• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm right at the end of the game and can go to the last boss, but I'm going to collect the last few items first for 100%.

This has been my dream Metroid Fusion sequel. Everything I hoped for is here and even surpassed.

One of my favorite things about Metroid games is you start out weak, but if you work hard you can become incredibly strong. The tagline for the commercial "Become the bigger threat" has never been so on point.. 🔥

What an absolutely fantastic game. ❤️

SCB3

Just pulled the trigger. £34.99 from Curry’s. I swear with every major publisher now wanting £70 for a game Nintendo’s pricing is more than palatable. Can’t wait for this one.
What strange is that Nintendo used to be the worst for Price reductions, I meant BotW is still almost full price 4 years later

Banjo64

cumsessed
What strange is that Nintendo used to be the worst for Price reductions, I meant BotW is still almost full price 4 years later
It’s odd, BotW and Smash Ultimate have held their (higher) RRP everywhere, £47.99. Everything else is fair game though and varies between £30 and £40 day one at retail. I’m loving it.

IKSTUGA

100%'d the game yesterday and started a hard mode run immediately afterwards. It's super intense and I absolutely love it!

Music is literally the only gripe I have with Metroid Dread, otherwise it's just pure perfection.

Well Done Ok GIF by funk

Last edited:

scalman

after you getting speedbooster how to jump on speedbooster up if you have no space to run and power speedbooster itself... hmmm ...
but i guess ill find that on net more faster then find answer here... and again answer with words doesnt mean anything here , its needed to see like in action.
maybe i need to obtain more stuff to do that not sure.. noone tells that in game anyway ....
hope controls wont get too difficult with all combos pressing buttons same time and doing stuff ...

Last edited:
I’m curious if anyone will find a better control scheme?

While Metroid Dread doesn’t allow mapping, the console allows you to do it at a system level. I remember a few peoples or reviews complaining that they would have liked button mapping… well it’s all there..

show
Everyone's different, so I'm sure people will figure out something a few people may prefer.

Abilities discussed:
But man, you can tell they polished this control scheme as much as humanly possible. You don't ever have to fight for your right thumb since you stop and aim with the left stick while easily accessing buttons on the right hand. You use both triggers, and it feels good. ]Even the act of using a grapple beam block pull makes you hold it down so it feels like you're pulling in your brain. Charges on two different buttons. Triple air dashes with ease. Parries with ease. It's one of the most elegant control methods I've ever seen for so many abilities. Jump and air dash are right next to each other in terms of buttons for ease of use. Parry is right next to shot. Less used abilities on L3 and R3. Even the dpad has multiple useful shortcuts, and they're placed exactly where I'd want them. And then when you start getting more abilities than you have buttons, they figured out an easy way to do that too - Ice missile and Storm Missile. Slide and Morph ball easily sharing the same button, and it feels good.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions and I've become wary of the super hyped honeymoon period where a game comes out and everyone goes OH MY GOD GOAT only to settle down and admit all its flaws a week later.

So to make sure I don't fall for that again I decided to demo the game on PC last night. I played for thirty minutes, turned it off and steeled myself to rush to the store ASAP today. This is exactly the type of game I am begging for Nintendo to deliver, that I was becoming afraid they just didn't care to make anymore, which reignites fandom and for which money is simply not an object.

I wonder if it's too late to find a special edition. This is a real shot in the arm because with all the WiiU ports and halfassed efforts, much of my respect for Big N was riding on this title, and I was skeptical.

I'm especially impressed with the control scheme. It feels TIGHT. Some way find it awkward at first, but I can tell it was intelligently designed and getting used to will probably give you the most fluid control of Samus in any game yet. Definitely better than in Fusion which is the only Metroid I finished 100%.

That's pretty hard to believe.
Just take their own word on it not being true. MS was always good. Nintendo did help them get better though.

"Nintendo is a one-of-a-kind publisher that make one-of-a-kind games”, Alvarez said. “They're special. They are unique. They care about games. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that after two years, 80 or 90% of all the conversations we've had were about stuff that gamers care about. Only the remaining 10 or 20% were about business or usual publishing stuff. That ratio is unique to Nintendo. When you deal with them at a close distance, you understand why they are who they are. I'm not going to lie to you; they are extremely demanding. They require the very best constantly, all the time, and beyond. But it's been a great experience.”

"We've worked in the past with other publishers, with Codemasters, with Konami, and they were very different experiences. We had a great experience with Konami, but Nintendo is another thing. There are many, many Nintendo fans who don't like any other games except for their games. Now I fully understand why that is.

Alvarez added, "it has been a pleasure, we have learnt a lot. Honestly, they have made us a better developer."

Loving game but hate kraid . So will go from boss away now explore more see ifvi missed some hot red rooms there on all 3 maps and maybe i upgrade some more at least get more rockets.
Wish i could use some god mode cheat i would use that just on bosses and the turn off for main game. Because i hate boss fights. It i wont pass kraid means that will be it for me i drop game for good . I saw some cheats for game allready out there. If they work would be great.
The unique thing about this game is that if you get stuck, we can give you tips to succeed. The bosses are so well designed that once you know what to do they become a lot more manageable.

Ogbert

Yea Complex is probably more accurate
I think there are some legitimate points to be made about the controls. I would suggest a couple of inputs are ‘cumbersome’.

I think the basic act of morphing is too fiddly and the grapple hook is a bit off.

SCB3

I think there are some legitimate points to be made about the controls. I would suggest a couple of inputs are ‘cumbersome’.

I think the basic act of morphing is too fiddly and the grapple hook is a bit off.
When I played Super a few months ago this was also a thing I noted, it almost feels like some of the commands need to be flipped (like aiming feels like it should be naturally)

Its not a major deal and you get used to it

00_Zer0

Grapple hook is tripping me up on a certain underwater boss right now. Having so many functions on the trigger buttons are really testing my muscle memory and reflexes right now. The boss is somewhat easy to a point but I always fumble my grapple hook right when the boss clobbers me real good. It's beyond frustrating since this is the first Metroid game where I am having these kind of issues.

Last edited:

Eevee86

after you getting speedbooster how to jump on speedbooster up if you have no space to run and power speedbooster itself... hmmm ...
but i guess ill find that on net more faster then find answer here... and again answer with words doesnt mean anything here , its needed to see like in action.
maybe i need to obtain more stuff to do that not sure.. noone tells that in game anyway ....
hope controls wont get too difficult with all combos pressing buttons same time and doing stuff ...
A few of the items you need shinespark for give you the bare minimum of space to ready it. It's really not a long run, but hitting it just at the right spot takes some timing.

Buggy Loop

I think a speed run of this game will be a spectacular show with the nature of the difficulty and map maze / section skips. Nintendo might just have created a speed runner’s wet dream here. There will be some super skilled individuals that will have records in this game.

CGiRanger

Banned
Personally I think they made the best Castlevania game as well. Unpopular opinion, but Lords of Shadow is great.
Yeah. MercurySteam got a lot of flak on several levels that I felt were undeserved.

Initially from Castlevania "Purists" (mostly SotN fanboys) who felt it was "Not" Castlevania, even though I'd say it was a fine addition and was more in line with pre-SotN Castlevanias like SCIV or similar. Also got a lot of flak for being a "God of War ripoff" at the time as well.

But they delivered a real solid game with great aesthetic visuals, solid controls and some very beautiful environment and character designs, along with some tremendous voice acting.
Just take their own word on it not being true. MS was always good. Nintendo did help them get better though.

"Nintendo is a one-of-a-kind publisher that make one-of-a-kind games”, Alvarez said. “They're special. They are unique. They care about games. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that after two years, 80 or 90% of all the conversations we've had were about stuff that gamers care about. Only the remaining 10 or 20% were about business or usual publishing stuff. That ratio is unique to Nintendo. When you deal with them at a close distance, you understand why they are who they are. I'm not going to lie to you; they are extremely demanding. They require the very best constantly, all the time, and beyond. But it's been a great experience.”

"We've worked in the past with other publishers, with Codemasters, with Konami, and they were very different experiences. We had a great experience with Konami, but Nintendo is another thing. There are many, many Nintendo fans who don't like any other games except for their games. Now I fully understand why that is.

Alvarez added, "it has been a pleasure, we have learnt a lot. Honestly, they have made us a better developer."
With Lords of Shadows 2 they got railroaded by a lot of things, including a disgruntled former employee spreading rumors that the media picked up on and reported without any checking. Also Konami was going through its own issues as that game was coming out and affected the development.

But yeah, it seems like working with Nintendo has proven to be a much more successful venture.

Loving game but hate kraid . So will go from boss away now explore more see ifvi missed some hot red rooms there on all 3 maps and maybe i upgrade some more at least get more rockets.
Wish i could use some god mode cheat i would use that just on bosses and the turn off for main game. Because i hate boss fights. It i wont pass kraid means that will be it for me i drop game for good . I saw some cheats for game allready out there. If they work would be great.
I had a hard time too, but just slow down. Once I slowed down, I could easily dodge his attacks and get the pattern down.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Maybe I just haven't played a Metroid in a while, but I feel like this one is a little less obvious on where you're supposed to go next than most Metroid games I've played.

When I first got to Catari, I wandered around and was like ok every area is gonna kill me with heat damage, so it's obvious I'm not supposed to be here quite yet. Turns out I was and there was a breakable wall I didn't know the first time, and wandered around for an hour before going back there and shooting it by accident.

tommib

Grapple hook is tripping me up on a certain underwater boss right now. Having so many functions on the trigger buttons are really testing my muscle memory and reflexes right now. The boss is somewhat easy to a point but I always fumble my grapple hook right when the boss clobbers me real good. It's beyond frustrating since this is the first Metroid game where I am having these kind of issues.
Yeah. It took me like 5 tries because I kept sending missiles instead of using the hook. Eventually your fingers follow your brain. :)

Maybe I just haven't played a Metroid in a while, but I feel like this one is a little less obvious on where you're supposed to go next than most Metroid games I've played.

When I first got to Catari, I wandered around and was like ok every area is gonna kill me with heat damage, so it's obvious I'm not supposed to be here quite yet. Turns out I was and there was a breakable wall I didn't know the first time, and wandered around for an hour before going back there and shooting it by accident.
Also FYI for whenever you get a new item: hover over and icon on the map and hit Y to filter for that icon only. Can scan for all of a certain type of block / door within seconds.

This game might as well just become my fucking GotY

fuck me

FUCK ME
Yeah it was tied with a few others for GOTY for me, but with where im at now(Pretty much the end, getting a few more items) I can say this is game of the year. I knew it was going to be great to me cause I've loved Metroid ever since I watched my big bro play the NES Titles, and then I ran through Super Metroid..but this just feels special.

Everything about it just feels right. Such a damn good game man, its officially my GOTY as of now and I don't think anything else coming for the rest of the year will change that.

CGiRanger

Banned
It's funny, the boss I've died the most to so far was the one after a certain long cutscene after getting to Ferenia.

Even though I kept dying, I enjoyed that the Boss was not a "Gimmick" boss in terms of needing to use a specific way to beat it. It was just about getting down with the controls and keeping your reactions in check and such.

I really love how thoughtful MercurySteam was with the Bosses in this game. It's been a long time since we've had a game with some real good Boss design in gameplay. So many bosses these days in even the "AAA" games are just so unmemorable.

OsirisBlack

Banned

stand still and tap the slide button you will morph instantly its good for dodging certain enemies and boss attacks in a pinch. As far as the grappling hook try not to use the L1 button unless you absolutely have to. It actually slows me down. Controls are pretty perfect in my opinion but it took me a minute to get the hang of fast grappling.

MacReady13

I posted in the other Metroid thread but it bears repeating here- this game is sensational! I was a bit iffy on it for the first hour or so. Took me a while to warm up to what it was trying to do but it all clicked very fast after that and I love it! I can't get enough of it. It is (so far) easily my game of the year and, as this stage, I can't see anything getting close. Who said you need 4K 120 fps to show what a game can truly do???

Dr Bass

I was going to write basically a full review of this game because I had so much to say over the course of the game but now that I'm done it would just take too long so I'll try to sum up instead. Full spoilers so I wouldn't read it until you finish. If you care to read it at all. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Fantastic game and the first truly great Metroid Sequel since Super IMO. The Prime games are ok, but I think the series loses a lot going to first person and this game shows why. First, Samus has a ton of personality just watching her run around the areas. The way Mercury Steam added so many touches like the way she will put her hand on walls or bomb openings as you approach, and can shoot like that, even in the 360 setup just adds so much "life" to the character. Second, the platforming (and controls) in this game is outrageously good. I was worried this game would feel like every other "cheap" 2.5D game we have seen so many times over the years, but nothing could be further from the truth. Samus is fast, precise, nimble ... basically every positive adjective in the book. Again, this is lost in the translation to First Person. So you take away the amazing shooting and platforming present in 2D Metroids, and you're left with a game about exploration where you don't get to even see your iconic character while playing. I hope after Prime 4 they drop the format and only do 3rd person games.

This game also flips the usual script on its head a bit. Instead of starting at the top of the map and descending into the depths to find your adversary, this game starts you at the bottom and requires you to find your way back to the surface. Areas started out feeling a bit samey, which initially worried me. Again, the accusations of "cheap, indie" feel lingered. But this thankfully proved to not be true at all. Chozo ruins, underwater vistas, forest regions, and of course the requisite sci-fi base settings provide for plenty of variety. One of my favorite moments was spending the initial game in that mentioned standard sci-fi setting, and then approaching and entering Burenia for the first time. It's like all of a sudden you go from a tech setting to being in Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. And it felt awesome, and reminded me that yes this IS Metroid. It was at this moment my worry about it everything looking similar completely disappeared.

The graphics are overall great. I love great visuals of course (Ratchet and Clank on PS5 was incredible this year), but at the same time I do not care as long as they are serviceable enough to the game where it doesn't detract from the experience. This game has style to spare and features plenty of cutscenes for bosses and some story segments. More so than any Metroid I can remember. And Samus is the complete opposite of the character presented in Other M. Cool, confident, and capable. She even has some voice over sections where, again, her character comes across exactly as a Metroid fan would hope. Still one of the best characters in gaming IMO.

As mentioned, the controls are incredible, to a degree where I was surprised. This is the fastest Metroid game I think I've played. The 360 degree aiming works far better than Samus Returns (based on my memory of hating it in Samus Returns and thinking I hope this is always in future games), the control scheme works great for managing so many capabilities, and I think this is a new high water benchmark in control for this kind of game. I had been hoping for a true 2D Metroid for years now, complete with world class sprite work and huge sprawling worlds. I don't think we need that anymore, and indeed, that would be limiting because you simply wouldn't get that massive range of motion and action Samus is capable of in this game, because it would simply require far too many sprites. This is the best control in any Metroid game IMO.

Bosses are incredibly well done, and they all follow a similar pattern. They tend to do a lot of damage so you won't survive many hits, and attacks come fast and furious. This can lead to feeling overwhelmed the first time you face them with a feeling of impossibility. But give it a few tries and the patterns reveal themselves. Focusing on dodging then allows you to stay in these battles while you try and pile on the hurt in between dodging attacks that recently felt totally insurmountable. It's completely possible to go from feeling like you'll never beat a boss to being able to beat them without getting hit over the course of 10-15 minutes, and every boss (for me) more or less followed this pattern, including the last one. But it felt brilliant and perfectly balanced in that respect. I don't want to mow over a boss on a first try, and I also don't want to grind for hours to beat something. This game has the perfect balance of learning and executing on the boss encounters. On top of that, the design for all of them are great. Most of the actual major bosses tend to be huge and imposing. There is also foreshadowing for many of them, whether it's seeing one of them being, essentially, operated on by machines, or the level sprawling tentacles/roots of another before you actually get there. Overall, perfectly executed bosses IMO.

The music and sound ... this is the one area that the game fails in IMO, and it's a bummer for me. Super Metroid is one of the all time classic game scores. There is so much atmosphere in that game and strong themes, that this game feels like a complete let down in comparison. Think about the intro to Super Metroid, where there isn't even music. But the sound of the Research Station is eerie, isolating, but also engrossing as you travel through it, looking for what caused the distress signal. Think about lowering onto Zebes after the intro with the thunder and lightning and ominous string section playing as you descend to the site of your previous battle with Mother Brain. Or entering the Ghost Ship before it's brought back to life. Then on top of that you have iconic music of Norfair, Brinstar etc. There was just so much mood. And I don't know if that game has truly been "topped" in that sense. This game feels like they didn't even try. I think Burenia stood out as having a bit of atmospheric music that was nice, but most of it is not only forgettable, the music volume is mixed down pretty low compared to the sound effects. On top of that the sound effects also feel weak. In Super Metroid I can perfectly recall the sounds of firing missiles, picking up Energy tanks, engaging the speed running option. I just played Dread for ten hours and don't really remember any of the sound effects. They just didn't have the "impact"

The design of this game is "dense" for lack of a better word. Everything is tightly packed in and there are tons of enemies to take on at pretty much all times. While there are scenes that are massive in scope, you don't really "explore" those scenes. The scale of the map consistently threw me off because you actually SEE the layout of the screen in the map, as opposed to each screen being a square in a grid. I would look at a map and feel overwhelmed with the thought of needing to get to the other side of an area only to realize that it just took a few minutes at most. Again, this is because of how fast you can traverse in the game, along with the map scale being entirely different from Super Metroid, which is the last 2D Metroid game I've played (I did finish Fusion but that was so long ago). However seeing that detail in the map screen is completely necessary. I often had to plan my path to get to a wanted destination, because there are so many different kinds of doors, barriers, roadblocks, etc. in this game that I don't think you can just go willy nilly in the direction you want. So towards the end of the game I was definitely more used to the how the levels and map were executed. However the side effect of this design is that the game feels both massive and small at the same time. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Comparing it to Super Metroid again, SM had areas that felt huge. Like you were truly exploring alien vistas. I'm not sure I got that feeling of "scope" in this game outside of a few notable screens (taking trams between areas, approaching the Chozo ruins towards the end). It's extremely hard for me to describe because a lot of it is just a "feeling", but I think this game could have been a bit better in the sense of feeling like I was exploring a huge alien planet. But at the same time, the game also felt huge. A strange dichotomy.

The E.M.M.I.s were fine. I think the sound there again let us down. The sound of the robots was not intimidating or scary. They just sounded a bit goofy to me actually, and this points back to the importance of sound design in games. Looking at something like the Empire Strikes Back when the Imperial Probe droid makes an appearance, the sound of the transmission as well as the sound it makes as it hovers over Hoth is decidedly meant to be creepy. The radio signals are oddly human sounding while being completely unintelligible. Something in that vein would have helped the feel of the E.M.M.I.s IMO. I am also glad they are in clearly marked zones. I thought you were going to be chased for the ENTIRE game, but keeping them to specific areas allows the classic Metroid feel to be the predominant setting of the game. And you get enough tools to avoid and dodge the E.M.M.I.s that those sections are still fun to me, without feeling like "oh no, here we go again."

Overall, this game is a 9/10 for me. It would have been a 10/10 for me with better sound and music. To me music is so important, it can make or break movies, games etc. Bringing a Star Wars comparison back again, the original Star Wars would not have been nearly the hit it was IMO, without the incredible orchestral score. Lucas originally wanted trendy disco/laser sounds from what I have read. The movie would have been a joke, all because of the sound. For Dread, If we had gotten new iconic music for each area, with amazing atmosphere and sound effects, I think this would have been an easy 10. It's overall that good. But sound matters in a big way and I think this game lets us down there. But it still does things that I didn't expect. It moves Metroid forward. The new abilities, the more in-depth controls, while being perfectly responsive makes for an incredible game. This game perfectly encapsulates what I was they would do with their other franchises like Star Fox. Use the classic formula, but bring new elements to it without making it gimmicky. We got a new planet, new characters. New lore, along with new gameplay. But at the same time it always felt like classic Metroid. I don't think that's easy to do, and I didn't think this was the kind of game that Nintendo cared to even make anymore. So in the end I am floored. This game is right up there with Super Metroid for me. I think it does some things better while Super does other things better, and no other Metroid game has ever done that IMO. I'm glad the game was not made 15 years ago. It would have been a lesser experience.

P.S. Kraid was totally unnecessary. Wasn't he basically a space gangster along with Ridley in Metroid 1? Wreaking havoc with the Mother Brain? Yeah he was a dragon looking thing even then, but how he evolved into this giant, mindless, Space Beast with belly button issues, is a mystery to me. And you know ... he was dead (but I guess Ridley keeps coming back too). Unless of course there are just a series of Kraid like monsters throughout the galaxy, but in that case, that takes away from his uniqueness in the previous games. This choice makes even less sense to me since there is basically no other element of the previous games here, so it just feels randomly thrown in. Not even classic Metroids make an appearance (which is a GOOD thing IMO).

Yes, those were the short thoughts. :messenger_tongue: I have a lot more thoughts on the visuals and different aspects of the game, but I think I'm good for now.

Okay, played another few hours (in area 4 now) and I love and HATE it.
Controls, visuals, cinematics are excellent, but linearity and just kills it for me! Everything is just "expected" - what to do and what item to get.

Now it's not about how smart you are to get this item, it's about getting upgrade before, then you can get it. Maybe it's okay if only it was not THAT often. Game constantly teases you with something and then blocks you from getting it. This door is blocked, other door blocked, this is only for morph ball, this only for bomb, this only with shinespark, this is too high and you can't wall jump and so on so on. There is waaaay too much "NO" in this game already. It killed exploration completely for me! Just try to go somewhere other than what's intended and after half-hour you will find yourself lost on other part of the map, with maybe 1 or 2 bonus missile upgrades that you got and all other items are behind "item brick-wall" - you just not supposed to get it now, without certain item. What a waste of time on exploration! There are blocked doors EVERYWHERE. Again - Area 4 and I even don't remember almost anything that was prior it. This game until this point is big fucking NO to exploration and player creativity.

Sad, very sad.

(I also understand that we NEED such broad-wide Metroid game that sells well to ensure a future for series. It's good, but I'll wait for another metroid game that is more hardcore in metroid-vania sense)
Great game. Not enough "metroid" for my taste.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m curious to see if I’ve hit the half way mark, but I also want to avoid spoilers. I’m having a great time. I don’t really have complaints except timing for EMMI’s gets frustrating. I ordered the Amiibos. That’s how much I’ve enjoyed this game.
Headed to Elun for the 2nd or 3rd time after I got the double jump and the ice missiles

Dr Bass

I’m curious to see if I’ve hit the half way mark, but I also want to avoid spoilers. I’m having a great time. I don’t really have complaints except timing for EMMI’s gets frustrating. I ordered the Amiibos. That’s how much I’ve enjoyed this game.
Headed to Elun for the 2nd or 3rd time after I got the double jump and the ice missiles
I think you're passed the half way mark yeah.

Dr Bass

Controls, visuals, cinematics are excellent, but linearity and just kills it for me! Everything is just "expected" - what to do and what item to get.

Now it's not about how smart you are to get this item, it's about getting upgrade before, then you can get it. Maybe it's okay if only it was not THAT often. Game constantly teases you with something and then blocks you from getting it. This door is blocked, other door blocked, this is only for morph ball, this only for bomb, this only with shinespark, this is too high and you can't wall jump and so on so on. There is waaaay too much "NO" in this game already. It killed exploration completely for me! Just try to go somewhere other than what's intended and after half-hour you will find yourself lost on other part of the map, with maybe 1 or 2 bonus missile upgrades that you got and all other items are behind "item brick-wall" - you just not supposed to get it now, without certain item. What a waste of time on exploration! There are blocked doors EVERYWHERE. Again - Area 4 and I even don't remember almost anything that was prior it. This game until this point is big fucking NO to exploration and player creativity.

Sad, very sad.

(I also understand that we NEED such broad-wide Metroid game that sells well to ensure a future for series. It's good, but I'll wait for another metroid game that is more hardcore in metroid-vania sense)
Sounds to me like you want a sandbox game. What you're describing, as your complaint, is Metroid to a "t". Blocking of progression until you get the abilities to move forward. That's how ALL Metroid games are. I do think there's MORE of that in this game (a lot you can't do initially) so maybe it feels like it's piled on, but I think this game just has more to it than past games. You have more abilities and more ways to get through things. This naturally lends itself to more things being blocked off. There were definitely times I got lost and had to really explore, figure out what to do next. If you're getting frustrated at the beginning though, not sure what to say.

Marty-McFly

Banned

Sad, very sad.

There are weapons you get later in the game that open the whole thing up.

Sounds to me like you want a sandbox game. What you're describing, as your complaint, is Metroid to a "t". Blocking of progression until you get the abilities to move forward. That's how ALL Metroid games are. I do think there's MORE of that in this game (a lot you can't do initially) so maybe it feels like it's piled on, but I think this game just has more to it than past games. You have more abilities and more ways to get through things. This naturally lends itself to more things being blocked off. There were definitely times I got lost and had to really explore, figure out what to do next. If you're getting frustrated at the beginning though, not sure what to say.
I'm okay with "get item" to progress, but this game somehow manage to enrage me with how often it teases you places where you can't go, and being so linear at the same time. I'm playing Samus Returns at same time and I don't get this feeling. It's like Dark Souls 3 versus Dark Souls 1 again. Faster, more streamlined and linear because of that. More freedom is all I want.

Edit: It's funny that after I wrote my previous post I get back to playing. Got a very nice upgrades and wanted to come back to explore and get few items instead of going for intended path. Looked up the map and found 3 interesting items and a new teleport. ALL of them are blocked and I've wasted another 30 minutes again. I'm not kidding or lying. There almost zero reward for exploring or backtracking up to this point.

Edit 2: Sorry for negative early impressions. I've decided to beat the whole game before writing anything more about it. It's a bit unfair and the game is excellent, especially if you not played much metroid games before.

Last edited:

scalman

amazing game in all. just later those enemies turn to 11 sudenly...and its become hard... but its ok .. i mean im still going forward
not on switch though... lol but not cheating too much as well

Last edited:

Aldric

Had trouble with the flying bug boss. Took a solid 15 minutes of retries. They did a good job with the difficulty, its never a pushover but its rarely irritating.
He gave me trouble too but there's a way to make him much easier and I'm a bit mad I didn't think of it:

Also of course sequence breaking helps.

BlackTron

Ok, got home with the game today, fired it up, and just died at the second boss with the big scorpion tail thing.

I decided it was time for a breather, but it's been awhile since I played a game that made me want to get done with my pansy ass "break" already to get back in the fight. Like, why am I even typing this?

SpokkX

I'm impressed to see MercurySteam is pretty much ~95% workforce behind this game development with minimal involvement of Nintendo.
95% workforce yes

..but Nintendo enployees seens to have directed the project. That is basically the most important roles…

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ok, got home with the game today, fired it up, and just died at the second boss with the big scorpion tail thing.

I decided it was time for a breather, but it's been awhile since I played a game that made me want to get done with my pansy ass "break" already to get back in the fight. Like, why am I even typing this?
I thought that was the first boss?

BlackTron

I thought that was the first boss?

What I thought of as the first "boss" was the armored eye thing that sends the red ring projectiles at you. Either you can do them in a different order, or it was just a mini-boss and I didn't know because I haven't seen what happens when I beat a "real" boss yet. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom