• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental Health |AT| GAF

So I found out about a week ago that one of my favorite retro video game streamers, Sinatar, took his own life about a month ago.

I legitimately cried that night.

Not going to pretend I know what he was going through, but he contributed so much imo. He helped me decide on purchases and helped me discover older games I never knew about or knew little about.

I honestly miss him and I wish I could have somehow told how much he meant to me in regards to streaming his retro games. I'm sure other people feel this way as well.

Like I said above, I don't know what he was going through but I also can understand why he might have took his life I'd he felt his life was going nowhere (he was an "older" gentleman probably around late 40s or 50s) and he was alone and possibly persecuted.

I can also understand if he saw everything that's happening today and felt defeated and hated. The latter two, defeated and hated, I can especially relate and understand and really don't see a point in continuing on.

I just wish someone, even me, could have been three to tell him how important he was to us.

Edit: for anyone interested, his YouTube channel is here and I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Fenix34

I remove teeth
Hello gaf. I have problem with familiar female. She is behave very emotionally and behave like child. For example if start to talk about actual problem she's stop talking and became angry and nervous.

Phase

Hello gaf. I have problem with familiar female. She is behave very emotionally and behave like child. For example if start to talk about actual problem she's stop talking and became angry and nervous.
Sounds like most females. All you can really do is try to stay calm and discuss the issues with her. If she won't sit down with you to do that she's immature.

Last edited:
Leave her. You can't make a person grow up. Not worth the trouble.

Jesb

Has anyone here cured their anxiety naturally? My life has been flipped upside down. All of a sudden have a anxiety disorder. Tried medication but I felt like I was gonna die every time I took it. Had trouble breathing one night which made me stop the medication. So currently not on any meds but have them if I decide to go back on them but terrified by these meds. Was only on it for 1 week and going through some difficult withdrawals. Brain zaps, bad headaches, ears ringing. A huge problem for me is the medication made disturbing images of suicide pop up. And it’s hard to get these out. I’m not suicidal at all but these images are there. :/

A few months ago, after experiencing a huge amount of weight gain, I switched my antipsychotic for my bipolar to Latuda. It's not generic (in the US) until next year but my insurance covers a lot of it ($60 after insurance, reduced down to $10 with the manufacturer savings card). I can happily say that I think the Latuda is working a lot better than any other one I've been on, my thoughts are so much clearer and I have a huge improvement in my mood. Plus I've kept a stable weight with this one which I like!

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Has anyone here cured their anxiety naturally? My life has been flipped upside down. All of a sudden have a anxiety disorder. Tried medication but I felt like I was gonna die every time I took it. Had trouble breathing one night which made me stop the medication. So currently not on any meds but have them if I decide to go back on them but terrified by these meds. Was only on it for 1 week and going through some difficult withdrawals. Brain zaps, bad headaches, ears ringing. A huge problem for me is the medication made disturbing images of suicide pop up. And it’s hard to get these out. I’m not suicidal at all but these images are there. :/
Do something physical. Yoga, boxing, a martial art, running. This is shown to help with anxiety at a rate comparable to medication.
Chamomile tea is also an herbal product which is not bullshit. Careful when you take it as it can make you drowsy. A mild cup in the morning may help keep you calm for a while, a strong cup or two before bed may help you sleep. I have tried extracts, they don't work for me, only actual tea. Be aware it doesn't taste very good.
Find time to just be with your emotions. Meditation or journaling may help a lot more than you expect.

Anxiety is not just an emotion, but a physical state your body is in. It has nervous and chemical attributes, if you're trying to get ahead of it without pharmaceuticals you likely need to attack it at more than one angle.

Last edited:

Fenix34

I remove teeth
Hello guys. How deal with her?
There is problem. I need to sell my part of flat and for those i need her agreement. She's against of this. For me it's need for relocation

BigBooper

Hello guys. How deal with her?
There is problem. I need to sell my part of flat and for those i need her agreement. She's against of this. For me it's need for relocation
Convince her to sell her half or buy your half, or talk to a lawyer.

If medication is doing this to you, inform your doctor and stop taking it. You need to keep yourself busy at all times with positive and constructive things. Exercice, work on passion projects if you have them, go jogging, take walks under the sun, do some outdoors activity like surfing, read self-developmen books, meet with friends, talk to people, engage in community activities, seek a better job.

Don't stay at home for too long. I have a friend who has been suffering from anxiety attacks for a long time because he refuses to go outside and get a life.

I don't know if you're religious but if so I would advise reading the Bible and praying.

Rossco EZ

probably not the best place to ask for advice on the matter but my social anxiety has been getting worse and worse over the past few years. completely isolated myself to the point i have no friends now, only leave the house to go to work but even the job i do currently i won’t be able to do forever (work with a family member who is getting out the line of work and i don’t want to stay in it anyway as i don’t earn much). any ideas of jobs that i don’t have to deal with many people? i’ve thought about jobs like amazon warehouse as i’ve heard you are just left alone to do the job with barely any interaction. also thought of online work maybe just working live/web chats for companies but they all require previous work or for me to go to remote sites.
anyone else have social anxiety and what type of jobs do you do?

probably not the best place to ask for advice on the matter but my social anxiety has been getting worse and worse over the past few years. completely isolated myself to the point i have no friends now, only leave the house to go to work but even the job i do currently i won’t be able to do forever (work with a family member who is getting out the line of work and i don’t want to stay in it anyway as i don’t earn much). any ideas of jobs that i don’t have to deal with many people? i’ve thought about jobs like amazon warehouse as i’ve heard you are just left alone to do the job with barely any interaction. also thought of online work maybe just working live/web chats for companies but they all require previous work or for me to go to remote sites.

I work for Anthem, one of the largest insurance companies in the US. We're all work at home right now but everyone is really nice and understanding. I was able to get it because my dad worked for Anthem at the time and was able to reccomend me for a position at the company. He retired in February after 30+ years at the company.

Any sort of basic office job with a good HR department helps with me since I'm just afraid of people being jackasses, so knowing there's someone I can talk to helps. I do data entry which probably is easily hirable.

bootaski

Hey everyone, I'm happy to be on this forum. 42 years old, diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder in 2003. Before then I suffered from anxiety spectrum disorders. Gaming as a hobby is a big focus of my life as I cannot hold a job due to my condition. Currently seeing a great therapist I can relate to, and an understanding psychiatric nurse for my meds. Stable on a low dose of zyprexa; recently titrated off of klonopin, which was no small feat. Have had good results with the ideas and life philosophy of Tony Robbins; I also like buddhism, existentialism and transcendental idealism.

Might sound like a weird question, but has anyone here ever heard voices?
Reason I ask is a friend of mine had a mental breakdown due to lack of sleep over a couple of months. He had a meltdown and ended up in a mental health ward.
He told me that he heard his dead father talking to him, and he said that it was like he was there with him. Like it was as clear and as loud as me talking to him.
It was kinda weird to think about that. I always assumed it would be like whispering etc.
The thought of it is quite terrifying.

bootaski

Might sound like a weird question, but has anyone here ever heard voices?
Reason I ask is a friend of mine had a mental breakdown due to lack of sleep over a couple of months. He had a meltdown and ended up in a mental health ward.
He told me that he heard his dead father talking to him, and he said that it was like he was there with him. Like it was as clear and as loud as me talking to him.
It was kinda weird to think about that. I always assumed it would be like whispering etc.
The thought of it is quite terrifying.

Hearing voices(auditory hallucinations) is a common symptom of schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Personally, I've had voices before on occasion, but it's not my main symptom. Normal people can experience voices under certain conditions, the most common situation for this to happen is when they are falling asleep. Hallucinations as experienced by people with schizophrenia can be practically indistinguishable from real perceptions; hallucinations and delusions can also be more intense or "real" than normal perceptions.

My first psychotic break happened when I was extremely sleep deprived; it was incredibly painful and as you said, terrifying. It was worse than any nightmare I ever had - I heard a soldier talk about ptsd while serving in Afghanistan once on 60 Minutes, and his description fit how I felt when I was first hospitalized. He said it's like the normal world is pulled away like curtains, and you see true reality underneath.

Luckily, I have a support system in place, and a place to retreat to when things get difficult. Having schizoaffective is tragic, but it wasn't all bad - it forced me to become positive, to look on the bright side; having a new problem isn't scary to me anymore, because it's happened so many times.

I hope your friend is doing well; he might not have schizophrenia, and if he does, there is like a 25% chance he will fully recover, too.

Pakoe

How long was the period between discovering you had an anxiety disorder and being on medication?

Around the end of 2019 I started getting random panic attacks and during the summer of 2021 it resulted a burnout. During all this I never used any medication. I started suffering from the insomnia and my doctor told me he could prescribe sleeping pills but I hated the idea of it. I knew it wouldn't fix the situation.
Around the same time I found a therapist who helped me immensely. The problem ended up being my past. Too much shit happened which i had just pushed to the side and after a while it all came back resulting in my burnout.
Of course the situation can differ, but it can be done.

I wish you the best.

Hearing voices(auditory hallucinations) is a common symptom of schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Personally, I've had voices before on occasion, but it's not my main symptom. Normal people can experience voices under certain conditions, the most common situation for this to happen is when they are falling asleep. Hallucinations as experienced by people with schizophrenia can be practically indistinguishable from real perceptions; hallucinations and delusions can also be more intense or "real" than normal perceptions.

My first psychotic break happened when I was extremely sleep deprived; it was incredibly painful and as you said, terrifying. It was worse than any nightmare I ever had - I heard a soldier talk about ptsd while serving in Afghanistan once on 60 Minutes, and his description fit how I felt when I was first hospitalized. He said it's like the normal world is pulled away like curtains, and you see true reality underneath.

Luckily, I have a support system in place, and a place to retreat to when things get difficult. Having schizoaffective is tragic, but it wasn't all bad - it forced me to become positive, to look on the bright side; having a new problem isn't scary to me anymore, because it's happened so many times.

I hope your friend is doing well; he might not have schizophrenia, and if he does, there is like a 25% chance he will fully recover, too.
Cheers for that.
I was just struck that he said his father's voice was as life like and as clear as it can be. I couldn't imagine that.

Jesb

Guys I don’t know what happened but I don’t have any problems whatsoever now. Not sure if it was anxiety or Extremely bad Covid case but I have nothing now. I made changes to my diet and went against what doctors told me to do. After a week on meds I stopped taking them and I think that saved my life. It’s been a miracle.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Guys I don’t know what happened but I don’t have any problems whatsoever now. Not sure if it was anxiety or Extremely bad Covid case but I have nothing now. I made changes to my diet and went against what doctors told me to do. After a week on meds I stopped taking them and I think that saved my life. It’s been a miracle.
Scrolled up a bit before this post to see what this was in regards to. So, 1. My wife had a full nervous breakdown when she had Covid, so if you had it, I'd say it's possible. 2. The issues you described are similar to what I began to experience about two or three years ago. I thought at first I had some type of anxiety disorder. After about a year with my general doctor, trying various medications, he sent me to a neurologist who sent for an MRI. Turns out, I have an astrocytoma in the left frontal lobe of my brain. I say, if you have this issue reoccur, you may want to consider such a possibility and act accordingly.

-Minsc-

My advice is to gradually learn to overcome your social anxiety. No need to expect to be a social butterfly but learning to be more sociable is a great thing to work toward. Every conversation a person has helps.

There's a saying something along the likes of "in order to be more personable one has to stop taking things so personally".

My place just got robbed again after being robbed 2 months ago where a $3,000 electric scooter of my dad's was stolen.

I also might have completely screwed up helping somebody sell their home and screwing myself out of about possibly $1,000 all because my phone did not tell me I received a text message on Thursday. It's very likely the person found another place and they were willing to put down a deposit right away on the house I was going to help sell.

I feel like putting a bullet right through my fucking head right now.

Kev Kev

there is massive shift in my life happening on july 1 (friday), and ill skip the why and how and just get to the point: my anxiety is probably going to pique, and i can feel it starting right now.

anyone have anything they like to do to help calm down? i like to take a hot sower, maybe listen to a podcast while im in there, then smoke a little bud and watch TV or play a game. playing guitar, writing, painting and drawing are also good go-tos.

exercise and running, or even jsut a walk is also good, but im not sure i want to leave my apartment today unless absolutely necessary. any go-tos yall have to help not freak out?

The Fartist

Gold Member
there is massive shift in my life happening on july 1 (friday), and ill skip the why and how and just get to the point: my anxiety is probably going to pique, and i can feel it starting right now.

anyone have anything they like to do to help calm down? i like to take a hot sower, maybe listen to a podcast while im in there, then smoke a little bud and watch TV or play a game. playing guitar, writing, painting and drawing are also good go-tos.

exercise and running, or even jsut a walk is also good, but im not sure i want to leave my apartment today unless absolutely necessary. any go-tos yall have to help not freak out?
Dude, I'm telling you, stop what you're doing right now. YouTube search Kundalini breath exercise, take your pick and do it, commit to it, worse thing that can happen is it won't work, but just try as hard as you can.

If you stay at home you’re going to freak out. Try to go outdoors as much as you can, sunlight alone gives you vitamin D which improves your mood. If possible, go to the gym, and meet with a friend. Otherwise, everything you mentioned from playing guitar to the rest is good.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Dude, I'm telling you, stop what you're doing right now. YouTube search Kundalini breath exercise, take your pick and do it, commit to it, worse thing that can happen is it won't work, but just try as hard as you can.
If you stay at home you’re going to freak out. Try to go outdoors as much as you can, sunlight alone gives you vitamin D which improves your mood. If possible, go to the gym, and meet with a friend. Otherwise, everything you mentioned from playing guitar to the rest is good.
thanks guys. i did both of those things and they helped a lot. now i just gotta make it thorugh the next week and then ill be able to get back into a good routine. i think its time for me to start getting back to the gym regularly. my mental health is always at its best when im healhty and in shape, and have a good daily/weekly routine.

bootaski

I have schizoaffective disorder. I've been lowering my antipsychotic on a gradual tapering schedule by myself after years on a moderate daily dose after my psychiatric nurse retired. Getting off zyprexa is notoriously difficult because your brain becomes dependent on it, especially for sleep.

Got over the main withdrawal side effect which is insomnia, but am unexpectedly experiencing some problems with delusions of reference, spiritual possession, thoughts influencing the outside world, telepathy.

The most difficult one is the experience of two or more spirits having a conversation in my body - somebody "inside" the left side of my body will argue with another person inside the right, usually concerning the effect I have on the minds/souls of other people.

That may have been TMI, but I'm trying to find a medication free solution. I'm not convinced of any positive effect of the meds for me personally and they have serious side effects with prolonged use.

Any suggestions? I'm not a Christian anymore so no praying or church or anything like that.

GeekyDad

I have schizoaffective disorder. I've been lowering my antipsychotic on a gradual tapering schedule by myself after years on a moderate daily dose after my psychiatric nurse retired. Getting off zyprexa is notoriously difficult because your brain becomes dependent on it, especially for sleep.

Got over the main withdrawal side effect which is insomnia, but am unexpectedly experiencing some problems with delusions of reference, spiritual possession, thoughts influencing the outside world, telepathy.

The most difficult one is the experience of two or more spirits having a conversation in my body - somebody "inside" the left side of my body will argue with another person inside the right, usually concerning the effect I have on the minds/souls of other people.

That may have been TMI, but I'm trying to find a medication free solution. I'm not convinced of any positive effect of the meds for me personally and they have serious side effects with prolonged use.

Any suggestions? I'm not a Christian anymore so no praying or church or anything like that.
What is your living situation (Do you work, if so, what do you do? Do you live alone? In a rural area? Etc.)?

GeekyDad

Living situation is fine, no problems there - I can just focus on recovery.
Hard to offer feedback, though, without knowing those things. If you work, and what type of work would likely factor into options to be considered, as would living alone or with someone else, where you live, etc.

bootaski

Not working atm, live with my family, finances are not an issue. No friends in the area, which is a university town. I want to find friends, but it's hard to feel comfortable enough to make real connections due to the problems I described.

Mistake

Probably not the best place for this, but I’ll post it anyway.

I’ve been seeing this girl since august. She insisted we’re more of a fwb at first, but she increasingly does stuff that suggests otherwise, like talking about personal issues, hanging on my arm, or cuddling me. I like her and all, but I don’t want to get emotionally invested where I shouldn’t be. I asked her about all this recently, and she only said “I’d like things to stay the same.” What the heck is going on?

I should add that she has some serious stuff in her life atm, but plans on leaving in 6 months after changing jobs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Probably not the best place for this, but I’ll post it anyway.

I’ve been seeing this girl since august. She insisted we’re more of a fwb at first, but she increasingly does stuff that suggests otherwise, like talking about personal issues, hanging on my arm, or cuddling me. I like her and all, but I don’t want to get emotionally invested where I shouldn’t be. I asked her about all this recently, and she only said “I’d like things to stay the same.” What the heck is going on?

I should add that she has some serious stuff in her life atm, but plans on leaving in 6 months after changing jobs.
You need to drop her like a rock and fast. If you don’t want something serious then get out of it asap. That type of stuff will mess with your head and it’s not worth what will happen 6 months from now.

Mistake

You need to drop her like a rock and fast. If you don’t want something serious then get out of it asap. That type of stuff will mess with your head and it’s not worth what will happen 6 months from now.
I would like something serious with her, but I can’t get a clear answer in my direction, at least not verbally. I probably should as soon as something else comes along.

I don’t know what it is with my relationships. Last one didn’t want to fully commit either, and we were together for 3 years

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would like something serious with her, but I can’t get a clear answer in my direction, at least not verbally. I probably should as soon as something else comes along.

I don’t know what it is with my relationships. Last one didn’t want to fully commit either, and we were together for 3 years
It sounds to me like she will split when she feels like it and hurt you. You’ll get attached and it’ll hurt even more when she leaves. I’d say you’re playing a dangerous game if you stick with her. Maybe if you call it quits now she will be forced to either make up her mind or live without you. Create some barriers for yourself. I never did that when I dated years and years ago. Now that I’m married, it’s vital to the relationship. You’ve got to respect yourself. She’s also leaving, so there’s no sense in going further if she’s going to leave you.

Mistake

It sounds to me like she will split when she feels like it and hurt you. You’ll get attached and it’ll hurt even more when she leaves. I’d say you’re playing a dangerous game if you stick with her. Maybe if you call it quits now she will be forced to either make up her mind or live without you. Create some barriers for yourself. I never did that when I dated years and years ago. Now that I’m married, it’s vital to the relationship. You’ve got to respect yourself. She’s also leaving, so there’s no sense in going further if she’s going to leave you.
I’ll give an ultimatum when the time is right. Her best friend is going through surgery and chemo, so I don’t want to make a mess just yet. She isn’t a bad person or anything

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ll give an ultimatum when the time is right. Her best friend is going through surgery and chemo, so I don’t want to make a mess just yet. She isn’t a bad person or anything
Good idea. Sometimes I feel like women are harsher with their so called “ice breakers” than men are. Being a better person is probably for the best.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia a while ago. I am always second guessing my feelings and action because of it... I sure have pulled some stupid stunts... but now I am more aware...

I completely agree that I have suffered from psychosis in the past (I did not always realize this) and sought treatment... I got a lot better and have been holding a steady job for 3 years now.

Social life and life in general is going bad right now; I keep on getting physically sick(Heart failure, gastritis, neuropathy just this past year) and taking time out of work. If feel like I am on the brink of a mental health relapse.

I am trying to stay sober as well after like 6 months of smoking a lot weed daily to help with the constant nerve pain...

I am trying to be more social, actually speak on GAF and reach out to old friends on social media but I am not sure if it is a sign of me breaking down.

Just saw the thread and thought I should say something...

I also work in mental health... I am a glorified landlord at an agency for people with mental health issues... we provide them with cheap housing... I went there to get help with food and housing and they gave me a job instead and some dignity which I am very grateful for.

bootaski

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia a while ago. I am always second guessing my feelings and action because of it... I sure have pulled some stupid stunts... but now I am more aware...

I completely agree that I have suffered from psychosis in the past (I did not always realize this) and sought treatment... I got a lot better and have been holding a steady job for 3 years now.

Social life and life in general is going bad right now; I keep on getting physically sick(Heart failure, gastritis, neuropathy just this past year) and taking time out of work. If feel like I am on the brink of a mental health relapse.

I am trying to stay sober as well after like 6 months of smoking a lot weed daily to help with the constant nerve pain...

I am trying to be more social, actually speak on GAF and reach out to old friends on social media but I am not sure if it is a sign of me breaking down.

Just saw the thread and thought I should say something...

I also work in mental health... I am a glorified landlord at an agency for people with mental health issues... we provide them with cheap housing... I went there to get help with food and housing and they gave me a job instead and some dignity which I am very grateful for.

I also have digestive issues due to zyprexa that I hope will resolve themselves as I taper off.

I also have digestive issues due to zyprexa that I hope will resolve themselves as I taper off.
I had to stop all medication because I would get stomach issues every time I restarted taking them and I have no idea which one is causing the issue

Its terrible because I'm scared to take my heart medication as well as anti-psychotic and Gabapentin for nerve pain.

bootaski

I had to stop all medication because I would get stomach issues every time I restarted taking them and I have no idea which one is causing the issue

Its terrible because I'm scared to take my heart medication as well as anti-psychotic and Gabapentin for nerve pain.

Can you get a doctor's opinion about the heart medication?

Can you get a doctor's opinion about the heart medication?
I really should; I missed my cardiology appointment because I was hospitalized for gastritis when I was supposed to go.

If I mention I don't take my medication for whatever reason I can get into trouble they say "Patient is non-compliant"... so stopping everything is just between me and GAF; I have not told my family but they probably know.

The heart doctor would be furious if I told him that.

bootaski

I really should; I missed my cardiology appointment because I was hospitalized for gastritis when I was supposed to go.

If I mention I don't take my medication for whatever reason I can get into trouble they say "Patient is non-compliant"... so stopping everything is just between me and GAF; I have not told my family but they probably know.

The heart doctor would be furious if I told him that.

The neuropathy thing I'm familiar with because I had some myself when on a higher dose of zyprexa. For me, the benefits of the psychiatric drugs were definitely not clear - I had just bought into what the psychiatrists kept telling me. They had a lot of bad side effects.

I don't know about the heart medication, though. Whatever you decide to do, be shrewd and think about it...

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm trying Stoicism, seems to me like something that can be applied to many facets of life. I am going to try and do it. just see how it goes.

Last edited:
I don’t really know what’s going on with me right now. I feel like I am on the verge of dissociating or breaking. Which is depressing since it’s been some while since that’s happened. But I feel it creeping up on me. Idk. I’ve just had a rough start to this year and I’m desperately trying to figure out a way to reset myself. I just let the relative calmness of the last few years lull me into a sense of complacency I guess and I just stopped managing my stressors the way I should have been. Just have to get focused.

Last edited:
I don’t really know what’s going on with me right now. I feel like I am on the verge of dissociating or breaking. Which is depressing since it’s been some while since that’s happened. But I feel it creeping up on me. Idk. I’ve just had a rough start to this year and I’m desperately trying to figure out a way to reset myself. I just let the relative calmness of the last few years lull me into a sense of complacency I guess and I just stopped managing my stressors the way I should have been. Just have to get focused.
When it creeps up, that's the worst. I hope you're doing better since you posted

Top Bottom