• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

Vic_Viper

VPZIA1A.png

Bruh. https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

Looks like Grey Fox will be a playable character in Metal Gear Survive.

If anything positive could come out of Survive, its the fact that its a fun Co-op game set in the MGSV universe. Its an Expansion side story, hopefully they will just retcon it all at the end.

In all honesty, its could be pretty fun to play MGSV with 4 player co-op. Would be pretty neat to have characters like Grey Fox, SS, and Quiet as unlockable playable heroes.

Atleast their first entry into the series without Kojima isnt going to be a new game in his saga. Maybe they can reboot the timeline at the end of this and we can play a game as Solid Snake taking orders from Big Boss. Like a Metal Gear 1 remake/reboot. Im actually kinda excited to see what they do after this. Lets wait and see before rushing to judgement.

Vic_Viper

Does anyone here have the MGSV Sneaking Suit Big Boss Play Arts Kai figure? Debating picking it up and was wondering what the quality was like? I have a few of their other figures and love them but they can be hit or miss on quality.

Thinking about getting the Big Boss figure or one of the timeless Batman variants like the Wild West variant.

FIGURE-011932.jpg

BadWolf

Does anyone here have the MGSV Sneaking Suit Big Boss Play Arts Kai figure? Debating picking it up and was wondering what the quality was like? I have a few of their other figures and love them but they can be hit or miss on quality.

Thinking about getting the Big Boss figure or one of the timeless Batman variants like the Wild West variant.

FIGURE-011932.jpg

Trying reading here: http://myfigurecollection.net/item/249710#tab/user/date/1/2

They also have user photos so you can see non-bullshots.

Vic_Viper

Trying reading here: http://myfigurecollection.net/item/249710#tab/user/date/1/2

They also have user photos so you can see non-bullshots.

Thanks, they have some on Ebay super cheap. I wonder if they are knock offs or something lol. For $30 though, im going to risk it.

The only complaint I have with some of these figures is the faces just look bad sometimes. Wild West Batman looks really cringe worthy on some shots but then others its looks awesome.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Meh I'm down with this Survive deal, I'll withhold judgment, but of course I would prefer chapter 3 :( here's hoping Survive is fun (and interesting) though

AAMARMO

Banned
Few people including me are creating a discord group chat for all you people out there who want to discuss Metal Gear and Other things.

If you want to Join PM me.

Outer-Gram has come to.

Don't get confused by the patriot Gram.

Meh I'm down with this Survive deal, I'll withhold judgment, but of course I would prefer chapter 3 :( here's hoping Survive is fun (and interesting) though
I think it has a lot of great potential in terms of core gameplay, especially for anyone that currently enjoys MGS V's free roam, Mother Base, etc. Blasting zombies in TPP with plastic bullets or shells is always fun, too, so I could see the core action being satisfying.

Just the choice of setting is so.... odd. Even by MGS standards, they could do survival, lost, zombies, etc in so many ways without 'alternate dimension crystallized zombies' lol they remind me of the Dragon Age Red Templars that are infected by red lyrium.

The whole zombie thing even sort of makes sense with the TPP side-ops for 'Lost MSF members' all being parasitic puppets. It could have filled a little bit of plot between GZ and TPP -- like some island off Costa Rica or Nicaragua (or Indian Ocean) where Skull Face had a parasite lab and shit goes to hell, and the missing MSF troops are standed (or captured and transported) there and they have to try survive (though in the end they go mad and end up in TPP as those lost MSF wandering puppets). Or who knows what else haha could have been a dozen things not zombie related (did we really need another zombie survival game?) -- just in general more Diamond Dogs and land-based FOBs. So many things they could have done that better fit into either MSF or DD, or even Outer Heaven's earliest days.

All that aside though, just taken as a separate game it could be interesting -- new shit to collect and built while enjoying the same great core gameplay.

And the Metal Gear that we hear is hopefully ZEKE since it was hidden underwater and it would make sense to go through the same wormhole.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Yeah I too could see a lot of ways to do the story more within the universe without the alternate dimension, and I might prefer that - but then again I do like weird, so maybe whatever they're coming up with will be my kind of weird.

Is there much of a contingent pulling for a "remake" of MG1 and 2? Because I think that's the obvious next step for the series, and I would love to see it. Never played either (plan to at least try to soon), but from what I gather there would be plenty of room to expand (or just retcon) the story to make it a pretty new experience overall. Obviously all the gameplay would be entirely new.

This is all after they finish and release chapter 3 of course though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Metal Gear Solid 3DS Port
Metal Gear Survivor
Metal Gear NES
Snake's Revenge
MGS: Twin Snakes
MG Rising: Revengeance

The true canon timeline of the series.

FIGURE-011932.jpg
I don't have the sneaking suit one, but I do have the tiger stripe, and I think its pretty good. I'd say this is one of the better PAK figures.

JGLS

Did he take a perma over the incorrect rumors? Or just a temp? Batzi will become the new CiperCat.

I don't know. Perma, perhaps? From the MG:S thread.

I don't think you understand. We don't care if you actually know anything or not, we care that you behave in the most irritating manner while trying to be an attention whore on this forum. So once you're wrong, you're gone.

I think Kojima finally chose the engine and began full production for Death Stranding...?

Also gonna speculate that Kojima chose the engine that SCE's Bend Studios in Oregon uses.

Takes roughly 10-13 hours by plane to get from Tokyo to PDX (including lay-overs if there isn't a direct flight), and about 3 hours of driving south to go from PDX to Bend, OR.

I hope he announces something soon. He made a big splash at PAX a few years ago, and this year's event is right around the corner.

Chinner

Banned
The franchise may be shit now, however we still have the old games.

Should we arrange a community play through of the old games on certain dates? Then we can be nostalgic together.

Ryan_MSF

I think Kojima finally chose the engine and began full production for Death Stranding...?

Also gonna speculate that Kojima chose the engine that SCE's Bend Studios in Oregon uses.

Takes roughly 10-13 hours by plane to get from Tokyo to PDX (including lay-overs if there isn't a direct flight), and about 3 hours of driving south to go from PDX to Bend, OR.

Are you stalking Kojima's flight information

I always knew you were fucking weird.

Icefire1424

After reading this thread yesterday, I was motivated to jump back into the game after having not played for awhile. I'm up to the important side quest where (Chapter 2 spoilers):

You have to rescue the children that escaped Mother Base. I already rescued the ones at the ruins, the mansion and was now attempting to rescue the one at the large temple.

Well, it went wrong. After successfully neutralizing some guards in a non-lethal manner, I was spotted, and all hell broke loose. Ended up going lethal, taking out half the guard force with an assault rifle and the undermount grenade launcher. Had the foresight to plant C4 on the comm tower and blow it during the alert, so at least they couldn't call in reinforcements. Much blood later, the outpost was cleared and I started looking for my target. When I stepped wrong and fell off the third floor of the building, killing Snake. Crap.

A year and a day and I finally completed The Phantom Pain 100% for the platinum. I've had my highs and lows with the game. Completed the main game proper 3 and a half weeks and have taken it to FOB4 but beyond the completion aspect and listening to the remaining tapes,. I think I can put this to bed and tackle MGS2-3 once more. One of the few reasons to keep a PS3 around for me, personally.

It's been quite the ride. I remember the hype, the reveal, slowly getting back on board with the series after sitting out the PS3 and hence, MGS4. Impulsively buying Ground Zeroes the night of release and realizing after several vanilla playthroughs how much variety there was to approaching a mission. The E3 trailers and insaaaaane theories. Locking myself in and replaying Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, 4, and Peace walker leading into V.

And while everyone criticized chapter 2 and the story, (with reason) I like that the game fleshed out Miller who was just a ruse in Metal Gear Solid 1. His design and unhinged quality as the story went on added something to it, even if things just go sideways. Wasn't he hinted at as being infected? Wasn't there an entire thing where his and Venom's eye color changes? And Codetalker warns Venom about him? Bizarre.

I'm not sure if it was such a good choice to make every single cutscene a single "take". IT works really well in Ground Zeroes as a kick off to the proceedings but a lot of it feels less cinematic than functional, which is a crying shame in this series. Also the credits every mission, I'm assuming that was a way of the game loading the map. I makes the game feel less like a movie which is a staple of the series and more like a TV episode with lesser stakes like a viscount or truck filled with Uranium.

It's so sad that Kojima laid out all the ingredients to make a METAL GEAR remake where Venom's outer heaven is the virtuous mission to Zanzibar's main event. No. pachinko and a superfluous game about zombies, What was that meeting like?

J.J. Abrams had a famous TED talk about the mystery box approach to marketing - which I never really liked - but Kojima fully has that kind of presentation down pat. Every trailer just unlocks peoples crazy impulses for theorizing and it should make the wait for DEATH STRANDING amusingly crazy. I did a huge double-take when that Mads Mikkelson popped up on my newsfeed. Like of course people would use his shirt to piece that together.

Calling it a night but I'd like to share the spotify playlist I made since it added so much to the experience over the year. There's something so satisfying about CQC-ing the skulls to Mr. Roboto.

Metal Gear Solid V: This is Morpho

https://open.spotify.com/user/darth_chocula/playlist/2qvjGTpwwBoSttVfiysifk

01. Lindsey Buckingham - Trouble
02. Van Halen - Jump - Remastered Version
03. Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind
04. Rocky Burnette - Tired of Toein' the Line
05. Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In the Dark
06. Billy Idol - Eyes Without A Face - 1999 - Remaster
07. The Clash - Train in Vain - Remastered
08. Robert Palmer - Johnny And Mary
09. John Carpenter - Main Title
10. Alphaville - Big In Japan - Best Of-Version
11. Dario Russo - Face Your Fears (Face Russia!)
12. Styx - Mr. Roboto
13. The Motels - Only The Lonely - Digitally Remastered 99
14. Missing Persons - Words - 2002 Digital Remaster
15. Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy
16. Nena - Hangin' On You
17. Neil Young - Sample And Hold
18. Raf - Self Control
19. The Tourists - I Only Want to Be With You
20. Chris Spedding - Video Life
21. Earth, Wind & Fire - Let's Groove
22. Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat
23. Chris Spedding - Counterfeit - Remastered
24. The The - Soul Mining
25. Cocteau Twins - Blood Bitch

Coreda

Interesting. 5 chapters planned including a return to Camp Omega (according to one post Ground Zeroes was originally chapter 2), Motherbase spaced out deliberately for the PS3/X360 versions, and the barren open world required for the last gen consoles.

Not to mention the larger vision for OKB Zero, alternate intro cutscene/music, Snake originally having four fingers with a detachable fifth for different gadgets. A lot of the scaling back was simply due to Konami's decision to target those consoles.

Who knows.

JackelZXA

Very cool. Thanks, Jackel.

Thanks. I'm gonna write up that guide of how to have a more "story focused" playthrough of MGSV pretty soon (mandatory missions/ops only, all cutscenes triggered).

In the mean time, I had a little extra fun and wrote out what I felt would have made the Truth mission work better, while also coming up with a singleplayer use of the nukes cutscenes. Basically: "What if the ending was better by making it a secret and tying it to existing narrative themes of Peace, Truth, and becoming a Demon?" It's all here.

Basically, my idea goes in 3 phases:

Phase 1 (Venom): The door on the 3rd floor of the medical platform only opens after fultoning Wandering MB Soldier 01 AND completing Mission 43 (placing the scene at a more relevant spot in the story). Visiting that room triggers the cutscene for "Phase 1" of this. (moving it to later in the game where it would add more to the story and fit with the themes at that point, giving Venom more of an arc)

Phase 2 (Demon): Construct or Steal a Nuke and then return to Mother Base (or be sent there automatically after a mission) The scene where Kaz talks about the fear of nuclear arms driving us to build them ourselves plays. Then you automatically have 1 nuke in your possession automatically removed, and the cutscene about Mother Base having been attacked will play. Visiting the room on the Medical Platform triggers the next cutscene for "Phase 2" of this. (Snake becoming a demon. Have it work as long as you have given the order to construct a nuke, without waiting a full day to finish it. If it's stolen from Snake by the game instead of dismantling it yourself, you would build up a ton of demon points...the scene should still play if you dismantle it yourself before then, however.)

Phase 3 (Peace/Truth): Give all 10 photos, view the second cutscene, and the 11th photo will appear on the wall of the medical platform. (Smoking outside the room makes it faster to give additional photos) View the final cutscene in that room to progress "Phase 3" of this. After viewing this scene, disarm or have your nukes stolen so you no longer own any nukes and return to mother base to trigger CHAPTER 3: PEACE and the Nuclear Disarmament cutscene. Afterwards Mission 46 is unlocked. (Also, the bulk of Mission 46 should be skipped. Have (third boy) Mantis yell BLACK-OUT! after Venom falls out of bed and then cut to the mission results screen so we get "the goods") This is basically what I mean. After that you get the truth tapes and that's that. (Themes of Peace, and finding out the Truth.)

This would make Mission 46 feel like something the player earned, while also tying it to similar themes that would add to it's place in the narrative. I think making it a secret mission that the player has to go through several things to unlock that relate to Peace and Venom's Truth would have greatly improved the feeling of that third ending. (and wrapping the online only nukes stuff in the main story would have probably been for the best, as well. It would have been cool to have to unlock the truth using nonstandard, non action focused gameplay and have the photos, nukes, and truth all tied together into a more full feeling ending.)

My Idea in tl;dr (Making Mission 46's unlock more meaningful):

1) Complete Wandering MB Soldier 01 and Mission 43 to unlock the room on the Medical Platform.
2) Construct a Nuke and return to Mother Base and the room on the Medical Platform. (Fear of Nukes and FOB scenes on return)
3) Present all 11 photos, possess 0 nukes, and return to Mother Base for Disarmament scene (Chapter 3: Peace) & Mission 46 (Truth).

Top Bottom