months ago, but the PS DQ spinoffs haven't really done their job. The PS3/Vita versions of those games were supposed to be insurance, not where the majority of copies would be sold.

Ōkami

LTD after 6 weeks

[GB] Pokémon Red / Green - 203.022

[GB] Pokémon Gold / Silver - 3.628.628

[GBA] Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire - 3.197.762

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl - 2.935.294

[NDS] Pokémon Black / White - 4.235.381

[3DS] Pokémon X / Y - 3.244.689

[3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon - 3.246.222

Ōkami;227318982 said:
LTD after 6 weeks

Look at the consistency, good grief.

Even though im not a huge fan of that company, i dont know that they could be run any better. They have maintained thier popularity for 2 decades now and show absolutely no signs of slowing down.

novabolt

Ōkami;227318982 said:
LTD after 6 weeks

These numbers show that even Japan thought that B/W was probably one of the best Pokémon games to be created.

L~A

Is it me or does it look like Super Mario Maker for the 3DS is outpacing the Wii U version?

It is, by a wide margin. Then again, direct comparisons are a bit unfair, since SMM on Wii U was released in September, while the 3DS version launched right as the holiday period was heating up. But it's true that even without that, the 3DS version would most likely still be outselling the Wii U version.

Arzehn

3DS and PS4 had a great holiday... very impressive

WiiU is a complete collapse from last year, bigger than I expected. What has been the stock situation? Splatoon was a non-factor this Christmas.

SaGa... :( Going to wait for superior tracker to confirm it's demise.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ōkami;227318982 said:
LTD after 6 weeks

Funny how Diamond & Pearl were the best selling entries with the worst 1st 6 weeks (except R/G obviously) lol. It's all about the legs. B/W was ridiculous up front though. Surprised at how close X/Y & S/M are though.I thought this past week would push S/M more ahead of X/Y given the 300K+ sales and it being the holidays and all (for X/Y it would've been mid-Nov).

sense

You'll probably be surprised at what it can run. Doesn't mean it'll look good or run well though...

I'm not sure about that. PC players remember the whole GTA V situation, and there's less reasons for them to buy a PS4 when those games get a port announced some months later nowadays...
If they get one, it'll be for multiple reasons, not an "exclusive".
I only brought that up because it is one of those huge games that the hype around release time will get people to buy the console especially if they are as cheap as 199. I am sure people know it will come to pc eventually but the rockstar brand is very strong and there will be people that will give in imo

I only brought that up because it is one of those huge games that the hype around release time will get people to buy the console especially if they are as cheap as 199. I am sure people know it will come to pc eventually but the rockstar brand is very strong and there will be people that will give in imo
People talk alot about waiting for a PC port but who in their right mind would wait for a PC port for story heavy game like RDR2.

I would be mad if I had to wait 1 year to play RDR since the ending will be spoiled practically everywhere.

I said this a couple of months ago, but the PS DQ spinoffs haven't really done their job. The PS3/Vita versions of those games were supposed to be insurance, not where the majority of copies would be sold.
Yeh, I agree.

I don't expect much from the DQXI release because of this reason. It would be lucky to match or exceed FFXV sales.

wrowa

I don't think the audience that owns a gaming PC (and isn't interested exclusively in LoL/Dota and the likes) but no console is all that big to begin with.

Sagitario

Thing is they didn't just port Mario Maker to 3DS, they made the next 2D Mario game and bolted the Mario editor onto it and branded it as a Mario Maker port for some reason.

People who skipped it thinking no online meant there was nothing to do are missing out on a stellar 2D Mario game here!

Pretty much this - the games are designed that way that even if you dont care about the building level aspect there is enough for you to play with.

🤔
So, if I don't care about building/sharing levels and all that, there are still enough levels built-in for single/solo play?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

You can't force the market to head somewhere it doesn't want to go.

At the end of the day consumers will decide where they want to invest their money.

Vena

You can't force the market to head somewhere it doesn't want to go.

At the end of the day consumers will decide where they want to invest their money.

I'd suspect the performance of those spin-offs probably greatly influenced the Switch version of DQXI, and in general has "helped" (if you can call the market holding a gun to their head) SEs rather bullish stance on Switch support.

This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at things. Firstly the switch will be closer to the xbone/PS4 than wii was to 360/PS4. More importantly though the switch has a more modern architecture which will make porting games to it far easier than on the wii.

That's not to say it will receive good 3rd party support. If it doesn't it won't be because of the difficulty of porting games due to the power of the console.

sense

i think it is safe to say they can drop ps3 versions of games. they probably need to do vita for a potential dqh3/dqb2. Then again they can/probably will drop vita and go ps4/switch for them.

I'd suspect the performance of those spin-offs probably greatly influenced the Switch version of DQXI, and in general has "helped" (if you can call the market holding a gun to their head) SEs rather bullish stance on Switch support.
Lol. I doubt it was their performance. Hori just has a soft spot for Nintendo hardware and considering they need another handheld after 3DS, Switch needs to keep the fans.

This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at things. Firstly the switch will be closer to the xbone/PS4 than wii was to 360/PS4. More importantly though the switch has a more modern architecture which will make porting games to it far easier than on the wii.

That's not to say it will receive good 3rd party support. If it doesn't it won't be because of the difficulty of porting games due to the power of the console.
The Switch is nowhere close to PS4/XBO in power. There is 3x to 4 difference in GPU power between the hardware, that is already pretty significant.

Hellraider

I think you are underestimating software sales for some games... GTS is the first PS4 GT and it will sell more than GT6 did... RE7 I expect to be a massive success in both critic, sales and wom... DQXI will sell gangbusters on PS4 (3DS too)... FFVIIR will sell more than FFXV.

I literally disagree in everything sales related in your comment, lol!

GTS sales will be horrible. The writing is on the wall with both the downfall of the genre in Japan as well the franchise's. Situation with home console also doesn't help. Wouldn't suprise me if it doesn't manage to sell even half of what GT6 did.

RE7 is a game made with the West in mind and has a clearly reduced budget (which coming from RE6 is a step on the right direction but this is a conversation for another thread). It also has a first person perspective and is heavily influenced by American horror movies. There is no reason to expect anything amazing from the Japanese release. Half of what RE6 did would be a pretty decent showing in my books, I doubt it's gonna get anywhere close to that.

I don't know how much "gangbusters" is, but I hope you don't mean anything more than a million.

There is absolutely no sense in expecting FFVIIR to outsell the mainline game, especially when you take into account the way the game is being released (trilogy).

There is absolutely no sense in expecting FFVIIR to outsell the mainline game, especially when you take into account the way the game is being released (trilogy).

We don't know if it's going to be a trilogy it could be less or more .
Still i don't see the problem of expecting FFVIIR to out sell FFXV.
FFVII is the biggest mainline FF game ever and FFXV is lowest selling one in past 20 years.
So the bar is not really that high to begin with .

Lol. I doubt it was their performance. Hori just has a soft spot for Nintendo hardware and considering they need another handheld after 3DS, Switch needs to keep the fans.

The Switch is nowhere close to PS4/XBO in power. There is 3x to 4 difference in GPU power between the hardware, that is already pretty significant.

Where did I say the switch was close to as powerful as PS4/xbone? I said it will be closer to them than the wii was to the PS3/360.

You also totally ignored the rest of my post which was the most important part. The switch has far more modern architecture than the wii had at the time and supports the modern engines on the xbone and PS4. Porting games to the switch will be far easier than porting games to the wii.

I feel your first paragraph says something about your bias rather than horis. What evidence is there that he is just a fan of Nintendo HW?

Oregano

We don't know if it's going to be a trilogy it could be less or more .
Still i don't see the problem of expecting FFVIIR to out sell FFXV.
FFVII is the biggest mainline FF game ever and FFXV is lowest selling one in past 20 years.
So the bar is not really that high to begin with .

Wouldn't the issue with that be that people who are gaming on consoles/PS4 are evidently not the same people who played FFVII?

In general though it's very rare for remakes to outsell new entries.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
We've had so many games that were cross-gen this generation (even as recently as the DQ spinoffs, and Persona 5), so if the Switch is definitely more powerful than the Wii U in portable mode (which rumors seem to indicate), and it supports all the main engines well, it's rather feasible to port to it. The question is whether it's popular enough and will things sell on it. Jan 12th will give us a better idea of how it may do.

Wouldn't the issue with that be that people who are gaming on consoles/PS4 are evidently not the same people who played FFVII?

In general though it's very rare for remakes to outsell new entries.

I think this will depend of how much new content the remake has .
Along with how they market it ( nostalgia can be a powerful marketing tool )
Still it should be more inline with Japanese taste and PS4 user base should be bigger .
So that should help also .

Top Bottom