• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Delta is being made by Kojima Old Team and Virtuous Studios

KOMANI

KOMANI
Good info there !

I'm glad he went with Kojima. They seem to work well together. Did he write ZoE2 though?

Yeah Murata's involvement in MGS4 is pretty well known (first trailers had his name all over). Now i wonder how much truth is to the rumour that, once Kojima came back as a lead director, he re-recorded all mo-cap for all 9 hours of cutscenes, together with re-writing most major beats of the game.
MGS4 apparently had a much more troubled development than we know.
Murata was all ZOE2 (Anubis). He tied all the games and the anime together for ZOE2 (much like he did for MGS4 later on). In 2005, Kojima had an MGS4 diary, detailing development. Murata did too.
September
October
November
December
January

Gojiira

I like how they say ‘Kojimas old team’ when actually the majority went with him to Kojima Productions…So B-team? Interns? Really not instilling confidence lol

RaduN

Murata was all ZOE2 (Anubis). He tied all the games and the anime together for ZOE2 (much like he did for MGS4 later on). In 2005, Kojima had an MGS4 diary, detailing development. Murata did too.
September
October
November
December
January
Oh, i remember that journal. Was reading it as it was updated. So cool and well written. I remember Kojima randomly meeting the Johny VA while in transit (my memory is a bit foggy though):)

K2D

Banned
Remasters sounding more like ports, and 'delta' remaster sounding more like a propper remaster.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's not running on Fox Engine, is it?
No sign for it, but no reason either. The rumor says that this engine sucks to develop, and you have to remember that it's 10 years old now. Unreal 5 has way more potential, and it's so easy that a person with no background in coding can built a scenario

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Remasters sounding more like ports, and 'delta' remaster sounding more like a propper remaster.

Mostly agree.

The Remasters are basically just the Blue Point code (hopefully running at higher resolution at least) and the Delta sounds like Halo: Anniversary.

coffinbirth

This just reads as the hubris of someone who takes things for granted. Remasters, remakes, and whatever else still count as work. You think those things program and port themselves?
I just don't support trash, and for some reason that triggers you into making odd leaps in logic. If these guys regularly made products that weren't hot garbage, I wouldn't be skeptical. It's pretty fucking simple.

I sure hope they remove the stealth sections in favor of something more modern and convenient.

How stupid does that sound? That's exactly what some are asking of the rumored FFXI remake: imagine removing turn based combat and replacing it with something that wasn't originally designed for the game.

I like how they say ‘Kojimas old team’ when actually the majority went with him to Kojima Productions…So B-team? Interns? Really not instilling confidence lol
Japan has a different view of studios to the West. In the West we focus on the leaders of the team, but in Japan they had the view that the leader doesn't matter. Allegedly Miyamoto being the creator of Mario was only a big deal outside Japan. So it would make sense that Konami would believe that they can make MGS without Kojima as long as it was the same "team".

Since Konami is a known "blaku-company", i don't expect the studio to achieve much now.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
silly question, whatever happened to the guy who used to be assistant writer for kojima? They need him back on board
You're thinking Shuyo Murata? He was the one that wrote Zone of the Enders series, so hopefully we'll hear from him in the future.

He might have stayed with Konami...didn't hear he was leaving with Kojima at the time.
He is with Kojima Productions

I just don't support trash, and for some reason that triggers you into making odd leaps in logic. If these guys regularly made products that weren't hot garbage, I wouldn't be skeptical. It's pretty fucking simple.
Nothing you said changes that it’s still work to port and/or remaster games. Which your original post definitely takes for granted. Your opinion however, is subjective, they’ve done some good work.

There’s no leap in logic required, except for the leap you made thinking there is a leap somewhere here. It’s hard to imagine someone thinking this is a good defense of their position, the little angry outburst at the end doesn’t help either, especially when you’re attempting to claim someone else got triggered 😬

Last edited:
They are gonna make mgs1 and 2 if Delta sells. That's a certain but I wouldn't be surprised Kojima one day makes another MGS game. Years to come talking.

He has heat with whoever in Konami but issues fade over time and who ever he has problems with might not be in the company in 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he gets offered the choice to make another.

My take anyways.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean they don’t have to do anything but remake a game exactly like it was but better looking. It’s not like they are creating something new.

Gojiira

I mean they don’t have to do anything but remake a game exactly like it was but better looking. It’s not like they are creating something new.
Pointless really, a remake like Demons Souls worked because the gameplay was already there and it really just needed modern visuals and performance but MGS3 is being remade with modern gameplay, thats a problem. Why? Because the maps werent made to accommodate those modern mechanics so theres going to either be redundant mechanics or gameplay sequences broken by their inclusion. This is exactly what happened with The Twin Snakes as well. Its pointless ‘remaking’ MGS3 unless its from the ground up. They had a chance to make the jungle a vast stealth playground instead they chose the easy route.

Pointless really, a remake like Demons Souls worked because the gameplay was already there and it really just needed modern visuals and performance but MGS3 is being remade with modern gameplay, thats a problem. Why? Because the maps werent made to accommodate those modern mechanics so theres going to either be redundant mechanics or gameplay sequences broken by their inclusion. This is exactly what happened with The Twin Snakes as well. Its pointless ‘remaking’ MGS3 unless its from the ground up. They had a chance to make the jungle a vast stealth playground instead they chose the easy route.
Has it been confirmed they are still sticking with the corridors jungle that mgs3 was?

Gojiira

Has it been confirmed they are still sticking with the corridors jungle that mgs3 was?
You can literally see it in the Konami released screenshots, exact same blocky geometry just much better graphics. Every single screenshot.
Pretty sure interview stated maps were being made to be ‘faithful’ so given the evidence yeah confirmed.

CamHostage

Eh, true that the gameplay of MGS3 is limited with its transition sections and small play areas, but be careful what you wish for... the game succeeds because it was made by masters at the top of their game doing very complicated and meticulously designed gameplay, and to just have a port studio totally reinterpret that with modern game designs would erase most of that craftsmanship and replace it with what the current game designers can do.

I'm not really sure what the answer to remaking MGS3 is. Honestly, it feels too late. Little fixes and tweaks could help make play work more comfortably, but no amount of graphic upgrades could hide the fact that it's a clever layout of 'mazes' with corridors and rooms where you navigate around three or so simple opponent paths. And if they go the opposite way of totally remaking it open-world, nothing of the original game layout/AI could translate (plus it would still feel small unless they add a ton of generic space) and it would MGS3 in name only. It's an incredible challenge to find the right balance, or to find some way to reincorporate elements which worked in the original version into a modern game layout. There is no "easy route", and there may not even be a "best route", but we'll see...

This remake will fail
Konami lost there way when they canceled silent hill pt
The funny thing Capcom copied the marketing ideas from PT
And it made resident evil series popular again after resident evil 6 disaster
Konami are managed by bunch of dumbasses 🤣🤣🤣😂

Last edited:

RaduN

Eh, true that the gameplay of MGS3 is limited with its transition sections and small play areas, but be careful what you wish for... the game succeeds because it was made by masters at the top of their game doing very complicated and meticulously designed gameplay, and to just have a port studio totally reinterpret that with modern game designs would erase most of that craftsmanship and replace it with what the current game designers can do.

I'm not really sure what the answer to remaking MGS3 is. Honestly, it feels too late. Little fixes and tweaks could help make play work more comfortably, but no amount of graphic upgrades could hide the fact that it's a clever layout of 'mazes' with corridors and rooms where you navigate around three or so simple opponent paths. And if they go the opposite way of totally remaking it open-world, nothing of the original game layout/AI could translate (plus it would still feel small unless they add a ton of generic space) and it would MGS3 in name only. It's an incredible challenge to find the right balance, or to find some way to reincorporate elements which worked in the original version into a modern game layout. There is no "easy route", and there may not even be a "best route", but we'll see...
Excelent post.

People always downplay the complexity and incredible level of fine tunning and ballance MGS(3) has in terms of level design vs gameplay mechanics. Most only think of the superb cutscenes and narrative when it comes to MGS, but the actual gameplay part of these games is equaly outstanding.

I'd rather have the exact same levels and interactions, with a couple of qol improvements taken straight from 4/5, than some half assed re-imagining with mandatory modern open world features and other shit.

I swear Konami pretends MGS 4 doesn't exist
A fine game alright, man where are the time going? It was June 2008 if memory serves me correctly. My brother had bought a ps3 previously in 2007. He bought it for me knowing mgs4 was coming out. Good dude.

15 years ago... actually am gonna search the date now.... June 12th 2008. 15 years 3 days ago. I feel old. Ironically the game is about old snake too lol.

Gojiira

Oh dont get me wrong Im not advocating for Konami as they are now attempting a full remake, only that it SHOULD be a full remake. Modern gameplay is just going to be redundant so the only thing it has going for it is pretty graphics but tbh what has been shown so far is meh at best. Even Snake just looks off in the teaser, but since thats not actually in game given the screenshots look considerably less impressive Im not exactly hyped to see more tbh.

Gojiira

A fine game alright, man where are the time going? It was June 2008 if memory serves me correctly. My brother had bought a ps3 previously in 2007. He bought it for me knowing mgs4 was coming out. Good dude.

15 years ago... actually am gonna search the date now.... June 12th 2008. 15 years 3 days ago. I feel old. Ironically the game is about old snake too lol.
People need to remember MGS4 wouldnt have existed without Sony, they funded it and thats why its been stuck on PS3 sadly. Who knows if anything will ever come of it again.

People need to remember MGS4 wouldnt have existed without Sony, they funded it and thats why its been stuck on PS3 sadly. Who knows if anything will ever come of it again.
Wasn't that just a rumor tho. Was a thread a few months ago about it on here. The belief that Sony paid for exclusivity was long held but Kojima or who ever came out and said porting a 360 version would have required too many disks so just chose ps3.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Have to see the game at face value, played mgs1 to death stranding so I trust them with mgs3 remake.

CamHostage

People always downplay the complexity and incredible level of fine tunning and ballance MGS(3) has in terms of level design vs gameplay mechanics.

And also the very specific maximizing of game design abilities of PS2-era hardware (particularly with this type of game engine). They went for graphic density and mechanics strategy over world complexity or dynamic systems, and all of the challenges of the game are designed to make its limitations a play advantage. Take the limits off and... does it still work?

The closest success cases I can think of is the RE2/3 remakes, where the limits of the camera and the single-screen/short-scrolling backgrounds plus the awkward aiming system were how the designers to the tension and terror... for the remakes, they basically said, "Yeah but whatever" and made it full 3d, and it's not the same horror experience but nothing is the same in horror gaming 25 years later so just make it RE4 in Raccoon City and that's good too.

MGS3, it's way more advanced and so you'd think it'd update easier, but again, they did it a certain way back then instead of a different way like other games of the time because they knew what they were doing.

I'd rather have the exact same levels and interactions, with a couple of qol improvements taken straight from 4/5, than some half assed re-imagining with mandatory modern open world features and other shit.

...But, can you sell that for $70 in today's market?

That's the catch22: you want to sell MGS3 to people who want MGS3 today, but you can't sell MGS3 today if its just MGS3.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Wasn't that just a rumor tho. Was a thread a few months ago about it on here. The belief that Sony paid for exclusivity was long held but Kojima or who ever came out and said porting a 360 version would have required too many disks so just chose ps3.
Well even when the whole series went multiplat and we had the HD Collection and the Legacy Collection, only the Playstation version included MGS4 and MG1-2 and MGS1 IIRC, Im not 100% but 4 has never left the PS ecosystem. MAYBE the new Master Collection when it reaches Vol 2 might change this Idk.

Every element that isn't just 60fps/4k in Dark Souls Remastered was a dumb change for the worse. The lighting and the botched ambient sound layers most notably. Granted, it's nerd detail shit so the average player probably doesn't care but it doesn't inspire much confidence for me.

Last edited:

RaduN

If they port MGS4 to modern platforms, will they remove all the mentions of PS3, and PSP?

No,

They will put a disclaimer, that some of the content reflects the times when it was originally made, and that's it.

I am concerned however by the 3 pre-rendered cutscenes that are in the game. They looked pretty artifact-ish on the original disc, compared to the pristine look of the rest, so i hope they still have the data, to somehow render them real-time. (I know it wont happend though).

poodaddy

I trust Konami :pie_raybans:(y)
dancing with the stars television GIF

RaduN

Is Tomokazu Fukushima working on it? If so, it might turn out good after all.
What would the guy have to do with the remake?

It's been officially stated already that it is frame by frame identical to the original, and the audio is exactly the same as well.
In gameplay it will probably be exactly like Subistence, buy without the loading screens, and maybe a couple of extra qol imporvements (camo change, etc).

Hudo

What would the guy have to do with the remake?

It's been officially stated already that it is frame by frame identical to the original, and the audio is exactly the same as well.
In gameplay it will probably be exactly like Subistence, buy without the loading screens, and maybe a couple of extra qol imporvements (camo change, etc).
The guy was integral in the writing, pacing and co-directing of the earlier MGS games (including 3). Even if everyone wants to think that Kojima did all of that by himself (he didn't).

RaduN

The guy was integral in the writing, pacing and co-directing of the earlier MGS games (including 3). Even if everyone wants to think that Kojima did all of that by himself (he didn't).
I don't think Fukushima was ever credited with anything other than co-writer (nothing in terms of directing, planning, pacing!?). As far as credits go, he and Murata wrote some of the non-story codec calls, but anyway, this has nothing to do with the remake, as they are not changing a single line of dialogue.

Hudo

I don't think Fukushima was ever credited with anything other than co-writer (nothing in terms of directing, planning, pacing!?). As far as credits go, he and Murata wrote some of the non-story codec calls, but anyway, this has nothing to do with the remake, as they are not changing a single line of dialogue.
I was just asking if he's also working on the remake. Nothing more.

Top Bottom