• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2012 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

kiri

Not surprised by Binary Domain's figures; it had a strong push over here in Japan, despite not looking all that breath-taking. There just isn't that much coming out console-wise right now and I think BD is revelling a little in that.

I'm looking forward to seeing Theatrhythm's numbers once the second shipment is released. Also morbidly curious to seeing if/how much the New Love Plus figures drop off next week.

jman2050

Uncharted is the only thing I would consider a system seller for NA and EU but the fact that it's a non-ND Uncharted also takes away from that.

Eh, I think Uncharted's status as a system seller is dubious at best on console, much less on handheld.

That is, if we're not talking in relative terms of course.

liger05

I dont know how anyone @ sony can say the Vita and 3DS are not competing for the same audience. 3DS is eating away at the possible Vita marketshare and nintendo are being really aggressive with no let-up in sight. As long as the Wii U doesn’t distract them then 2012 could be brutal for the Vita.

Furoba

I could see Vita start selling by the boatloads in Japan if they get FFX early + remakes of either FFVI or VII. Plus Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Pro Evolution Football, a one piece mussou game,... All of those could be pretty far away.

I could see Vita start selling by the boatloads in Japan if they get FFX early + remakes of either FFVI or VII. Plus Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Pro Evolution Football, a one piece mussou game,... All of those could be pretty far away.

Hahahahahahaha not gonna happen

How many of those are actually announced? Just FFX, right?

liger05

One can wish and hope and then accept reality which says this will not happen.

Metallix87

Most of this stuff is destined for 3DS.

I can see myself having a million dollars if I won the lottery. It's just very unlikely.

Kinvara

That's a good question. Personally, I see some things that will push it forward collectively (Uncharted, Wipeout, Katamari, LBP), but nothing alone. We've never had an Uncharted game on anything but the PS3, so maybe fans of that series would buy a system for the next iteration. Maybe not.

I see the current line-up appealing to PS3 owners and few others.

With strong competition from the 3DS, I don't think Sony can afford to have the PSV to get off to such a slow start.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm sure Vita will get a PES game. So that's two. He just needs to dig out the rest, and the Vita is saved! :)

Honestly, I don't know why they didn't release a PES for Vita yet.
I mean: on Nintendo consoles they usually publish the game in strange calendar periods...

beril

I think the numbers for theathrythm are pretty respectable even without taking the shipments into account or if the talk of shortages turns out to be exaggerated. Apart from Rhythm Heaven, when was the last time a rhythm game did massive numbers in japan? People should have learned not to expect every game with final fantasy in the name to sell gangbusters by now

Taurus

You could replace "Vita" by any other console's name, even X360, and it would work. But that doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

After actually using the Vita and putting it through a lot, it really fucking sucks to see those hardware numbers so low because that device is amazing. Damn that slow market oriented software and relatively high price...

I really don't see the Vita ever overtaking the 3DS now... 'cause damn, the 3DS is a sales behemoth. Hopefully Sony can start pumping some life into the Vita in the next few weeks because it is dangerously close to dropping below 10K sold in a week. I just see the Vita dropping into complete obscurity very quickly in Japan unless the price is cut and sales start picking up. Publishers need an incentive to develop on the platform, but there just isn't a lot of it right now, so I could see in the future publishers wanting to jump development over to the 3DS.

Come on North America and Europe... keep the Vita alive!

But 3DS... wow.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think the numbers for theathrythm are pretty respectable even without taking the shipments into account or if the talk of shortages turns out to be exaggerated. Apart from Rhythm Heaven, when was the last time a rhythm game did massive numbers in japan? People should have learned not to expect every game with final fantasy in the name to sell gangbusters by now

Ouendan?

I can't see either Vita title making an impact, and on the flip side it'll be almost impossible to see what impact if any Harvest Moon will have because Love Plus already gave the 3DS a massive bump

Well one because Reality Fighters is garbage. I'm not really sure how NG will fare, but probably better than most Vita releases. Harvest Moon should also do ok, but not stellar. 3DS won't sustain the massive sales from this week though. Vita may see a slight bump, maybe 2-3k at most, else it ends up sub 10k within the month.

depends on how you define "massive." even just restricting the discussion to DS, the first two taiko installments on DS did 640k and 691k LTD (edit: 90-100k first weeks, for the record)

I have this freakish desire to see the Vita go below 10k. I mean I don't wish it anything bad, but at this point it makes no practical difference if it goes a bit lower and I just kinda wanna see it happen.

We know the IP's and price cut that Nintendo was able to pull if/when they needed to. What does Sony have in its warchest in terms of software, price cut, freebies, whatever that could help push the Vita?

jman2050

Not really. Even with all of that listed, I believe the X360 would still not sell "buttloads" in Japan.

Well that depends. "buttload" is a pretty arbitrary unit of measure, I'm sure that a smart recontextualization of the term could potentially make that statement true under the right circumstances!

I have this freakish desire to see the Vita go below 10k. I mean I don't wish it anything bad, but at this point it makes no practical difference if it goes a bit lower and I just kinda wanna see it happen.

Before launch I would've said the meltdowns would be immense even I would never have imagined it, now everyone on gaf has just accepted it will happen

duckroll

I'm a patient man. Going under 10k means nothing. It wouldn't be shocking or surprising. I'm waiting to see how long it takes for it to go below 1k.

I see the current line-up appealing to PS3 owners and few others.

With strong competition from the 3DS, I don't think Sony can afford to have the PSV to get off to such a slow start.

I agree. But I'm still a little bit cautious on calling the US launch as bad as Japan's, or bad at all. It won't be amazing, but there's still a few factors that I haven't decided yet. The only thing I am 100% sure about is that Vita will not sell on the strength of the hardware alone.

Sony needs to learn to protect its 3rd party hits. Their 1st party studios are releasing solid titles, but none of them can get the critical mass of their major 3rd party games.

So when can I expect the bomba? August? I think I can hold off on buying until then.

Does anyone have any predictions for how well Brain Training 3 will do? I can't recall the exact numbers but didn't Brain Training sell roughly 2.5 million and Brain Training 2 sell roughly 5.5 million. I know some people think that the audience is long gone but I don't think a game that sold 5.5 million can drop massively. I can see it underselling sort of like Nintendogs + Cats but not complete bomba. I don't think it selling at least a million is out of the question.

Taiko drum master games usually sell quite good in Japan IIRC.

Kyoufu

Vita is PS3 all over again, software wise.

Sony should have secured God Eater 2 if they couldn't get Monster Hunter. Are they that out of pocket or are they just out of touch/delusional?

I'm a patient man. Going under 10k means nothing. It wouldn't be shocking or surprising. I'm waiting to see how long it takes for it to go below 1k.

How likely do you think a Dreamcast/total loss scenario is here? Is it at all possible for this system to eventually just fade away from existence? (Not that I'm wishing it would, preemptive flamebait armor)

duckroll

Does anyone have any predictions for how well Brain Training 3 will do? I can't recall the exact numbers but didn't Brain Training sell roughly 2.5 million and Brain Training 2 sell roughly 5.5 million. I know some people think that the audience is long gone but I don't think a game that sold 5.5 million can drop massively. I can see it underselling sort of like Nintendogs + Cats but not complete bomba. I don't think it selling at least a million is out of the question.

It's not Brain Training 3 though. It's a different sort of game for a different purpose. Since we don't know much about it in terms of content, pricing, or release, it's a bit hard to make any sort of assumption. The main target audience for Brain Training wasn't gamers, so it would entirely depend on how appealing this product is in terms of what it offers to them, rather than it being any sort of brand name related to previous titles.

How likely do you think a Dreamcast/total loss scenario is here? Is it at all possible for this system to eventually just fade away from existence? (Not that I'm wishing it would, preemptive flamebait armor)

It's not out of the realms of possibility yet, I do now think though that gamecube sales would be about what vita does

turnbuckle

Goddamn Vita :(
GODDAMN 3DS :)

I'm not too in tune with the Japanese market or release schedule; is there anything that can stem the bleeding for the Vita in the near future?

Brain training will easily outsell Nintendogs - also due to the fact that 3DS's userbase has grown much bigger since - and at least a million should be a given, although it is hardly going to sell nearly as much as DS's iterations.

Top Bottom