• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

ManaByte

Gold Member
What I thought of as the first "boss" was the armored eye thing that sends the red ring projectiles at you. Either you can do them in a different order, or it was just a mini-boss and I didn't know because I haven't seen what happens when I beat a "real" boss yet. 🤷‍♂️
I consider the eyes to just be mini bosses since they just charge up your blaster to kill the stalker robots. Real bosses give you something when you defeat them.

Jsisto

All I can say is WOW. I can’t remember the last time I’ve played a game with such a sense of….momentum. Even after dying dozens of times to the same boss or EMMI, it was next to impossible for me to put it down. Samus feels so amazing to control once you get the hang of it. For me, the main drive above all else was seeing what powerup would come next and how much more adeptly I’d be able to traverse the world once I got it. Everything just felt so right. I felt like a godamn superhero by the end of the game. The way the game rewards you for mastering abilities make the bravado displayed by Samus in the cutscenes all the more satisfying and makes it feel directly related to the gameplay in ways that are hard for me to describe. 10/10, GOTY, best 2d Metroid ever IMO.

edit: Now that I’m thinking of it, the confidence Samus shows the whole time just gave me huge Doom Slayer from Doom 2016 vibes, while not taking it to such a comical and over the top degree. Loved it.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Where to go after speed boost upgrade?

I have explored for about 2 hours now, got so many missile tanks lol, I know I'm missing something simple...

Edit: I found it, and now I remember I wanted to backtrack to collect some items them forgot where the main path was... Oops.

Last edited:

Porcile

Oddly enough I never found an instance where I thought this would be needed so It never crossed my mind to try it. Going to try it now lol.

I think a few sections after getting the speedboost there was an unknown item in a narrow channel with a single speedboost block either side of it but the block was not on the ground, so I assumed you needed to Shinespark the Morph Ball in midair to break the block.

CGiRanger

Banned
One thing this game has made me realize that I've grown tired of with most Metroidvanias is that, the maps are almost always 100% static and non-changing whatsoever. When the core of the genre is making you backtrack or explore, having to go through the same corridors or rooms over and over again really becomes tiring.

Thankfully Dread was not afraid to experiment with this in minor degrees. I hope that in the future other games in the genre begin with further ideation on this. Though it helps that Dread is expertly paced so that you mostly will be able to remember or be guided by visual cues to your next objective or places where you need to traverse over again with your new abilities.

tkscz

After beating the game, here are my thoughts without spoilers.
1. So happy they went with Super Metroid's style of exploration vs fusion's.
2. The bosses are satisfying because of how difficult they are. Enough losses you realize the patterns and take the win.
3. I still don't like the speed boosting puzzles for items, I'm glad there are fewer of them than in fusion, but I'd rather they not be there.
4. The map does a lot to assist with item finding and the markers are a great idea, but no longer have direct marks for missed items sucks. Especially sense if you run passed an item that isn't hidden (out in the open but you can't get it), the map won't flash.
5. The story is basic but works here. I'd say it's better than other M but that's a low bar that's easy to be above.
6. I miss scanning for backstory. The game has environments I wish I could know more about.
7. While not impressive on a technical level, the art in the game is beautiful. I really like the world they are building here.

I enjoyed the game a great deal over all and will continue item hunting (at 86%). I'd put this at third best Metroid, behind Super and Prime but above all others

Buggy Loop

I live this game. I'm on second boss. I have the pattern down now. Do these bosses get harder after this? I read people had trouble with this one. If it gets harder than this idk if I can beat them. Lol

I think the 2nd boss is more of a gatekeeper of telling you to step it up to avoid attacks and start being smart. I found the boss after easier as I better understood what kind of game they wanted to make. The boss fights are almost rythme games. (Haven’t finished last boss, maybe that will blow in my face)

Cutty Flam

Banned
One of my favorite things is how little bits of story are injected here and there. That was the only thing Super Metroid was ‘missing’ but really didn’t need at the same time. But I love story in games like this. One of the reasons I’d love to play the Metroid Prime games and finish them this time around

I’m at the part where Samus witnesses the last Chozo on ZDR get killed right in front of her

Buggy Loop

Whom ever made those crazy shinespark puzzles has a special front row seat in hell.

The Office I Give Up GIF

carlosrox

Banned
Got to the 2nd main boss?
Kraid

I made 2 attempts at it and called it for the night. I'll continue another night.

And yes I actually did get lost this time. I missed a path I could take with the Varia suit since I assumed the tiny bit of lava I saw meant you shouldn't take this path yet. I was a fool.

I also missed some breakable blocks in the third area of the game but that wasn't where I needed to head yet so it didnt really help me. But I still missed some blocks I shoulda broke!

Be careful!

ssringo

I thought this game's shinespark puzzles were some of the easiest in the franchise. Only 1 or 2 gave me more than a minute of trouble and that was mostly due to using analog instead of d-pad for movement.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Supposedly 16 hours in (It's more, just that the game is not counting the times I died, tho not much more) and I'm in the last boss... I'm almost feeling hopeless to ever beat him, this is insane... but I could beat the Ys 1 boss on the broken PC port that multiplied everything speed so I can do this... I hope so... I'm at 95% items found btw.

Regarding the last boss...
I'm in the phase where he throws that "sun" that spams waves while he shoots me with cannon, I've come this far but I doubt I can ever kill him since I can't even aim at him anymore... I have like 250 missiles and barely had 0 last round on that phase... I hope this is the last phase, idk what else am I supposed to do to kill him...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think I'm nearly done and I'm heart broken. This has been absolutely Steller from start to finish and ive been glued to it. I'm actually trying my best to drag it out. I believe I have all the power ups and I'm supposed to go to the last area but I just went and sprawled the first 4 areas managed to 100% one or two and I'm at like 94% on the others with no idea where the items are.

I was listening to a podcast, rebel fm, where they were complaining about the difficulty, the map and having to use a guide because they got stuck. I've not experienced any of this...sure I got a little stuck for like 15 mins trying to suss where to go but never looked up a guide and it only took a bit of back tracking and thinking to suss where to go.

I think this game is absolutely genius. Sound, graphics, animation and most of all fluidity of control. Just incredible. Goty material for sure.

Don't want it to end! That says it all.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I think I'm nearly done and I'm heart broken. This has been absolutely Steller from start to finish and ive been glued to it. I'm actually trying my best to drag it out. I believe I have all the power ups and I'm supposed to go to the last area but I just went and sprawled the first 4 areas managed to 100% one or two and I'm at like 94% on the others with no idea where the items are.

I was listening to a podcast, rebel fm, where they were complaining about the difficulty, the map and having to use a guide because they got stuck. I've not experienced any of this...sure I got a little stuck for like 15 mins trying to suss where to go but never looked up a guide and it only took a bit of back tracking and thinking to suss where to go.

I think this game is absolutely genius. Sound, graphics, animation and most of all fluidity of control. Just incredible. Goty material for sure.

There's second playthoughs, hard mode, sequence breaks.

I got the game early and beat it days ago but I'm still playing.

Last edited:

scalman

o man could they made that double jump more harder ? i mean why double jump must be so precise and hard to achieve ? just press jump button 2x yes ? well not how nintendo thought... lets make double jump precise shit hahaha . i dont even wanna use it after i get it now. and some areas becoming so weird now and hard to pass so much precise jumping last second with double jump ... not my favorite map at all i can tell yh...

o man could they made that double jump more harder ? i mean why double jump must be so precise and hard to achieve ? just press jump button 2x yes ? well not how nintendo thought... lets make double jump precise shit hahaha . i dont even wanna use it after i get it now. and some areas becoming so weird now and hard to pass so much precise jumping last second with double jump ... not my favorite map at all i can tell yh...
I had some issues with the space jump. From what I can tell you can't be jumping straight up. You have to start it by going left or right.

SirTerry-T

I think with this title, some gamers are getting their first dose of that classic 16-bit era style gameplay. No hand holding and lots of puzzle platforming.

Jsisto

You have to think of it a little differently. The double jump can only be triggered the moment you start to fall back to the ground. It will not work when you’re still ascending. The moment I realized this I was pulling them off effortlessly. Yes, they should have done a better job explaining this,

You have to think of it a little differently. The double jump can only be triggered the moment you start to fall back to the ground. It will not work when you’re still ascending. The moment I realized this I was pulling them off effortlessly. Yes, they should have done a better job explaining this,
That's helpful.

Certinty

So how hard is this game? I'm a little tempted but if it's as hard as Dark Souls (which someone mentioned?) I'm definitely out. Definitely don't want a game where I'm dying constantly.

Aldric

So how hard is this game? I'm a little tempted but if it's as hard as Dark Souls (which someone mentioned?) I'm definitely out. Definitely don't want a game where I'm dying constantly.
Depends, what is your experience with the franchise, the genre and 2D action platformers? I'd say it's significantly more challenging than the majority of Nintendo's output on Switch (the only games with comparable difficulty would be Tropical Freeze and Octo Expansion) and significantly more challenging than AAA titles on other platforms but it's really not that bad. You'll die quite a lot regardless of your skill level and experience mainly because of the EMMI sections but the game isn't punishing at all, nothing like Dark Souls, you have plenty of generous checkpoints that allow you to try again quickly.

Certinty

Depends, what is your experience with the franchise, the genre and 2D action platformers? I'd say it's significantly more challenging than the majority of Nintendo's output on Switch (the only games with comparable difficulty would be Tropical Freeze and Octo Expansion) and significantly more challenging than AAA titles on other platforms but it's really not that bad. You'll die quite a lot regardless of your skill level and experience mainly because of the EMMI sections but the game isn't punishing at all, nothing like Dark Souls, you have plenty of generous checkpoints that allow you to try again quickly.
That doesn't sound too bad at all, especially with the checkpoints. Think I'll give it a go now. Thanks mate.

scalman

i get how double jump work but why it must be so hard if you not precise you just wont make it so try again and again and again.. i mean its just double jump haha.
enjoying emmis , they hard sure and you die first times sure but when you learn room and learn where it goes its then simple avoid it .

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
i get how double jump work but why it must be so hard if you not precise you just wont make it so try again and again and again.. i mean its just double jump haha.
enjoying emmis , they hard sure and you die first times sure but when you learn room and learn where it goes its then simple avoid it .
You'll get space jump and screw attack. Those 2 combined with double jump technique is way too strong basically just one-shot the normal enemies and alos is crucial for the boss battles

Last edited:
You'll get space jump and screw attack. Those 2 combined with double jump technique is way too strong basically just one-shot the normal enemies lol
I saw a tip in this thread just a few posts ago. Going to try it when I get home.

It says it only triggers when you are descending. I've also had times when I counted on a double jump and it didn't quite trigger. I thought it was because you have to be moving left / right and can't do it when jumping straight up, but this could be the explanation. It's just one tiny detail they didn't mention in the move description. I'll try it when I get home.

Last edited:

xandaca

Finished the game this morning and I'll be the outlier and say I'm disappointed. It's certainly not a bad game, but aside from the outstanding controls and animation, it really doesn't feel as though it has moved with the times as Metroidvanias have become increasingly popular. This is the most refined 2D Metroid, but that's really all it is. In some respects, it's arguably lesser, specifically in how it actively discourages exploration until the very end of the game. When playing through the story, the game guides you very well: I was rarely lost, and on the few occasions I was, it wasn't for very long. However, when attempting to go off-piste, the map design often forces you to take really long, circuitous routes (even with all power-ups unlocked) when it would have been incredibly easy to include a shortcut or even keep a door open. Ori and the Will Of The Wisps has a smaller map and is less subtle in guiding you, but is beautifully designed to encourage and reward exploration, with plenty of opportunities to open up new routes and make navigation swifter, which Dread very much lacks. Ori is also far more atmospheric and has a much stronger sense of place: ZDR, by contrast, felt like generic-Metroid-locale-101. Dread really feels like it lacks depth for me. Power-ups are the bog-standard expansions and the story is really all there is to do. Could there maybe have been a system to upgrade some of your weapons manually, or secret upgrades a la Prime? Could the story have tried a more non-linear structure in parts? Could there have been some sidequests, whether for material rewards or to discover more about ZDR and its relation to the Chozo? The game has plenty to recommend it, but the updates it has undergone since Fusion feel minimal and, yes, the price is an issue when other Metroidvanias offer more for a significantly smaller outlay. Metroid doesn't have to turn into something it isn't, but does need to keep growing. Dread is fine, and perhaps a sideways step is what was needed after the series' almost two-decade break, but feels chronically unambitious.

On a separate note, I loved almost all the bosses and it was immensely rewarding to train until being good enough to take them on while barely taking damage, but it really annoyed me that there were unspoken conditions that had to be fulfilled in the last two in order to stop the fight going on ad infinitum. For Experiment Z-57, you have to blow up its legs when they attach themselves to the walls, or else it heals and you have to start all over again. I ignored his legs as they weren't doing anything and fought him for fifteen minutes before finding out what had to be done online. The game never hints that this is an essential action to take, nor is there any reason why it should be. The final boss also has a bit of this, in that if you don't continue attacking immediately after a counter, the battle will also go on forever. I usually only shoot once post-counter, which wasn't enough, so the game wouldn't progress through to the boss' second phase. Again, while most people probably will attack non-stop, I had to search online for what I was doing wrong. In both battles, there are sections where these conditions make damage effectively irrelevant, in that you can't beat either boss through wailing on him alone, which shouldn't be the case.

Finished the game this morning and I'll be the outlier and say I'm disappointed. It's certainly not a bad game, but aside from the outstanding controls and animation, it really doesn't feel as though it has moved with the times as Metroidvanias have become increasingly popular. This is the most refined 2D Metroid, but that's really all it is. In some respects, it's arguably lesser, specifically in how it actively discourages exploration until the very end of the game. When playing through the story, the game guides you very well: I was rarely lost, and on the few occasions I was, it wasn't for very long. However, when attempting to go off-piste, the map design often forces you to take really long, circuitous routes (even with all power-ups unlocked) when it would have been incredibly easy to include a shortcut or even keep a door open. Ori and the Will Of The Wisps has a smaller map and is less subtle in guiding you, but is beautifully designed to encourage and reward exploration, with plenty of opportunities to open up new routes and make navigation swifter, which Dread very much lacks. Ori is also far more atmospheric and has a much stronger sense of place: ZDR, by contrast, felt like generic-Metroid-locale-101. Dread really feels like it lacks depth for me. Power-ups are the bog-standard expansions and the story is really all there is to do. Could there maybe have been a system to upgrade some of your weapons manually, or secret upgrades a la Prime? Could the story have tried a more non-linear structure in parts? Could there have been some sidequests, whether for material rewards or to discover more about ZDR and its relation to the Chozo? The game has plenty to recommend it, but the updates it has undergone since Fusion feel minimal and, yes, the price is an issue when other Metroidvanias offer more for a significantly smaller outlay. Metroid doesn't have to turn into something it isn't, but does need to keep growing. Dread is fine, and perhaps a sideways step is what was needed after the series' almost two-decade break, but feels chronically unambitious.

On a separate note, I loved almost all the bosses and it was immensely rewarding to train until being good enough to take them on while barely taking damage, but it really annoyed me that there were unspoken conditions that had to be fulfilled in the last two in order to stop the fight going on ad infinitum. For Experiment Z-57, you have to blow up its legs when they attach themselves to the walls, or else it heals and you have to start all over again. I ignored his legs as they weren't doing anything and fought him for fifteen minutes before finding out what had to be done online. The game never hints that this is an essential action to take, nor is there any reason why it should be. The final boss also has a bit of this, in that if you don't continue attacking immediately after a counter, the battle will also go on forever. I usually only shoot once post-counter, which wasn't enough, so the game wouldn't progress through to the boss' second phase. Again, while most people probably will attack non-stop, I had to search online for what I was doing wrong. In both battles, there are sections where these conditions make damage effectively irrelevant, in that you can't beat either boss through wailing on him alone, which shouldn't be the case.
And it took me a hour to figure out you are suppose to use super bomb to counter raven beak solar flare move in the final phrase.

Top Bottom