• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

IV1xBrF.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
h8Q824E.jpg

The Liquid Snake prequel that could have been

strafer

So I did the quiet mission six times to get her back because I kinda missed having her move around the chopper while I develop stuff, but it turns out that D-Dog is always with me on missions because he marks targets faster than quiet, sorry quiet. :(

Javin98

Banned
So I did the quiet mission six times to get her back because I kinda missed having her move around the chopper while I develop stuff, but it turns out that D-Dog is always with me on missions because he marks targets faster than quiet, sorry quiet. :(
Well, honestly, it depends on your playstyle and mission. In tightly packed bases like OKB Zero, I do agree that DD is indeed better. However, in more open bases like the airport and Afghanistan central base camp, I think Quiet is the better buddy here as she can cover you. When it comes to marking enemies, though, DD is unmatched. He never misses an enemy when Quiet often misses several even when scouting. All in all, in post game scenarios, DD is definitely the best buddy of the bunch, especially when the enemy soldiers have helmets which Quiet can't shoot through if she doesn't use her best rifle. Still, Quiet is pretty nice to have around, so is DD. :)

The MGS HD Collection on 360 hasn't gone BC on Xbox One yet, has it? Any word on that happening anytime soon? My fiancé is interested in going through the MGS games with me, but I'm in a predicament. I have 1 and 4 on PS3, but I got the HD collection on Xbox 360. I don't have access to my 360 anymore. But I do have an Xbone and a PS4 and a PS3.

Is my best option to rebuy 2 and 3 on HD on PS3, wait for BC for the 360 version of the HD Collection, or pray for a new HD collection on modern consoles? I see the PS3 version of the HD collection is only $13 on Amazon, so I'm wondering if that's my best bet.

kc44135

The MGS HD Collection on 360 hasn't gone BC on Xbox One yet, has it? Any word on that happening anytime soon? My fiancé is interested in going through the MGS games with me, but I'm in a predicament. I have 1 and 4 on PS3, but I got the HD collection on Xbox 360. I don't have access to my 360 anymore. But I do have an Xbone and a PS4 and a PS3.

Is my best option to rebuy 2 and 3 on HD on PS3, wait for BC for the 360 version of the HD Collection, or pray for a new HD collection on modern consoles? I see the PS3 version of the HD collection is only $13 on Amazon, so I'm wondering if that's my best bet.

I'd say PS3. There's no telling when or even if the MGS HD Collection will compatible on X1. Besides that, I've never played the X360 version of the collection, but I've generally heard that the PS3 version is superior. The original version of MGS2 and 3 on PS2 were designed to take advantage of the "analog" face buttons on the PS2 controller (I.e. press square lightly to aim, press hard to shoot). This is something the PS3 controller can replicate, but not the 360 controller, and while I'm not sure what the workaround was for this, I've heard it was kinda awkward. The PS3 version let's you play the games as intended, though, so that would be my recommendation.

Kindekuma

Banned
Did Konami drop support for MGO already? It looks like there haven't been any updates in a while.

I think so? There was an update to MGSV like 2 weeks ago at this point but I'm not sure what the patch notes included.

MGO3 population quickly dwindled, which is a shame because I enjoy playing it when there's a lot of people.

KOMANI

KOMANI

PS3. It's $13. It's available. Don't forget to play Peacewalker.

I know it's a long shot but I wish they would patch in a New Game+ or give the option to reset the story or something.

i'm dying to replay the game in a story mode that trims all the fat and grinding. after 200 hours of getting the platinum, i'd love to play through the meatiest missions with all the relevent cutscenes in a linear fashion

PillarEN

I reached the credits for MGS Peace Walker. Thought I was done. Or rather in my mind I believed that was that. Finished all the available missions up to that point, didn't see the purpose of finishing Zeke (why should I replay robot boss missions to collect ZEKE parts?) Go to Wikipedia to read the plot to piece the story together as I couldn't remember all the details from earlier (it's a looooong game if you make it so). I'm reading and suddenly in the latter part of the story summary there is all this stuff that I never even saw. What? How is that possible? I finished the game and all was right in the world. Guess not. So I check to see what it is that one must do to go further. Sorry but there is no way anybody could possibly figure this out on their own. Play two random side missions to begin to trigger the new chapter? Why would I even try that if I completed everything on my personal list? For my game there was zero motivation from a story perspective. And then I look up to see you have to go to a gun range mission to find the bad dude? Ridiculous. This is some "buy the strategy guide" level of BS. Why would they hide a 5th of the game from me :(

Shit, I'm going to continue the game now, but it's absolute bull how this chapter is completely hidden away.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I reached the credits for MGS Peace Walker. Thought I was done. Or rather in my mind I believed that was that. Finished all the available missions up to that point, didn't see the purpose of finishing Zeke (why should I replay robot boss missions to collect ZEKE parts?) Go to Wikipedia to read the plot to piece the story together as I couldn't remember all the details from earlier (it's a looooong game if you make it so). I'm reading and suddenly in the latter part of the story summary there is all this stuff that I never even saw. What? How is that possible? I finished the game and all was right in the world. Guess not. So I check to see what it is that one must do to go further. Sorry but there is no way anybody could possibly figure this out on their own. Play two random side missions to begin to trigger the new chapter? Why would I even try that if I completed everything on my personal list? For my game there was zero motivation from a story perspective. And then I look up to see you have to go to a gun range mission to find the bad dude? Ridiculous. This is some "buy the strategy guide" level of BS. Why would they hide a 5th of the game from me :(

Shit, I'm going to continue the game now, but it's absolute bull how this chapter is completely hidden away.
It's the same as Castlevania's SOTN.

I think so? There was an update to MGSV like 2 weeks ago at this point but I'm not sure what the patch notes included.

MGO3 population quickly dwindled, which is a shame because I enjoy playing it when there's a lot of people.

MGO felt like a barren land so damn quick, although it was fun when active. I haven't checked but I'd be very surprised if people were still playing MGO lol.

strafer

i'm dying to replay the game in a story mode that trims all the fat and grinding. after 200 hours of getting the platinum, i'd love to play through the meatiest missions with all the relevent cutscenes in a linear fashion

I would love to play through the game using my avatar. I did the White Mamba and Quiet mission with my avatar and that was pretty hilarious seeing him do all the CQC.

Im on mission 39 of MGSV, i spoilt the story for myself by like mission 5 (having only played portable ops, and MGS4) and don't really care about story that much.

But now, Im burnt out. I don't even know if i can finish it. Side ops are fun, but doing the same missions over with added difficulty isn't as fun as i thought it would be. Ill still probably do a few side ops, and the FOB missions are quite fun but I think now its time to move on. So sad :(

I would love to play through the game using my avatar. I did the White Mamba and Quiet mission with my avatar and that was pretty hilarious seeing him do all the CQC.

How are you able to play as your avatar?

strafer

Im on mission 39 of MGSV, i spoilt the story for myself by like mission 5 (having only played portable ops, and MGS4) and don't really care about story that much.

But now, Im burnt out. I don't even know if i can finish it. Side ops are fun, but doing the same missions over with added difficulty isn't as fun as i thought it would be. Ill still probably do a few side ops, and the FOB missions are quite fun but I think now its time to move on. So sad :(

How are you able to play as your avatar?

You must finish the game first and then pick your avatar at the loadout screen.

PillarEN

I've been pecking away Peace Walker HD post credits. Got two questions. I really need to improve my R&D team as I need to develop some specific weapons for these higher tier side missions. How do I do that? Should I just use the device that shows skills of enemies and hope to find high ranking R&D people that way? No problem if that's the method.

My second question is about the Recruiting menu. I always only have one person fighting against me. Why? What will it take to have like at least 3 people come for recruiting? I'm guessing that's how you eventually get the trophy for consecutive CQC hits. But even this far in the game the recruits are mostly scrubs in terms of what they offer.

Bonus question. When will I finally go on a date with Kaz?

Yeah, you'll have to go into missions with those binoculars, but I think if you change tabs on mission selectable It will tell you the kinds of soldiers you can find.

I don't think the recruitment mission is particularly useful late game.

Rajang

I've been pecking away Peace Walker HD post credits. Got two questions. I really need to improve my R&D team as I need to develop some specific weapons for these higher tier side missions. How do I do that? Should I just use the device that shows skills of enemies and hope to find high ranking R&D people that way? No problem if that's the method.

My second question is about the Recruiting menu. I always only have one person fighting against me. Why? What will it take to have like at least 3 people come for recruiting? I'm guessing that's how you eventually get the trophy for consecutive CQC hits. But even this far in the game the recruits are mostly scrubs in terms of what they offer.

Bonus question. When will I finally go on a date with Kaz?

Yes, you can use that device but for a few pointers:

Most of the best soldiers/recruits are in the perfect stealth missions.

2 A rank R&D POW's (that morale up into S rank) and Medical are found in mission 49, its a perfect stealth mission. There are a lot of soldiers but the main ones you wanna get are the POW's.

High rank mess hall is found in mission 46, also perfect stealth.

High rank intel in mission 47 on or the destroy the barricade Main Ops mission (requires fulton mine or fulton launcher, the snipers on the cliffs are S rank in intel).

And the best combat soldiers are the ones you get through the recruit mode or by doing the red skull missions. Red skull missions are really hard, I would only do those if you have bandana + fulton launcher.

Some tips for recruit. The higher your heroism the higher the chance of you attracting higher rank recruits The best soldiers I have are the ones I got through the recruit option.

Also if you only get like 1 recruit at a time, play some MP. You can try to COOP some of the extra ops boss battles (this will also increase your heroism). Do that like one match and try the recruit option again. It should get you more recruits.

And for Kaz you need to beat Peace Walker Custom.

Yeah, you'll have to go into missions with those binoculars, but I think if you change tabs on mission selectable It will tell you the kinds of soldiers you can find.

I don't think the recruitment mission is particularly useful late game.

The best soldiers are in the recruit option, especially late game where you have higher heroism than early game. More heroism = better recruits.

PillarEN

Yeah those stealth missions are great. Really improved my staff overall. I'm satisfied with how things are progressing there.

At this point I only have tank/chopper battles as along with the supped up main bosses. Pretty tough. Especially if it's 4 skulls or more. 4 I can handle. Been even going for full stealth on a couple (even though it takes me some time but better than being ripped to shreds). These extra hard missions are definitely kicking my ass though. I still think I need to slightly improve R&D even though I'm slightly above Lv. 70.

The online community seems dead to me. I've tried a few times to play a versus match or co-op and I've come up empty handed. minor thing though as I'm not interested in that aspect anyway.

When it comes to tanks that are stupidly well armored and the more difficult chopper battles. What are the typical strategies you guys apply? For tank stuff I've started to resort to full on stealth because it takes forever to get the tanks health down enough for the captain to show his head. For the choppers I've read that you can get the captain out earlier if you shoot the glass covering the cockpit? Is that true? I don't seem to see that being the case. What weapons do you guys use in the case you are not going for full stealth? Doesn't have to be exact weapon. Just the general sorts of weapons.

Rajang

Yeah those stealth missions are great. Really improved my staff overall. I'm satisfied with how things are progressing there.

At this point I only have tank/chopper battles as along with the supped up main bosses. Pretty tough. Especially if it's 4 skulls or more. 4 I can handle. Been even going for full stealth on a couple (even though it takes me some time but better than being ripped to shreds). These extra hard missions are definitely kicking my ass though. I still think I need to slightly improve R&D even though I'm slightly above Lv. 70.

The online community seems dead to me. I've tried a few times to play a versus match or co-op and I've come up empty handed. minor thing though as I'm not interested in that aspect anyway.

When it comes to tanks that are stupidly well armored and the more difficult chopper battles. What are the typical strategies you guys apply? For tank stuff I've started to resort to full on stealth because it takes forever to get the tanks health down enough for the captain to show his head. For the choppers I've read that you can get the captain out earlier if you shoot the glass covering the cockpit? Is that true? I don't seem to see that being the case. What weapons do you guys use in the case you are not going for full stealth? Doesn't have to be exact weapon. Just the general sorts of weapons.

Tanks are the hardest imo. I do the lower ranked tank missions with stealth using smoke grenades, holding up enemies and using fulton. But the high level ones I leave untill I have developed the fulton launcher + bandana. All you do is have the stealth suit and bandana equipped. You throw a smoke grenade in front of your feet, switch to fulton launcher and then fulton all soldiers you see. And whenever the smoke almost dissapears you throw another smoke grenade. You repeat this untill all soldiers are gone and you can just take out the captain. I recommend you keep using the smoke grenades even when the captain shows himself, the tank can almost one shot you if he spots you.

And thats the strategy I use as well for the choppers. But you need a sniper with very high stopping power and decent spread. The best sniper to take out the choppers is the PTRS 1941 rifle, but you need an engineer with an anti tank rifle design skill to develop it. You should have the schematics for the weapon if you cleared perfect stealth mission 49 with an S rank.

What I do is hold up the first 4 patrol units using a smoking grenade and then completely focus on the chopper. The soldiers wont fight even when the chopper is alerted, they will only fight you if they get hit by the chopper. All you do is aim for the windshield and shoot away untill it breaks, then use your Mosin Nagant or MK.22 to take out the captain. Make sure you're wearing the battle dress and having healing items on you because you will definitely be taking hits from the chopper unless you're really good.

Alerts dont lower your rank in vehicle battles btw.

PillarEN

I've now more or less found my go to strategy for chopper battles in the hangar area (the jungle area scares me as I don't know where to really hide from everyone and these choppers are mighty deadly at this point). I go to the end (south I think) with the roof and two metal boxes in front of it. Take a pot shot at the chopper from around the second metal box (further away from the roof area) and then place the fulton mine right where I shot. The four enemies crowd around and can't see me as as I've retreated behind the first box inside the roof area. If they don't trigger the mine I shoot at it. 4 gone. I try to repeat this step until I'm out of fulton mines. Then I move on to assassinating them with my sniper if they are far away. Or if they come by my are I try to lure them into the roof area so the chopper can't see me. Unleash the smoke grenade and CQC everyone into unconsciousness. Then I fulton them with the regular fultons. For me it's very safe as I find it a great way to avoid chopper detection.

Also, don't you have to do some damage to the chopper if the guy spots you before you dispose of all the ground troops? When he doesn't detect you and you remove all the soldiers he pops out right away. I find that pretty essential. I basically have lots of respect for the enemy chopper firepower and once they see you it makes the battle a mess. So I almost don't even try if I get caught.

What I do is hold up the first 4 patrol units using a smoking grenade and then completely focus on the chopper. The soldiers wont fight even when the chopper is alerted, they will only fight you if they get hit by the chopper. All you do is aim for the windshield and shoot away untill it breaks, then use your Mosin Nagant or MK.22 to take out the captain.

Interesting. I should try this when I get a stronger sniper rifle.

Coreda

Recently enjoyed The Art of Metal Gear Solid V. In part from its satisfying focus on mechanical technicality but primarily for how closely the final game matches the vision detailed by the artists. There are numerous beautiful illustrated concept pieces that are created for games but often the designs end up being substantially different to the concepts for reasons like tech, budget, change of direction, or those involved, which is why the calculated and faithful nature of the output stood out to me.

PEkBT9J.jpg

From the small screw plates on the underside of the Motherbase anti-theft devices, down to the simple trolley used to wheel out the birthday cake once a year, there was a careful consideration for each object which was adapted. Various cutscene and environmental concepts were also rather vivid depictions of the final versions, particularly Ground Zeroes, the prologue and the Devil's House.

Only criticism I have is it could have provided complementary translations of the Japanese text and thoughts and background from the directors/designers. Given the troublesome latter stages of production and unceremonious exit of Kojima the latter is more easily forgiven.

Kindekuma

Banned
so who's hyped for MGSurvive?

Not really hyped but cautiously optimistic?

The core gameplay of V is so good, so Konami can't really screw that much up. I bet the online player base will die down quick for it. Still mad about how the game just blatantly uses DD apparel and gear with just justifying it as "lol wormhole".

Top Bottom