• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Hugare

I think what I loved about the weeks leading up to dread from its announcement and its release was how confident the developers were. It was constant gameplay footage, explanations of the mechanics and showing you the powerups. I was concerned at the time they were showing too much... But no they had plenty more not shown. It was just... " Here is our game, it's ready and we can't wait to show it you" and then BAM it released no bullshit.

One thing I'll always give Nintendo over the other companies is that they'll always show gameplay. Sometimes yes.. it'll get a bad reaction but there is very rarely the cinematic cutscene nonsense of other company reveals
Err, remember how Nintendo revealed Prime 4 ? Bayonetta 3? Breath of the Wild 2 ?

Hugare

Yep, and they stopped doing that. They didn't mention or talk about it until there was more to talk about. They learned from peoples ire.
To be fair, they havent revealed a lot of new first party titles since then

But every company does it, Microsoft, Sony, third party ... Games are more complex nowadays, takes time to be made, so its understandable that they reveal new games with cinematics.

Its important for shareholders especially

Porcile

Haven't got the speed booster yet but are we talking Metroid Fusion level of speed booster trickery here?! Real fans know what I mean.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Got to play it today, stopped after I got the morph ball back. Cant say Im loving it just yet. Its better than Samus Returns thats for sure. It plays good, I like the environments and music. It can look rough at times tho, especially in cutscenes. If only the Switch Pro lol.

The LE box is huge btw, damn.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hope everyone is enjoying the game

bczVPKP.png

Fuck Walmart, fuck FedEx.

Porcile

So far the EMMI sections for me are just making a dash for the nearest exit. Not too much stealth puzzling going on just yet.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Fighting the second boss right now. The boss fights are 10/10 as well

This game makes me wish I never slept on the Metroid Prime games. Had both at the time but was always into something else. Hopefully a Metroid Prime Trilogy does get ported to the Switch because fans are going to run through this game. Once you pick it up it the gameplay becomes addicting and it’s tough to put an end to the session

Not sure if I would say trickiest, but that was fun getting the movement down.

Well I just got it after 6 tries. Its actually fun. The game controls so well it wasn't that difficult. Just make sure to hold the direction youre running on wall jumps and dont change until AFTER you wall jump fully.

It feels like I'm fucking ice-skating. And sweet Jesus, that analog aim....

I've played for two hours and I like it, but do I think it's great? Jury's out for me, at least.
The control will take a while to get used to. The last few boss require very good precision to avoid most of the attack.

PanzerAzel

Yeah, enjoying this…..but fuck EMMI sections.

Who thought that having players running around levels like a chicken with its head cut off from an indestructible enemy was fun?

I hate this shit in games. Really, what does it add? Just let me explore at my own pace.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

At yet another masterpiece boss late game in Cataris.

Zero hesitation, this game is 10/10 for me. Editors choice. GOTY. Best in the series. Best 2D action game ever made.

The X-infected monster that guards the thermal supply? It was batshit insane that fight

This game has some 200IQ puzzles for some items that I can’t figure out yet 😨 I must be missing something with the speed boosts and shine spark. I’m trying to avoid video walk throughs as the first time playing a new Metroid is special.

GOTY for me so far. I can’t believe how good it is.

Dr Bass

I think I’m getting near the end but … is it me or this game complex in terms of what to do next? You really need to keep track of things you haven’t completed or barriers you’ve seen in the past. I’ve definitely spent some time scanning the map at times too. For me it’s way beyond previous Metroids in this area.

I think I’m getting near the end but … is it me or this game complex in terms of what to do next? You really need to keep track of things you haven’t completed or barriers you’ve seen in the past. I’ve definitely spent some time scanning the map at times too. For me it’s way beyond previous Metroids in this area.
Kind of but the game is good at nutghing you toward the normal path.

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm really impressed with the game so far. At first the only thing I didn't like was that it was bouncing me around to the different biomes without letting me go back through and explore them all, but I hit the point in the game where it opens up more now, and I think it was mostly a good decision. It took me a while to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go after getting the speed boost. Got quite a few tanks and missile upgrades along the way though, so it's no big deal.

The controls are surprisingly intuitive for everything for me so far except the grappling beam. My hands just go full on stupid when I have to do a jump into using it since you have to hold so many buttons at once to aim it.

Bosses have been great, love that there's always a bonus bit you get for doing the fight well. My reaction for the Kraid boss was a little off so I didn't get to see the cool cinematic if you manage to get the melee counter to hit.

Mercurysteam really delivered here. If I had one complaint, it'd be the music has been mostly meh so far. Still, every now and again when that Super Metroid theme hits, it's pretty sweet though.

Fredrik

At yet another masterpiece boss late game in Cataris.

Zero hesitation, this game is 10/10 for me. Editors choice. GOTY. Best in the series. Best 2D action game ever made.
Haha yeah I’m bouncing on clouds here, haven’t finished it yet but it’s already a 10/10 for me. I don’t understand how this small developer has been able to nail everything so well, it’s a dream game for fans of the metroidvania genre and especially old Metroid games. I can find negatives but they’re so miniscule that I won’t embarrass myself to even mention them.

Last edited:

scalman

Loving game but hate kraid . So will go from boss away now explore more see ifvi missed some hot red rooms there on all 3 maps and maybe i upgrade some more at least get more rockets.
Wish i could use some god mode cheat i would use that just on bosses and the turn off for main game. Because i hate boss fights. It i wont pass kraid means that will be it for me i drop game for good . I saw some cheats for game allready out there. If they work would be great.

Dr Bass

Loving game but hate kraid . So will go from boss away now explore more see ifvi missed some hot red rooms there on all 3 maps and maybe i upgrade some more at least get more rockets.
Wish i could use some god mode cheat i would use that just on bosses and the turn off for main game. Because i hate boss fights. It i wont pass kraid means that will be it for me i drop game for good . I saw some cheats for game allready out there. If they work would be great.
You should have put that name under spoilers but he’s not that hard. The bosses often start out feeling super hard but only have a few patterns you need to recognize and learn. They can go from from feeling impossible to basically kicking their rear in, in about 10 minutes. I actually really love the boss fights. Just learn to like them because he is easy compared to a couple others. And watch for the flash. 😉

Last edited:

Paltheos

When I was looking up an item earlier, in my recommended feed appeared videos on acquiring some early items Late Game Spoilers (particularly, the Cross Bombs and Gravity Suit), so I decided fuck it. I love sequence breaking. Let's do it right now. I seem to have successfully skipped both the Storm Missiles and Space Jump as a result. Skipping the latter in particular has been allot of fun as I have to get creative with my double jumps, wall jumps, bomb jumps, and shinesparks to get everywhere I want to go. It's the kind of frustration I can get behind in a new game since I just like using my abilities and Space Jump's always been akin to an endgame cheat code.

I was a little concerned against the boss guarding the thermal release (that section before the Screw Attack where the entire first area of the game is frozen over as a result) because he just... wasn't dieing even though I was laying into him for like 15 minutes. I was afraid there might be a flag to make sure the player attacks his arms when he props them against the walls to shine a tracking reticle on you and as far as I can tell, I was correct. Another 20 minute fight where I was sure he should be dead and he wasn't going down. Fortunately, I tried out everything in my toolkit, and it seems Storm Missiles aren't the only thing effective against the arms. Charged Diffusion blasts knock them away one at a time. Neat. A minute or so after I knocked off all his arms, he died to regular Ice Missile fire. So yeah, flag there, but it's no dealbreaker.

Performing some cleanup now before I move onto the next items. I'm interested to see if I can skip the two items I passed over entirely.

Misc. sequence breaking spoiler: The game seems to have a safeguard in place preventing acquisition of early Power Bombs. That is, you can't just pick up one of the expansions and get Power Bombs. I've picked up 3 so far, one of them *early*, right after I got the Speed Booster thanks of course to an unintended shinespark. Early PB by expansion is a big thing in allot of other Metroid games (Super, Fusion, and Prime 1 and 2 come to mind). I suppose I shouldn't be surprised they'd just hard set acquisition of the main set as a requirement to avoid any really ridiculous shenanigans, but I'm still a little let down. :(

Marty-McFly

Banned
The depth of this game is similar to BOTW where people will be finding out new things years later. Some of the sequence breakers are incredible you really can play this game any way you want. I'm on my 4th playthrough and just discovered some hilarious new shortcuts when I got the bombs early. You should see some of the stuff people are doing. I don't want to give any spoilers but check out sequence breakers on google if you want to see some amazing stuff.

scalman

You should have put that name under spoilers but he’s not that hard. The bosses often start out feeling super hard but only have a few patterns you need to recognize and learn. They can go from from feeling impossible to basically kicking their rear in, in about 10 minutes. I actually really love the boss fights. Just learn to like them because he is easy compared to a couple others. And watch for the flash. 😉
dont wanna know about those "harder" bosses then at all lol. man it will be hard . but i wanna upgrade and explore its such fun and cool gameplay.

7:30 in and the game just gets increasing difficult. Regular enemies now start to kick your ass. Then again, I kind of suck. Got lost for an hour and a half because I didn't quite understand what to do after a certain upgrade, when in fact it was quite straightforward.

Before that I purposely went back to try and get some items from the first map onwards, so took my time with that as well. And now after a few more upgrades, i want to go back AGAIN to try to get a few more I couldn't before.

The story change where EMMI were deactivated...I was like, oh common now, that was such a good challenge, and now it's gone ????

And then... they bring it back...Soooo nice.

Also, the X parasite enemies are difficult. I'm trying not to use the counter, but I think I will have to start to use it...

Love this game.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Just finished it. Will try and post in depth thoughts tomorrow.

Clear time said 9:40 but it felt like more to me. The game felt huge and I was glad to finish it. People wanting longer games than this are nuts IMO and I’m actually going to be stepping back from playing for awhile because of how much time games take. A ten hour game, a few times a year, is perfect to me.

Last edited:

Fredrik

i hate boss fights.
Lots of people here can give you hints if you want them. Just ask. But it’ll be more fun if you find out a good strategy yourself. Just take it easy and study the attacks, the boss fights are like puzzles, everyone so far has gone from ”Gaaaah this is impossible!!!” to ”First I just do this… then this… then this… and then I win. Piece of cake!”.

Eevee86

The X-infected monster that guards the thermal supply? It was batshit insane that fight

This game has some 200IQ puzzles for some items that I can’t figure out yet 😨 I must be missing something with the speed boosts and shine spark. I’m trying to avoid video walk throughs as the first time playing a new Metroid is special.

GOTY for me so far. I can’t believe how good it is.
Most of them require pinpoint accuracy of bouncing off walls and then readying the shinespark in the right place. One of them you have to reset the shinespark like three times.

SpokkX

I am up to the "point of no return" and curretly cleaning out the map classic Metroid style

This game is basically a classic. I am not sure if it surpasses Super Metroid - but it sure is close

That mercury steam produced this only proves that Nintendo can elevate pretty much any developer

I am up to the "point of no return" and curretly cleaning out the map classic Metroid style

This game is basically a classic. I am not sure if it surpasses Super Metroid - but it sure is close

That mercury steam produced this only proves that Nintendo can elevate pretty much any developer
Personally I think they made the best Castlevania game as well. Unpopular opinion, but Lords of Shadow is great.

Top Bottom