• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2012 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

zroid

Banned
If Theatrhythm sold out as earlier reports indicated, it's probably destined to do very, very well. 70k is a solid start.

Kazerei

Banned
Bold prediction time:

3DS will hit 6,000,000 before Vita hits 700,000.

Let's break this down.

Code:
     LTD        Target     Diff     Rate     Weeks
3DS  5.026.622  6.000.000  973.378  ~80.000  12
PSV    578.812    700.000  121.188  ~10.000  12

It's hard to predict what the sales rate will be. I just lined up the numbers.

ElFly

Kind of surprised SE hasn't announced another FFTAdvance for 3DS.

Maybe Threathrthynm failing will make them realize the error of their ways.

jman2050

It's still a far cry from the original's LTD (around 1.5M). It may get to half of that when it is all sad and done.

I dunno, given how steady it's been selling up to this point, I could see it still trucking along years down the line.

Vita sales enter into nightmareland, can anyone in Japan explain what is happening?

Things are going how I expected honestly.

Let's break this down.

Code:

The difference is the 3ds actually has games coming out which will keep it selling, vita doesn't

Gaborn

Let's break this down.

Code:

Here's the amazing thing: The Vita is BARELY closer to passing the 360 than the 3DS is to passing the Wii's LTD if this week repeats itself continuously.

Currently the difference between the Wii's sales week and the 3DS's is 86,793 in favor of the 3DS. it would take ~142 weeks for the 3DS to catch up to the Wii at the current rate.

For the Vita, the difference this week with the 360's sales is 11,326. At the current rate it would take the Vita ~137 weeks to pass the 360.

Obviously I think in reality the Vita is going to do it much faster simply because it's a smaller number so even if the Vita picks up a mini boost somewhere it will likely substantially shorten the time. Meanwhile the 3DS is currently having (apparently) a NLP bump. Still puts in perspective the Vita's CURRENT situation.

angelfly

Vita sales enter into nightmareland, can anyone in Japan explain what is happening?

It's obvious that Sony just doesn't have any system sellers in Japan. Their flagship launch title was Uncharted so it's not surprising it's doing as bad as it is. Gravity Daze is the only Vita title I feel bad for. Seems like Sony robbed it of a decent audience by mishandling Vita in Japan.

Kind of surprised SE hasn't announced another FFTAdvance for 3DS.

Maybe Threathrthynm failing will make them realize the error of their ways.

It's already been stated that Theatrhythm has basically sold though it's initial shipment and is currently sold out everywhere.

Here's the amazing thing: The Vita is BARELY closer to passing the 360 than the 3DS is to passing the Wii's LTD if this week repeats itself continuously.

Currently the difference between the Wii's sales week and the 3DS's is 86,793 in favor of the 3DS. it would take ~142 weeks for the 3DS to catch up to the Wii at the current rate.

For the Vita, the difference this week with the 360's sales is 11,326. At the current rate it would take the Vita ~137 weeks to pass the 360.

Obviously I think in reality the Vita is going to do it much faster simply because it's a smaller number so even if the Vita picks up a mini boost somewhere it will likely substantially shorten the time. Meanwhile the 3DS is currently having (apparently) a NLP bump. Still puts in perspective the Vita's CURRENT situation.
But the 3DS will also get regular big bumps from games and holidays. Its pretty even.

There is nothing in the horizon to change Vita's misfortunes in Japan either, I don't see any announced game that will make people want to buy the device over there.

I just noticed that Suikoden is still doing well, hopefully the game continues to sell and we get a US/PAL release even if it's just digital.

Well maybe that's just your opinion mang.. Tthe Vita launch lineup is better than the entire 3DS library right now.

Sorry dark10x, nothing against you personally but your post just came to mind when I read this

Why does this happen every time someone says "no games?" Goodness gracious.

The games for the Vita are not system sellers. They don't move consoles in Japan. Combine that with a high sticker price and you have a recipe for sub-15k sales.

We're not talking about the subjective quality of the launch lineup. This is a SalesAge thread.

If anyone could be bothered, I'd be interested in seeing a graph that charts the LTD sales of the DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita.

Frankie_Baby said:
Assuming vita will average 10k a week is ambitious at the moment

Expecting the 3DS to average 150k is even more ambitious no matter how you look at it. If we turn the Vita average all the way down to 8k/week, the 3DS still has to maintain sales of 120k/week to pull it off. I wouldn't put it in the realm of impossibility, but it is very, very unlikely in my mind.

zroid

Banned
IMO, the Vita's US lineup right now is about as good as the 3DS's was in the US around late October. That is pretty impressive.

Kinvara

The games for the Vita are not system sellers. They don't move consoles in Japan. Combine that with a high sticker price and you have a recipe for sub-15k sales.

We're not talking about the subjective quality of the launch lineup. This is a SalesAge thread.

Does the PSV have system-sellers for NA and Europe?

I don't see anything in the line-up that would move hardware.

That's a good question. Personally, I see some things that will push it forward collectively (Uncharted, Wipeout, Katamari, LBP), but nothing alone. We've never had an Uncharted game on anything but the PS3, so maybe fans of that series would buy a system for the next iteration. Maybe not.

But as far as Japan is concerned, they're pretty indifferent about everything offered. We can point out that the sales for each Vita game are high enough to indicate the people who already bought a Vita are interested in the software, but nothing to push people to get past the new hardware barrier.

angelfly

Uncharted is the only thing I would consider a system seller for NA and EU but the fact that it's a non-ND Uncharted also takes away from that.

Kyoufu

Can't think of anything outside of a Monster Hunter game that could revive Vita right now. SCEWWS has nothing that is a system seller in Japan and God Eater 2 is a PSP (or maybe even moved to 3DS) title. Poor Vita :(

Lausebub

Banned
Is RE:R ever going to outsell IE 3DS? The number for it are really impressive! (IE)

PS: Holy shit at 3DS/Vita and NOOOOO, under 10k for Tekken 3DS. :(((

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Does anyone have the Japanese release schedule for 3DS and Vita? Wikipedia seems to have serious holes in its list.

Top Bottom