• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2016 (Feb 22 - Feb 28)

Hmm.. 3Ds has a great lineup this year, this should boost sales worldwide.

I think SFV 3DS would be great. But, yeah, not gonna happen. Worst selling version? Probably not.

You seriously think a hypothetical 3DS version of the game with the same amount of content would outsell the PS4 or PC version worldwide in 2016? Agree to disagree I guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
https://twitter.com/AkihiroHino/status/706820528711946240

Looks like we're getting a new Inazuma Eleven game announced at Level 5 Vision this year. I'm curious as to what platform. Level 5 was a good early supporter for 3DS, so I wonder if they will hope on board early with NX.

*Looks toward duckroll while suppressing giggling*

Fantasy Life 2 has been quiet, too, I think?
It had a large booth at Jump Festa:

0300095t6-09nuhn.jpg

Aye, they've just been super quiet about it.

What were the general reactions to the initial announcement? Is there any possibility that they're re-purposing it for 3DS at all?
I'm not sure this is an obvious fit for a 3DS game (see below). I'm guessing they're just not saying much like most mobile games prior to release.

Like Grimms Note just hit 8 million downloads as Edge_Maverick pointed out, but was announced a couple weeks before release and we didn't even really see gameplay until it was out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Sega's Hortensia Saga went up to #3 on the top grossing charts today.

Normally I don't note these kinds of aberrations anymore, but I felt it was worth pointing out since they haven't had this kind of chart positioning in years since the heyday of Chain Chronicles.

As the industry makes much, much more money now than it did then, this will probably be the most money a Sega mobile game has ever made in a day.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is right behind it, and given its performance over the last month or two, I think we can say it's pretty much officially surpassed Record Keeper as the best performing mobile Final Fantasy game.

Vena

Normally I don't note these kinds of aberrations anymore, but I felt it was worth pointing out since they haven't had this kind of chart positioning in years since the heyday of Chain Chronicles.

As the industry makes much, much more money now than it did then, this will probably be the most money a Sega mobile game has ever made in a day.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is right behind it, and given its performance over the last month or two, I think we can say it's pretty much officially surpassed Record Keeper as the best performing mobile Final Fantasy game.

That's a notable up-tick for Sega. Does this leave Capcom as the last major publisher to not have a major breakout hit in the mobile sphere? (Not counting Nintendo, and I don't even know how we're going to look at Miitomo when that launches.)

You seriously think a hypothetical 3DS version of the game with the same amount of content would outsell the PS4 or PC version worldwide in 2016? Agree to disagree I guess.

I think it's possible. But, who knows..

SFV would get eclipsed, in its current dilapidated state, by Smash on 3DS. It already gotten eclipsed by MKX. That was the original point I was making on this earlier. Its simply a bad product when compared to contemporaries for the mass market. It would have sold poorly on the 3DS as well, potentially even worse in Japan since Smash is a big casual product and wide demographic appeal, platform really doesn't matter here.

It is all a bit of a meaningless discussion anyway. This is a product brought post-haste to market in order to (a.) match the Capcom ProTour, and (b.) give Sony an eSports title with a powerful brand as they have none and have failed in producing one internally. It does both of these things... whether or not it does them well or in any healthy fashion is yet to be seen concretely.

I don't think L5 knows either which platform should better accomodate Layton 7... Well, probably L5 doesn't even know which type of game Layton 7 is.

hiska-kun

I hope you're ready for the second mutation of Layton 7. Now on Mobile + Wii U eShop, because reasons! ;)

Seriously, will you attend this year? I remember you tried to last year, didn't you?
Maybe you could ask Akihiro Hino why the hell there hasn't been a Professor Layton compilation yet :p

For Yo-kai Watch 3, I was expecting CoroCoro to have the news, but if there's a LV2016, that's where it'll most likely be revealed, yeah.

I attended last year and I will again if they reveal the date before my april schedule is made.

casiopao

Well, Sega Hortensia Saga just reached 4 million download recently so, they are launching a super promotion for gacha where if u pull 30 times, u will get another 10 pulls for free for a character which everyone wanted for(waifuuu.^_^)

Considering i have been following HSaga from the day it launch, i feel the game is slowly but surely going to overtake Chain Chronicle here but Sega would really need to be able attract more new fans here as the game seems to only be appealing to older players who had been following the title for quite some time. As, new player had almost 0% chance to be able to compete with veteran here as veteran will had much much powerful team/guild vs newer player.

Vena

You beat me to it. Now the only question is how well this game will sell overall.

Well, how much did SOIV damage the brand, if at all, and has the fanbase shrunk or generally kept par over the past... 7 years. The franchise saw new installments ever, what, 5-6 years and maintained a pretty healthy sales threshold.

Maniel

Banned
Well, how much did SOIV damage the brand, if at all, and has the fanbase shrunk or generally kept par over the past... 7 years. The franchise saw new installments ever, what, 5-6 years and maintained a pretty healthy sales threshold.
At this point I don't think we can tell if SOIV damaged the brand, but I suspect it did. It's still too early for the preorders to be a reliable indicator though.

Vena

At this point I don't think we can tell if SOIV damaged the brand, but I suspect it did. It's still too early for the preorders to be a reliable indicator.

Dunno. As a fan of the franchise I thought that SOIV was hot garbage (insulting to my intelligence plot and characters), but I'm still going to pick up SOV (big fan of the battle system and mechanics). I have three good experiences to weigh against one, but I can definitely see people being tepid.

I think it will do in line with its predecessors, give or take.

Given that the anime is airing in a daytime slot (and not just any daytime slot, but a prominent spot right next to Detective Conan), I think Capcom is hoping for very big things here.

If the anime is a hit then Apollo Justice levels of sales could be in sight.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/so5/info_page03.html

Star Ocean 5 has been delayed again, but only the PS3 version.

PS4: March 31
PS3: April 28

Perhaps preorders weren't that high and they decided to postpone the PS3 version so at least the other one can achieve some success. After all SQEX primary objective is to create a jRPG fanbase on PS4.

Not so sure about SOIV damages to the franchise though. SO PSP remakes sold well indicating fans were still interested. Low sales might also mean PS4 has yet to gain a substantial and lively jRPG fanbase.

duckroll

Given that the anime is airing in a daytime slot (and not just any daytime slot, but a prominent spot right next to Detective Conan), I think Capcom is hoping for very big things here.

If the anime is a hit then Apollo Justice levels of sales could be in sight.

I sort of feel that for something like AA it doesn't really matter. The franchise is already popular. The reason the anime has a good slot is because it is a mainstream brand in the first place. Same with Monster Hunter Stories.

These are cases of anime production committees leveraging on popular brands hoping for anime success, not the other way round. Capcom enjoys extra publicity and that's useful, but I doubt they are heavily invested in the shows.

Takao

Banned
Not so sure about SOIV damages to the franchise though. SO PSP remakes sold well indicating fans were still interested. Low sales might also mean PS4 has yet to gain a substantial and lively jRPG fanbase.

The PSP re-releases came out before Star Ocean IV. Even if they were after, that's a strange way to look at things since it wasn't Star Ocean IV that got ported to PSP. A person can easily enjoy older entries in a franchise while being skeptical about future ones due to recent releases being shit.

The PSP re-releases came out before Star Ocean IV. Even if they were after, that's a strange way to look at things since it wasn't Star Ocean IV that got ported to PSP. A person can easily enjoy older entries in a franchise while being skeptical about future ones due to recent releases being shit.

You're right, they were released before.

Anyway, you can also look at this way but still there were people invested in the franchise since a few years ago. At this point, though, we might look at similar number for SOV to the International Edition of SOIV released on PS3 which would mean SQEX got wrong in which franchise to re-establish.

noobie

Banned
Perhaps preorders weren't that high and they decided to postpone the PS3 version so at least the other one can achieve some success. After all SQEX primary objective is to create a jRPG fanbase on PS4.

what will be a good number for SO V, FW and LT?

The third Taiko 3DS game has been announced in this week's Famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201603/08100876.html

Clearly this is a direct response to V Version's failure and not a noticeable pattern of releases.

Quite expected, indeed. As I was talking with Chris, the likelihood of this being announced were quite high (I was disagreeing on saying it was 100% bound to happen). Another high-profile release for 3DS, and let's see if it can sell better than the second entry.

what will be a good number for SO V, FW and LT?

In my opinion, >200k units should happen. I'd say a pretty good LTD would be around 300k units.

L~A

So, looks like the PS4 version of Ys VIII was "delayed" (not sure if you can call that a delay, as I'm not sure they even said the two would release together). PSV version out on July 21st.

Guess they're going for double-dippers?

So, looks like the PS4 version of Ys VIII was "delayed" (not sure if you can call that a delay, as I'm not sure they even said the two would release together). PSV version out on July 21st.

Guess they're going for double-dippers?

That's some delay for what should be a fairly simple up-port.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Uhm, are these shortages due to unexpected sales? because it is selling good, but didn't seemed THAT good.
Btw, so far the "race for best 2016 HW" is head to head.

duckroll

Looks like the scoop on "that highly anticipated game" in Famitsu and Dengeki turned out to be the official unveiling of Zero Escape 3 for Japan. :)

Yeah big seller on the hirizon but I think it will also depend on possible price cut and on NX release if it will be a portable in japan

price drop is sure, if they do in the US (last week leaked) they will also do in Japan, but sony could put on the market a revised version.
if NX is portable a 3DS price drop would hurt its sales, so I think it's very unlikely

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yeah big seller on the hirizon but I think it will also depend on possible price cut and on NX release if it will be a portable in japan

3DS was and remains the obvious winner this year. We'll find soon how many untracked 2DS were sold.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
If we don't include 2DS, is a interesting Battle, but 3DS will most likely still win.

So far is selling very similar to last year, even if The New 3DS was released by end of October, and with a strong line up This year should Sell very Close even during The Holidays thanks the pricrop and since NX is most likely not an handhelds.

Keep in mind 3DS sold 2.35 Million last year.

It will definitive Sell Close to 2 Million This year ( withouth 2DS ) and in my opinion PS4 won't even Close to This.

Btw, in my opinion 2DS should be include, so 3DS will easy win by a large margin.

Top Bottom