• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2016 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

I said this a couple of months ago, but the PS DQ spinoffs haven't really done their job. The PS3/Vita versions of those games were supposed to be insurance, not where the majority of copies would be sold.

I feel like things are moving in the right direction for this though - maybe not for Square Enix in particular, but with things like SAO we've seen a PSV/PS3 split that was heavily in the handheld's favour that turned to a 50/50 split for the most recent game when PS4 was introduced. I'm assuming Accel World vs. SAO is gonna lean a little bit in PS4's favour.

But they've just not got enough time. If they had another year or two to migrate userbase across they'd be in a better position, but Switch is here now and ready to take over, which doesn't leave Sony in a great position.

I'd suspect the performance of those spin-offs probably greatly influenced the Switch version of DQXI, and in general has "helped" (if you can call the market holding a gun to their head) SEs rather bullish stance on Switch support.

Lol. I wish Vita had had the same 'bullish' stance from Square Enix that Switch has apparently had. Two games announced before the console is even properly unveiled - two Dragon Quest games at that!

Takao

Banned
I feel like things are moving in the right direction for this though - maybe not for Square Enix in particular, but with things like SAO we've seen a PSV/PS3 split that was heavily in the handheld's favour that turned to a 50/50 split for the most recent game when PS4 was introduced. I'm assuming Accel World vs. SAO is gonna lean a little bit in PS4's favour.

What good is that transition if it comes as a result of heavy pandering to one platform that leads to lower sales overall? Hollow Realization is the second worst selling SAO game in Japan. The Vita version launching in the state it did has to be one of the reasons why.

test_account

XP-39C²
Where did I say the switch was close to as powerful as PS4/xbone? I said it will be closer to them than the wii was to the PS3/360.

You also totally ignored the rest of my post which was the most important part. The switch has far more modern architecture than the wii had at the time and supports the modern engines on the xbone and PS4. Porting games to the switch will be far easier than porting games to the wii.

I feel your first paragraph says something about your bias rather than horis. What evidence is there that he is just a fan of Nintendo HW?
He means that the power difference between the system can be a reason for not getting ports. Porting stuff requires work and if the developers really need to rework a lot of the game to work acceptable on a weaker hardware, it might not be worth it.

My 2017 console sales predictions.

Switch - between 4 and 4.5 million units
3DS - between 1 and 1.5 million units
PS4 - slightly more than 1.5 million units
Vita - slightly more than 500k units
XB1 - slightly less than 3k units

test_account

XP-39C²
maybe he's concerned that an old ass handheld could beat the PS4 on its peak year?
Not sure if thats much to be concerned about at this point in time. Doesnt really matter if something sells better than something else, its the raw numbers that matters.

saichi

Oh come on. Seriously? It has pretty much sold what SE had been expecting.

Every now and then people continue showing up in MC thread and thinking a game can sell out its first shipment in Japan means it meets the publisher's expectation. It doesn't work that way.

PS4 over 100k in the last week of 2016 holds strong my prediction that PS3 won't overtake PS4 launch aligned in 2017.

This year performance already put PS4 over PS3 for at least next year.

Let's see how it performs next year ;)

I believe 2017 lineup is better than 2016 in Japan.

Did you already consider the FFXIII boost PS3 will be getting in a few weeks?

I wonder if PS4 can beat PS3 LTD.

PS3 didn't have Dragon Quest, we'll see.

not likely even with DQXI on PS4.

Maybe FFXV will reach 1 million!

not at retail in Japan.

The certainity for everything you predict is astonishing.

If Switch reaches half of 3DS LT in Japan, he can just say Nintendo is lucky. That would explain why.

Oh, is FFXV suddenly not going to make any more profit? I said from the initial shipment not LTD.

Could be the same thing ;)

I really can't take more posts saying FFVIIr or KH3 will push PS4 in Japan... Sure they will push some hardware (like Yakuza 6 did) but they won't make a difference in the big picture.

He means that the power difference between the system can be a reason for not getting ports. Porting stuff requires work and if the developers really need to rework a lot of the game to work acceptable on a weaker hardware, it might not be worth it.

I know exactly what he meant. The comparison to the wii is a poor one. The switch is closer to the PS4/xbone than the wii was to the PS3/360.

The more important point though was that power isn't the only factor. From what has been leaked the switch has a modern architecture that supports the advanced engines being used for current gen. That means that porting should be relatively easy even if it isn't quite there powerwise.

With the wii not only did devs have to go back an entire generation power wise. They also had to deal with a console that didn't support a lot of modern engines and advanced techniques.

Again the switch might not get much 3rd party support but it's not another wii situation in terms of difficulty porting games.

hiska-kun

Media Create is up. Lower sales for the Top 2.
Hardware not available yet. Maybe the official website might update at evening time.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2016 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

01./02. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.11.18} (¥4.980) - 279.436 / 2.858.396 (+40%)
02./03. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.12.01} (¥4.700) - 269.368 / 717.528 (+60%)
03./01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800) - 174.180 / 512.159 (-49%)
04./00. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo) {2016.12.22} (¥4.980) - 132.875 / NEW
05./09. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 51.723 / 1.018.699 (+154%)
06./07. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.12.08} (¥4.700) - 47.688 / 102.711 (+72%)
07./06. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 39.438 / 854.041 (-12%)
08./11. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600) - 32.213 / 247.941 (+96%)
09./05. [PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life # <ADV> (Sega) {2016.12.08} (¥8.190) - 29.917 / 292.677 (-33%)
10./12. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800) - 25.442 / 131.167 (+60%)
11./13. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.10.20} (¥4.700) - 23.708 / 127.887 (+52%)
12./08. [3DS] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes <SLG> (Konami) {2016.12.15} (¥4.500) - 22.412 / 49.085 (-16%)
13./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} (¥2.700) - 22.289 / 74.984 (+53%)
14./00. [3DS] Osomatsu-San: Matsu Matsuri! # <PZL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.12.22} (¥4.800) - 16.911 / NEW
15./19. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 15.860 / 1.532.079 (+83%)
16./18. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700) - 15.359 / 511.880 (+44%)
17./25. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories # <RPG> (Capcom) {2016.10.08} (¥5.800) - 15.021 / ??
18./15. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.571) - 14.754 / 2.502.935 (+2%)
19./04. [PSV] SaGa: Scarlet Grace <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.12.15} (¥6.800) - 14.499 / 79.464 (-78%)
20./22. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700) - 14.364 / ??
21./20. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
22./26. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter / Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2016.07.28} (¥4.800)
23./10. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura - Busters T-Pack {Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura} <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥6.400)
24./23. [3DS] Beyblade Burst <RPG> (FuRyu) {2016.11.10} (¥5.780)
25./00. [PSV] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6: Gentou Rondo # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.12.22} (¥6.800)
26./16. [PS4] Watch Dogs 2 <ADV> (Ubisoft) {2016.12.01} (¥8.400)
27./28. [3DS] 12-Sai. Koisuru Diary <ADV> (Happinet) {2016.08.04} (¥5.815)
28./30. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.04} (¥5.700)
29./24. [WIU] Paper Mario: Color Splash <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.10.13} (¥5.700)
20./21. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2 # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.05} (¥5.690)

Top 30

3DS - 20
WIU - 4
PS4 - 3
PSV - 3

____

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201612290007/

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Switch - 4.2 million (Pokemon Stars, Mario, Zelda, DQ)
PS4 : 2 million
3DS - 1.1 million
Xbox One : 20K

2016 will be the peak year of the PS4 in Japan.

PS4 Pro isn't gonna have legs to carry it and the only big game left for it to get is DQXI, which is more likely then not going to sell more on both the 3DS and Switch. There just isn't anything to release in Japan that will push it unless they get some lightning in the bottle action going on.

I know exactly what he meant. The comparison to the wii is a poor one. The switch is closer to the PS4/xbone than the wii was to the PS3/360.

The more important point though was that power isn't the only factor. From what has been leaked the switch has a modern architecture that supports the advanced engines being used for current gen. That means that porting should be relatively easy even if it isn't quite there powerwise.

With the wii not only did devs have to go back an entire generation power wise. They also had to deal with a console that didn't support a lot of modern engines and advanced techniques.

Again the switch might not get much 3rd party support but it's not another wii situation in terms of difficulty porting games.
Modern architecture that is made more complex with the huge gulf between handheld and console mode.

If any developer has to port their game to Switch, they will have to optimize it for two different hardware profiles on top of there being PS4Pro and Scorpio.

I love how you think that just on the basis in modern architecture, Switch should be able to get ports easily. Have you seen the state of some of the most recent Vita ports with heavier focus on PS4?

I also don't understand why you want ports on Switch when it will be more interesting because of Nintendo exclusives and some other third party games from Japan that never target a high profile hardware.

Keep in mind that in my discussion, we were talking about Western third party support, which is always tricky to get on a low spec hardware unless your hardware sells like hotcakes.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Modern architecture that is made more complex with the huge gulf between handheld and console mode.

If any developer has to port their game to Switch, they will have to optimize it for two different hardware profiles on top of their being PS4Pro and Scorpio.

I love how you think that just on the basis in modern architecture, Switch should be able to get ports easily. Have you seen the state of some of the most recent Vita ports with heavier focus on PS4?

I also don't understand why you want ports on Switch when it will be more interesting because of Nintendo exclusives and some other third party games from Japan that never target a high profile hardware.

Keep in mind that in my discussion, we were talking about Western third party support, which is always tricky to get on a low spec hardware unless your hardware sells like hotcakes.

So tell me what is your experience developing cross platform games between the Switch and PS4/X1? I mean you seem to know a lot so you might as well let us in to that insider knowledge you have floating around.

Then again I also thought we were in a sales discussion thread, it is unlucky to be wrong twice in one day.

Yeah I mean is there any reason why Switch won't DOMINATE Japan?

There isn't a reason. Its first year is going to be stacked already just based off of the titles we know are coming. It has some heavy hitters in Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah I mean is there any reason why Switch won't DOMINATE Japan?

Splatoon and Smash were big on WiiU/3DS - they will be big on Switch. I didnt said anything about dominating.

You do realize that Switch is much more powerful than the Vita right ? What was the point of that comparison again ? We already have a bunch of games being Multiplattform on PS4/Switch and the trend will continue - unless you think those 3rdPartys wanna limit their sales potential by being PS4 only in Japan.

Mario007

You do realize that Switch is much more powerful than the Vita right ? What was the point of that comparison again ? We already have a bunch of games being Multiplattform on PS4/Switch and the trend will continue - unless you think those 3rdPartys wanna limit their sales potential by being PS4 only in Japan.

To be fair from the perspective of the western third parties, Switch is about half as powerful as the PS4, about 5-6 times less powerful then the Pro and soon to be obliterated by Scorpio which will be about 7-8 times more powerful. I mean I'm sure it will get ports and all, but to think everything will be ok because of the "modern architecture" is idealistic at best. I mean Switch is already missing the biggest game next year.

Which games are we talking about here?

Nothing has been confirmed regarding DQXI and people are skeptical that it will be able to run the PS4 version. If you want to talk about Skyrim, then do keep in mind it is a very old game that was recently remastered. NBA 2K? From the footage we saw, it looks more like a mobile based game rather than console one with HQ character models.

It is too early to talk about games but don't expect any big surprises especially from the West.

Lastly I already said third party support will be there from Japan but not with high profile games like FFXV, VII Remake, etc.

So tell me what is your experience developing cross platform games between the Switch and PS4/X1? I mean you seem to know a lot so you might as well let us in to that insider knowledge you have floating around.

Then again I also thought we were in a sales discussion thread, it is unlucky to be wrong twice in one day..
I hope you have taken a look at specs leaked by Eurogamer. Unless I missed some other recent rumor about specs?

hiska-kun

I knew that the 10th game of the leak would be Sumikko.
I'm the blog guy.

No, the 10th game is Yakuza, because he tracked Sun and Moon as diferent Skus.

Original post with corrections bolded.

The blog is leaking the Top 10 ranking positions:

01. Super Mario Maker
02. YW3 Sukiyaki
03. Pokemon Sun
04. Momotaro Dentetsu 2016
05. Pokemon Moon
06. Jikkyou Powerful (Wrong, it was Minecraft Vita)
07. Miitopia
08. FF XV
09. Minecraft (Wii U version)
10. ¿? (It was Yakuza 6)

Cant figure out the last one, you can click the links to check the hints the blog gave.
I think the others should be correct.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you have taken a look at specs leaked by Eurogamer. Unless I missed some other recent rumor about specs?

Thanks for answering the question.

If you want to talk about speculative performance more power to you. The thing is there is no reason to use speculation to discuss a system that isn't released in order to extrapolate what games it will get, or how successful it will be.

Switch might not get ports, it might get ports, it might get selective ports or down-ports. All of these are possibilities but none of them have anything to do with discussing its future sales potential.

What has relevance is discussing the games we know it will get in 2017 and how those games will affect its market penetration and success. Then again I always forget that MediaCreate, around system releases, is generally just a bunch of speculatory drivel that drives away people actually interested in discussing sales.

Thanks for answering the question.

If you want to talk about speculative performance more power to you. The thing is there is no reason to use speculation to discuss a system that isn't released in order to extrapolate what games it will get, or how successful it will be.

Switch might not get ports, it might get ports, it might get selective ports or down-ports. All of these are possibilities but none of them have anything to do with discussing its future sales potential.

What has relevance is discussing the games we know it will get in 2017 and how those games will affect its market penetration and success. Then again I always forget that MediaCreate, around system releases, is generally just a bunch of speculatory drivel that drives away people actually interested in discussing sales.
If this is the way you want to approach this discussion, I hope you do realize that the 'rumored' games lineup that you have in mind for 2017 is also purely speculative so far. Nintendo hasn't confirmed anything regarding the games for Switch.

Best to wait for Jan event for Switch before everyone jumps to conclusion regarding the sales performance in 2017.

The hardware will still make a difference for ports but I guess wait and see ;)

random25

Switch may not get those high profile games like Final Fantasy, which will matter on a global scale. But as far as Japan is concerned, Nintendo would be very happy to get those Dragon Quest games for the Switch. After all, FF franchise is already on a decline in terms of relevancy.

duckroll

Well, Artisan seems a CD (music), and the subtitle of Yakuza 6 is Inochi no Uta (Song of Life). So I guess Song and music CD is the relation.

Nah. Tatsuro Yamashita composed the Yakuza 6 ending song.

Edit: Actually it looks like the game has a BUNCH of his songs.

jman2050

The only way the Switch doesn't get the lion's share of sales in Japan is if Japan's traditional gaming industry is truly truly dead for real.

hiska-kun

Media Create Top 50 is up, with Hardware:

&#27231;&#31278; &#36009;&#22770;&#21488;&#25968;
New3DS LL 111,513
PS4 90,140
Vita 57,170
2DS 51,077
New3DS 13,694
PS4 Pro 10,098
Wii U 8,348
PS3 1,234
Xbox One 830
3DS 169
3DS LL 109

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

PS4 reached 4 million LTD
New 3DS 5 million LTD

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As fun as the Wii U ;)

probably worst (looking at Japanese home market trends)

The only way the Switch doesn't get the lion's share of sales in Japan is if Japan's traditional gaming industry is truly truly dead for real.

I believe that IF the Switch will be positioned as a home and it will struggle, Nintendo will still release later on a Switch GO more focused on the portable segment, but I generally agree with you.

If Sony isn't presenting a new portable and Nintendo isnt' presenting something else apart from the Switch, the chart will have just 2 consoles (PS4 and Switch) going ahead, and with the former being not a "HOT" item (looking at PS2, Wii, DS, 3DS and so on...numbers, PS4 ones are GREAT) and the second still to prove to be significant, the MC thread could become...sad.

What has fun is that you manage to overtake SDF with your posts.

January 13 will be crucial for the Japanese landscape. I hope Nintendo will not flop the presentation and the Switch positioning for the Japanese market.

lherre

Accurate
A lot of developers right here in the thread.

Well, one of my questions about all the things said about Switch is why having a lot of "remakes"/"ports" from Wii U/3DS will help to sell consoles. It didn't help for ps4 or xbox one so why would work for Switch?

I mean all the rumored ports (Splatoon, SSB, Pokemon, etc).

The people buy consoles for remakes or old game ports?

A lot of developers right here in the thread.

Well, one of my questions about all the things said about Switch is why having a lot of "remakes"/"ports" from Wii U/3DS will help to sell consoles. It didn't help for ps4 or xbox one so why would work for Switch?

I mean all the rumored ports (Splatoon, SSB, Pokemon, etc).

The people buy consoles for remakes?
I think some of the Nintendo fans are under the illusion that with some of these games and Switch being a portable and console hybrid, it will result in an increased interest in these ports and remakes for Japan. I also think this will mostly apply to games that were never on a handheld e.g Splatoon rather than Smash Bros or Mario Kart.

Personally for me, I am getting Switch and these ports because I never bought a Wii U and 3DS due to region lock shit. It will give me a chance to experience these Nintendo masterpieces.

Calm Mind

If any developer has to port their game to Switch, they will have to optimize it for two different hardware profiles on top of there being PS4Pro and Scorpio.

This is some very pretty asstalk.

random25

Well, to be fair. Famitsu has been undertracking 3DS for the whole year, just take a look at every weekly thread.
So, this week is perfect to make some adjustments.

Most likely this is for correction, though Famitsu still has lower numbers for the 3DS compared to MC by a good amount.

Top Bottom