• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

Wonko_C

So i've ordered the Meta Quest 3 and i've returned Meta Quest 2 because it was all blurry and shit.
I hope the Meta Quest 3 will be better.
Did you plug it into your PC or used it standalone only? Quest games often display at a resolution that is way lower than the headset's native resolution. On PC all cranked up my Quest 2 looks very crisp.

amigastar

Did you plug it into your PC or used it standalone only? Quest games often display at a resolution that is way lower than the headset's native resolution. On PC all cranked up my Quest 2 looks very crisp.
I disabled Motion Blur in the games setting (DCS World) and its much better now. I have it plugged into my PC.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Black Friday meta store is live!!
Apparently you just get a code to use and get up to 40% off
Note steam autumn sale is also on tomorrow, so be sure to think about what you want on which platform

Hot5pur

Not the most amazing sale, but anyway, a few things I'm contemplating:
Broke Edge - seems like a really good fighting game, better on the Quest since it's multiplayer and will reduce latency that way rather than going PCVR route
Resident Evil 4 - Not available anywhere else, seems it's very good. I did play the original once and it was pretty decent
Pistol whip - basic graphics so nicer to have on the go, also maybe latency since it's fairly fast paced
Walkabout minigolf - same as above (can you play this game with a bunch of people by passing the headset around?)
Dungeons of eternity - not sure, probably won't get it, mostly because I think they will do a PC port relatively soon, but since it is online maybe latency would be an issue with streaming from PC, dunno

What are you guys looking at?

Resenge

Not the most amazing sale, but anyway, a few things I'm contemplating:
Broke Edge - seems like a really good fighting game, better on the Quest since it's multiplayer and will reduce latency that way rather than going PCVR route
Resident Evil 4 - Not available anywhere else, seems it's very good. I did play the original once and it was pretty decent
Pistol whip - basic graphics so nicer to have on the go, also maybe latency since it's fairly fast paced
Walkabout minigolf - same as above (can you play this game with a bunch of people by passing the headset around?)
Dungeons of eternity - not sure, probably won't get it, mostly because I think they will do a PC port relatively soon, but since it is online maybe latency would be an issue with streaming from PC, dunno

What are you guys looking at?
Highly recommend Resident Evil 4, In fact all the official Resident evil VR ports are some of the best VR experiences I have ever had.

Wonko_C

I pre-ordered Asgard's Wrath 2 but now after seeing there is a Black Friday Sale for several titles in the Quest Store I'm kind of regretting it. If I already played a few hours of AW1 would I still be able to cancel my preorder? And if so would that remove AW1 from my account? I kind of want to use those $60 instead to buy a bunch of discounted games, then buy AW2 later in 2024 when it gets a price drop.

Hot5pur

I pre-ordered Asgard's Wrath 2 but now after seeing there is a Black Friday Sale for several titles in the Quest Store I'm kind of regretting it. If I already played a few hours of AW1 would I still be able to cancel my preorder? And if so would that remove AW1 from my account? I kind of want to use those $60 instead to buy a bunch of discounted games, then buy AW2 later in 2024 when it gets a price drop.
I think only support would be able to answer that one. I'd imagine you could still cancel the pre order but also likely lose any bonuses associated with it.

Hot5pur

Alright, a bit of a PSA for some decent games that are worth picking up available at a good price. I recommend fast paced games with online components that have simple graphics to be kept on standalone, and things that have major graphical benefits to use PCVR.
Hopefully Quest/Steam sales are widespread enough that it applies to more than just US.

Steam: (many or all of these are on quest standalone)
Barbaria - base building and action slasher, similar to clash of clans, build your domain and invade other people's domain
Mothergunship: Forge - rogue lite wave shooter with ability to build and customize crazy guns
Until you fall - hack and slash arcade action rogue lite
Wizards dark times - spellcasting with cool gestures, campaign, and new co-op and graphical overhaul coming soon
Sairento - acrobatic hack and slash shooter, older game from makers of Hellsweeper

Quest store: (make sure to use 40%off BF coupon were applicable)
Broken Edge
- fairly innovative dueling game with several interesting classes (also on Steam) [Use code BFCM23]
Lies Beneath - survivor horror action, very highly rated (Quest/Link)
Resist - spiderman-like swinging action (also on Steam)
Virtual desktop - for streaming from PC [Use code BFCM23]

If any of this is motivating a Quest purchase, here's a referral ($30 credit):

Last edited:

Romulus

Been playing Titanfall 2 in vorpx, this is basically VR with a controller. My God does it feel incredible with the size of these mechs.
Got fallout 3, far cry primal, and halo ce working too. So fucking awesome.

Be warned, the setup can be a bitch and vorpx is $40, but if you can tolerate that, you can basically play dozens of AAA games in VR with a gamepad or mouse kb.

Totally worth it to me. Off to setup Alien vs predator 2010 now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Been playing Titanfall 2 in vorpx, this is basically VR with a controller. My God does it feel incredible with the size of these mechs.

Be warned, the setup can be a bitch and vorpx is $40, but if you can tolerate that, you can basically play dozens of AAA games in VR with a gamepad or mouse kb.

I keep hearing that there's Praydog mod to play Unreal Engine games. Not sure it's ready yet.

Hot5pur

That does sound cool. I should try it sometime though I'm partial to made for VR experiences.

I hope when praydog releases their UEVR mod that supports 6dof on UE4/5 games it will give PC VR a much needed injection of energy.

Got the Virtual Desktop to work wirelessly!
I tried moving the router but in so doing I unplugged it and ended up resetting it.
After getting it back up and going I tried virtual desktop and Half Life Alyx and IT WORKS!
HA"HAHAHAA!
My GTX 1080ti and netgear ac router work!
Tried a few min of Asguards Wrath 1 killing the kracken.
IT WORKS! Wirelessly!
I'm a kid in a candy store with moms credit card!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That assassins creed gage is almost fun. The controls are a little too unstable with like lifting yourself up and what not. It supports sitting but it’s almost unplayable sitting down.

Hot5pur

Last night I tried demos for Until you Fall and Mothergunship: Forge on standalone....and even on the Quest 3 the resolution is kinda yikes.
They should really have built-in settings to boost resolution at the cost of battery life (like what the quest game optimizer does). I wonder why more devs don't put that in.
For now it confirmed that I should try to get most stuff on PC (though enough stuff looks pretty decent on Q3 like Eleven and Thrill of the Fight).
I think not having more companies lined up with tangible Q3 updates for its release was a huge oversight by Meta.
Luckily when Q2 is phased out the "Lite" version of Q3 will be on the same chip so hopefully the graphics will take a significant boost so that many games would be equally viable on PC and Quest.

Hot5pur

Also grabbed Dungeons of Eternity, though with hesitation and I generally don't get half decent looking games on standalone, but I was pleasantly surprised.
It was definitely good enough, could maybe use a bit more of a resolution bump but overall quite impressive for a mobile device.
Game is a lot of fun and feels very polished for what's there. Once I get a better hang of it will jump into multiplayer with randoms. Do we have a GAF discord for VR stuff? Would be good to find some people to play with occasionally on here.

Picked up Arizona Sunshine and all its expansions on Steam for $12.
PCVR zombie shooter.
One of the zombies crawled over a car blockade and startled the hell out of me. My first VR jump scare. Good times.

Hot5pur

Picked up Arizona Sunshine and all its expansions on Steam for $12.
PCVR zombie shooter.
One of the zombies crawled over a car blockade and startled the hell out of me. My first VR jump scare. Good times.
I think the sequel is coming out in like a week.
Also seems saints and sinners is the zombie game to get. If you missed it during the steam sale it can still be had for a decent deal (LINK).

Got a FFB wheel (Logitech 920, usually on sale for like $200) and booted up dirt rally 2.0 in VR.
Absolutely a different experience, and blows away playing on a 42" oled monitor.
HOWEVER, I had some pretty horrendous motion sickness. Had to lie down for a good half hour and I still don't feel that well a few hours later (granted I did also play Eleven afterwards).
Surviving a rally racing game is the ultimate test of your VR legs it seems (I can do full locomotion games fairly well at this point).
When your car flips over it's just madness, and you literally "feel" the centripetal force on turns somehow....I don't know, the body-mind connection is weird sometimes.
HIGHLY recommend looking into SIM racing, seems it's a perfect fit for VR. If you want a more typical racing game try Automobilista 2 (first choice) and Assetto Corsa + mods (second choice, mods are somewhat cumbersome but seem important for a good visual experience).

That of course led me down another rabbit hole of flying games. So I got a basic joystick (the logitech extreme 3D pro for like $30), and a few games: SW: Squadrons, Project Wingman and Overload. Aircraft simulation is too much I think (driving is already hard enough), so I stuck to arcade games.
Going to test that out soon. I don't know, sometimes I worry this honeymoon period will pass but honestly I think it's the next step for certain types of games, I can't seem myself going back to flatscreen for FPS or racing. You can probably throw first person RPGs in there as well.

Long post, but just wanted to give people a heads up, when I use the Quest 3 too much in very physical games, it seems it can get somewhat warm (also due to me sweating/being hot) and then it doesn't like to charge, so even if you are connected to a battery pack or want to charge it right after the orange light won't go on.
Kinda freaked me out but after it cooled down, things seem to be fine now. Will keep an eye on it (it's my baby), hopefully it's normal behavior.
In this regard I tried getting the AMVR facial interface for Q3 with vents, will see if that helps...

Long post, but just wanted to give people a heads up, when I use the Quest 3 too much in very physical games, it seems it can get somewhat warm (also due to me sweating/being hot) and then it doesn't like to charge, so even if you are connected to a battery pack or want to charge it right after the orange light won't go on.
Kinda freaked me out but after it cooled down, things seem to be fine now. Will keep an eye on it (it's my baby), hopefully it's normal behavior.
In this regard I tried getting the AMVR facial interface for Q3 with vents, will see if that helps...
I bought the silicon face mask and it starts out comfortable but gets irritating faster when it gets hot and sweaty. I like that it cleans off easy and fast.
My quest 3 seems to run warm doing anything. I like watching the animation player with the short stories. Night Mara was a fun show like watching a diarama from weird angles. Just sitting there watching these shorts the headset fan will rev up and things get warm.
Ive had a couple of lockups while connected to pcvr, when that happens just hold down the power button for a really long uncomfortable worry till it reboots.

Here's a link for 2️⃣5️⃣% off loads of top games including

Assassin's Creed Nexus
Into the radius
Powerwash Simulator
Breachers
Dungeons of eternity
Eleven table tennis
Beat saber
Contractors
Walking Dead
Synthriders
Walkabout mini golf
Real fishing
Les Mills body combat
And more 😎👌

MarkMe2525

I'm having a weird bug with my meta quest app and store.

I can no longer see referral prices. If I click referral it says I'm claiming rhe 25% but the price doesn't change from full price. I can't see games that are on sale prices either.

Any ideas? Any one else experienced this?
Are you experiencing this still? I have issues with games on sale as well. I have had games show me full price when they are in sale for others. One more question, are your banner advertisements in the store actual games or did it show you generic white banners that say things such as "better on quest 3", "discover mixed reality" "hands only games"? I have been going through this since mid October

Edit: also, here is that discount link!! www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are you experiencing this still? I have issues with games on sale as well. I have had games show me full price when they are in sale for others. One more question, are your banner advertisements in the store actual games or did it show you generic white banners that say things such as "better on quest 3", "discover mixed reality" "hands only games"? I have been going through this since mid October

Edit: also, here is that discount link!! www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Mine seems to have fixed itself. I'll take another look today.

Thanks for the links too, man!

MarkMe2525

Mine seems to have fixed itself. I'll take another look today.

Thanks for the links too, man!
No shit, for the first time in over a month, my store is working correctly. I have been teased before and it stopped shortly after so I won't hold my breath, but hopefully the saga I have been going through with customer support is over.

The one good thing that came out of this is they have issued me $80 total in store credits for my troubles 😁 They just bought me paradiddle and a few other games.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

As someone who never enjoyed racing on flatscreen, VR is just something else entirely. Much less frustrating and intuitive to learn and fun. Spent like an hour on a single track just racing around my myself lol. Seems the best games to get for PCVR are Automobilista 2 and Dirt Rally 2, though I got quite sick with the latter so needs time to adjust. The standard Logitech wheels are more than sufficient for beginners ($200 or so on sale). Really recommend giving it a go if you've never tried. Don't play without a wheel kind pointless.

Wonko_C

As someone who never enjoyed racing on flatscreen, VR is just something else entirely. Much less frustrating and intuitive to learn and fun. Spent like an hour on a single track just racing around my myself lol. Seems the best games to get for PCVR are Automobilista 2 and Dirt Rally 2, though I got quite sick with the latter so needs time to adjust. The standard Logitech wheels are more than sufficient for beginners ($200 or so on sale). Really recommend giving it a go if you've never tried. Don't play without a wheel kind pointless.
While racing sims in VR are awesome, there is a distinct lack of arcade racers. I wish I could play Forza Horizon 5, for example.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

While racing sims in VR are awesome, there is a distinct lack of arcade racers. I wish I could play Forza Horizon 5, for example.
What you are looking for is Project Cars 3.
They really screwed up by calling it pc3. The reality was it was a spiritual successor to NFS shift. Some steam reviews liken it to the NFS games of the 1990s.

The problem is Codemasters bought Slightly Mad Studios (pcars dev) and then Codemasters were bought by EA. EA killed the franchise because PC3 was a disaster as it was destroyed by its sim oriented fan base. Pcars 1 and 2 were delisted. pCARS 3 was initially published by bandai namco but might be owned by EA now and they kinda dont care about the game. It may be delisted soon as well.

The sad part is the game would go on like $15 sales before but it has been sitting in the steam store for $60 for a year now with no activity whatsoever. That's probably a bit steep, but you can try and refund it if it's not quite what you're looking for. It does have competent VR and wheel support, and an OK career mode (shorter races, unlocks, XP, etc)

Tangerine

Quest 3 is my first foray into VR unless you count Nintendo labo VR.

So I've had it a good few days now and bought 4 or 5 games.

Superhot, beat saber, moss 1 and 2, thumper, pistol whip and no more rainbows

It's incredibly immersive and I really feel like I'm in the 3D space. The 3D is great.

The tracking of the controllers or guns in pistol whip is spot on, as is looking all around with the headset.

It feels like your holding the guns almost. Lots of tricking of the senses going on. I guess that's what can cause nausea etc.
I get a headache after 30 mins and need a 5 minute break but it's still worth it. It could be because I need glasses.
I also noticed no difference when I change the is called IPO? The dial... Is that normal?

Looking down at the mouse in moss running around, craining my head to look around corners. The massive tall tree silhouettes reaching sky high. You lose yourself in the world.

I'm definitely blown away so far. The future is here? I'm sure many have gushed over VR like me, if it's all new. I thought Nintendo labo VR was great at the time 😂

When it's life-like graphics in 10-20 years time, it's going to be insane.

Well it's already incredible tech today, but you know, can't help but look forward!

I got the larger capacity model.

When I was playing beat saber feeling like a boss I was smiling.

When playing moss, I kept thinking of the legend of prince valiant on the NES when I was a kid. Just because it was one of the first games I ever played.

Comparing that to Moss, on VR, today. Wow.

Last edited:

amigastar

Quest 3 is my first foray into VR unless you count Nintendo labo VR.

So I've had it a good few days now and bought 4 or 5 games.

Superhot, beat saber, moss 1 and 2, thumper, pistol whip and no more rainbows

It's incredibly immersive and I really feel like I'm in the 3D space. The 3D is great.

The tracking of the controllers or guns in pistol whip is spot on, as is looking all around with the headset.

It feels like your holding the guns almost. Lots of tricking of the senses going on. I guess that's what can cause nausea etc.
I get a headache after 30 mins and need a 5 minute break but it's still worth it. It could be because I need glasses.
I also noticed no difference when I change the is called IPO? The dial... Is that normal?

Looking down at the mouse in moss running around, craining my head to look around corners. The massive tall tree silhouettes reaching sky high. You lose yourself in the world.

I'm definitely blown away so far. The future is here? I'm sure many have gushed over VR like me, if it's all new. I thought Nintendo labo VR was great at the time 😂

When it's life-like graphics in 10-20 years time, it's going to be insane.

Well it's already incredible tech today, but you know, can't help but look forward!

I got the larger capacity model.

When I was playing beat saber feeling like a boss I was smiling.

When playing moss, I kept thinking of the legend of prince valiant on the NES when I was a kid. Just because it was one of the first games I ever played.

Comparing that to Moss, on VR, today. Wow.

I can only recommend Star Wars Squadrons (when its on sale for 2 bucks)
The immersion of sitting in a Star Wars Fighter is sensational and good for impressing people who never actually experienced or played VR.

Tangerine

I can only recommend Star Wars Squadrons (when its on sale for 2 bucks)
The immersion of sitting in a Star Wars Fighter is sensational and good for impressing people who never actually experienced or played VR.
I'm guessing that's not on the quest?

I don't have a PC. I will do relatively soon though. Was going to get a beast of a gaming PC when my inheritance comes in. So I'll definitely be getting half life alyx and squadrons then :]

amigastar

I don't have a PC. I will do relatively soon though. Was going to get a beast of a gaming PC when my inheritance comes in. So I'll definitely be getting half life alyx and squadrons then :]
No, i don't think it runs standalone on quest. But when you get your PC, 2 bucks is like nothing (when it's on sale, that is) Half Life Alyx is also awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member

You should try the First Encounters demo that comes bundled with it as well. It's pretty cute and shows how cool MR can be. If you ever have the chance to try a non-pancake lens headset you'd see that the IPD setting is pretty important, but since the Quest 3 has almost no sweet spot, many people don't even notice the IPD setting having much effect.

Tangerine

You should try the First Encounters demo that comes bundled with it as well. It's pretty cute and shows how cool MR can be. If you ever have the chance to try a non-pancake lens headset you'd see that the IPD setting is pretty important, but since the Quest 3 has almost no sweet spot, many people don't even notice the IPD setting having much effect.
Interesting about the IPD.

I forgot to mention I tried first encounters first. Mapped out my room and proceeded to blast colourful critters as the walls of my bedroom fell away revealing an alien planet. I was pretty impressed to say the least!

The pass through is obviously far less resolution than real life. But still good enough for a new feature in quest 3. Makes me wonder how good apples $3500 headset will look/function.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

FYI if you're playing Automobilista 2 there are several mods for it from project cars 2 like tracks (especially the scenic ones). There are also quite a few modded cars. This saved me trying to get one of the project car games.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

There is also a beat saber update with free songs, note that latest modded version is 1.28 so this will brick that:

You can gran a referral here if you need (as well as various others):

Minsc

Gold Member
Interesting, I'm curious if the game is actually deep enough to keep it interesting for that long, 100+ hours. I don't really trust previews one bit, but since I already own it, there's not much to lose - I'll just see for myself lol. But I am curious to read the more honest reviews of the game past the initial 10-20 hours where repetition wouldn't be as much a factor.

I downloaded Asgards Wrath 1 this past weekend on my New PC. It took ALL Weekend. All day Saturday and part of Sunday. The PC meta store is painfully slow.
I can download on the headset fast but not PC? Thankfully Asgards Wrath 2 will be native on the headset and should download fast, I hope.
I've spent more money on VR than 'flat' games for 2023. Gonna Buy Arizona Sunshine 2 but first need to see the update for the Quest 3. This is the second game I've had to wait for a Quest 3 update. First was 7th Guest.
Meta seems to like launching the Quest 2 version for all headsets then maybe update later on for the quest 3.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is Asgards wrath 1 on native Quest 3?

I know I own it for my rift S, so I could play there. WOuld be easier if its native though.

Top Bottom