• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

AAMARMO

Banned
VPZIA1A.png

Bruh. https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

J.EM1

We're one month away from the one year anniversary of MGSV's release.

With the exception of one week playing The Order: 1886, MGSV has been the only game I've been playing since its release.

Kindekuma

Banned
We're one month away from the one year anniversary of MGSV's release.

With the exception of one week playing The Order: 1886, MGSV has been the only game I've been playing since its release.

I was thinking about making a thread about it, then again, it would probably devolve into a "I hate MGSV/Fuck Konami" circlejerk.

JGLS

I was thinking about making a thread about it, then again, it would probably devolve into a "I hate MGSV/Fuck Konami" circlejerk.

Make the thread, despite all the hate and disappointment, some of us ridiculously enjoy the gameplay and judge the game (warts and all) for what it is, instead of what the marketing campaign promised. In other news, a patch is probably inbound in the next few day as the Q&A build has been updated, as shown on SteamDB. Most likely, new items for development.

a lot of it depends on the content of the op. that 'mgs v is the goat stealth action game' really highlighted great parts of the game and illustrated it well, and it brought out a lot of support. would be a good read to see a similar thing on perhaps the subtle machinations of skull face, the verticality of forward operating bases, or the logistical and tactical approach and scout of its world design... or just praise for the game in general. it's my most played game of the last year, too, and still play it weekly and daily more months than not.

Javin98

Banned
a lot of it depends on the content of the op. that 'mgs v is the goat stealth action game' really highlighted great parts of the game and illustrated it well, and it brought out a lot of support. would be a good read to see a similar thing on perhaps the subtle machinations of skull face, the verticality of forward operating bases, or the logistical and tactical approach and scout of its world design... or just praise for the game in general. it's my most played game of the last year, too, and still play it weekly and daily more months than not.
When a mod made that thread, the haters knew better than to fuck around. :p

Stop giving us false hope, Kojima! The phantom pain still hurts!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Is it ever mentioned (I feel certain it is) that chapter 3 is the fans' phantom pain? Kojima does like to go meta - although it sounds like the game was cut short rather than that being so planned. Is it just a (un)happy coincidence?

I think there's allusion there, yeah...

While the phantom pain literally refers to Venom and Kaz's missing limbs, it alludes to being a reference to how the player feels at the end of the game and the missing character.

I think that's also why Kojima took away Quiet from the player, too... Perhaps in response to the negative reception she received. 'You guys don't like her? Then I'm sure you won't mind her leaving.' From a gameplay sense, I felt a sort of phantom pain for my sniping buddy -- ashamed for my thoughts and deeds.

Then, the Moby Dick references and its own loose ending, lack of published epilogue, and in general its lack of concluding loose ends. Those Moby Dick references (Ahab, Pequod, and the Third Child's whale-of-fire all sort of alluding to not only does the game give you a phantom pain for the missing character at the end but also it's missing conclusion.

Essentially, Kojima is Big Boss while Venom is the player, the relationship and deception alike, and the player experiences phantom pain in a way that mirrors Venom.

Can I wear this in solo missions on my avatar / other DD stuff?

The swimsuit can be worn by normal Diamond Dog soldiers during missions. It cannot be worn by Venom Snake. It can also be applied to FOB staff via the security settings menu, however it cannot be worn by soldiers housed at your single player Mother Base.

So they can port MGO gear to SP but not the other way around? Even tho ppl have been asking for that since day 1? Gg konami
I think I will never be able to replay MGSV again. I've spend so many hours increasing my staff, developing stuff, doing FOB (mostly training for it)... that kinda feels like something you do once and never again. It was fun, but starting over would certainly not be, unless I ignore all that. It is a big part of the game though, so it would feel like something's missing. The only incentive for me to play it again from the beginning would be all these cutscenes you don't get by simply replaying the missions. but would that really be worth deleting your save file or creating a new one and start over from scratch? Well, I guess it also depends on how much time you had invested in it before. One day they are going to shut down the servers... what a mess it will be then. All the stuff that will be unavailable, because there'd be no way (sans cheating) to get your staff ranks up that high.

It's the same with Peace Walker for me. Considering how many hours I have poured into both games, it's not a bad thing I guess.
I just started a new game on my other psn account b/c there's no way I'm losing all that work

Mexen

Only online thing I have done is played Bounty Hunter in MGO. I have not given FOBs a proper chance. Was kind of hoping to finish the game first so that my stats would be more or whatever so I can keep losses to an absolute minimum. Exactly how do FOBs work again? haha

Apparently the swimsuit provides a few perks for Diamond Dogs staff.

From GameFAQs:
The wearer gains Athlete and Climber abilities. I just tested it on FOBs and single player after reading a comment about it on a video. It also gives you the extra +50 ESP point "Naked" bonus after completing an infiltration.

This supposed novelty item is actually pretty good. If you can get past the fact that it has no camo bonus on FOBs, it can be very helpful for 2.0x staff. If you use it with a soldier that has Quick Reload, that soldier will play a lot like Snake (w/o the arm obv).

Video: Swimsuit Hidden Perk

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Saven

Banned
A new discovery was found in MGSV.

You only have to rescue the kid with the broken leg in Mission 18. The cutscene after plays out differently too. It might be a mistake on Konami's part, but a nice discovery.

Starts around 7:00

Beta Stage

Neo Member
After going on a 2 month hiatus when I finished chapter 1, I started playing again yestrerday. While listening to the audio tapes and beating the
quarantine mission
I have discovered one thing: Huey is the slimiest, most weasel-faced, snake in the grass character I have ever encountered in a videogame. Everything that douche says is either a lie or part of some psycho plan. Seriously, how did Otacon end up being even semi-stable? His dad
used him as a fucking guinea pig
and possibly
offed his mom
! I think he is the first fictional character I legitimately hate.

After going on a 2 month hiatus when I finished chapter 1, I started playing again yestrerday. While listening to the audio tapes and beating the
quarantine mission
I have discovered one thing: Huey is the slimiest, most weasel-faced, snake in the grass character I have ever encountered in a videogame. Everything that douche says is either a lie or part of some psycho plan. Seriously, how did Otacon end up being even semi-stable? His dad
used him as a fucking guinea pig
and possibly
offed his mom
! I think he is the first fictional character I legitimately hate.

85a.jpg

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm guessing Zeke goes up into that portal since it's never mentioned again after GZ?

MGSV should've gotten 4 player coop stealth, but the one game getting it is a zombie shooter. smh

J.EM1

At first I was excited. But now I'm disappointed. They could have done something entirely new. And where is Chapter 3!? :p

Timeaisis

At first I was excited. But now I'm disappointed. They could have done something entirely new. And where is Chapter 3!? :p

Yeah they could have done the spinoff game staring Ocelot as a spy set in the late '60s/early '70s but nooooooo it had to be zombies.

Top Bottom